Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,160 members, 7,963,795 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 07:19 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14642) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12516162 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14639) (14640) (14641) (14642) (14643) (14644) (14645) ... (16730) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 12:46pm On May 25, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Nigeria U20 Flying Eagles continue their fearless/menacing displays: Humbles Brazillian Conquerors 2-0 - Part 2

MOTM: Benjamin Frederick

The Attack

#9 Salem Fago Lawal lost most of his duels but his willingness to use his targetman profile to win the first balls in the final third, knocking them down or feeding his flanking wingers was quite lovely to see. His Linkup plays were also quite a delight to watch in few phases. A hardworker up front who occupied the Italian CBs and he took his Goal very well like a badass. A number 9 that can score. Good for his confidence.

#11 Ibrahim Muhammed Beji. It is a wonder how Beji is yet to truly take off at this tournament. Nigeria is firing now but her best player at the Wafu B and the U20 Afcon is yet to exactly assert himself. Imagine what would happen when Beji finally comes into his own at this World Cup. Anyway, he wasn't at his best today and was rightly taken off at halftime.

#15 Jude Sunday is as first level menacing as first level talents come. Yes, he did struggle in the first half to exert himself on the game as the Italians doubled up on him but with time he grew into the game and began to cause problems with his speed, footwork and dribbles. Also helped out Agbalaka defensively in phases and crowned his industrious showing with a beautiful goal thanks to Aniagboso's lovely "Alisson-like" route 1 assist. 😂😂

#19 Emmanuel Umeh came on for Beji and instantly settled into business on the RW before he moved centrally after the Salem Fago sub out for Haliru Sarki. Umeh is a central attacker (CF) but his introduction by Bosso as a false winger and foil to Fago's targetman profile really worked a treat. His direct playing style, power and pace saw him trouble the Italian backline and on one of such occasions, he clattered into an italian CB, hit the ground, dusted himself off immediately and beautifully set up Fago for a sweet headed goal.
His introduction at the beginning of the half saw his direct playing profile sync beautifully with the progressive game changing qualities of the new look Daga-Eletu-Nnadi midfield before Eletu eventually got subbed off on 67mins due to a knock.

#7 Haliru Sarki came in for Salem Fago which moved Emmanuel Umeh centrally to his more natural. Sarki instantly began to worry the Italian backline with his mad trickery, wicked pace and strength on the ball.

Sarki completed all 4 of his dribbles for a 100% dribbling success and won all his ground duels (7). A real menace on his day. He was also quite impressive in the first game vs Dominican Republic with a 100% dribbling success (3/3) and won all 5 of his ground duels.
Should Ibrahim Beji fail to pick up form, he may lose his starting berth to Haliru Sarki. Time will tell.

Notable mention:

#20 Joshua John... I forgot to mention him when analysing the midfielders. He came in for Victor Eletu and just kept things ticking in the middle. Nailed all his passes. Decent 23mins + added time showing.

Coach Ladan Bosso. I score him 8 over 10. I believe he should have started with the midfield 3 of Daga-Eletu-Nnadi but he decided to keep Lawal in the first XI. I wasn't comfortable with that but I was glad he at least included Eletu in the midfield alongside Daga. I knew that double pivot would work a treat.

Bosso eventually corrected his midfield selection mistake by withdrawing Lawal and throwing in Nnadi to finally see us enjoying our best midfield flow at this tournament between 46 and 67mins. Even Joshua John came in for Eletu and didn't look out of place.

In all, Bosso got his subs right. But it is an 8 from me because I believe a coach should be bold enough to recognise the best balance from the start. If I as an analyst could bring that out, then as a coach, you should be doing better. Mistakes like these may cost you in the first 45 before you have a chance to change things. We were lucky not to go a goal down after that Italy strike struck the bar in the first half. Lawal wasn't working in the CAM role as planned but Bosso made the change and the Italians hardly had a sniff of our goal coz we took total control of the middle game battle.

In all, kudos to Ladan Bosso. I see us going very far if we keep this up.

#MDU20WCDiaries

Thank you, TheSuperNerd.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 12:49pm On May 25, 2023
codemaniacs:

The other teams have players with full grown beards but it's Nigeria's players you're accusing falsely.

You're the tribalist. That's why your brain created a problem with players ages where there is no problem.

Racists and tribalists brains have issues with things that are not supposed to be an issue.

There's discrimination based on age.

Discrimination is discrimination.

So saying an overaged player should not play in an age-grade competition is "discrimination based on age"?

I blame our failed educational system in this country.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nomyth: 1:03pm On May 25, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Kid seems team-oriented. Just how I like my midfielders and players in general. He had a chance to talk himself up a little bit based on the fact that he has indeed faced some of those Italian lads back in Italy imstead he just kept it plain and simple saying "we can beat them if we play as a team".

I also love his ambition in this competition. He's not in a hurry to go back to AC Milan.😂😂 He wanna win this thing.

Good interview catch Basco. 🤝🏻🤝🏻

Plus this guy looks genuinely U21.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 1:08pm On May 25, 2023
andrew444:

I found out Harry Kane signed a new contract after levy refusing to sell him to mancity for about 150 ,so he should be blamed for that ,he should be leaving as a free agent now and teams like Bayern Madrid will rush him at 29

It’s your confidence for me thinking mourinho will win guardiola at the carabao cup final if he wasn’t sacked

He had done it in the league before the final game, He might as well do it again
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:11pm On May 25, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Daniel Daga, Victor Eletu, Benjamin Frederick, Tochukwu Nnadi are all definitely boys. Even Bameyi looks really young.

So your take is not entirely true.

True. Exactly why I made the post above. Not all of them belong to the "overage" category.

Nomyth:

Plus this guy looks genuinely U21.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:13pm On May 25, 2023
Meliforme:

Thank you, TheSuperNerd.

Always a pleasure, Dear Meliforme 🤝🏻

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 1:17pm On May 25, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

Always a pleasure, Dear Meliforme 🤝🏻

Bro what’s d update on eletu injury
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:21pm On May 25, 2023
lovewins:
Eberechi Eze makes the England Squad against Malta.

He'll probably get capped and then get ignored much later.

Tomori still doesn't get the nod.

If Eberechi was white he would be celebrated like an English Messi.

See all the attention Mason and Maddison get compared to Eze
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:24pm On May 25, 2023
I understand it's not so serious. He would be fine. Bosso could even rest him vs Brazil.

elyte89:

Bro what’s d update on eletu injury

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nomyth: 1:25pm On May 25, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

True. Exactly why I made the post above. Not all of them belong to the "overage" category.

Oya, let's dimension the teams that can be potential winners and threats to the flying eagles.
The Americans and the hosts have looked very solid to me.

And maybe the Brazilians too.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Hanibal(m): 1:28pm On May 25, 2023
Curtisaxel10:

There is nothing positive about men in their late twenties beating a set of teenagers.

Nothing.

Na this same thing Tiamiyu do, and you go follow drag am on Twitter

If we ask you to bring hard evidence to prove any of them is above 20...

You'll start saying "he looks 40"
I know a sister cousin daughter friend who was his classmate in 1939.

Abeg rest.
Stop dragging your country in the mud

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:30pm On May 25, 2023
Curtisaxel10:
My only problem with this U20 team is that they are grossly overage. For all we know, they could all be in their mid to late twenties i.e at their peak.

This means the boys have only two or three years max to perform optimally before nature takes its course and diminishing returns sets in.

For those celebrating that we have found fresh solutions to our SE problems, I would advise caution. It is not yet Uhuru. Those boys are not boys.

Thank you.

There is a lot of noise making and nonsensical arguments on age here.

The reality is we are in a country where integrity is not considered an attribute, deceit and duplicitous behaviour rife.

We don't have AUTOMATIC DATA CAPTURE AT BIRTH

There is no way of substantiating anybody age born in Nigeria. You have to rely on individual integrity in country where there is none.

Look at Ashley Young at 37 looks way younger if he was Nigerian he could play U20.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 1:30pm On May 25, 2023
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 1:31pm On May 25, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
I understand it's not so serious. He would be fine. Bosso could even rest him vs Brazil.

D guy don prove me wrong

If d next coach of super eagles have sense or if it’s still paisero

D last dead rubber game against São Tomé and principe

Dey shld include eletu ,akinsanmiro and daga

If a yum yum defender can be invited for d last games,I c no reason why dis guys above can’t be invited

Make nobody come with deir are not experience storyline cos na mumu full our middle now 😀

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 1:33pm On May 25, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

Rest banwo

With Brazil beating Dominican 6-0,

our group is still Open, Cos I expect Italy to destroy Dominican too,

Hence a draw or win against Brazil will be an added Assurance

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 1:33pm On May 25, 2023
Hanibal:

Na this same thing Tiamiyu do, and you go follow drag am on Twitter

If we ask you to bring hard evidence to prove any of them is above 20...

You'll start saying "he looks 40"
I know a sister cousin daughter friend who was his classmate in 1939.

Abeg rest.
Stop dragging your country in the mud

Tiamyu is condemned because he said what he said TO the British government and people via the BBC. People have been sharing Japa formats here on Nairaland and other Nigerian social media spaces since time immemorial and many have benefited. Who has dragged them?

I am neither the first nor the one-thousandth person here on Nairaland to question the age of overage players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:35pm On May 25, 2023
Hanibal:

Dem don curse us for this country, no one can convince me otherwise!
Why is it that Nigerians find it difficult to just accept something positive about our nation without any negativity?
Why do we like dragging ourselves down all in the name of being "real"?
Just why!?

Na you born them?

A few questions ❓

Is the Nigerian society corrupt.

Is the Nigerian pice force corrupt
Is the EFCC corrupt
Is INEC corrupt
Is the Judiciary corrupt
Is NNPC corrupt.
Is NFF corrupt.

Tell me just one institution in Nigeria that is not endemically corrupt please. And don't mention church please, that's not exempt.

This is the REALITY and this is being REAL

You may wish to be living in a delusional bubble, that's your choice don't blame anybody for being real.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:45pm On May 25, 2023
Lol. "Could" or perhaps I should have used "might". No fear okay.

He may or may not play. But I believe Bosso and the lads would not want to lose that game.

do4luv14:

Rest banwo

With Brazil beating Dominican 6-0,

our group is still Open, Cos I expect Italy to destroy Dominican too,

Hence a draw or win against Brazil will be an added Assurance

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:49pm On May 25, 2023
Do you question Eletu's age as well?

Curtisaxel10:

Tiamyu is condemned because he said what he said TO the British government and people via the BBC. People have been sharing Japa formats here on Nairaland and other Nigerian social media spaces since time immemorial and many have benefited. Who has dragged them?

I am neither the first nor the one-thousandth person here on Nairaland to question the age of overage players.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 1:50pm On May 25, 2023
Curtisaxel10:

So saying an overaged player should not play in an age-grade competition is "discrimination based on age"?

I blame our failed educational system in this country.

You need the education more than me.

You lack comprehension..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:51pm On May 25, 2023
Cc Curtisaxel10

It is what it is but focus on the good side. 👇🏽

TheSuperNerd:

Relax Curtis. Read the above from last year's Wafu B. This is on Daniel Daga.

And on Aigbogun's U20 side, we have a few pearls from that set. Very few though. One of them could even make his SE debut in defence. And one already has made his SE debut but is on a low for now.

They are as follows:

✅️Kingsley Michael made his Super Eagles debut vs Cape Verde in the WCQs (remember?). Although since then, he has kinda faltered as he was recently released by Austrian side, SV Ried after moving from Bologna on an initial loan deal. Unfortunate low.

✅️Akor Jerome Adams is doing well in the Eliteserien and is strongly linked with a Bundesliga move.

✅️Chinonso Emeka is finding his feet in the Slovak Fortuna Super Liga with AS Trencin.

✅️Nnamdi Oforburh was diagnosed with a heart condition after moving to Rangers of Scotland. So he's been inactive ever since. A decent midfield prospect he was.

✅️The Brightest of the lot so far... CB, Igoh Ogbu of Slavia Prague. Moved from the Eliteserien where he impressed at Lillestrøm and secured a move to Peter Olayinka's Slavia Prague. They are Europe bound and he's been a mainstay even winning the Czech Cup this season.

So while I get your points on some of the ills plaguing our football, I just want to draw your attention to a few genuine youngsters who are coming through the same flawed system and making their way to the top gradually.

Lastly.... back to Daga. Below is a pic of Daga from the Wafu B. This was only last year.

He is a genuine kid. Only that he could be 19 and not 16. I DONT KNOW EXACTLY but one thing is certain, he is a very young lad.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 1:51pm On May 25, 2023
Joebie:
This Brazil sure knows how to score goals. VS Nigeria, It will be a matter of who converts their chances most
The coach said he’d field a number of team B players
I hope they can prove the coach wrong and change his mind on why they should be on the team A list
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:52pm On May 25, 2023
Lol... I am glad you now see the "hype" around him is justified afterall.

He's the genuine article.

elyte89:

D guy don prove me wrong

If d next coach of super eagles have sense or if it’s still paisero

D last dead rubber game against São Tomé and principe

Dey shld include eletu ,akinsanmiro and daga

If a yum yum defender can be invited for d last games,I c no reason why dis guys above can’t be invited

Make nobody come with deir are not experience storyline cos na mumu full our middle now 😀

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 1:54pm On May 25, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Cc Curtisaxel10

It is what it is but focus on the good side. 👇🏽

Alright, chief. I hear you. It just pains me that we cannot field genuine young talents who can serve our senior team in the long run.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:54pm On May 25, 2023
Colombia and Ecuador as well.

Still observing South Korea, Uruguay and England.

Lastly, the Gambia looks decent.

Nomyth:

Oya, let's dimension the teams that can be potential winners and threats to the flying eagles.
The Americans and the hosts have looked very solid to me.

And maybe the Brazilians too.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:56pm On May 25, 2023
I can relate, trust me. I have just learnt to channel my focus to the positives.

This current set will feed the Super Eagles in a few areas and most especially in midfield, the department that desperately needs surgery.

Curtisaxel10:

Alright, chief. I hear you. It just pains me that we cannot field genuine young talents who can serve our senior team in the long run.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 2:07pm On May 25, 2023
Curtisaxel10:

I think that most persons here agree with you in principle. Bosso's team is one of the most criticized on this platform (age-cheat inclusive). However, most just want us to focus on the positives of the game yesterday, it doesn't in anyway discount reservations about the ages of those players.

Perspective also matters, while a few of those players look very old (again we can only speculate since we didn't give birth to them and also do not have evidence to validate this), quite a significant number are u21 at the very least. TheSuperNerd listed a few of them who fall in this category. What that means is that in the average, these players will give at least 10yrs of active football of properly harnessed. This in itself is a WIN.

If 30% of this current team turn out to have sterling careers then it's something worth celebrating.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 2:13pm On May 25, 2023
komekn:

If Eberechi was white he would be celebrated like an English Messi.

See all the attention Mason and Maddison get compared to Eze

What exactly has Eberechi Eze achieved to earn that? To suggest he's not being celebrated because if his skin colour is being disingenuous.

Eze has battled with injury for the most part. He's also not had the sweetest ride club wise. He obviously has enormous potentials, but this season is probably the first time he's having close to an above average season performance. The Madison you cited has just 2 England caps at 27, and he's obviously had a more sterling career than Eze. Same applies to mount who until recently was one of the best for Chelsea. Saka and Rashford are examples of black players who have been rewarded and rightly so.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 2:22pm On May 25, 2023
Apart from Akinsanmiro, Uzoho and Awazeim also won cup titles with their teams yesterday

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 2:28pm On May 25, 2023
😎

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 2:36pm On May 25, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
I can relate, trust me. I have just learnt to channel my focus to the positives.

This current set will feed the Super Eagles in a few areas and most especially in midfield, the department that desperately needs surgery.

I totally agree. Thanks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:37pm On May 25, 2023
Of course you know certain monikers are very un-objective whose posts are always tinged with sentiments and emotive bias.

Maddison has performed better based on the number of goals if we compare it strictly with seasons that Eze was fit and healthy. James has an FA Cup title to his name. Save for this season has been part of a Leicester side that hasn't finished below 10th in 3 or 4 seasons but he's enjoying white privilege tongue

lovewins:

What exactly has Eberechi Eze achieved to earn that? To suggest he's not being celebrated because if his skin colour is being disingenuous.

Eze has battled with injury for the most part. He's also not had the sweetest ride club wise. He obviously has enormous potentials, but this season is probably the first time he's having close to an above average season performance. The Madison you cited has just 2 England caps at 27, and he's obviously had a more sterling career than Eze. Same applies to mount who until recently was one of the best for Chelsea. Saka and Rashford are examples of black players who have been rewarded and rightly so.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14639) (14640) (14641) (14642) (14643) (14644) (14645) ... (16730) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: charlesemeka85(m), Jefersoun, victornoah(m) and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.