Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,944 members, 7,963,001 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 11:13 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12511403 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (16728) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:10pm On Aug 20, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Eagles coach Rohr right to call up Osimhen - Amuneke
[/size]

Osimhen

Emmanuel Amuneke has saluted Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr for handing Victor Osimhen his first-ever call-up, saying the Wolfsburg-bound youngster is the future of Nigeria football.

The 17-year-old Osimhen was record top scorer at last year’s FIFA U17 World Cup in Chile and has since featured for both Nigeria U20 and U23s.

He has been named on a 23-man squad for next month’s AFCON 2017 qualifier against Tanzania in Uyo.

“It’s a good thing that the coach picked Victor. He is a growing talent who is blessed with abundant talent. He is the future,” said former Barcelona forward Amuneke, who gave the teenage striker his first break with the Golden Eaglets.

“He will learn from other established strikers in the Super Eagles and that way quicken his growth.

“In more developed footballing countries that is how you bring in your young players.”

Amuneke added: "Young players like Victor and Kelechi (Nwakali, who has signed for Arsenal) are the future Super Eagles and with time Nigeria will be proud of their immense talent.”
http://africanfootball.com/news/639508/Eagles-coach-Rohr-right-to-call-up-Osimhen-Amuneke
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:42pm On Aug 20, 2016
Did u guys see Iheanacho today? Awesome!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:32pm On Aug 20, 2016
Bllistering!!!! wink

BascoVanVeli:
Did u guys see Iheanacho today? Awesome!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:58pm On Aug 20, 2016
Orkpekyandega:
[b][size=14pt]
NFF reject minister's allegations, insist on 'financial integrity'
[/size]

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have issued an official statement to counter allegations by the country’s sports minister over the much publicised delayed departure of the Olympic team to Brazil.

Sports minister Solomon Dalung said on television the team being stranded at their training base in Atlanta was “a hoax” and an attempt to rip Nigeria off.

The NFF said they reject the insinuations by the minister.

Chairman of the NFF media and publicity committee, Suleiman Yahaya-Kwande, who is a ranking member of Nigeria’s House of Representatives, said the entire board was shocked by the insinuations, as the NFF President, Amaju Pinnick, had been giving them updates of useful meetings he has been having with the sports minister since he arrived in Brazil on Tuesday.

“The NFF board and management are taken aback by these insinuations. The NFF president has been telling us of meeting between him and the minister on how to avoid the kind of situation we got into in the USA in the future. So, the Minister’s latest statements are a bombshell,” Yahaya-Kwande said.

“We are not openly challenging the minister, but we must set the records straight. To start, we do not have any partnership with Delta Airlines, a company that we owe much gratitude for the way it came to the rescue to airlift our team to Brazil. The names of NFF’s partners and sponsors are known to the public.

“Secondly, the NFF is not aware of any receipt that was presented to the minister for airlifting the U23 team from Atlanta to Manaus.

“I am aware that the Minister himself requested for the phone number of our FIFA Match Agent (Jairo Pachon, who has been working with the NFF since 2009) when everybody became desperate about how the team would go to Brazil.

“The NFF president gave him the phone number, and the minister himself asked Pachon to go ahead and charter an aircraft, and Pachon reverted that the amount would be $174,000, as against the $300,000 that was bandied earlier.

“However, the money did not reflect in the airline company’s bank account within the deadline it gave to us, so the service was cancelled. We insist that Pachon acted in the best interest of Nigeria.”

Yahaya-Kwande also took the opportunity to react to earlier allegations of the federation bloating the football team’s list.

“Which persons did we increase the team with? There were two alternate players, the team media officer, the team coordinator, the team’s equipment manager and the team’s technical officer, who have always been part of the team’s crew, and who by global standard are required by the team,” he defended.

“When it was made clear that they would no longer be taken care of, we told them to return to Nigeria.

“As I speak with you, the only NFF top officials at the Olympics are the NFF technical director and the NFF president. I would like to be proved wrong on this.

“The NFF board has always displayed integrity in all its financial dealings and have always communicated to the minister on every financial transaction and detail. On this too, we would like to be proved wrong.”
http://africanfootball.com/news/639440/NFF-reject-ministers-allegations-insist-on-financial-integrity
[/b]

I do not know what is wrong with the Minister of Sports but this new Stunt is a shameful situation. It is clear on the video released by Delta Airlines that they came to help our players because they heard the players were stranded.

So how can Hon. Dalung try to make it look as if the NFF officials used Delta Airlines to dupe the Ministry.

Dalung should stop his games and focus on lifting our drowning sports image.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:46pm On Aug 24, 2016
Seriously sad news, Iheanacho had to be carted off tonight after going down unoppossed. Hope it is not that bad.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 6:56am On Aug 25, 2016
BascoVanVeli:
Seriously sad news, Iheanacho had to be carted off tonight after going down unoppossed. Hope it is not that bad.
It was a very scary sight. I first thought he had a heart attack with his movement and how the Romanian tried a mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

Glad it's not as serious...but I think it's a hamstring. Gutted!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:57am On Aug 25, 2016
joseph1013:
It was a very scary sight. I first thought he had a heart attack with his movement and how the Romanian tried a mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

Glad it's not as serious...but I think it's a hamstring. Gutted!

From early reports it does look like an hamstring injury, i just hope he is not out for too long.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:54pm On Aug 25, 2016
People relax, he's okay...

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:17pm On Aug 25, 2016
Doctors have cleared injured Manchester City striker Kelechi Iheanacho to represent Nigeria in their upcoming AFCON qualifier.
The young Citizens starlet left the field on a stretcher during their Champions League qualification match against Steaua Bucharest with what appeared to be a hamstring injury.
However, both Pep Guardiola and Gernot Rohr's fears were put to rest on Thursday when scans revealed no serious damage, meaning that the 19-year-old will be able to participate in the Super Eagles' upcoming tie against Tanzania.
"The scan has cleared Kelechi and he w

ill be okay to play against Tanzania," an acquaintance of the player told Africanfootball.com .
"Even by the time he came off the pitch, he was ready to return, but the doctor preferred to play it safe and now the scan has shown there was nothing to really worry about."

www.kickoff.com/mobile/news/68421/manchester-city-striker-kelechi-iheanacho-has-been-cleared-to-represent-nigeria-next-month

Cc bascovanveli and joseph1013...see, nothing to worry about...just his village witches trying their luck grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:15am On Aug 26, 2016
Do u guys think Iheanacho is better as a midfielder or a striker?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:37am On Aug 26, 2016
safarigirl:
see, nothing to worry about...just his village witches trying their luck grin

lmao!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 10:57am On Aug 26, 2016
bataderemi:
I wanted iheanacho to play as an attacking midfielder but I think he will do well as a supporting striker

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:44pm On Aug 26, 2016
bataderemi:

Iheanacho gets top quality training as a striker at Manchester City. Playing him in another role will mean not utilizing a lot of the lessons learnt at City.

I say he strikes for us.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:00pm On Aug 26, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Iheanacho gets top quality training as a striker at Manchester City. Playing him in another role will mean not utilizing a lot of the lessons learnt at City.

I say he strikes for us.
You mean Manchester City or Super Eagles?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:13pm On Aug 26, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Kayode fires Austria Wien to Europa League group stage
[/size]

Kayode

Nigeria striker Olanrewaju Kayode was the match winner Thursday night as Austria Wien won 2-1 at Rosenborg to qualify for the group stage of the UEFA Europa League.

Austria Wien qualified 4-2 on aggregate having won the first leg at home 2-1.

Kayode found the target in the 69th minute before he was replaced in the 78th minute in Norway.

Another Nigeria star, Moses Simon, provided two assists for Belgian club KAA Gent to trounce KF Shkendija of Macedonia 4-0.

Gent advanced to the mini-league stage of the Europa League on a 6-1 aggregate.

Umar Aminu, fresh from the Rio Olympics, played the entire 90 minutes, as his Turkish club Osmanlispor achieved the double over Danish club Midtjlland to also reach the Europa group stage.

Osmalispor won the first game in Denmark 1-0, before the won 2-0 at home to post a 3-0 aggregate victory.

Wilfred Ndidi was also part of qualified Genk after they defeated Lokomotiva Zagreb 2-0 to go through 4-2 on aggregate.

The Nigeria midfielder played from start to finish as usual.

Incidentally, teammate and Tanzania skipper Mbwana Samatta scored one of Genk's goals and both players will come face-to-face in next week's AFCON qualifier in Uyo.
http://africanfootball.com/news/642324/Kayode-fires-Austria-Wien-to-Europa-League-group-stage
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:14pm On Aug 26, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Emmanuel Daniel says Olympics earned him Eagles call-up
[/size]

Nigeria U23 goalkeeper Emmanuel Daniel

Goalkeeper Emmanuel Daniel has told AfricanFootball.com he earned a call-up to the Super Eagles after his superlative displays at the Rio Olympics.

Nigeria won a bronze medal at the Olympics in Brazil with the Enugu Rangers goalkeeper outstanding for the team.

He was promptly invited to the Super Eagles for next month’s AFCON qualifier against Tanzania in Uyo.

“My invitation to the Super Eagles is a reward for what I did at the Olympics,” said Daniel.

“It’s a big honour to be considered for the Eagles and I hope to continue to work hard.”

Daniel was widely expected to lose his No.1 position in the Olympic team to the more experienced South Africa-based Daniel Akpeyi, but he rose to the challenge to be in goal for five of the six games Nigeria played in Brazil.

“I was very determined to prove myself especially with my big brother Akpeyi also in the team,” he said.

“I was equal to the challenge and that was why I kept my place in the first team.”

By Kola Daniel
http://africanfootball.com/news/642249/Emmanuel-Daniel-says-Olympics-earned-him-Eagles-call-up
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:16pm On Aug 26, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Belgium-based skipper Samatta leads Tanzania for AFCON clash vs Nigeria
[/size]

Tanzania striker Mbwana Samatta

Belgium-based striker Mbwana Samatta will lead a 20-man squad for next month’s AFCON qualifier in Nigeria.

Samatta, who now features for Belgian club Genk after a distinguished stint at TP Mazembe, is the only foreign professional called up by coach Boniface Mkwasa.

The squad is dominated by players from the country’s top two clubs Azam and Yanga with Mkwasa recalling Shomari Kapombe, Haji Mwinyi and David Mwantika.

The September 3 clash in Uyo is a dead rubber game as both countries will not qualify for next year’s AFCON in Gabon after their group was won by Egypt.

Nigeria have picked a squad of foreign pros for this encounter as they hope to use the match to prepare for the 2018 World Cup qualifiers, which begin in October.

http://africanfootball.com/news/642161/Belgium-based-skipper-Samatta-leads-Tanzania-for-AFCON-clash-vs-Nigeria
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:35pm On Aug 26, 2016
Orkpekyandega:

You mean Manchester City or Super Eagles?

I mean for the Super Eagles. If we bring him to play another role with the National team, Iheanacho will not use most of his attacking lessons he had at City.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:13pm On Aug 26, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I say he strikes for us.

Yes, Iheanacho is an almost perfect striker, he can shoot with both right and left, he can head the ball, and he can also drop deep and help his team create chances.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 5:42pm On Aug 26, 2016
Hmmm..."iheanacho almost perfect". it is well. But i know he's very far from perfect.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:09pm On Aug 26, 2016
zoboizee:
Hmmm..."iheanacho almost perfect". it is well. But i know he's very far from perfect.

Guy stop searching, i am speaking on the qualities expected of a striker. Which quality does he not have? Don't just type a sly remark also put ur facts on the table.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:13pm On Aug 26, 2016
I must give a shoutout to the 'Colanut Boy' his goal against Zesco was stupendus.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:26pm On Aug 26, 2016
Please, somebody should tell this foetus to relax, eez nuh by initial gra gra. They are saying players like Zlatan, Pogba and Bravo have joined Aguero, Costa and Bolasie in the EPL and his body is scratching him to enter.

Why he no show Sudan wetin e fit do?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:49am On Aug 27, 2016
BascoVanVeli:
I must give a shoutout to the 'Colanut Boy' his goal against Zesco was stupendus.

Amazing goal from an amazing technique. Very impressive from the Kolanut Boy, Chisome Chikatara.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:19am On Aug 27, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Amazing goal from an amazing technique. Very impressive from the Kolanut Boy, Chisome Chikatara.

The boy is a talent, he just needs to get it all together and be more consistent. I feel he will have something to say about Nigeria making it to Russia.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 9:13am On Aug 27, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Please share a link.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:28am On Aug 27, 2016
joseph1013:
Please share a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSTkMN_zGlw

ZESCO VS WAC 1-1 AMAZING GOAL CHIKATARA (KOLANUT BOY)

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 12:58pm On Aug 27, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I mean for the Super Eagles. If we bring him to play another role with the National team, Iheanacho will not use most of his attacking lessons he had at City.
That will be a nice ideal though.

But wait oooo!
Is Kelechi Iheanacho ready for the physical football common in Africa?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:15pm On Aug 27, 2016
justiz5:

But wait oooo!
Thats where you got it wrong.
Kelechi I. has shown several times what he has got to offer in the striking role, so what else do you expect from him?

He was not bad in our game against Egypt and can do more as he plays more regularly for the team.

He is always a threat to diffenders.

If you are doubt, watch him closely any time he comes on.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:34pm On Aug 27, 2016
justiz5:

But wait oooo!

In Manchester City game against Stoke City, Iheanacho showed his strength when he held the ball and waited for Support from the City midfielders. He laid the ball to Silva, doing a one-two to receive the ball, then squared it to Nolito to score.

He has the strength to cope. He is also mobile and makes it difficult for strong defenders to stop him with their strength.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:35pm On Aug 27, 2016
Isaac Success makes his debut.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:46pm On Aug 27, 2016
Goal!!!! Victor Moses

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (16728) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Kog45(m), Koboko99(m), shawwal1(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.