Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,232 members, 7,936,790 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 11:32 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6815) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12353396 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6812) (6813) (6814) (6815) (6816) (6817) (6818) ... (16575) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 2:28pm On Aug 09, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard reserved special praise for Joe Aribo following Rangers' impressive 4-2 road win against FC Midtjyland in the Europa League third qualifying round on Thursday evening.

The Scottish Premiership giants led 3-0 after 56 minutes thanks to goals from Alfredo Morelos, Aribo and Nikola Katic, before Nigerian midfielder Frank Onyeka reduced the deficit in the 58th minute.

The former Charlton Athletic star continues to show what he's capable of since his arrival at Ibrox, with his strike against FC Midtjyland his third goal in Rangers colors from five appearances in the Europa League qualifiers.

''I have nothing but praise for my players. This is a difficult opposition who have good players,'' said Gerrard to Rangers TV

''They are very big in profile and you can see their set-piece threat. They have got good players and technicians who can hurt you.

''I thought Jon Flanagan for his first start was immense. The two centre-backs were fantastic again and Joe Aribo again gets an unbelievable goal.''

London-born Aribo is willing to represent the Super Eagles if he is approached by the Nigeria Football Federation.

If he continues with this level of consistency he is on his way to a big move.

This Dude is very hungry and determined he has had to fight his way to the top no free hand outs given to.him on the way.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 2:33pm On Aug 09, 2019
komekn:

Consider how Everton play and consider how Iwobi plays.

Then without sentiment ask yourself if his style of play will fit in seamlessly. How many technically gifted players have in the last few seasons thrived at Everton and historically speaking.

Look at the number of players who left Everton and went on to bigger things with football playing clubs. And also those whose careers were truncated and essentially didn't go anywhere after wards.

Do your research it will probably shock you.

But my view remains the same a great bit of business for Arsenal and from a monetary view for Iwobi.
M Silva is trying to change all that. Besides Iwobi is more than a technician na...he has physical qualities too.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 2:33pm On Aug 09, 2019
andrew444:

Royston drenthe got him self distracted at the liverpool lifestyle during his Everton days

Very unserious player

There were many.

There waa this Senegal player that had played with France U21 but a striker for Everton Very very unserious player.

Almost became a night club dj and like to carry excess luggage babes.

I've forgotten his name.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:40pm On Aug 09, 2019
komekn:

When you are in big club with multiple stars you find out there is less pressure on you.

That's both case with Iwobi in Arsenal very little pressure and not too much expectation.

But right now all eyes are in him in Everton with huge expectations from Manager and fans. It's like out of the small simmering frying pan and into the FIRE.

He has to develop mental resilience he is not with the comfort of family and familiar faces in London.

It's a big CHALLENGE but whatever happens he is laughing all the way to the Bank for the next 4/5 years.

Are you saying Alex will have more pressure on him in Everton? That is like saying Wilfred Zaha is facing more pressure at crystal palace than he was at man u.

You do know that an average performance at arsenal would be considered great in Everton?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 2:42pm On Aug 09, 2019
edi287:

M Silva is trying to change all that. Besides Iwobi is more than a technician na...he has physical qualities too.

The operative word being Trying.

If he doesn't get the results this season he will.be under pressure and it will be a win by any means possible.

Nonetheless i am VERY IMPRESSED with him he has brought in a really good guy Luis Boa Morte as his Assistant Manager. . I knew him at Arsenal and more recently at Sporting L. He's a good guy and has been around.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 2:46pm On Aug 09, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Are you saying Alex will have more pressure on him in Everton? That is like saying Wilfred Zaha is facing more pressure at crystal palace than he was at man u.

You do know that an average performance at arsenal would be considered great in Everton?

Zaha waa and stil is the poster boy at Crystal Palace.

That time he spent at Manchester United almost killed him he was close to a mental breakdown with Moyes.

Then all the tall about him having escapeds with the daughter if Moyes did not help matters.

Going back to Crystal Palace was essentially going back to his family.

They are totally different situations.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:46pm On Aug 09, 2019
i agree at arsenal you can't get away with making silly errors even if you put in effort but everton they will be more understanding because they know it's not a top club (yet!)

only pressure i see is from the price tag

BascoVanVeli:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 2:58pm On Aug 09, 2019
chrisooblog:
i agree at arsenal you can't get away with making silly errors even if you put in effort but everton they will be more understanding because they know it's not a top club (yet!)

only pressure i see is from the price tag

When a big club pays £40 million for you it's just about average price for them Its not huge.

However for Everton paying £40 million is HUGE and it will come with HUGE EXPECTATIONS. It's easier to play well surrounded by top players than with less technically gifted players.

The assumption that it's going by be EASIER is simply not true.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:58pm On Aug 09, 2019
komekn:

When you are in big club with multiple stars you find out there is less pressure on you.

That's both case with Iwobi in Arsenal very little pressure and not too much expectation.

But right now all eyes are in him in Everton with huge expectations from Manager and fans. It's like out of the small simmering frying pan and into the FIRE.

He has to develop mental resilience he is not with the comfort of family and familiar faces in London.

It's a big CHALLENGE but whatever happens he is laughing all the way to the Bank for the next 4/5 years.

I understand your point of view.

Coming from a big club like Arsenal and considering also the price tag, a lot will be expected from him.

The weight of expectations will be truly high. But I trust Alex to deliver.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 3:02pm On Aug 09, 2019
There's nothing anyone will say that will make me believe Reiss Nelson, Saka and Martinelli will easily replace this guy.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:07pm On Aug 09, 2019
komekn:

Zaha waa and stil is the poster boy at Crystal Palace.

That time he spent at Manchester United almost killed him he was close to a mental breakdown with Moyes.

Then all the tall about him having escapeds with the daughter if Moyes did not help matters.

Going back to Crystal Palace was essentially going back to his family.

They are totally different situations.

Seriously? How can you even say the situations are different? He clearly had less pressure at Palace this was why he was able to kick on.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:24pm On Aug 09, 2019
yes i did mention the price tag being an issue which would lead to focus on iwobi. however to understand be easy for him why he may find it easier to settle in at goodison is first to look at the reason he was bought. everton couldn't get zaha so alex was the next best option. iwobi is a decent utility player who brings dribbles, take on ability, assists and the odd goal. in the assists category i'm confident he will provide 10+ if not for some wasteful finishing finishing from arsenal strikers last season alex would have cracked 10 assists during the campaign. he might struggle for goals but on the other hand i doubt he will be facing park the bus teams like he was at arsenal.

will it be EASY? of course not! nothing in life is but alex has the tools to do well at everton i have no doubt about that

komekn:

When a big club pays £40 million for you it's just about average price for them Its not huge.

However for Everton paying £40 million is HUGE and it will come with HUGE EXPECTATIONS. It's easier to play well surrounded by top players than with less technically gifted players.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:30pm On Aug 09, 2019
I would like to sometimes see Iwobi play at the striker position for Everton. Silva has used Richarlison in that position before but I actually think Iwobi will do much better because he is so much more bigger and stronger. He could even make the perfect false 9 when you add his skills and mobility.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 3:33pm On Aug 09, 2019
BascoVanVeli:
I would like to sometimes see Iwobi play at the striker position for Everton. Silva has used Richarlison in that position before but I actually think Iwobi will do much better because he is so much more bigger and stronger. He could even make the perfect false 9 when you add his skills and mobility.
Hmmm not a bad idea. He played that position at the youth team back when Thierry Henry was around.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:33pm On Aug 09, 2019
edi287:
There's nothing anyone will say that will make me believe Reiss Nelson, Saka and Martinelli will easily replace this guy.

Exactly, created more chances than ozil.

If not for Aubameyang penchant for missing sitters, his assists stats would have been mental.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 3:35pm On Aug 09, 2019
komekn:

I mean Everton did get both Richarlison and Sigurdsson for 50m each so price tag wouldn't be that much of an issue.
I think it'll be more of moving from a club like Arsenal. Already some pundits are saying Everton got "fleeced".
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:36pm On Aug 09, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Hmm

Iwobi has the finishing of a 5 year old

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 3:37pm On Aug 09, 2019
tbaba1234:

If not for Aubameyang penchant for missing sitters, his assists stats would have been mental.
Yep. People keep forgetting he had 7 assists in the league last season.
All they do is keep mentioning "he scored only 3 goals" like he's an out and out striker.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:43pm On Aug 09, 2019
edi287:

Yep. People keep forgetting he had 7 assists in the league last season.
All they do is keep mentioning "he scored only 3 goals" like he's an out and out striker.

Last season, Arsenal struggled to create without Iwobi and Kolasinac. Ozil was off form and mkhitaryan was poor.

People talk about output but how can you blame someone that created 40 chances for you and your strikers fail to take them.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:44pm On Aug 09, 2019
tbaba1234:

na Aubamryang spoil Iwobi ball pass angry

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:44pm On Aug 09, 2019
Eartquake1:

Hmm

Iwobi has the finishing of a 5 year old

If you could score that his Europa league final goal when you were 5 you would be a real Madrid by now.

IMO Finishing as a winger is much harder than finishing as a striker. Remember the striker is in front of the net mostly while the wingers have to work against angles. The only time I saw Iwobi play anything close to a striker he scored a brace against Argentina.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:48pm On Aug 09, 2019
edi287:

Hmmm not a bad idea. He played that position at the youth team back when Thierry Henry was around.

You know book. This is where I first developed the idea watching his old youth team highlights. I really think that position will favour him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:51pm On Aug 09, 2019
safarigirl:
na Aubamryang spoil Iwobi ball pass angry

You can say that again. Even in the last match of the season when Iwobi took it upon himself to ensure that he was the runaway leader for the golden boot he missed chance after chance.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 4:07pm On Aug 09, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

You know book. This is where I first developed the idea watching his old youth team highlights. I really think that position will favour him.
Did you notice how good his placing of the ball was then compared to now? He used to be quite smooth then...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:08pm On Aug 09, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

If you could score that his Europa league final goal when you were 5 you would be a real Madrid by now.

IMO Finishing as a winger is much harder than finishing as a striker. Remember the striker is in front of the net mostly while the wingers have to work against angles. The only time I saw Iwobi play anything close to a striker he scored a brace against Argentina.

Iwobi is not a good finisher, 1 goal does not prove anything

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 4:09pm On Aug 09, 2019
tbaba1234:

Last season, Arsenal struggled to create without Iwobi and Kolasinac. Ozil was off form and mkhitaryan was poor.

People talk about output but how can you blame someone that created 40 chances for you and your strikers fail to take them.
If Arsenal don't buy another LW(i.e Zaha) in jan, it might come back to haunt us.
Teams will simply employ the same tactics on the right wing with Pepe.
I've never been a fan of playing Aubamayeng out wide. It's a waste of his ability.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:12pm On Aug 09, 2019
edi287:

Did you notice how good his placing of the ball was then compared to now? He used to be quite smooth then...

This was because he had less work to do. The constant running takes away from his finishing IMO

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:13pm On Aug 09, 2019
Eartquake1:

Iwobi is not a good finisher, 1 goal does not prove anything

Then say that because the 5 year old talk is ridiculous
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 4:33pm On Aug 09, 2019
Am.I the only one still not happy with Iwobi 's transfer... We should have sold Mhiki instead.. arsenal and stupid transfer ehn

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 4:40pm On Aug 09, 2019
mostob:
Am.I the only one still not happy with Iwobi 's transfer... We should have sold Mhiki instead.. arsenal and stupid transfer ehn
I still can't believe Raiola duped us into paying that guy 220k a week.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 4:47pm On Aug 09, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

His goal against Cameroon came to mind.Despite the shot was weak,he perfectly placed it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 4:48pm On Aug 09, 2019
edi287:

I still can't believe Raiola duped us into paying that guy 220k a week.
I tire o...220k for playing trash. I hope we get Iwobi back

(1) (2) (3) ... (6812) (6813) (6814) (6815) (6816) (6817) (6818) ... (16575) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Amedino99(m), BankyGee(m), deltafly, COOL10(m), Damioduso1, junnyjake(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.