Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,002 members, 7,960,193 topics. Date: Friday, 27 September 2024 at 02:33 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (7848) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12484533 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7845) (7846) (7847) (7848) (7849) (7850) (7851) ... (16715) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:13pm On Dec 02, 2019
elyte89:

Did u just uttered d statement DT "Nobody ever said we have world class players in did thread?

Speak for ursef dude...at some point on dis thread,it turned to a chorus...Ppu were just dashing our players d title "world class"..I can still recollect vividly if u dont smiley
finally, it was decided that the closest player we had to world class was Ndidi. What was flying about was potential world class?

Ndidi was obviously never going to make a Top whatever Ballon D'Or list
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:16pm On Dec 02, 2019
I'm just glad that Mane made it to the Top 4. He's had s hell of a year, and hopefully, CAF won't pass him up for another Arabian this time.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:16pm On Dec 02, 2019
elyte89:

C ur paddy

He won't go, that guy dey find money now o
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:17pm On Dec 02, 2019
safarigirl:
I'm just glad that Mane made it to the Top 4. He's had s hell of a year, and hopefully, CAF won't pass him up for another Arabian this time.

Mahrez is a strong contender too
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:18pm On Dec 02, 2019
safarigirl:
finally, it was decided that the closest player we had to world class was Ndidi. What was flying about was potential world class?

Ndidi was obviously never going to make a Top whatever Ballon D'Or list

When he starts playing champions league football, he wlll
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:18pm On Dec 02, 2019
ChrisKels:
Ndidi just couldn't contain his happiness

Now, this is brotherly love
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:20pm On Dec 02, 2019
ChrisKels:
Wilfred Ndidi's game by numbers vs. Everton:

• 90 minutes played

• 86% pass accuracy

• 4 key passes

• 5 accurate long balls

• 6 aerials won

• 4 succ. tackles

• 2 interceptions

• 1 dribble won

The Hub ⚡

This dude needs champions league football so that the whole world can see his talent and hard work

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:20pm On Dec 02, 2019
charlesemeka85:
very poor when azubuike xavi iniesta gets 95% accuracy in each of his games.

grin grin

Now I know you're just trolling around

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:22pm On Dec 02, 2019
elyte89:
Meanwhile where is our so called WORLD CLASS PLAYERS...TOP 30 BALLON D'OR,OUR players re MISSING,when oda African players like Aubameyang,salah,mane,koulibaly, etc re making d top 30 list...y re we always missing,yet we claim we av world class players...if I hear pim again angry angry
Rhor is holding them back
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:22pm On Dec 02, 2019
andrewbaba44:
Messi don win am, dem don complete my happiness

Was happy for nacho yesterday, was happy barca won ATM and now messi has won the balon d or to complete it

Baba God this blessings too much for me

I happy for you barca fans too. Messi deserved it. Van digk was massive but you have to be just too unreal to defeat Messi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:23pm On Dec 02, 2019
Danielnino00:

It would take something extraordinary for Ndidi to make the Balon d'or top 10 even if he joins a big club..
defensive midfielders are hardly appreciated!
Look at Makele,Bosquet,Casemiro.... how many times did they make it?

Kante made the 7th position for one year like that or was that the FIFA award? Not sure though
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:23pm On Dec 02, 2019
Danielnino00:

Don't exaggerate .. nobody ever said we have world class players... What we have are decent players! Players who have the potentials to be world class..

All those African players U mentioned up there had to wait many years before they reach the level they are now... our players are still young . give them time.
He didn't exaggerate, people throw the word around so much here

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:26pm On Dec 02, 2019
Blueelf:

He wasn't even Algeria's second best player, Ziyech had a better European season than him. Mahrez doesn't deserve top 3
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:27pm On Dec 02, 2019
Starboytwo:
he can never be an option. .. even an onuachu is currently ahead of him in every department... Forget the guy, maybe England

Your statement is too absolute.

No one knows tomorrow bro

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:27pm On Dec 02, 2019
Blueelf:

I happy for you barca fans too. Messi deserved it. Van digk was massive but you have to be just too unreal to defeat Messi

Agreed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:28pm On Dec 02, 2019
jihday:
He wasn't even Algeria's second best player, Ziyech had a better European season than him. Mahrez doesn't deserve top 3

Hahahaha

You may have a point but that AFCON win with the trophies Man city won boosts his resume too

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:31pm On Dec 02, 2019
charlesemeka85:

Club Brugge winger Emmanuel Dennis has predicted that Lille goal poacher Victor Osimhen will play for either Barcelona or Real Madrid in the near future.

Dennis is aware of the qualities of 2015 FIFA U17 World Cup Golden Boot winner as they were teammates in Nigeria's U23 National Team before their promotion to the Super Eagles.

Touted as one of the brightest young prospects in Africa by the Confederation of African Football, Osimhen has taken the Ligue 1 by storm since his arrival from Sporting Charleroi in the summer and he is expected to move to a more glamorous league if he maintains his goalscoring form.

The Ultimate Strikers product netted during Lille's 1-0 win against Dijon last weekend, taking his tally to 10 goals in all competitions.

''Osimhen is one of the best attackers in France and even in the world. I think he will go far, as far as Barcelona or Madrid. I see him end up in Spain," Dennis told Téléfoot.

With 4 goals and two assists to his name in his last four matches for the senior national team, Osimhen has quickly established himself as the heir to retired Nigeria international Odion Ighalo.

As a replacement for Suarez in Barca is a big possibility but I wouldn't advice him to near Madrid. With Messi behind hi., he would be banging so much goals
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:33pm On Dec 02, 2019
jihday:
He didn't exaggerate, people throw the word around so much here

Aside Ndidi, can u mention one member of our current team that has been tagged world class please?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:34pm On Dec 02, 2019
Hey Chris... Can you all spot Iwobi's expression in the background. It is faded but one can still make it out.... Sad that his team loses but perhaps within that sadness is a small hint of Happiness for Nacho. But right here, right now, in this pic... Iwobi was sad mehn... Especially with Ndidi's mad celebration for Nacho. cheesy

ChrisKels:
I saw Ndidi looking out for his brother in the pitch, he kept finding him with the right passes to ensure he did well.

And when he finally scored, he couldn't contain his joy.

#BrotherlyLove

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:37pm On Dec 02, 2019
elyte89:

Did u just uttered d statement DT "Nobody ever said we have world class players in did thread?

Speak for ursef dude...at some point on dis thread,it turned to a chorus...Ppu were just dashing our players d title "world class"..I can still recollect vividly if u dont smiley

As far as I can remember, Ndidi is the only current super eagles player that has been tagged world class by some people on this thread ..

Can u mention another? perhaps I forgot..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:37pm On Dec 02, 2019
Blueelf:

Mane was better. Mahrez was on the bench half the year, he can chop second
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:38pm On Dec 02, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Hey Chris... Can you all spot Iwobi's expression in the background. It is faded but one can still make it out.... Sad that his team loses but perhaps within that sadness is a small hint of Happiness for Nacho. But right here, right now, in this pic... Iwobi was sad mehn... Especially with Ndidi's mad celebration for Nacho. cheesy

grin grin
I noticed it too
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:38pm On Dec 02, 2019
safarigirl:

Mane was better. Mahrez was on the bench half the year, he can chop second

Sentiments may play into it as per AFCON things
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:40pm On Dec 02, 2019
Blueelf:

Hahahaha

You may have a point but that AFCON win with the trophies Man city won boosts his resume too
CAF does not rate AFCON
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:43pm On Dec 02, 2019
safarigirl:

Hopefully CAF won't allow fans votes to decide the winner .. Those Algerians are hell bent on seeing Mahrez win it..they don't want to hear about how he is a part time player at city or that he wasn't even their best player at the AFCON grin

I winder why Mane doesn't enjoy so much support from his countrymen on social media and the internet like Salah and Mahrez.. Perhaps it's because of the language barrier,but then, Algeria being an Arabic/French speaking country has a huge number of English speaking fans that follow Mahrez everywhere..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:06pm On Dec 02, 2019
Danielnino00:

Hopefully CAF won't allow fans votes to decide the winner .. Those Algerians are hell bent on seeing Mahrez win it..they don't want to hear about how he is a part time player at city or that he wasn't even their best player at the AFCON grin

I winder why Mane doesn't enjoy so much support from his countrymen on social media and the internet like Salah and Mahrez.. Perhaps it's because of the language barrier,but then, Algeria being an Arabic/French speaking country has a huge number of English speaking fans that follow Mahrez everywhere..
Senegal does not have as high a social media presence, as the Arab world.

Arabs are fanatics and extremely passionate wherever they find one of theirs; blacks do not exhibit the same level of fanaticism...I don't know if you have seen Leicester City's Indtagram comment section since Soyuncu joined them...but you won't have to ask if there is a Turkish player on the team, because those people keep spreading their flag everywhere.

The rest of the world will always take the Arab Africans over black Africans, they are an easier pill to swallow.

Black Africans are suffering from years of abuse; they have been conditioned to believe that paleness is superiority. They will sooner support the Arabs, than their fellow negroid Africans.

A black man will have to work three times as hard, to be noticed, while an Arab man can sit on a bench for most of the season, make appearances here and there, and still get noticed.

Mane is brilliant and has been criminally underrated. He deserves this APOTY more than anyone else

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:06pm On Dec 02, 2019
Blueelf:

Sentiments may play into it as per AFCON things

Mane is already winning apoty, no competitor
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:15pm On Dec 02, 2019
safarigirl:
Senegal does not have as high a social media presence, as the Arab world.

Arabs are fanatics and extremely passionate wherever they find one of theirs; blacks do not exhibit the same level of fanaticism...I don't know if you have seen Leicester City's in comment section since Soyuncu joined them...but you won't have to ask if there is a Turkish player on the team, because those people keep spreading their flag everywhere.

The rest of the world will always take the Arab Africans over black Africans, they are an easier pill to swallow.

Black Africans are suffering from years of abuse; they have been conditioned to believe that paleness is superiority. They will sooner support the Arabs, than their fellow negroid Africans.

A black man will have to work three times as hard, to be noticed, while an Arab man can sit on a bench for most of the season, make appearances here and there, and still get noticed.

Mane is brilliant and has been criminally underrated. He deserves this APOTY more than anyone else

Mane is winning APOTY, no competitor

If dem like make the whole Egyptians vote, na mane award, they cant take it away from him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 11:19pm On Dec 02, 2019
andrewbaba44:

Mane is winning APOTY, no competitor

If dem like make the whole Egyptians vote, na mane award, they cant take it away from him

So says god andrew
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:28pm On Dec 02, 2019
Blueelf:

So says god andrew

Its fact broda

If mane where to be white in the liverpool team, nothing will stop him fro coming 2nd in this balon d or

People thinking only van dijk did the work, i no blame them sha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:37pm On Dec 02, 2019
safarigirl:
where was City when Kelechi was in U15? Where City for see am, if he was never drafted into U17?

No be everytime you go talk.

You DISSAPOINTMENT me because you are suppose to be the future of Nigeria. What a bleak future with people like you.

You are supposed to be lawyer and in that context there should have been a transfer of the associated skill set as well as methodology in most of your engagements.

BUT THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NONE.

You should be investigative factual but instead your emotive where substantive deduction are required you are opinionated. How on earth do you intend to be a good lawyer even if you don't practice.

You talk without substance with supposition birthed from prejudiced perception.

Below the fifa definition of home grown players.

My reference to "home grown" was in the context of the FIFA definition not one created by myself.

UEFA defines locally-trained or 'homegrown' players as those who, regardless of their nationality, have been trained by their club or by another club in the same national association for at least three years between the age of 15 and 21.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 11:40pm On Dec 02, 2019
Zach Lowy just did this piece on Osimhen.

Weekly Wonderkids: Episode 2

One of Football Index’s unique attributes as a platform is that it allows traders to pick and choose which players to buy and sell, which to stockpile, and which to keep an eye on in the future. Traders can spot a promising footballer, buy stock in said player, and watch them flourish as the player’s profile grows on the world stage. If you truly believe that a teenage prospect who’s only registered a handful of substitute appearances will go on to become a Golden Boot winner, you have the power to put your money where your mouth is and add him to your portfolio.

Each Monday, Zach Lowy will analyze a new U-23 player who Football Index traders should consider buying in a new weekly series called “Weekly Wonderkids.” With this series, you’ll be able to discover which youngsters you should place your trust in – and money – and why.

Name: Victor Osimhen

Club: Lille

Introduction

From battling relegation to finishing second, it’s been a volatile two years for Lille, who currently find themselves 8th in Ligue 1 – six points behind 2nd-placed Marseille – and bottom of their Champions League group. One can attribute this drop in form to their questionable transfer window, which saw Nicolas Pépé, Rafael Leão and Thiago Mendes depart for three of the four most expensive fees received in the club’s history.

It’s a case of quality over quantity; Yusuf Yazıcı and Timothy Weah have failed to replicate Pépé’s impact, whereas Renato Sanches and Benjamin André are struggling to fill Mendes’s shoes. But while Leão continues to lag behind Krzysztof Piątek in Stefano Pioli’s pecking order at Milan, Osimhen has announced himself as one of the breakout stars of the season at Lille.

As Jonathan Ikoné and Jonathan Bamba struggle to recover last season’s form without Pépé, Osimhen has taken the goalscoring responsibility of the team on his shoulders, having already netted more goals than Leão managed over the entire course of last season. But while this is the season that catapulted him onto newspaper headlines and Champions League nights, Osimhen first revealed his star potential four years ago, in the 2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup.

Record-breaking Dominance in Chile

Osimhen grew up in the Lagos neighborhood of Olosun, home of the largest open-air dump in Africa, and helped his family stay afloat by selling bottled water on the streets. At a time when other strikers were gaining valuable training sessions and world-class coaching, Osimhen worked hard to make ends meet, following his mother’s death and his father’s dismissal from his job as a police officer. Nevertheless, he never gave up his dream of becoming a footballer, and in the U-17 World Cup, his dream finally came to fruition.

Alongside an attack featuring Samuel Chukwueze and Kelechi Nwakali, Osimhen scored in each of Nigeria’s matches to amass a total of 10 goals, powering the Golden Eaglets to the trophy as the Golden Boot winner. To this day, nobody besides Osimhen has ever netted double figures for their nation across a U-17 World Cup.

His goal-scoring figures propelled manager Samson Siasia to start him in next month’s U-23 African Cup of Nations (AFCON) Final, which would also be won by Nigeria. The likes of Inter, Dortmund and Arsenal showed a strong interest in the teenage striker, but it was Wolfsburg who managed to pry him away.

Struggles to Adapt in Germany

He officially joined the German club on January 5, 2017, but his start to life in Europe came to an abrupt halt just weeks later; the €3.5 million new arrival, who had completed surgery on his knee just two months prior, was forced to undergo a meniscal procedure that would rule him out until the penultimate Bundesliga match of the season.

Osimhen made his full debut nearly a year after joining, leading the line against Hannover. But he only managed two more starting appearances for Wolfsburg, with new manager Bruno Labbadia opting mainly for veterans as Die Wölfe waged another relegation fight.

At 19 years old and with only 333 minutes of club football under his belt, Osimhen decided to head west for greener pastures, trying out for several Belgian clubs. Malaria had weakened his body to the point where neither Club Brugge nor Zulte Waregem were willing to take him on loan. Instead, it would be Charleroi who took a chance on him, signing him on loan with a purchase option for €3.5 million.

Resurrection in Belgium; Breakthrough in France

Osimhen took the opportunity by the scruff of his neck, scoring 19 goals in 30 appearances and winning Charleroi’s Player of the Season award. The club just barely missed out on a spot in the Europa League play-offs, after Antwerp came from behind to earn a spot in the ensuing qualifiers.

Nonetheless, this would not dissuade Lille from signing him to replace the departing Leão, and it’s thanks to this signing that despite a substandard start to the season, Lille still have a decent chance of beating out a staggeringly weak group of contenders and securing Champions League football for next season.

It didn’t take long for him to open his tally under Christophe Galtier, with the Nigerian scoring a brace on his Ligue 1 debut against Nantes. Another brace against Saint-Étienne soon followed, and by the end of November, Osimhen had already registered 9 goals and 2 assists. Perhaps most impressively, he’s done it in a Lille team that looks devoid of ideas going forward, last season’s counter-attacking demons withering into a stale, overly conservative side that fails to strike the same fear into defenders. That’s the kind of player Osimhen is though – a natural born killer who only needs a half-chance to bring home all three points.

Apart from carrying Lille up top, Osimhen has also filled the sizeable shoes of Odion Ighalo, who retired from international duty after last summer’s semi-finals exit. During last month’s qualifiers for the 2021 AFCON, Osimhen netted the equalizer against Benin and fired in a brace against Lesotho, as the Super Eagles retained leadership of Group L.

Plotting his next big-money move

His performances in the league and Champions League have brought about several potential suitors, such as Barcelona, who will be on the lookout for a long-term replacement for Luis Suárez next year. José Mourinho, who frequented Lille matches prior to replacing Mauricio Pochettino as Tottenham manager, has been rumored to be interested in signing him as competition for Harry Kane. The Special One already raided Les Dogues last month, adding Nuno Santos and João Sacramento to his technical staff in London. Should Kane’s ankle injuries continue to resurface, Mourinho may have no other choice but to sign the 20-year-old forward to reinforce his attacking options.

Less likely is a move to Real Madrid, which Osimhen previously admitted to being the “club of his dreams.” Nonetheless, if Osimhen can keep up his red-hot performances into the new year, expect him to be one of the hottest items on next summer’s market.

https://news.footballindex.co.uk/weekly-wonderkids-episode-2/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Komekn, Hope you can see the bolded. Osimhen is Mourinho's type of striker and mourinho is monitoring him.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7845) (7846) (7847) (7848) (7849) (7850) (7851) ... (16715) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: lexyman(m), Posh(m), Amedino99(m), charlesemeka85(m), KpagoGIN(m), Subzerooo, elyte89, yinkeys(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.