Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,027 members, 7,963,346 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 10:15 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8661) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12513682 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8658) (8659) (8660) (8661) (8662) (8663) (8664) ... (16728) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:30pm On Jun 01, 2020
elyte89:

U forgot to add d most criticized player on d list...DSS boss son who got d most juiciest deal (Valencia fc) cool

Audio deal. Bros all na media packaging

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:49pm On Jun 01, 2020
It's true we have lost out on some of the really talented lads in that set and we are now wondering what could have been if....

But on the bright side, the 2013 class actually blessed us in their own ways. That period started a major rise in genuine young talents from home for Nigeria that has seen attention shift back to us again from European scouts after years of having a small number of our players in the top 5 leagues in the late 2000s and 2010s.

That 2013 set on the overall combining camps, get togethers and tournaments gave us Ndidi, Iheanacho, Uzoho, and even Ovie Ejaria who trained with the team.

The 2015 set on the overall gave us Osimhen, Chukwueze, Chidera Ejuke, Terem Moffi, Kelechi Nwakali (who's bound to come good at Huesca hopefully), and even Chidozie Awaziem who was dropped b'cos he wasn't eligible (Born January 1, 1997 and tournament was for those born 1998 and beyond).
There is also a Lukman Zakari at Real Betis II who we hope rises to the top with time after dominating in a lesser league in Latvia for Metta from CB.

Furthermore, look at the Squad we took to the WC in Russia and the squad we took to the Afcon last year. We had more players/talents in the top 5 leagues compared to the squad we took to Afcon 2013.
Truth is since 2013, things have been looking up for Nigeria in the talents market as our players are now more easily scouted and trusted as genuine talents from our academies and our age grade teams. And a huge part of this was down to the success of the U-17 sides of 2013 and 2015.

That's the bright side in all of this. Yes we have lost several but we are still gaining some.

ChrisKels:

Las las e be like Manu Garba boys dey always flatter to deceive, when I look at the 2913 squad and what became of them at the long run, I weep.

How much I loved and believed in a certain Musa Yahaya cry

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 11:06pm On Jun 01, 2020
Sorry. Possibly anti-spam bot doesn't understand pidgin. Sometimes I wonder how old the bot routine is: in this age, it's so inefficient. Banning those it ought not to and allowing posts it is supposed to ban.

do4luv14:
So ontop dis qupid one nine birus lockdown, Antispam bot carry ban dash me since early moimoi yestarday ehn?

Hmm Semid come and explain wetin i do ooo,

and who get mind report me here ehn?

Make ah sidon dey look first
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 11:23pm On Jun 01, 2020
komekn:

To be honest it's a very difficult decision.

Strike while the iron is hot or keep working hard with the hope you will improve. And your value go up even further is the expectation.

At the moment he is very very HOT, he can easily sign a 5 years contract and be set up financially for life.

Or stay in Lille and hopefully improve. Next season he will be well known to everyone in French league one. It may be much more challenging.

Jonathan Bamba attacking midfielder or winger scored 13 goals last season, fast forward and he has scored only 1 league goal this season, nobody expected that or predicted that.

If Lille loose certain key players who are not replaced with the same quality then the team may not be so strong. That will affect Victor and he may not score so many.

The decision will or should be made on the team options before him to stay or leave. I don't know those options.

But a key thing irrespective of money he needs to know he will get games as a number 9.

to me, there's only one way.

Career progression!!

I on a personal level have made not so very popular career choices.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 11:26pm On Jun 01, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Lol... Sa'id does lack some technicality I confess but let's see what becomes of him.

I don't know about Ibraheem Jabaar's next move for now. And yes he is a legit baller. Really technical.
But I do know that Peter Olawale is OGC Nice-bound. As you know already, Samson Tijani is RB Salzburg-bound (might begin with FC Liefering or Salzburg II). Amoo Akinkunmi is Hammarby bound.
And the most selfish talent "on-field" of the lot, Olakunle Olusegun seems to be bound for Reims.

Wisdom Ubani nko?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 11:31pm On Jun 01, 2020
elunico:

Wisdom Ubani nko?

He never really played at the world cup and that will affect his career
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 11:32pm On Jun 01, 2020
ChrisKels:

Audio deal. Bros all na media packaging

Hey Chris, what does "Ikpeazu" mean?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 11:34pm On Jun 01, 2020
Subzero047:

He never really played at the world cup and that will affect his career

Injury really did the boy in.

I thought he was linked with a move to Brugge?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:38pm On Jun 01, 2020
Nothing on him yet as regards transfers. His injury was his bane at the WC. Never got to show the stuff he was made of.

elunico:

Wisdom Ubani nko?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:24am On Jun 02, 2020
ANS debunked the story.

andrewbaba44:

Faroe island ?

But is this player that bad that he had to settle for Faroe island

Playing in the Egyptian ,South African ,Tunisia league is far better than Faroe island abeg
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:54am On Jun 02, 2020
Gernot Rohr's Interview with Channels TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiWoqaLM6RM

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:56am On Jun 02, 2020
And that makes it untrue? Since when did ANS debunking a story automatically make it untrue? Have you made your own findings?

Joebie:
ANS debunked the story.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:20am On Jun 02, 2020
There are two stories out there. We are yet to know which is true.

TheSuperNerd:
And that makes it untrue? Since when did ANS debunking a story automatically make it untrue? Have you made your own findings?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:24am On Jun 02, 2020
Nwakali denies deal with Faroe Island-based club
By Abdulquadir Adedapo - June 2, 2020 20 0

Super Eagles midfielder, Chidiebere Nwakali has refuted reports in the media that he has put pen to paper with Ki Klaksvik FC based in Faroe Island, AOIFootball.com reports.

Nwakali, an U17 World Cup winner with Nigeria in 2013, is currently unattached and is attending to different offers on his table as he aims to rekindle his career.

But reports surfaced on Monday that a Faroe Island-based club confirmed his signature and will announce sealing of the deal in two weeks but the former Aberdeen of Scotland midfielder came out to deny the story.

“I have not signed nor do I have a deal with any club. I am just arriving in Spain after my trip to Denmark. When I sign a deal with any club, you will be the first to know,” Nwakali told only AOIFootball.com.

The former Manchester City player has had loan spells in Scotland, Norway, and Sweden.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:31am On Jun 02, 2020
Joebie:
There are two stories out there. We are yet to know which is true.

Well, ANS could be right or the other story could be right. But I made some findings too before I shared it here.
My source which is not even OGN or any known media outlet shared it with me and guess what... I know for sure something went down in Faroe Islands for transfermrkt to carry this below....

Now it could be it reached a point where an agreement was made and documents signed or whatever but they now have made a u-turn and don't wanna go further with the deal... But the truth staring me in the face right now is that Chidi is now officially a player for a Faroe Islands club. Whatever else comes out of this... I believe it is a backtrack on this deal.

I would love them to explain this below.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/chidiebere-nwakali/profil/spieler/295344

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:36am On Jun 02, 2020
Joebie:
Nwakali denies deal with Faroe Island-based club
By Abdulquadir Adedapo - June 2, 2020 20 0

Super Eagles midfielder, Chidiebere Nwakali has refuted reports in the media that he has put pen to paper with Ki Klaksvik FC based in Faroe Island, AOIFootball.com reports.

Nwakali, an U17 World Cup winner with Nigeria in 2013, is currently unattached and is attending to different offers on his table as he aims to rekindle his career.

But reports surfaced on Monday that a Faroe Island-based club confirmed his signature and will announce sealing of the deal in two weeks but the former Aberdeen of Scotland midfielder came out to deny the story.

“I have not signed nor do I have a deal with any club. I am just arriving in Spain after my trip to Denmark. When I sign a deal with any club, you will be the first to know,” Nwakali told only AOIFootball.com.

The former Manchester City player has had loan spells in Scotland, Norway, and Sweden.

That would be really better b'cos a move to Faroe Islands is really gonna be like saying "The End". But again... Something must have gone down for transfermrkt to update his profile below.
But whatever it is... I personally hope he doesn't end up in Faroe islands. It was really sad having to share such news seeing the lad's potential.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:46am On Jun 02, 2020
Major highlights/summary of the interview:

Rohr's words below(I just dropped the central ideas of his points in paraphrase):

Note: Please do well to watch the interview yourselves to check that I do not mislead.

- The reason I want to continue as Coach of the Super Eagles is because this is my team and I still have unfinished business with this team. What we have built so far, I want to take it further.

- No one tells me what player to pick for the team. I pick the players and I pick the best players. There is no clause to include home-based players compulsorily in the team because I am mandated to pick only the best and strongest players in the roles of the team. So if he is a home-based, he must be strong quality.

- I have invited 23 home-based players in the course of my tenure so far. And almost Everytime, after we invite them, they end up in Europe within a short time this are no more home-based.

- We have a chance to win the African nations cup of course and do well in the world cup but let's try to stay humble.

- Ejaria is a player we like and are already in touch with. He is one we hope to invite soon enough when plays return.

- We hope to test out our new players in friendlies and we hope we can return by September/October.

- Our returning/recuperating players like Uzoho and Ebuehi are doing good and we cannot wait to have them back in action for their teams.

- We have our scouts like Tunde Adelakun based in London, Nabil Trabelsi (my analyser/videos analyst) and co... We all work together to come up with the players we think can add more quality to the team.

- Osimhen is in good stead to move to a bigger side than Lille to a top club in England or in Italy and it is great and important for our players to aspire to play for the top sides at the highest level because it raises the level of the Super Eagles even more.

TheSuperNerd:
Gernot Rohr's Interview with Channels TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiWoqaLM6RM

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:07am On Jun 02, 2020
komekn:

The academy not the first team, at the time a very wise decision.

He turned down arsenal. The academy and first team are both part of arsenal last I checked

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JayromWrites: 7:59am On Jun 02, 2020
ChrisKels:

Las las e be like Manu Garba boys dey always flatter to deceive, when I look at the 2013 squad and what became of them at the long run, I weep.

How much I loved and believed in a certain Musa Yahaya cry

Oh Musa Yahaya!!

I remember the whole of Kawo was agog with celebration when we won the Under 17

People trooped to his Father's house to celebrate

Christians and Muslims alike

God!! How i prayed he succeeded

Alot of players from this Northern side always end up not having a good career

I think it boils down to how we were raised or something

The feeling of "Que Cera Cera (naso God want am)" has done us bad

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:43am On Jun 02, 2020
Julian Nagelsmann, RB Leipzig Manager:

"It's a mistake if you think that as an 18-year-old player, you still have 3-4 more years to develop. I don't care, I want to win the title and my players want it too. Therefore, the development has to be very, very quick."

Hey Sir TheGoodJoe, what do you think of Nagelsmann's bold statement on youth? wink

I recall that this is the same young brilliant manager that wanted Iheanacho one time when he was coaching Hoffenheim around same period Nacho was struggling for gametime at Man City and looking to leave. But you know the story, Nacho wanted to remain in England.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:45am On Jun 02, 2020
JayromWrites:

Oh Musa Yahaya!!

I remember the whole of Kawo was agog with celebration when we won the Under 17

People trooped to his Father's house to celebrate

Christians and Muslims alike

God!! How i prayed he succeeded

Alot of players from this Northern side always end up not having a good career

I think it boils down to how we were raised or something

The feeling of "Que Cera Cera (naso God want am)" has done us bad

This among others(poverty and illiteracy et al), is one of reasons I seldom have high hopes on northern players, their ideology and orientation always hold them back, that make them less ambitious, though, they delude themselves by giving it a different interpretation with the word "contentment"

Yahaya is hugely talented
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:02am On Jun 02, 2020
It is well bro,

if its true Antispam bot does not understand pidgin,

make ah know wetin cause am, SEUN most come out, cos nah this same Antispam bot matter we don dey settle taaay taaay

mank1234:
Sorry. Possibly anti-spam bot doesn't understand pidgin. Sometimes I wonder how old the bot routine is: in this age, it's so inefficient. Banning those it ought not to and allowing posts it is supposed to ban.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:13am On Jun 02, 2020
TheSuperNerd:

Julian Nagelsmann, RB Leipzig Manager:

"It's a mistake if you think that as an 18-year-old player, you still have 3-4 more years to develop. I don't care, I want to win the title and my players want it too. Therefore, the development has to be very, very quick."

Hey Sir TheGoodJoe, what do you think of Nagelsmann's bold statement on youth? wink

I recall that this is the same young brilliant manager that wanted Iheanacho one time when he was coaching Hoffenheim around same period Nacho was struggling for gametime at Man City and looking to leave. But you know the story, Nacho wanted to remain in England.

I agree with the young tactician here. There is no room for petting youth players. Youth players need to show tremendous hunger and ambition. Get serious very fast and get ready to become even better than the legends.

We have seen the likes of Eto'o, Fernando Torres, Ronaldo De Lima, CR7 and a host of young players develop at a very fast rate. They fit into the profile and blossom from there.

At the end, it still falls to coaches identifying these players early and giving them shots to prove they are ready.

Benzema was called up to the senior team for the first time under manager Paul Le Guen during the break leading up to the second half of the season. As is customary with new players arriving at Lyon, the young striker had to stand up and speak to his new teammates, which at that time included the likes of Michael Essien, Sylvain Wiltord, Florent Malouda and Eric Abidal.

While speaking, Benzema was subjected to jokes and laughter, which prompted the youngster to declare, "Do not laugh, I'm here to take your place."

Mindset of a coming legend.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JayromWrites: 11:34am On Jun 02, 2020
ChrisKels:

This among others(poverty and illiteracy et al), is one of reasons I seldom have high hopes on northern players, their ideology and orientation always hold them back, that make them less ambitious, though, they delude themselves by giving it a different interpretation with the word "contentment"

Yahaya is hugely talented

CONTENTMENT

That's the problem

We get "contented" with mediocrity

If we manage to achieve a little, we hardly strife for me.. We just feel okay with our little achievement

Yahaya could have being more

We had high hopes for him

Mutunchi Academy had high hopes for him

Now he's rotting away in Porto B, jumping from one Kannywood actress to another

Waste of Talent

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:06pm On Jun 02, 2020
benji93:
What most understand is only raw talent is enough to make you shine in the youth system. In fact, ultimately that's what the coaches look out for. Most of the coaches don't even know what the phrase "technically good means". grin. For all their talents they need a lot of guidance at that point in their professional careers, cos what makes a good player transcends raw talent, and most of the time the decision to choose the best place for their training lies in the hands of their agents by proxy. That's quite unfortunate. Some of them get a good representation, others not so much. Given their backgrounds, they have very limited choices. The situation is quite complicated.

Very apt observation.

However, what many fail to realise particularly on the context of Nigeria. What works or is given more prominence in Nigeria. For instance Dribblings, skills, flair and general show boating is very nice to watch and entertaining.

When you come to Europe team discipline and structured and your ability to read and complement the team, become more important.

Your first touch, your end product and decision making are the core issues. When you can then add skills and technical ability then you meet the remit very strongly of the top academies.

That requirement may see you who is considered an outstanding star in Nigeria youth football struggling. Particularly, when you get to the academy and you meet boys already well versed in these required attributes.

However, with time you may learn or push foreward a unique attribute to overcome some of your handicaps. For instance Lukaku has some technical deficiencies. But he has used blistering pace, good finishing and physicality to dominate and become one of the best strikers in the world IMO.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:07pm On Jun 02, 2020
TheSuperNerd:

That would be really better b'cos a move to Faroe Islands is really gonna be like saying "The End". But again... Something must have gone down for transfermrkt to update his profile below.
But whatever it is... I personally hope he doesn't end up in Faroe islands. It was really sad having to share such news seeing the lad's potential.

That price tag dey pain me pass the place.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:13pm On Jun 02, 2020
BascoVanVeli:

He turned down arsenal. The academy and first team are both part of arsenal last I checked

Playing for the academy is not by any means synonymous with playing for the first team.

You should know they are not in any way or shape the same thing.

Less than 5% of the boys in Arsenal academy will
ever play for the first team. They may end up in other teams e.g. Eberechi and Oviemuno.

But it's a mighty huge mountain promotion to first team and the competition is very intense indeed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:20pm On Jun 02, 2020
elunico:

to me, there's only one way.

Career progression!!

I on a personal level have made not so very popular career choices.

At the end if the day football is also about money and career progression is very linked with it.

Nothing in life is certain.

I really could not give definite advice as it stands the only club showing real seriousness is Napoli. He can still have a great career in Seria A.

It is going to be harder than French league one, but football progression is about challenges and pushing yourself.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:30pm On Jun 02, 2020
do4luv14:

It is well bro,

if its true Antispam bot does not understand pidgin,

make ah know wetin cause am, SEUN most come out, cos nah this same Antispam bot matter we don dey settle taaay taaay

Oga if dem ban you register another account use

I don forget my main account already just because of spam bot ban which is not even long
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:47pm On Jun 02, 2020
Paul Omo Mukairu attracting interest from RB Leipzig and PSV Eindhoven.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:00pm On Jun 02, 2020
It's no surprise Nagelsmann have had the success he's had with young guns from Hoffenheim and now to Leipzig. His mindset towards the talented young lads at his disposal is quite elite.
Although, I admit that not the youngsters will respond as expected but this only shows age is nothing when the talent and drive to succeed even now is there already.

Well said my good man.

Lol and Benzema did take their place and have gone on to become a legend himself.

TheGoodJoe:

I agree with the young tactician here. There is no room for petting youth players. Youth players need to show tremendous hunger and ambition. Get serious very fast and get ready to become even better than the legends.

We have seen the likes of Eto'o, Fernando Torres, Ronaldo De Lima, CR7 and a host of young players develop at a very fast rate. They fit into the profile and blossom from there.

At the end, it still falls to coaches identifying these players early and giving them shots to prove they are ready.

Benzema was called up to the senior team for the first time under manager Paul Le Guen during the break leading up to the second half of the season. As is customary with new players arriving at Lyon, the young striker had to stand up and speak to his new teammates, which at that time included the likes of Michael Essien, Sylvain Wiltord, Florent Malouda and Eric Abidal.

While speaking, Benzema was subjected to jokes and laughter, which prompted the youngster to declare, "Do not laugh, I'm here to take your place."

Mindset of a coming legend.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:02pm On Jun 02, 2020
Brendan Rodgers on the transformation and remoulding of Wilfred Ndidi's game

“We have been working on his technique, the simple basics of the game, passing and receiving. He takes the ball now and he understands he doesn’t need to spread the ball 60 or 70 yards — he is a continuity player. He has the ball, takes the ball and passes the ball. And when he hasn’t got it, he then uses his incredible athleticism to affect the game.

“From a tactical perspective, a lot of the work has gone into that with him. From a technical perspective, he has constantly worked on his touch and how he turns with a touch. Those little basic fundamentals of the game.”

— Brendan Rodgers on Wilfred Ndidi (The Athletic)

TheGoodJoe will definitely love this. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (8658) (8659) (8660) (8661) (8662) (8663) (8664) ... (16728) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 13 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.