Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,077 members, 7,963,498 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 12:51 PM

Big Words Make You Look Dumb...dont They? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Big Words Make You Look Dumb...dont They? (396 Views)

Is This Student Dumb Or Smart? [hilarious Pics] / Jamb Please Stops Making We Arts' Students Dumb / Nine Courses That Can Make You Cry In Nigerian University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Big Words Make You Look Dumb...dont They? by valkaka(m): 6:21pm On Apr 02, 2016
When I was in junior high school, I had a teacher who tried to encourage students to expand their vocabulary. What she did was encourage students to try out "new words" in any papers they wrote for the class. However, because students aren't always comfortable with those words, we were told to write (new word) after the new word -- parenthetically pointing out that we knew that word might be awkward or flat out wrong. Ever since then, however, I tend to notice when writers use a "big" word where a small one would do and mentally add the (new word) marking to it. According to a new study, I may not be the only one. People notice when writers use large words where small ones will do -- and it doesn't make them think very highly of the writer. In fact, all those attempts to look smart tend to backfire and make people think you're even dumber. It's probably a case where the general awkwardness of the larger words make people feel that the writer is trying too hard. Of course, Clive Thompson (who we link to for this story) has another explanation. He feels that the test, which was done by simply swapping out actual simple words with thesaurus-picked complex ones, modified the original meaning just enough that it didn't feel right -- making people think the writer was less intelligent when, perhaps, a natural writer could use larger words effectively in writing the entire sentence. Perhaps it really depends on the context. In certain types of writing, short words just make more sense than others.

(1) (Reply)

QA Online Training With Real Time Live Projects / UP B.ed. JEE Admit Card 2016|22 April Uttar Pradesh B.ed Exam / DAAD Development-related Postgraduate Scholarship For Study In Germany

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.