Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,093 members, 7,960,490 topics. Date: Friday, 27 September 2024 at 10:24 PM

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! (67707 Views)

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by allboyz(m): 3:03pm On Aug 12, 2009
18 Days to go. . . . . . .
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Krayola2(m): 3:06pm On Aug 12, 2009
Word in Catalunya is that Cesc wants out. . .he isn't happy with all the departures from Arsenal and isn't against a move to Barca. It's a question of how much Barca is willing to pay. The article didn't provide any sources though, or quote anybody . .so it could just be bullshit, but it is cause for concern. Like I said earlier if Wenger can get Keita and a nice chunk of cash, it wont be such a bad deal; but unless Wenger signs some REAL players, few players with serious title ambitions will want to remain at Arsenal IMO.

translated article. . . http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.sport.es&sl=es&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

but it could just be the usual off season rumours. . . so don't panic just yet

Update-->Actually it is confirmed from Txiki that Barca and Arsenal have initiated talks
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by chic2pimp(m): 3:11pm On Aug 12, 2009
edoyad:

Please is the Robotic guy a confirmed buy or is it just links ? I really dont have the energy to pursue another suspected interest.
grin grin grin grin grin grin kai una peeps so because his name is subotic u come turn am to robotic
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by allboyz(m): 3:18pm On Aug 12, 2009
chic2pimp:

grin grin grin grin grin grin kai una peeps so because his name is subotic u come turn am to robotic

This SuBotic guy is just 20Yrs. . . we have Djourou at that level. . . me dont fink we need Subotic. . .player at 25Yrs+ is what we need and WITH UCL Experience
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Nobody: 3:26pm On Aug 12, 2009
Krayola2:

Word in Catalunya is that Cesc wants out. . .he isn't happy with all the departures from Arsenal and isn't against a move to Barca. It's a question of how much Barca is willing to pay. The article didn't provide any sources though, or quote anybody . .so it could just be bullshit, but it is cause for concern. Like I said earlier if Wenger can get Keita and a nice chunk of cash, it wont be such a bad deal; but unless Wenger signs some REAL players, few players with serious title ambitions will want to remain at Arsenal IMO.

translated article. . . http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.sport.es&sl=es&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

but it could just be the usual off season rumours. . . so don't panic just yet

Update-->Actually it is confirmed from Txiki that Barca and Arsenal have initiated talks

Liar angry Cesc never said he was thinking about leaving anytime soon.

I was at members' day and he made it clear that he was very grateful and privileged to be at Arsenal and he was looking forward to the new season and hopefully many more trophies with the club. . .or are you saying he made it all up?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Krayola2(m): 3:35pm On Aug 12, 2009
ahonohai:

Liar angry Cesc never said he was thinking about leaving anytime soon.

I was at members' day and he made it clear that he was very grateful and privileged to be at Arsenal and he was looking forward to the new season and hopefully many more trophies with the club. . .or are you saying he made it all up?

haha. . .yeah. . .he's goin to tell a crowd of Arsenal fans that he wants out. . .

And how am i a liar? I said "WORD IN CATALUNYA IS. . . . . ." posted an article for u to read and decide, and said that there are no quotes and it could be bullshit. . . u guys need to chill. . .u're lettin ur frustrations get the better of u. . . tongue tongue
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by mukina2: 3:36pm On Aug 12, 2009
i dey find glock oh for AW angry

see me eh i am too young, my pikin is just 3 years old angry
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by obiem(m): 3:37pm On Aug 12, 2009
I don't blame Cesc if he wants out! AW is sick of ideas, he has about $45m in his kitty and still ''looking out for one or two" additions to his team. Looking out for fringe players like Marouane Chamakh who scored 13 solitary goals in 53 appearances! What a player! Adebayor is far better! (ask John Terry). We currently do not have a replacement for the departed Toure and departing Senderos and it is unlikely that  AW would sign a defender save for Thomas Vermaelen. Being linked with players like Neven Subotic, Blaise Matuidi, Brede Hangeland,the effervesent Patrick Vieira and Salomon Kalou yet it seems unlikely that any two of them will join since AW's famous statement ''I'm content with the composition of my team who would have known that we would have Eduardo back in two weeks, same for Tomas(Rosicky). They are tremendous additions to the team, just like new signings and save for any further injury complications, we are fine''. AW refuses to accept that his team are the most vulnerable in the famous ''big four'' and will definitely crack this season especially with the emergence of nouveau riche Manchester city, hard fighting Everton, Aston Villa and Tottenham Hotspurs if he does not reinforce his midfield, defence and frontline and stop depending on injury prone players!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Nobody: 3:56pm On Aug 12, 2009
Krayola2:

And how am i a liar?

Easy there. . .didn't you see my emoticon?

Is it ok if I say "Na Lie Oh!" I'm not frustrated oh! Rather I'm excited
grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Nobody: 4:07pm On Aug 12, 2009
obiem:

I don't blame Cesc if he wants out! AW is sick of ideas, he has about[b] $45m[/b] in his kitty and still ''looking out for one or two" additions to his team. Looking out for fringe players like Marouane Chamakh who scored 13 solitary goals in 53 appearances! What a player! Adebayor is far better! (ask John Terry). We currently do not have a replacement for the departed Toure and departing Senderos and it is unlikely that  AW would sign a defender save for Thomas Vermaelen. Being linked with players like Neven Subotic, Blaise Matuidi, Brede Hangeland,the effervesent Patrick Vieira and Salomon Kalou yet it seems unlikely that any two of them will join since AW's famous statement ''I'm content with the composition of my team who would have known that we would have Eduardo back in two weeks, same for Tomas(Rosicky). They are tremendous additions to the team, just like new signings and save for any further injury complications, we are fine''. AW refuses to accept that his team are the most vulnerable in the famous ''big four'' and will definitely crack this season especially with the emergence of nouveau riche Manchester city, hard fighting Everton, Aston Villa and Tottenham Hotspurs if he does not reinforce his midfield, defence and frontline and stop depending on injury prone players!

Do you mean pounds or dollars? I had something typed out but deleted it when I realised you might have a point you don't even know!

When you say Wenger is sick of ideas, what do you really mean. A lack or an abundance

About Chamakh, does he have the same service at Bordeaux he would have at Arsenal? That aside, Wenger does not buy a player on the back of three or four good performaces. . .he's probably been watching him for 2-3 years before deciding he is good enough for the team. Arsene is insistent on only signing players who would clearly improve the team. He doesn't have to be a better player than Adebayor.

Besides Wenger has already said he would buy in the event of departures, we are waiting for his attacking replacements. Can't you see that Vermaelen is clearly Toure's replacement. If Senderos leaves, then we can talk about replacing him. . .
I guess yo

By the way, please try not to mention Spurs here. . .don't you know that lot don't deserve our attention angry
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by dayokanu(m): 4:31pm On Aug 12, 2009
Wenger does not buy a player on the back of three or four good performaces. . .he's probably been watching him for 2-3 years before deciding he is good enough for the team. Arsene is insistent on only signing players who would clearly improve the team. He doesn't have to be a better player than Adebayor.

For how long did Arsene watch Arshavin before buying him?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Nobody: 4:37pm On Aug 12, 2009
dayokanu:

For how long did Arsene watch Arshavin before buying him?

Good question. . .I'd like to know that myself grin grin grin I know Eduardo said he was watched for about 3 years.

But then Arsene has also said that occasionally we would need a[i] special talent [/i] who would be in a class of his own and alter the balance in the team. We all saw the impact AA23 had on the team. . .

Of all the names linked to us recently, is there any in the class of Arshavin? If not then the question probably answers itself!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Nobody: 4:38pm On Aug 12, 2009
Not like i care though, but i do ask myself what AW does with all these kids.
I bet AW is still not happy he bought Arshavin.
He wished Arshavin is/was a few years younger.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by dayokanu(m): 4:44pm On Aug 12, 2009
There was a statement that Arsene watches players for 3 years and as at last summer, Arsene said Arshavin was an unknown quantity and queried why was it that he became a star at 28.

What Arsene Wenger does with young boys is Simple, The same thing Michael Jackson does to them. Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by HNIC(m): 4:56pm On Aug 12, 2009
dayokanu:

There was a statement that Arsene watches players for 3 years and as at last summer, Arsene said Arshavin was an unknown quantity and queried why was it that he became a star at 28.
What Arsene Wenger does with young boys is Simple, The same thing Michael Jackson does to them. Your guess is as good as mine.
give us links to that quote.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Sauron1: 4:58pm On Aug 12, 2009
HNIC:

Search for it yourself, lazy git.

Where will Arsenal finish in the coming season? grin grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Krayola2(m): 4:59pm On Aug 12, 2009
Hleb looking forward after Barcelona misery
By Nick Bidwell

August 12, 2009

If Arsene Wenger is on the look-out for a PR man to promote the virtues of staying loyal to the Arsenal cause, he could do worse than handing the position to former Gunners midfielder Alex Hleb.

That statement may seem a little odd when you consider Hleb was one of those who came to the conclusion that Wenger's unshakable conviction that success can flow without signing star names is a doomed policy, when he decided to swap North London for Barcelona last summer.
After proving himself in the Premier League, the chance to join one of the true giants of the world game proved too tempting for Hleb and yet the Belarusian now reflects on the decision as one of the worst of his career.

Going from a first team starter in a side whose place in the Champions League has been assured for over a decade to being a permanent bench warmer in Spain was a major comedown for Hleb and his fall from grace was confirmed when he was offered as a make-weight in the transfer that saw Zlatan Ibrahimovic arrive at the Nou Camp from Inter Milan.

As it turns out, Hleb opted for a return to former club Stuttgart ahead of a switch to join Jose Mourinho at the San Siro, yet the mere fact that he is back at the club where his rise to stardom began at the start of the decade confirms his career has taken a sideways step and he puts that down to his decision to walk away from Arsenal.

"Of course I regret leaving Arsenal," begins an honest Hleb. "I was playing every week for one of the most exciting sides in Europe, a team which was always in the top-four in the Premier League and were Champions League contenders.

"Also, I was being guided by one of the best coaches in the world in Arsene Wenger. I owe him a great deal. I developed a better all-round game under him and I became more robust physically, learnt to look up more and play better passes and generally improved greatly as a team player. No player ever gets worse under Wenger.

"Obviously, I still look out for Arsenal each week and I hope they can do well this time. I think they will be in the top-four again and could even push for the title if they don't have the terrible injuries of last season. People forget the long unbeaten run they had after Christmas last season, which was a good sign for this season.

"For me, leaving Arsenal was not a good move. A footballer only exists when he takes to the field and makes a proper contribution to the team and even though I was part of a Barca squad that was almost unstoppable, it was hard not to feel detached from all the happiness and celebration at the end.

"Barca were my dream club as a kid, but I couldn't continue with them if the chance to play was not coming. I'm 28 and who knows how much time I've left in the game. I needed to move on and the chance to go back to a place that I feel happy in was the best solution."
In many ways, Hleb was the Wenger's ideal player. Comfortable on the ball and bursting with invention, his breaking runs from the midfield fitted neatly into a side that have the ability and class to pick out a player who times his charge to perfection. As it turned out, one of the few men Wenger has spent big money on in recent years probably caught the eye a little too much at Arsenal as he attracted the attentions of Barcelona as a result.
Now Hleb insists he is happy to be back in Germany and explains the chance to rejoin Stuttgart was more appealing than switch to Italy that was being forced upon him. "It was more a pro-Stuttgart than an anti-Inter decision," he explains. "I was coming off the back of a season almost entirely spent on the bench at Barca and just wanted to go to a team where I was completely comfortable and could play regularly.

"I had five very happy years at Stuttgart and know the club well, so no one needed to tell me how ambitious they are. If all goes according to plan, we will qualify for the Champions League and should be able to challenge for the Bundesliga title.
"I needed to bounce back at the first possible opportunity and returning to Stuttgart is a low-risk way of setting about it as this club is like home to me. Even though Bayern Munich showed interest in me and I was tempted, Stuttgart's offer overrode everything."
New Stuttgart coach Markus Babbel has certainly pulled off a transfer coup in bring Hleb back to the club and the midfielder admits the presence of his former team-mate played a role in his decision to return. "I played alongside him during my first spell at Stuttgart and he struck me then as a super pro, someone with great footballing instincts, who thought deeply about the game," he says.
"I'm not surprised he has turned out to be a good coach and all the players here are left in no doubt as to what is expected of us. We know who is in charge, but somehow he manages to have a close relationship with us. All the players feel important, from the senior man to the youth team graduate.

"Obviously, people doubt Stuttgart now that Mario Gomez has left because he was a goal machine, but we still have plenty of attacking options and I don't think goals will be an issue. This is an attack-minded side and my job is to make sure the front-men are well supplied with chances."
Hleb has been reunited with former Arsenal team-mate Jens Lehmann at Stuttgart and insists the veteran keeper still has plenty to offer at the top level. "I always got on well with Jens," he states. "People see the intense guy on the pitch and assume he's the same away from the stadium.
"He was one of the most important players at Arsenal and it's similar at Stuttgart. Jens means leadership and the will to win. Even at 40, he's not lost his reflexes or his command of the box."

Barcelona target Cesc Fabregas is among those who could look at Hleb's situation and come to the conclusion that leaving Arsenal is not always the best way to take a step forward in your career. While Wenger's side do not look likely to be challenging for too many trophies in the coming months at this moment in time, this is a manager whose powers of reinvention should never be under-estimated.

With Hleb clearly longing for the days when he pulled on the red of Arsenal, you have to wonder why Wenger was not tempted to bring him back to London this summer, yet the Arsenal boss seems unwilling to dip back into history. As Gunners legend Patrick Vieira discovered last week, Arsenal comebacks are not something Wenger seems content to sanction.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Nobody: 5:04pm On Aug 12, 2009
HNIC:

I actually watched the press conference where Arsene made that remark. . .I'll try to get it
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by HNIC(m): 5:05pm On Aug 12, 2009
~Sauron~:

Search for it yourself, lazy git.
Dayo should give us na.
Maybe Aw told him that when they were having lunch last summer!
~Sauron~:

Where will Arsenal finish in the coming season? grin grin grin grin
Where will we finish?
We are winning the league tongue
and Arshavin will be MVP! tongue
Watch AW shock you guys with 2 important additions within the next two weeks!
Don't say I told ya grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by chic2pimp(m): 5:05pm On Aug 12, 2009
dayokanu:

grin grin grin grin grin ROFLMAO. Wot does he do to dem. Tell us ooo or are u Implying he bums them in the loo wink wink wink grin grin grin grin. Where is ur proof
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by dayokanu(m): 5:07pm On Aug 12, 2009
ahonohai,

Thank you oh, else na so HNIC and his fellow Gayyners for dey talk rubbish.

This trophyless run is causing a lot of harm to Gayyners. The fans dont even believe in God again.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by chic2pimp(m): 5:10pm On Aug 12, 2009
HNIC:

Dayo should give us na.
Maybe Aw told him that when they were having lunch last summer!Where will we finish?
Don't say I told ya grin
Abeg make una help me ooo is dere MVP in british sports.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Sauron1: 5:12pm On Aug 12, 2009
HNIC:

Don't say I told ya grin

I have bookmarked this comment. . . . .I will remind you in December.
Arshavin to win PFA or Barclays Player Of The Season? We shall see.
I saw him against United last season and he was a shower of shit. grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by HNIC(m): 5:21pm On Aug 12, 2009
chic2pimp:

Abeg make una help me ooo is dere MVP in british sports.
@Chic2pimp
No one can help you
Because your lame attempt at being funny sucks
Everyone understands what I meant when I said MVP!
~Sauron~:

I have bookmarked this comment. . . . .I will remind you in December.
Arshavin to win PFA or Barclays Player Of The Season? We shall see.
I saw him against United last season and he was a shower of shit. grin
Ha ha ha
He was sh@t, yet Manure looked like a championship side on the day,
Only lucky not to have lost, with Fergie literally begging the Ref to end proceedings. grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Sauron1: 5:31pm On Aug 12, 2009
HNIC:

Ha ha ha
Only lucky not to have lost, with Fergie literally begging the Ref to end proceedings. grin

See this man. . . . . .Fergie knows the formula that beats Wenger.
Put Anderson, Fletcher n Carrick in the midfield and Arsenal are always taken to the cleaners.
Once i saw Giggs replacing Anderson in the line-up, i knew he wanted to take it easy on y'all and United got a draw.

Arshavin? Wasn't he substituted after 60 mins of shit he was playing?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by chic2pimp(m): 5:32pm On Aug 12, 2009
HNIC:

@Chic2pimp
No one can help you
Because your lame attempt at being funny sucks
Everyone understands what I meant when I said MVP!Ha ha ha

moderator were are u. Dis boy should be banned 4 life tongue tongue cheesy.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by HNIC(m): 5:37pm On Aug 12, 2009
~Sauron~:

Once i saw Giggs replacing Anderson in the line-up, i knew he wanted to take it easy on y'all and United got a draw.
You should have put this grin after the above statement.
chic2pimp:

moderator were are u. Dis boy should be banned 4 life tongue tongue cheesy.
You are still trying desperately to make everyone laugh.
Keep trying tongue
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by allboyz(m): 5:40pm On Aug 12, 2009
HNIC:

[size=15pt]Seconded![/size]!

and as that which is in BOLD. . . .its as certain as DEATH itself! - 2 additions most likely at the end of August
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by HNIC(m): 5:45pm On Aug 12, 2009
Meanwhile, this Bendtner boy is funny ooh. . . . .

Bendtner explains switch of squad number  Arsenal centre forward Nicklas Bendtner has changed his squad number for the new season.

The Dane caught up with Arsenal.com to explain why he decided on the switch and give a personal offer to fans who had bought his shirt through Club outlets this summer.

“The new season’s almost here, and along with the rest of the players I’m really excited and believe it can be a really special one for everyone associated with the Club." said Bendtner.

"Before it starts I wanted to change my squad number from 26 which I’ve obviously had for a number of seasons now. I chose to move to 52 because it’s a special number to me personally, and I hope that it brings me good luck for the new season.

"I appreciate that a good number of fans have bought their kits for 2009/10 already with names and numbers printed up so I’d like to personally cover the cost of replacing anyone’s shirt that has my previous number. It means a lot to see supporters wearing your name and number, and I want to ensure people aren’t inconvenienced by the change."
* The offer is valid for supporters that purchased the Arsenal home, away or third shirt from a Club shop or online via Arsenal Home Shopping since June 2009. Any supporter wanting to upgrade their shirt that features Nicklas’ previous squad number must show proof of purchase in store.

[Wednesday, August 12, 2009]

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Krayola(m): 5:52pm On Aug 12, 2009
[size=16pt]INTERVIEW WITH ALEX HLEB[/size]

Hleb looking forward after Barcelona misery

If Arsene Wenger is on the look-out for a PR man to promote the virtues of staying loyal to the Arsenal cause, he could do worse than handing the position to former Gunners midfielder Alex Hleb.

That statement may seem a little odd when you consider Hleb was one of those who came to the conclusion that Wenger's unshakable conviction that success can flow without signing star names is a doomed policy, when he decided to swap North London for Barcelona last summer.
After proving himself in the Premier League, the chance to join one of the true giants of the world game proved too tempting for Hleb and yet the Belarusian now reflects on the decision as one of the worst of his career.

Going from a first team starter in a side whose place in the Champions League has been assured for over a decade to being a permanent bench warmer in Spain was a major comedown for Hleb and his fall from grace was confirmed when he was offered as a make-weight in the transfer that saw Zlatan Ibrahimovic arrive at the Nou Camp from Inter Milan.
As it turns out, Hleb opted for a return to former club Stuttgart ahead of a switch to join Jose Mourinho at the San Siro, yet the mere fact that he is back at the club where his rise to stardom began at the start of the decade confirms his career has taken a sideways step and he puts that down to his decision to walk away from Arsenal.
"Of course I regret leaving Arsenal," begins an honest Hleb. "I was playing every week for one of the most exciting sides in Europe, a team which was always in the top-four in the Premier League and were Champions League contenders.
"Also, I was being guided by one of the best coaches in the world in Arsene Wenger. I owe him a great deal. I developed a better all-round game under him and I became more robust physically, learnt to look up more and play better passes and generally improved greatly as a team player. No player ever gets worse under Wenger.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Krayola(m): 5:53pm On Aug 12, 2009
"Obviously, I still look out for Arsenal each week and I hope they can do well this time. I think they will be in the top-four again and could even push for the title if they don't have the terrible injuries of last season. People forget the long unbeaten run they had after Christmas last season, which was a good sign for this season.
"For me, leaving Arsenal was not a good move. A footballer only exists when he takes to the field and makes a proper contribution to the team and even though I was part of a Barca squad that was almost unstoppable, it was hard not to feel detached from all the happiness and celebration at the end.

"Barca were my dream club as a kid, but I couldn't continue with them if the chance to play was not coming. I'm 28 and who knows how much time I've left in the game. I needed to move on and the chance to go back to a place that I feel happy in was the best solution."
In many ways, Hleb was the Wenger's ideal player. Comfortable on the ball and bursting with invention, his breaking runs from the midfield fitted neatly into a side that have the ability and class to pick out a player who times his charge to perfection. As it turned out, one of the few men Wenger has spent big money on in recent years probably caught the eye a little too much at Arsenal as he attracted the attentions of Barcelona as a result.
Now Hleb insists he is happy to be back in Germany and explains the chance to rejoin Stuttgart was more appealing than switch to Italy that was being forced upon him. "It was more a pro-Stuttgart than an anti-Inter decision," he explains. "I was coming off the back of a season almost entirely spent on the bench at Barca and just wanted to go to a team where I was completely comfortable and could play regularly.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. Yes We Can! by Krayola(m): 5:54pm On Aug 12, 2009
"I had five very happy years at Stuttgart and know the club well, so no one needed to tell me how ambitious they are. If all goes according to plan, we will qualify for the Champions League and should be able to challenge for the Bundesliga title.
"I needed to bounce back at the first possible opportunity and returning to Stuttgart is a low-risk way of setting about it as this club is like home to me. Even though Bayern Munich showed interest in me and I was tempted, Stuttgart's offer overrode everything."
New Stuttgart coach Markus Babbel has certainly pulled off a transfer coup in bring Hleb back to the club and the midfielder admits the presence of his former team-mate played a role in his decision to return. "I played alongside him during my first spell at Stuttgart and he struck me then as a super pro, someone with great footballing instincts, who thought deeply about the game," he says.
"I'm not surprised he has turned out to be a good coach and all the players here are left in no doubt as to what is expected of us. We know who is in charge, but somehow he manages to have a close relationship with us. All the players feel important, from the senior man to the youth team graduate.

"Obviously, people doubt Stuttgart now that Mario Gomez has left because he was a goal machine, but we still have plenty of attacking options and I don't think goals will be an issue. This is an attack-minded side and my job is to make sure the front-men are well supplied with chances."
Hleb has been reunited with former Arsenal team-mate Jens Lehmann at Stuttgart and insists the veteran keeper still has plenty to offer at the top level. "I always got on well with Jens," he states. "People see the intense guy on the pitch and assume he's the same away from the stadium.
"He was one of the most important players at Arsenal and it's similar at Stuttgart. Jens means leadership and the will to win. Even at 40, he's not lost his reflexes or his command of the box."
Barcelona target Cesc Fabregas is among those who could look at Hleb's situation and come to the conclusion that leaving Arsenal is not always the best way to take a step forward in your career. While Wenger's side do not look likely to be challenging for too many trophies in the coming months at this moment in time, this is a manager whose powers of reinvention should never be under-estimated.
With Hleb clearly longing for the days when he pulled on the red of Arsenal, you have to wonder why Wenger was not tempted to bring him back to London this summer, yet the Arsenal boss seems unwilling to dip back into history. As Gunners legend Patrick Vieira discovered last week, Arsenal comebacks are not something Wenger seems content to sanction.

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (100)

Manchester United Vs Newcastle United - (4 - 1) On September 11 2021 / Ajax vs Manchester United: Europa League Final (0 - 2) On 24th May 2017 / Nairaland Fantasy Premier League 2012/2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.