Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,883 members, 7,959,761 topics. Date: Friday, 27 September 2024 at 06:55 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (512) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (835412 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (509) (510) (511) (512) (513) (514) (515) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 7:34am On Feb 20, 2008
Please fellas, CAVEAT EMPTOR.

i am not a short term trader and i'm just learning this TA thing o. As i've said i no wan make person talk say na me make am lose money o  wink  wink.
I buy shares and set targets based on info and analysis (fundamental and now some TA).  i do have shares in a long term portfolio which i am growing AND THERE ARE STILL COMPANIES I JUST WONT BUY REGARDLESS OF WHAT TA SUGGESTS
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SENATORJD(m): 7:51am On Feb 20, 2008
quote from akptopgun
transcorp, volume over 132m. the next stock so far has a volume of 75m.

technical suspension my left bum cheek. those who want to sell obviously can sell!!!
its one rule for the goose and another for the gander.

if am not wrong even when there is technical suspension, u can still trade(buy and sell) a stock of a company, d only difference is that it would be at thye price which it was suspended at. that is to say that it wont leave the current price that its on 4.+(or so) until the TS is lifted. so people would definetly have pulled out yst thats why it had the highest trade
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 7:53am On Feb 20, 2008
@Nairalanders

Breaking news Re: Transcorp

Here's the latest culled from This Day newspaper:

"Contrary to the earlier claim  that the sale of  the Nigerian Telecommunication Limited (NITEL) had been reversed, only the ownership structure has changed , with Transnational Corporation (Transcorp)Plc, made to shed 41 per cent of its holding.
Confirming this yesterday in Abuja during a question and answer session after receiving the management of Suburban Telecoms, Minister of Information and Communication, Mr. John Odey disclosed that rather than an outright revocation, the configuration of the shareholding was only altered."

This agrees with my source as fellow Nairalanders were duly informed. He has never failed me with the latest on Transcorp.
As a shareholder I am quite content with this arrangement provided there is adequate compensation for the the rest 41%. Would have preferred the stake was more like 20-25%.

This should cheer some of us up this morning.

Now for the changes at the top.

Don't forget "Samstone4 for Chairman Transcorp"

Samstone4 cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 8:06am On Feb 20, 2008
loma:

Folks, I just came back from the Obama rally at the Toyota Center in Houston. It was historic!

Ladies and gentlemen, please rise to welcome the winner of the Winsconsin primaries, and the next President of the United States of America, grin grin grin

I felt a part of history. His speech was even more inspiring standing few feet away from me. Obama in flesh and blood.Texas, Yes we can!

So they won't accuse of of talking politics here, let me talk some stock stuff. The new entrant, sorry company on the exchange gained another state, sorry points,while Hillary lost a white state, her stock lost, tongue

Make I go celeberate before I mix everything up

I sat through the speech on CNN at 3AM CET all 45 mins of it!

I think the problem for Billary is she's spent 140M already and she hasnt managed to land the killer punch. I remember her saying a while she hopes to wrap up the nomination by 5th February which  the super Tuesday. She budgeted up till that time i think 'cos she wasnt expecting a protracted nomination. Now the rumours is that she's running low and compounded by the fact that she has to win VERY BIG in Texas  the second most populous state in US in the order of 60-40% just to catch with Barrack which she's never going to do.

If she loses in Texas her campaign would be mortally wounded and may not recover. grin grin grin grin grin grin

And for those thinking the nomination will be decided by the super delegates all 800 of them at the convention in Denver in August in the event none of the candidates get the required 2025 nominations required.

If she loses in Texas i think the super delegates are not that stupid to go against the will of the majority so she cannot count on that scenario to work in her favour

And i'm sure the democrat grandees  including  Nancy Pelosi and Al Gore et all will put a lot of pressure on her to withdraw and avoid a long drawn-out and  proctrated nomnation campaign up until August if she doe not make a good showing in TX

The point being she has to perform on the 4th Of March and i dont see that happening.

I'm planning on watching the debate taking place in TX this weekend she needs to come with a blinder and a barn-storming performance against Obama but she looks like she's running out of steam and ideas so not sure what else she needs to try

Who is courageous enough to stand in the way of the Obama HURRICANE?

may be i should apply to become one of Billary's democratic strategists she clearly hasnt got enough left in the tank and the journey ahead looks far grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Just a bit of distraction from the Transcorp soap opera sha!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 8:08am On Feb 20, 2008
Anybody get GREIF (Van Leers) to SELL. Me dey look for am OO.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by loma(m): 8:12am On Feb 20, 2008
Its a battle between a growth stock(Obama) and a declining stock (Billary).

When are we expecting Wapco/CCNN results?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by arizona(m): 8:15am On Feb 20, 2008
Samstone4 for Transcorp Chairman. hands up grin grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 8:16am On Feb 20, 2008
easimoni:

Shitta! HMMMMM
Abi dem don get  amala shitta for H town abi na nostalgia dey do you. Eya pele  grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 8:23am On Feb 20, 2008
The best way to punish anybody when don leave this thread for a while na to post plenty post.Water go dey comot for e eye buy d time e don read like 24pages in 2hours.

loma:

Good morning Father of two, long time o.

On Vitafoam, what advice do you have for CICO?

Goodmorning to you too brother. Long time.You know i make wan post for this stock when them announce their result sometime last month. I buy for December at N8.60, i don comot with about 20% as bonus no follow, the stock don turn to RANGER for me.Once company don announce wetin them don take my money do for a full year, na FULL CICO for me.

@dbenzd

Thanks for your concern, i notice say them post " NOT FANTASTIC"  to you for your Diamond post.
My sister no worry yourself jo,na so we hear for PZ that day when e be N24.Na today trading start?.
When stock don cheap just before them announce beta result make you strike am with full force.
Wetin you dey look for again for stock. I give you money, you use am do N4bn last year, i still give you money, you use am do N9bn this year.
Wetin you dey look for again.My SISTER I NO SABI DEY GIVE STOCK ATTITUDE OH. Na so them take fire GTB last year oh,but brother Easimoni come talk true for the stock(i think u remember)you go be silent reader then and that stock na correct profit just dey flow enter my computer for there.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 8:24am On Feb 20, 2008
i still dey watch double character. I DEY GATHER EVIDENCE.
Make d post dey plenty.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by debenzd(f): 8:33am On Feb 20, 2008
@Fatherof2,

Thank u very plenty. It's reeeeeeeeeeeeally nice to see you back on d beat.

I wanted you to look at some figures and files, I don't know if u have time. My email add is debenzd at yahoo.com.

As per diamond,i even buy more sef. I be done chop almost 360K for profit b4 thanks to you so no shaking!

PZ o, I get am, NBC o, I get am. Apart from wetin u talk, it was obvious from the RSI and MACD that those stocks were good to purchase. So na combination of TA and FA we take reach where we dey.

With GT, I don tire to CICO sef. I have made almost 1m from just CICO and end of yr never reach.

E be like say I go buy more again when e dip small( I believe it will) although one has to watch it closely.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 8:37am On Feb 20, 2008
FatherOF2:

The best way to punish anybody when don leave this thread for a while na to post plenty post.Water go dey comot for e eye buy d time e don read like 24pages in 2hours.

Goodmorning to you too brother. Long time.You know i make wan post for this stock when them announce their result sometime last month. I buy for December at N8.60, i don comot with about 20% as bonus no follow, the stock don turn to RANGER for me.Once company don announce wetin them don take my money do for a full year, na FULL CICO for me.

@dbenzd

Thanks for your concern, i notice say them post " NOT FANTASTIC" to you for your Diamond post.
My sister no worry yourself jo,na so we hear for PZ that day when e be N24.Na today trading start?.
When stock don cheap just before them announce beta result make you strike am with full force.
Wetin you dey look for again for stock. I give you money, you use am do N4bn last year, i still give you money, you use am do N9bn this year.
Wetin you dey look for again.My SISTER I NO SABI DEY GIVE STOCK ATTITUDE OH. Na so them take fire GTB last year oh,but brother Easimoni come talk true for the stock(i think u remember)you go be silent reader then and that stock na correct profit just dey flow enter my computer for there.

Apologies, Diamond result was fantastic!!!!!!

debenzd:

@Fatherof2,

Thank u very plenty. It's reeeeeeeeeeeeally nice to see you back on d beat.

I wanted you to look at some figures and files, I don't know if u have time. My email add is debenzd at yahoo.com.

As per diamond,i even buy more sef. I be done chop almost 360K for profit before thanks to you so no shaking!

PZ o, I get am, NBC o, I get am. Apart from wetin u talk, it was obvious from the RSI and MACD that those stocks were good to purchase. So na combination of TA and FA we take reach where we dey.

With GT, I don tire to CICO sef. I have made almost 1m from just CICO and end of yr never reach.

E be like say I go buy more again when e dip small( I believe it will) although one has to watch it closely.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks

Sorry OOO, Diamond result was so fantastic.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 8:39am On Feb 20, 2008
@aktopgun,
pls by confirmation, u mean what exactly, thanks for yur time
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 8:47am On Feb 20, 2008
loma:

And finally,
You know you are thinking too much of your NSE portfolio when:

You wander the house on Saturday and Sunday because you have nothing to do.  Every hour, on the hour, you loudly announce to the house the time remaining until the  market opens.

You have an automatic refresh button for this thread,and the TRW stock prices page

and you begin to use CICO and candle language when talking to your spouse,e.g do you know your friend is now harami (i.e pregnant)
Pally, this is really comic relief from the pressures of work. Keep it coming
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by maneasy: 8:47am On Feb 20, 2008
Fresh plot against bank consolidation

Unease has gripped the financial sector following credible hints that the Yar’Adua government is considering the reversal of banking consolidation. The consolidation exercise, which was engineered and supervised by the Dr. Charles Soludo-led Central Bank of Nigeria, was successfully concluded on December 31, 2005.

But in a move that is geared towards reversing the gains of this exercise, highly placed sources close to a presidential working group, disclosed to Sunday Tribune that the group has almost concluded work on a proposal to be presented to President Umaru Yar’Adua on “Banking Reforms”. This working group is charged with working on the details of the seven-point agenda of the Yar’Adua administration.

The chief economic adviser to the president, Tanimu Yakubu Kurfi, Sunday Tribune learnt, is coordinating the process. Although, our source revealed that Kurfi was sick recently and had to be flown abroad but could not confirm if he was back in the country.

The case against consolidation, our sources revealed, is based on the view that “Northerners” lost out in the consolidation process, which was believed to have “placed the banking sector more in the hands of the Southerners”.

This ethno-regional view of things, sources stated, is largely responsible for the move, even though it is being clothed in the “language of economics, fiscal policy and even development”. The working group is said to have considered the statistics indicating that consolidation shrank northern ownership of the banking sector to only eight per cent.

Members of the inner circle of the Yar’Adua government who consider this “totally unacceptable” have resolved that the best way to reverse this without risking a backlash from the south with the resultant political crisis is to effect regionalisation of the banking sector which would enhance greater northern ownership.

Although a few voices in the group were said to have warned that the reversal may create un imaginable crisis in the economy and destroy growing confidence in the Nigerian economy, particularly the Stock market, the hawks in the group were said to have dismissed the predicted crisis on the basis of the fact that access by Northerners to the commanding heights of the economy through the banks, including bank directorship and its associated pecks, have been lost through consolidation and would have to be regained “anyhow”.

The deconsolidation that is being proposed as a policy response to the perceived “southern domination” of the banking sector include effectively limiting banks to strict zones of operation, that is regions. Despite the boom in the number of branches which has resulted from consolidation, deconsolidation will be advertised as the best method for achieving the aim of multiplying the number of banks in the country, and filling the landscape with supposedly smaller but nimbler banks.

The working group will also recommend that should the government consider regionalisation unattractive, it might be desirable for the public sector to acquire distressed banks such as Societe General Bank and Savanna Bank which would then be recapitalised and unleashed to compete in an altered financial landscape. Such acquired banks can then be used as instruments of reversing the “loss” of the “northern” region in the last consolidation, reasoned the members of the group.

Sunday Tribune gathered from informed actors in the financial market that this plan to insert government as an owner and operator of banks reflects the statist inclinations of the leading lights of the Yar’Adua administration. It is argued by the core of this group that a government whose hands have been removed from the commanding heights of the economy would have less “largess in the area of economic activities that it can distribute to its own supporters”.

Sunday Tribune learnt that bank chiefs, who already have hints of this proposal, are worried by the severe disruption that deconsolidation and regionalisation would cause and the ethno-regional undertones that are believed to be behind this. It is feared that it would endanger the health of the banking sector as the banking regulators would be overstretched. A financial expert added that there is nothing in the new plan that can guarantee the safety of so many small banks.

Source:
Sunday Tribune
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 8:49am On Feb 20, 2008
windywendy:

shocked shocked I'm normally a very calm and easy going person o, but if hubby tries this kin tin, hmmmmm, na im be say thunder go strike o! Which kin yeye tin be that! God forbid bad thing  angry shocked If na joke make you stop am now now. CICO ko, CICO ni.
Hope you yourself dont get tempted to do it oh. NSE can be tempting oh  grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 8:54am On Feb 20, 2008
RT briscoe looks cheap after it lost some price yesterday, I think the stock will start an upward trend soon, looks cheap to me.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Izon(f): 9:06am On Feb 20, 2008
Hi all,
Like most newbies, I am one myself. I give great kudos to all who have helped nairaland move to where it is right now with great idea and knowledgeable materials, some of you here have been mentors/motivators to so many and all I can say is that you keep up the good work. Can someone or persons suggest to me which stock between these two is game for a CICO in a month+, say 6weeks. (Goldlink or Juli)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 9:10am On Feb 20, 2008
@Fo2,
pls i want to give my broker some % profit, like how many do u think its ok, minimum, or if i maybe bold, howm many % do u give urs, thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BHG: 9:13am On Feb 20, 2008
The saga continues! grin grin grin

NITEL: Transcorp asked for the revocation – FG
Posted Tuesday, February 19, 2008
The Federal Government, said on Tuesday, that the Transnational Corporation of Nigeria participated in the decision process that led to the revocation of the sale of Nigerian Telecommunication Limited to it.
The Minister of Information and Communication, Mr. John Odey, said this in Abuja when a delegation of Suburban Group, an integrated ICT service provider paid him a visit.
According to him, contrary to the insinuation that the decision was unilateral and would send the wrong signals to the investing public, Transcorp admitted that it lacked the required capital needed to revive the telecoms firm and make it competitive and that there was the need to bring in a new core investor.
Transcorp secured the purchase of NITEL and its mobile arm, Mtel, on July 3, 2006 for a fee of about $750m (N105bn).
However, it paid only $500m of the amount pledged, as it could not come up with the balance of $250m.
The $750m represented the 75 per cent equity holding that the Federal Government intended to divest from NITEL to the core investor. The remaining 25 per cent was to be sold to Nigerians through a public offer in November in 2006. This never happened, as Transcorp could not meet most of the terms of the contracts.
Odey said, “The process that led to the reversal of Transcorp shares in Mtel and NITEL was not a decision taken by government alone. On December 10, 2007, we had a meeting with Transcorp and I insisted that the Chairman of Transcorp, Dr. Ndi Okereke-Onyiuke must attend.
“We looked at the company as shareholders, analysed the problems and the status of Mtel and NITEL. As at that time, the workers were being owed October salary and the company had problems with working capital.
“We took a decision and Transcorp looked at their financial position and also took a decision to give up some shares, while government would also give up some shares for a third party, a core investor who would have controlling shares and rescue the company’s operations. That is what we have just done.” - Punch
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Emekaap: 9:29am On Feb 20, 2008
Guys,
Me be newcomer o!. abeg, wetin be CICO and wetin be the concept. I don read back about 20 pages to see where this CICO explanation dey, for where?
abeg, i just get promotion o! make i no go use the time wey i suppose dey use consolidate the promotion dey look for wetin CICO be.
abeg, make good samaritan take me through. no vex
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by upward(m): 9:32am On Feb 20, 2008
@All,
I think the information in the link below may be of interest to peeps investing or planning to invest in Afribank. Though I don't have a single share there, but I see this may push the price a bit. It's been agued here that it may not be a likely thing to happen but the rumour gets stronger. Just for your perusal

http://www.nigeriansecurities.com/shownews3.php?url=http://www.businessdayonline.com/investor/4231.html?print
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by faketan(m): 9:46am On Feb 20, 2008
Is this news fresh or stale?
http://odili.net/news/source/2008/feb/19/429.html

Transcorp on TS
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by upward(m): 9:50am On Feb 20, 2008
And for owners of Dangote Sugar shares, some news that may interest you is in the link below (Dangote sugar embarks on expansion and promises MORE returns to investors, by FY).

http://www.nigeriansecurities.com/shownews3.php?url=http://www.businessdayonline.com/investor/4231.html?print

Yeah, many gurus have recommended this stock severally on this thread, and I think one can still enter at current price; although the charts (candles) show there might be some more drop. The MACD histogram is just around the zero line, though looks like it's trending downwards, for the stochastic, %K is lower than the %D and still pointing downwards.

Fundamentally not bad to me, EPS of 2.16, and PE ratio of 19.62 (one of the lowest in it's sector). This is not an outright recommendation as I may not even be "guru enough" to do that, however I'm in on this one. Got me some chunk at 40.point something, and it's a medium-to-long term investment for me. That said, do your research and make teh decision. CAVEAT EMPTOR.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by TheAdmira: 9:56am On Feb 20, 2008
Emeka_ap:

Guys,
Me be newcomer o!. abeg, wetin be CICO and wetin be the concept. I don read back about 20 pages to see where this CICO explanation dey, for where?
abeg, i just get promotion o! make i no go use the time wey i suppose dey use consolidate the promotion dey look for wetin CICO be.
abeg, make good samaritan take me through. no vex

CICO = Cash In Cash Out
it's used 2 refer to short term trading (on this thread) buy a stock (cash in) and sell (cash out).
there are many other variants such as:
ZIZO Zoom In Zoom Out
RIRO Rush In Rush Out
GIGO Gamble In grab d loot Gamble Out
etc.
you can infact form your own!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Emekaap: 10:10am On Feb 20, 2008
The Admira:

[color=#006600][/color]

CICO = Cash In Cash Out
it's used 2 refer to short term trading (on this thread) buy a stock (cash in) and sell (cash out).
there are many other variants such as:
ZIZO Zoom In Zoom Out
RIRO Rush In Rush Out
GIGO Gamble In grab d loot Gamble Out
etc.
you can infact form your own!

Thanks man. you have just saved me some time and probably my job too wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by walcolm(m): 10:12am On Feb 20, 2008
faketan:

Is this news fresh or stale?
http://odili.net/news/source/2008/feb/19/429.html
Trnascorp on TS

it is stale news. we are waiting for the next moves
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 10:15am On Feb 20, 2008
@The Admira

you didnt quite get the interpretations well, but u got the meaning

GIGO here means get in, get out
CICO here means Circle in Circle out etc
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 10:28am On Feb 20, 2008
MyPeace:

@The Admira

you didnt quite get the interpretations well, but u got the meaning

GIGO here means get in, get out
CICO here means Circle in Circle out etc

Abeg make person patent these things o. We fit collect something from stockbroking firms wey wan use as for them site grin grin grin

Little correction on CICO.

I think it is  Cycle in, Cycle Out
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Teenom(m): 10:39am On Feb 20, 2008
@emeka

I second that, Cycle in Cycle out. grin
Random thought: How would you pronounce "CICO", I'm always thinking "Chico"
This fascination with CICO sef.

Do yourself a favour, devote your time and read the whole thread.its worth it
pumping777:

Abeg make person patent this things o. We fit collect something from stockbroking firms wey wan use as for them site grin grin grin

Little correction on CICO.

I think it is Cycle in, Cycle Out
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 10:39am On Feb 20, 2008
pumping777:

Did you miss the last cycle of GTB from middle of Decemer that just ended last week? It was at least 24%.

Chei. CICO (Cycle In, Cycle Out) na better sport.

Abeg, wey patents office for Naija? grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jandbaby: 10:46am On Feb 20, 2008
I think CICO is pronounced to rhyme with PSYCHO tongue

(1) (2) (3) ... (509) (510) (511) (512) (513) (514) (515) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.