Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,085 members, 7,960,448 topics. Date: Friday, 27 September 2024 at 08:45 PM

Parent Of Student Drowned At Choba River, Refuses To Pay N115,000 - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Parent Of Student Drowned At Choba River, Refuses To Pay N115,000 (488 Views)

(PHOTO ) See Accident That Happen In PORT HARCOURT Along Choba Road / Femi Otedola Announced Forte Oil Sells PMS N115 Nationwide / Fish Eats Drowned Guy At Elegushi Beach (PHOTO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Parent Of Student Drowned At Choba River, Refuses To Pay N115,000 by emmalexking: 12:17pm On Jun 20, 2016
Parents of a 20-year-old student of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), who drowned in the Choba river on the 1st of June, over the weekend kicked against the demand of N115,000 for pre-burial “sacrifice” proposed by the Choba community in Rivers state. The deceased, Omoseebi John, was said to have drowned in the river while working at a construction site around the river. The corpse was said to have remained by the riverside for some days before it was found by a search party and buried by the riverside in line with the customs of the community. The community had demanded the sum of N115,000 from the deceased’s father, Mr Andrew Omosebi before the corpse can be exhumed and transported to his hometown in Oke Oro Ijero LGA of Ekiti state. Paramount ruler of the Choba community, His Royal Highness, Eze Raymond Okocha, explained that the money was needed for certain rites that had to be done. Eze Okocha said: “The father of the late boy came to my palace alongside some other pastors to tell me that their son drowned in the Choba River. “I told them that in our culture, the corpse would be buried by the riverside. I also told them instances of what happened to people who disobeyed. I told them to carry the corpse if they insisted on taking the corpse to their place for burial. “We considered them so much and never wanted to give them strict conditions as the culture would demand. This is because it would have been bad for the corpse to decay into the river. “The money they said we demanded was for the burial rite by the riverside. Those who will bury the decaying corpse are not slaves. “They were meant to pay N150, 000, but I subsidized the money for them with my own money to ensure that the boy is buried and is not allowed to decay into the river. “I did not hinder them from carrying the corpse for autopsy or going ahead with other investigations into the events that lead to the death of the boy.” Mr Omosebi has however disagreed with the demand, saying “How can the Oba (monarch) of that community demand N115, 000 from us as if we came to marry a woman from the community. I am mourning the death of my only son and I am a Christian.”
Re: Parent Of Student Drowned At Choba River, Refuses To Pay N115,000 by ever811(m): 12:29pm On Jun 20, 2016
this the most disgusting trash I have ever heard for a long time now..when will Africans become humans.honestly there is no such thing like racism when Africans are called black monkeys. I believe this shit of a tradition must have started when 115k can buy the monarch,his family and the entire of ikwere land..so who is demanding the increase?..man made himself stupid is the case with African mentality.

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Find A Good ATM Card Holder Or Wallet In Lagos? / Hausa Man Brings A Liveless Horse Back To Life In A Public Display / VIDEO: Burna Boy's Babymama, Uju Stella, Shows Off Her Baby Bump

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.