Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,967 members, 7,963,078 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 04:19 AM

Twins , One Mother, Different Fathers. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Twins , One Mother, Different Fathers. (553 Views)

44-Year-Old Woman Dies With Her Twins After Refusing To Give Birth Through CS / James & John Ugwuoke: Conjoined Twins After Surgery Involving 22 Indian Doctors / Woman Gives Birth To Mixed-race Twins, One Black, One White(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Twins , One Mother, Different Fathers. by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jul 01, 2016
The So Called " Heteropaternal Superfecundation Phenomenon Strange but plausible and possible . Sometimes in medical practice, you come across some strange phenomenon that will rock your foundation and blow your mind away.
“Heteroparternal Superfecundity” is one of such phenomenon , the first time I read about it, I got floored but same time I consolidated my belief in the awesomeness of one supreme God. Life is not a straight curve! Sometimes, we do everything right, but don’t receive equal measure of good outcome. In the same vein, sometimes, we go the wrong route, but arrive at same right destination.
In a world, where some seemingly healthy and fertile women are finding it difficult to conceive, some other women are hyper fertile and can have multiple babies at a stretch.
Now, if you doubt the existence of one all knowing God, you probably need to relocate to another planet.
Anyways, back to the crux of the matter!
● What is Fecundity?
This is defined as the ability to produce an abundance of offspring or new growth. So by extension, Superfecundity is a phenomenon where a woman has an extremely high fertility index.
● What is Heteropaternal Superfecundity?
So, to put this in a practical terms , we all know that siblings can have different fathers, and technically such will make them half-siblings! FACT.
However in the above phenomenon fraternal twins (twins from two different eggs) have different fathers. Yes, I could hear the shout of, NOW YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING US RIGHT DOC?
But, this is not comedy channel, this is real, it happens! Matter of fact in one study, it was estimated that as many as 1 in 400 sets of fraternal twins is "bipaternal."!
♧♧So, how is it possible?
The practical logic is Simple: Two eggs from the same mother get fertilized by two different fathers within the same ovulation period. Bingo!
Anyways, maybe not that so simple. The above illustrated process is a common thing in certain animal species all the time.
For instance in the canine family, they can have siblings with more than two fathers! This is because "Female dogs ovulate multiple eggs," according to Joanne Boughman, executive vice president of the American Society of Human Genetics.
"And by extension when a dog is in heat, any male dog in the vicinity will attempt to mount her, so each egg could be fertilized by a different father, producing a litter of puppies that don't resemble each other in the slightest."
●However, humans aren't dogs,, we are higher animals! Normally, most times women ovulate only one healthy egg per cycle. But in the case of fraternal twins the woman will ovulate two healthy eggs and both get fertilized.
●This process, "superfecundation" happens once in a rare blue moon. Here, two eggs are ovulated during the same cycle and fertilized at different points within the five-day fertility window, resulting in a bouncing pair of twins.
So, next time you see fraternal twins, only the mother can answer the ultimate query about the paternity. Most times when we see twins, we assume that both eggs were fertilized during a single act of intercourse.
However it's quite possible for one egg to be fertilized during one act of intercourse, and the other during another act within the fertility window..
●So, "heteropaternal superfecundation" is logical, if and when a woman has sex with more than one man while she's fertile. That is, each egg can be fertilized by a different father!
♧♧ Afterthoughts
In conclusion, PLEASE, DON’T go querying couples who have twins who look nothing alike, don’t go about assuming that they have separate fathers. Be reminded the case herein is rare but possible.
● Remember that like any siblings, twins who have the same father can look completely different from each other. They may even appear to be of different races. Yes, PLAUSIBLE AND POSSIBLE.
Have a fabulous day.
Re: Twins , One Mother, Different Fathers. by Kingslaw(m): 9:19pm On Jul 01, 2016
Iya dimeji must explain lipsrsealed.

MAMA EJIMA?!?
Re: Twins , One Mother, Different Fathers. by BornnAgainChild(f): 9:30pm On Jul 01, 2016
This is simply a case of LOBATAN......!!!
Re: Twins , One Mother, Different Fathers. by Tolexander: 9:47pm On Jul 01, 2016
It is possible during "threes0me", "foursome", ....

Nairaland don craze, automatically correcting "threes0me" to party

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Marketing Tool Sunflower USB Flash Drive For Assam Milk Tea / This Woman Finally Seeks Treatment For A Large Cone Shaped Horn On Her Head / What Sup With My Sex Life?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.