Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,814 members, 7,962,638 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 02:04 PM

Getting The Right Power Bank For Your Smart Phone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Getting The Right Power Bank For Your Smart Phone (698 Views)

9 Ways You Are Accidentally Damaging Your Smart Phone / Beware ! Your Smart Phone May Be Teaching You Bad English / I Bought This FIL Power Bank That Look Like A Phone Today. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting The Right Power Bank For Your Smart Phone by Nobody: 7:54am On Jul 06, 2016
source: http://roidify..com
Portable power banks (external battery packs) are a popular accessory for smartphone users. They are basically a big battery in a plastic case with a USB port. You can use them to recharge you smartphone when you aren’t near mains electricity or when you want to charge your phone while on the go. The main characteristics of a portable charger is its capacity, quoted in milliamp hours (mAh). This come in all shapes and sizes from around 2,000 mAh to 20,000 mAh and beyond.

So if you have a device like the Infinix Hot 2, which has a 2,200 mAh battery, how much capacity do you need in an external battery pack? 2,200 mAh, right? Wrong! Let me explain
Sadly, many people are fond of purchasing power banks without any idea what there battery capacity is. Before getting a power bank you need to consider the capacity of your battery. Is it of 2000mAh capacity or higher? This is important because it gives you an insight into what kind of Power bank you need to buy. The capacity of a batter can be found written on it.

Now, if your device has a 2000mAh battery capacity, buy a power bank with at least 2500mAh. If you buy a 4500mAh model, it means you can charge your 2000mAh phone at least twice. In any case, opt for the highest capacity that your budget allows.

Secondly, check 'current draw'. Older phones do not draw more than 1 Ampere to charge their batteries. However, newer handsets and tablets need a 2.1 Ampere input current. Check your mobile's original plug for details on current draw. If possible, buy a powerbank with two USB ports — 1A and 2.1A. when it comes to charging your gadgets, current draw is more important than capacity.

Also pay attention to the type of cells — Lithium-ion or Lithium-polymer — used in the power bank. Li-ion is cheap and easily available. Li-poly cells, on the other hand, are more expensive, but provide twice as much charge density per unit weight.

Last but not the least, ensure that you buy from a reputed brand. Low-quality lithium-ion power banks not only effect performance, but are also a potential hazard. Many times, cheap battery packs — the type available on the streets — do not list the correct mAh capacity or the proper current draw. These batteries could also explode due to heating from over charging. For improved safety and performance, buy a model that comes with over voltage protection (OVP), over charge protection (OCP) and over-temperature protection (OTP) that ensure its longevity against spurts in current, and over heating during charging and discharging.

If you have anymore advice on choosing the right Power bank for a phone, pls drop your comments below. Hope this post was useful? Do other people the favour by sharing this!

Re: Getting The Right Power Bank For Your Smart Phone by Dottore: 8:02am On Jul 06, 2016
Very informative writeup. It would have easily made Frontpage if you had added few nonsense lines about yeyebrities in bikini or bum short or meaningless cleavage. Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Getting The Right Power Bank For Your Smart Phone by pointstores(m): 8:04am On Jul 06, 2016
i build locally made power banks

1 Like

Re: Getting The Right Power Bank For Your Smart Phone by Nobody: 8:18am On Jul 06, 2016
pointstores:
i build locally made power banks
thats interesting to know. i will like to add you on whatsapp so i can see ur products.
Re: Getting The Right Power Bank For Your Smart Phone by pointstores(m): 8:25am On Jul 06, 2016
Uzeinalkali:
thats interesting to know. i will like to add you on whatsapp so i can see ur products.

1 Like

Re: Getting The Right Power Bank For Your Smart Phone by Nobody: 8:50am On Jul 06, 2016
pointstores:
thank u

(1) (Reply)

Breaking! Samsung Officially Unveils Galaxys7 Edge Olympic Games Limited Edition / How To Install TWRP Recovery On YU Yunique Easily / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 For Sale At (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.