Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,893 members, 7,962,890 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 07:20 PM

Choosing A 'catchy' Business Name - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Choosing A 'catchy' Business Name (956 Views)

7 Most Important Things To Consider Before Choosing A Business Partner / Free Ebook: Choosing A Business Structure In Nigeria / Business Name Vs Limited Company - Which Should You Register? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Choosing A 'catchy' Business Name by gr8tness(m): 9:36am On Jul 28, 2016
I have received series of inquiries pertaining to choosing a business name. Let me use this opportunity to clear the air by raising a few summary on the selection of a catchy business name.

Before selecting a business name, please note the following;
- Business name gives your business identity
- Business name is the aroma that attracts people to the business.
- Business name is useless if your business does not provide quality service

Therefore, lets take a summerized look at the means of striking a catchy business. I will use the OSBAC Principle of the five sences to illustrate this;
1. SENCE OF SIGHT: the business name must look appealing especially when you coin the acronym. It shouldnt be too long such that client will take one look and be tired of reading the long sentence. See brands like Wal-Mart, Mr. Biggs, Intel Corporation etc. you dont have go write "Joshua Adeboye and Sons Nigeria Limited"...... be innovative with the name.

2. THE SENSE OF SOUND: When people pronounce your business name, the sound should be appealing, soothing and wow to pronounce. How does 'Indomie" sound in your ears? How does 'Silver Bird' sound to you? your name must sound interesting and easily memorisable- You dont need to go "Oluwagbemitan Kitchen and co Enterprises" except you don't want your business to go international.

3. SENSE OF FEELING- does the name stimulate certain feelings in the heart and mental senses of the 'pronouncer' of the name? your name should breed trust, breed pleasure, breed professionalism etc, depending on the type of business you want to do. When you hear 'Beauty Spar' and "Olamakinde Beauty and Pleasure Saloon" does it strike a difference? Would the second business name not be catchy if you have a clause to funkify the "Beauty and Pleasure Saloon"?

4. THE SENSE OF SMELL: clients are the best percievers of smell- they smell distrust, smell suspicion, smell fake brand and smell smell smell. Hence, your good intention for business can be dampened because clients judge you by your name first. so avoid frivolous and ambiguous names that can make people doubt your brand. Dont imitate other brands because clients would read meaning into every actions or inaction so be original.

5. SENSE OF TOUCH- can clients relate with your brand as though it is their household name? it depends on the name of the business you choose. Check out "Macclean toothpaste" and "Maggi" these are brands that may have gone out of the market but their name still rings bell in the market. Even when people wants to buy close up toothpaste, they will say I want to buy Macclean etc.

I would stop here now, in my next post, I will create a distinction between a Business Name and a Trademark name.

If you require a business name for your brand or business, you can request a business name from us for FREE. Simply contact us via whats-app: +234-706-818-0074. With a brief summary of your business objective, the market segment you want to cover and the future of the business, we can provide you with list of business name you can consider.

Thanks once again, I am Sani Emmanuel Numa, Business Startup Consultant and Market Research Analyst, Brics International and Oliveserah BAC. I'd love your feedback,,,,, I Love Africa

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Exchange Rate In Nigeria Today August 5th 2016 - Dollar Hits 400 Naira / Please Where Can I Sell My Dollar / Congrats you have A Business Plan,now Time For A Cool Logo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.