Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,137 members, 7,936,532 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 03:35 PM

Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? (43349 Views)

No Ethnic Group Can Beat The Fulani, The largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria - Bello / How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano / Anambra, 4th Largest State GDP In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by cloud9usher: 11:22am On Oct 10, 2016
Tiv is the 4th largest.

Even Wikipedia confirms it, it reads: "They are among the
majority ethnic groups in Nigeria, ranking as the fourth most populous ethnic group. Numbering about six million individuals in Benue State alone, according to 2014 estimates, they occupy the Middle Belt States of Benue, Taraba, Nasarawa, and Plateau. A few Tiv are also found in Cross River and Adamawa States of Nigeria and in the southwestern Province of Cameroon."

Source- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiv_people

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by aluku5: 11:22am On Oct 10, 2016
The fourth largest ethnic group in Nigeria is IJAW. They are in Bayelsa, Rivers, Delta, Ondo, Edo and Cross River states of Nigeria.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:22am On Oct 10, 2016
gebest:
haaay bros, bearing yoruba names does't mean anything, anybody can bear any name he likes, now let me educate u a bit, Akoko Edo some of dem bear yoruba names but there language is not yoruba at all, OWAN some of dem bear yoruba name but their language is not yoruba at all, now we ve IJAGBA in ondo state but they speak edo 'owan' precisely, now we ve d IGBANKE'S they clasify them as edo igbo but their language is not igbo at all just like akoko edo they clasify as edo yoruba. So there is no yoruba nor igbo language in edo.
Thank you very much. Don't mind all these idiots

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by tommynico(m): 11:23am On Oct 10, 2016
Afonjas:
BBC said it's 1 million, of course they won't tell the world what dey did to us, so leave that thing you're reading on wikipedia, we lost between 3 million and 3.5 million persons in the war, even now Yoruba people are not more than Igbos, Nigeria is still playing politice
Who told you that the yorubas are not more than the igbos, well i thank God for intermarriage.

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Afonjas: 11:25am On Oct 10, 2016
Bekwarra:
It baffles me how convenient it is for some people to say there are no Yorubas in the South-south but claim confidently that there are Igbos in Kogi and Benue states. Funny indeed.

But when they say it the other way round you will accept it

3 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Okeycima: 11:27am On Oct 10, 2016
iamhorny:

you sound pained

by the way, were you expecting me to refer to the doctored Nigerian population census starting from 1952-53 which was manipulated by britain to favour the hausa fulani in their quest for the control of power/resources through having more representative seat?.

read this if you care..http://saharareporters.com/2013/12/10/debunked-harold-smith-nigeria-census-lies

The 1920/1921 figures are the most accurate census we have had..as for lumping other etnic group with the igbo, the colonial masters are not as ignorant as you assume. they know each and every distinct ethnic group...

pix 1 is a map of igbo land in 1902, show me a part of it that is not an igbo area

pix 2/3(cont) is showing the igbo sub groupings, in 1920, also show me a part of the igbo tribes listed that are not igbo

This why i love nairaland,it has been a source of education for me, hence i was forced to register. i use to be an observer since 2011 and i have learnt alot from people here especially Nigeria's history

brother where did you get that second image you posted after this comment am Quoting?. I mean what the name of the book and the author of the book,whose image you posted after Elizabeth isichie's book
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by SpicyJosBabe(f): 11:34am On Oct 10, 2016
dimieprincess:

Do you even know the Ijaws? They are the largest indigenous ethnic group in Rivers State. Some of you need to purge your self this hatred. Ijaws have a governor, 2 deputy governor, 5 senators and 13 reps, so tell me the language other than Ijaws with this feet

The Kanuri people of Borno and Yobe state have 2 governors, 6 senators and over 15 house of reps
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 11:41am On Oct 10, 2016
This country is just full of illiterates. How can someone say that because a tribe is indigenous to several states or even regions, that makes them large. There's a difference between been widespread and being large. A tribe can be found in only one state and still be very large as opposed to a tribe in several states. If for example, you say Ijaw is the 4th largest ethnic group and support it with the fact that they're in Bayelsa, Rivers, Edo and Delta. The question i will ask is "How many are they in these states?". There are about 1.7million people in Bayelsa state and let's assume that all of them are Ijaws (meaning, there are no non-indegenes living there) and let's not forget that the largest population of Ijaws are in bayelsa. Now let's add them to the Ijaws in Rivers state which for the sake of this argument, i'll say they constitute 30% of the population and using the official census, that will be about 30% of 5.1 million which gives you about 1.5 million. In the spirit of generosity let's also assume that Ijaws make-up 30% of the population of Delta state which gives them 1.2 million out of 4 million and let's dash them 500,000 each in Edo and Ondo states. Let's also assume that Ijaws also travel a lot and that there population outside their States is 1 million, that gives them a total of 5.4 million and this is in the spirit of generosity and hear I saw someone saying that the Ijaws have a population of 15 million. The kind of bogus lies some Nigerians tell is just bigger than the problems of the county.

The truth is that there is no official census based on ethnicity in Nigeria. All we can do is to speculate but with reason. For instance, I usually use the ethnicities I run into mostly in different parts of the country to determine which of them is larger and I must say that I come across more than 10 Efik/Ibibio/Annang/Oron people before I come across an Ijaw person. So, there's no way Ijaws are anywhere close to being the 4th largest.

cc: hopeathand, tonyebarcanista

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Delonn(m): 11:41am On Oct 10, 2016
Bekwarra:
Right from primary school when we were small children we've been taught and it has become a part of our subconscious that there are 3 major ethnic groups in Nigeria- Hausa-Fulani, Igbo and Yoruba. This is a common knowledge among most Nigerians young or old. These 3 ethnic groups are spread across more than one region for example Hausa-Fulani can be found in the Northeast, Northwest and the North-central, the Igbos can be found in the Southeast and South-south while the Yorubas can be found in the Southwest, South-south and the North-central.
However apart from these 3 major ethnic groups, there are over 200 other ethnic groups in Nigeria. Some in their millions while some others are just a few thousands. One knowledge that has always seem elusive is that of the 4th largest ethnic group in the country. Consequently, my academic readings online and in hard copies as well as news items have thrust before me the possibility of 4 candidates; Ijaw, Urhobo, Tiv and Itsekiri. I don't really know the population strength of these ethnic groups because different media and academic reports have mentioned them as being the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria.
This is the major reason for bringing this question here to gain more knowledge. Which ethnic group is the 4th largest in Nigeria.
Ijaw is the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria followed by Urhobo being the 5th largest.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by SpicyJosBabe(f): 11:48am On Oct 10, 2016
nwabobo:

The Igbos are the largest followed by the Yorubas and then the Hausas. The 4th are the Efik/Ibibio and then the Ijaw

So where do u put Kanuris, Tivs, Nupes and Gwari?
For the fact that you have been living all ur life in the south does mean the south is all of Nigeria.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Realhommie(m): 11:48am On Oct 10, 2016
buchilino:

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT 2 URHOBO PPLE. D NUMBER MAYBE TRUE COS DER NUMBER ONE HUBBY IS SEX.
If you say this about the Urhobo's then obviously you haven't met the Ijaws.

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Acidosis(m): 11:48am On Oct 10, 2016
Bekwarra:
Baba what's doing you now. Is Niger delta a tribe?
ahahahahahahs
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by buchilino(m): 11:53am On Oct 10, 2016
Realhommie:
If you say this about the Urhobo's then obviously you haven't met the Ijaws.

HONESTLY, BW D TWO I REALLY DON'T NO WHO IS D INDISPUTABLE SEX CHAMPIONS
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by SpicyJosBabe(f): 11:55am On Oct 10, 2016
lekkie073:
which kanuri?
ijaws r larger than kanuris
kanuri r not even occupying 30% of borno state

Oga u dont know what u are saying o.
Only Kanuris produce the governor in Borno and Yobe states. The same kanuris are also found in Jigawa and Bauchi state in large numbers.
Kanuri are the 4th largest group. I dont think Ijaws can even be up to Tivs in population.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:55am On Oct 10, 2016
iamhorny:

you sound pained

by the way, were you expecting me to refer to the doctored Nigerian population census starting from 1952-53 which was manipulated by britain to favour the hausa fulani in their quest for the control of power/resources through having more representative seat?.

read this if you care..http://saharareporters.com/2013/12/10/debunked-harold-smith-nigeria-census-lies

The 1920/1921 figures are the most accurate census we have had..as for lumping other etnic group with the igbo, the colonial masters are not as ignorant as you assume. they know each and every distinct ethnic group...

pix 1 is a map of igbo land in 1902, show me a part of it that is not an igbo area

pix 2/3(cont) is showing the igbo sub groupings, in 1920, also show me a part of the igbo tribes listed that are not igbo

This why i love nairaland,it has been a source of education for me, hence i was forced to register. i use to be an observer since 2011 and i have learnt alot from people here especially Nigeria's history

May it be well with you. How can a sensible individual be arguing with Nigeria's population stats. I love those old records you're putting up. They are the best! Not some Abokii-doctored crap only the Yor.uba use.

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Godson32(m): 11:55am On Oct 10, 2016
Bekwarra:

There are Yorubas in Edo and Delta states. Go figure.
There is no yoruba in delta state,only that itsekiri is related to yoruba,they share common names and similar language. In warri,I ve an itsekiri friends that answer Tunde,Olu etc. I think Ijaw is the 4th largest tribe in nigeria,not quite sure o.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by SpicyJosBabe(f): 11:56am On Oct 10, 2016
But wait to how come you people are not mentioning NUPES and GWARI people? These are among the largest tribes in the middlebelt.

Nupe people are the largest tribe in Niger state, the second largest tribe in Kwara state and they are found in large numbers in Kogi state and FCT.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by postmann: 11:57am On Oct 10, 2016
Bekwarra:

There are Yorubas in Edo and Delta states. Go figure.

There are no yorubas in delta state. You ought to have done some simple research before making your submission to the world. You talked about the possibility of Itsekiri being the 4th largest tribe but this tribe is arguably the smallest tribe in Delta state.

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by hollyayo(m): 11:59am On Oct 10, 2016
God bless u sir, I'm from kogi State and I'm yoruba
riddler4real:

I am yoruba from Kogi state. My dialect is quite different from the core yoruba language. I bare both yoruba names and surname. Our languages are different but we share a common heritage (cultural values) that is noticeable in our names. In this part of the world there is so much attached to names that u can ever know. It's one of the few evidence that we share similar heritage. My language is very similar to itsekiri....

There is a township within the boundaries of Edo state just after Ore in Ondo state. I can't remember the name but their version of yoruba is quite similar to mine also. The township is before okada when coming from Ore road..... I have been there on one occasion.

Whether you like it or not..... The yoruba heritage extends to some parts of the south south..... it's quite unfortunate we don't have monunental historical records other than the names we bare in our respective society.

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by buchilino(m): 11:59am On Oct 10, 2016
martineverest:
e get tribe wey no like sex

IF U SPEND A MONTH IN AN UROBOHO COMMUNITY, U WILL UNDERSTAND WAT AM TALKING ABOUT. ONCE THEY FINISH DAT THING A CALL SAPELE WATER N SOME OTHER ONES. THEY BECOME SEX MANIACS
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by EternalTruths: 12:01pm On Oct 10, 2016
tommynico:

Who told you that the yorubas are not more than the igbos, well i thank God for intermarriage.

Did your father conduct census based on ethnic group.?

I am just asking ooooooo to know how you arrived at your conclusion grin
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Armaggedon: 12:03pm On Oct 10, 2016
vodutive:
before people stop arguing out of ignorance over yoruba and Delta, maybe they should take a minute and look at the map of Nigeria, look at the south coast from ondo to bayelsa.

When you realise the proximity of these locations to yoruba land, and the fact that the Fulanis you call Nigerians today were not in Nigeria a few hundred years ago, it's not difficult to realise that there are people from the SS who may not be classed as Yorubas today because they are not part of present Yoruba states but are yoruba in origin, they may have been migrants.

If you go back far enough, everybody is a migrant.
that is only a wish

just tell us where yorubas can be found in south south not stories
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Oct 10, 2016
SharkTank:

Is Niger Delta a tribe? I don't understand some of you these days. Hausa as a single tribe, that is without attaching Fulani, doesn't have a higher population than Igbo. The only tribe than is more than Igbo is probably Yoruba and that's cos we lost 2 million persons in the civil war

My brother,not to sound unconcerned about our death toll during the war,the 2 million did nothing to our population. We're still incredibly more than others. Take it from me.

3 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by SpicyJosBabe(f): 12:03pm On Oct 10, 2016
buchilino:

You guys should leave the Niger delta and visit Benue. The average Benue woman gives birth to 12 children in her lifetime. Dont try Tiv people o.
Have u not heard that in those days in Benue people use their wives to welcome their friends with sex?

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by willibounce1(m): 12:08pm On Oct 10, 2016
iamhorny:
well for southern Nigeria, the igbos are the single largest ethnic group, followed by yoruba..

Ijaws are not in any way the 4th largest. it is between the tivs, kanuri or fulani.

Have you ever wondered why the igbos are so numerous outside their home land constituting the largest Nigerian ethnic diaspora in any city/country in the world except maybe in london where there are as much yorubas if not more than the igbo. Go to any major city in Nigeria/Africa, the igbo populations in such cities are usually numerous, from lagos, to abuja, to kano, to ibadan to ilorin to makurdi, to warri, to benin to yenagoa to minna, to dutse to yola, to Accra to Lome, to Abidjan to Cotonou to Nairobi, to Johannesburg to Cairo they are just everywhere in Multitude numbers..

Now this is it, read this

You are really Hot.. even your brain is extremely Hot as you need several slaps to set it straight. Ibos the largest ethnic group in the south? I am.not surprised..anything to make you flattinos happy and cover your low self esteem issues...people know the truth.. you can continue to.make yourself happy on NL

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Oct 10, 2016
Armaggedon:
that is only a wish

just tell us where yorubas can be found in south south not stories

God gave you a brain, use it, the purpose of an education is to give the brain some common sense and teach you how to think and reason, use it. Man gave you books, read them. man gave you google, use it. Everything you want is out there is you can be bothered. Nothing I say will make a difference so it's up to you to find the truth if that is really what you want to know. You have books, you have the internet and i assume despite preliminary evidence to the contrary that you have a brain and common sense.

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by buchilino(m): 12:09pm On Oct 10, 2016
SpicyJosBabe:

You guys should leave the Niger delta and visit Benue. The average Benue woman gives birth to 12 children in her lifetime. Dont try Tiv people o.
Have u not heard that in those days in Benue people use their wives to welcome their friends with sex?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Armaggedon: 12:11pm On Oct 10, 2016
ODVanguard:

Lol. You had to go all the way back to the 1920s, why?? cheesy Because they fit into your jaundiced assertion. Igbos of the present day SE and part SS have the LEAST population in Nigeria TODAY of the 3 major tribes! Prove otherwise with verifiable data or forever shut tha fvck up. No sensible person is buying your bullcrap.
it is you who claim that will prove
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Realhommie(m): 12:11pm On Oct 10, 2016
buchilino:

Trust me when i say it's the Ijaws between the 2,i'm Urhobo and hell nahhhh i ain't being sentimental.

Btw, there's no tribe or ethnicity that doesn't like sex the world over. lolz
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by DozieInc(m): 12:12pm On Oct 10, 2016
asamaigho:

Apapa is a word in virtually all languages in nigeria. So dont limit it to ijaw.
Pls what does Apapa mean in your language.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Oct 10, 2016
leghagha:
How can the itsekiri be in contention for the 4th largest ethnic group when even in delta they are a minority

Lmao!!! This guy is hilarious
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Armaggedon: 12:13pm On Oct 10, 2016
vodutive:

[s] God gave you a brain, use it, the purpose of an education is to give the brain some common sense and teach you how to think and reason, use it. Man gave you books, read them. man gave you google, use it. Everything you want is out there is you can be bothered. Nothing I say will make a difference so it's up to you to find the truth if that is really what you want to know. You have books, you have the internet and i assume despite preliminary evidence to the contrary that you have a brain and common sense. [/s]
talking trash as usual. Just tell me where indigenous yorubas can be found in south south

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Atiku: PDP Presidential Campaign In Osun (Photos) / EFCC Arrests Rochas Okorocha For Money Laundering / Olukayode Ariwoola Born In 1958, Started School In 1959?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.