Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,237 members, 7,936,801 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 12:04 AM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (1128) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (912342 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1125) (1126) (1127) (1128) (1129) (1130) (1131) ... (1165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 12:38pm On Jul 26
lovewins:

I don't disagree with your commentary on Nicole, but the point is it would have been ill-advised for Randy to start her yesterday. Don't forget she's had a few chances to start with the Falcons and she didn't exactly do very well. I think starting from the bench was the right decision. I however fancy her starting against Spain.

Against Spain, to me she can start considering how quick Mariona and Athenen can be on the flanks..!

Randy major problem right now is getting his 3 players upfront right…! Ajibade can’t do it all.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 12:44pm On Jul 26
Naomi Girma shutdown Barbara Banda yesterday night…!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 12:45pm On Jul 26
Yesterday's game was not a good game abeg. undecided undecided undecided
Symptoms persists and so a doctor or physician is needed!! Forget those stats. There's nothing disparaging about comments made on that abysmal showing. Stats don't lie but remember the scoreline didn't do justice to overall conclusion. I watched the game and will NOT be contented with the full time stats. And that's all sincerity.

The reason we ought to be clinical up front is because of we are not favourites to do anything in the group of deadly powerhouses that all they need is a mistake(which we keep doing) to make their own difference.

We have not crossed that bridge where if a team makes a mistake, the probability that we'll pounce and get a goal is too low. Decision making around final third.

We want the best for this team. But if criticism is seen as overdo then we don't need nobody to tell us that we will continue to give 6/10 as best when 7 should start to be the least per game.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 12:48pm On Jul 26
mostob:
Who were those heavy?

2 fullbacks
2 midfielders
Two subs

I saw 4 of these in 1st half when they were not yet fatigued. More annoying when a fresh sub comes on and is acting like they've been on the field for 70mins

And i dunno if na my eyes but the WWC version of our gk is different from the one i saw yesterday too.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 12:50pm On Jul 26
codemaniacs:

The players position themselves too far from each other so that means they had to run more and make longer passes which makes them tired and the weird thing is they played better when they position themselves closer to each other but the coaches didn't seem to notice..

The successors and next generation of players need to be invited to be super falcons..

this team missed players like Gift Monday, Ajakaiye and Flourish Sebastian on the wings.

The person playing the left wing wasn't dropping deep to help Okeke in defending..
We definitely needed fresh blood in the setup. Esp the wings. Infact let everyone play their preferred natural position. Too many makeshifts.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 12:51pm On Jul 26
Sports Minister John Enoh, NFF President Ibrahim Musa Gusau and FIFA Council Member Amaju Pinnick with the Falcons in the dressing room after the match against Brazil in Bordeaux.

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 12:53pm On Jul 26
daveP:

2 fullbacks
2 midfielders
Two subs

I saw 4 of these in 1st half when they were not yet fatigued. More annoying when a fresh sub comes on and is acting like they've been on the field for 70mins

And i dunno if na my eyes but the WWC version of our gk is different from the one i saw yesterday too.

Is time we tell Nnadozie the truth, she need to watch her weight, she look heavy! No one is saying she should go and lift weights and look strong but shred some Fat..

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 12:57pm On Jul 26
lovewins:

This was one of our biggest faults as a team yesterday. We didn't have any sense of urgency at all. We didn't take advantage when a Brazil had too many players in the offensive end. We always allowed them set up before we begin plays. It became more obvious when Nicole came in as she wanted to activate plays almost immediately but we were just too docile Everyone was to blame here.

There were times when I felt Chiamaka could begin a counter attack but she just slows it down and this gives Brazil enough time to setup their defense. Very disappointing overall.

This is the lack of surprise that pisses off someone that is not a fan of falcons but joins you to watch for the first time. The element of surprise and pace. This why Japan did what they did at the world cup. No time for too many touches. It is when we are leading a game that the gk should be trying to slow down things. Nicole gave one sweet through pass and onumonu abi kanu was beaten by the fullback tracking back. I trust Ajakaye with such or the Ordega we knew. Otilo.

If you can't run or dribble, why should you be on the wings for heaven's sake. Randy messed up abeg. Seems it's his style to do that to every 1st game of every tournament he's been in. It's a pattern now
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 1:00pm On Jul 26
Deltamani:

Is time we tell Nnadozie the truth, she need to watch her weight, she look heavy! No one is saying she should go and lift weights and look strong but shred some Fat..

Finally! So no be my eyes las las. She's added weight. If spain wire her shots ...omo! Make i no think am.

Will it be safe to say the Brazilian assessment of her played out?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 1:32pm On Jul 26
Deltamani:

Against Spain, to me she can start considering how quick Mariona and Athenen can be on the flanks..!

Randy major problem right now is getting his 3 players upfront right…! Ajibade can’t do it all.

I will start Esther and Kanu/Oshoala upfront with Ajibade. Spain will hold most of the possession so not point fighting that. We however need pacy players who can help us transition quickly and they give us the best chance. I also do not expect us to sit back, that will be a recipe for disaster.

My hope is that Brazil defeats Japan so we can at least have a chance at qualification against them if the Spain game doesn't go our way.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 1:35pm On Jul 26
Deltamani:

That may be a bit difficult sha. When I lost all hope for this is when Oparanozie in that video said Chiamaka is the one who loves food the most in the team. Lol. Na prayer remain like this.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by EEGA: 1:39pm On Jul 26
Kanu is not a CF. She is a LWF who can also function as a false 9. She lacks the positioning and spatial awareness to play as a striker, because she thrives in running into spaces down the flank.We need more creative legs in midfield so that the attackers can see more of the ball.Recall that both Ucheibe and Abiodun are both defensive midfielders.
codemaniacs:

back 3 is good..

but you are forgetting that footballers are not static and can switch or move positions during the match which means 2 at the back can become 3 at the back if one of the DMs like Ucheibe drops deep to help the CB infact against Brazil they played 4 at the back because Abiodun and Ucheibe were doing all the tackling and interceptions for the defenders..

the problem was Echegini did not move to CM or CAM while Abiodun and Ucheibe dropped to help the CBs so there was no one in midfield to transition the ball...

no need to move Ajibade to the middle. let Kanu play as CF while ihezuo moves to LWF and since players can move positions during the match ihezuo should also play closer to Kanu as LCF which is what I expected Echegini to do instead of just staying as the Left Wing she should have move downwards and played as SS to Ihezuo and should have also dropped deep to help Okeke with the defense then run with the ball to Offense the same way Ajibade was helping the defense and carrying the ball to Offense..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 1:39pm On Jul 26
daveP:

This is the lack of surprise that pisses off someone that is not a fan of falcons but joins you to watch for the first time. The element of surprise and pace. This why Japan did what they did at the world cup. No time for too many touches. It is when we are leading a game that the gk should be trying to slow down things. Nicole gave one sweet through pass and onumonu abi kanu was beaten by the fullback tracking back. I trust Ajakaye with such or the Ordega we knew. Otilo.

If you can't run or dribble, why should you be on the wings for heaven's sake. Randy messed up abeg. Seems it's his style to do that to every 1st game of every tournament he's been in. It's a pattern now

Randy didn't mess up Baba and we didn't have a bad game. Yes things didn't go out way but we made the most of what we had all things considered. Like they say in nation building that demographics is destiny, in football roster/personnel is destiny.

Randy had to make the most of what he had. We sadly don't have the personnel to do the things your stated here. I wish we did but we don't. Ajakaye and Sebastien aren't living up to expectations and until they do or other players come up we are stuck with what we have.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 2:23pm On Jul 26
It's wasn't a bad game yesterday , Nobody will watch the match and say Brazil ran us over , our passing has improved a lot from the last tournament.... We still need that striker of 1 chance 1 goal because we are not a team that creates many chances especially at the highest level if Ihezuo convert that chance yesterday it would have disrupt the Brazilians

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by M7even(m): 2:25pm On Jul 26
Deltamani:
Stats don't lie...

SuperFalcons gave their all against Brazil, But I think Randy Waldrum choice of starting Echegini on the left flank failed him.. She was supposed to fight for the AM spot with Toni Payne. When Toni was messing up in Midfield, Echegini was supposed to come in and sort things out..

It was a very cagey affair. I felt Nigeria should have left the field with a draw at least.

Randy should have started Kanu and maybe brought on Okoronkwo to the left flank.

It will be unfair to think Randy didn't want to win the match. He knew well Brazil was the weakest team in the group hence starting Payne and Echeigini to create chances alongside Rashidat , football is quite tricky and if we had converted our initial chance that fell to Ihezuo, perharps it could have been a different tale at the end. However, we still showed some lapses in our defense which was exploited by Brazil and that cost us. We can maintain the same tactics which guarantees a solid and compact defense, utilizing our early opportunity, while frustrating our next opponent and hopefully this will create a different pendulum swing in our favour. The mentality of the girls is excellent. And they fought till the end.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 2:30pm On Jul 26
Deltamani:
Naomi Girma shutdown Barbara Banda yesterday night…!
She did a very clean job. Sometimes, she didn't even try to race with Banda. She just wait for the perfect moment to intercept or toe-poke the ball away from Banda.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 2:33pm On Jul 26
daveP:

Onumonu bro... It was Ify. That was a chance that could have resulted into a goal. Oshoala and Macleans were on the bench but Mr Randy brought in Ify instead. I just dey laugh yesterday.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:37pm On Jul 26
Deltamani:
Stats don't lie...

SuperFalcons gave their all against Brazil, But I think Randy Waldrum choice of starting Echegini on the left flank failed him.. She was supposed to fight for the AM spot with Toni Payne. When Toni was messing up in Midfield, Echegini was supposed to come in and sort things out..

It was a very cagey affair. I felt Nigeria should have left the field with a draw at least.

Randy should have started Kanu and maybe brought on Okoronkwo to the left flank.

Honestly I still think that match exposed his squad selection. U needed a Rinsola Babajide or Gift Monday yesterday. There was joy on the flanks but we had nobody that could take advantage. I still don't understand why Rasheedat stopped going at that leftback.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 2:39pm On Jul 26
lovewins:

Randy didn't mess up Baba and we didn't have a bad game Yes things didn't go out way but we made the most of what we had all things considered. Like they say in nation building that demographics is destiny, in football roster/personnel is destiny.

Randy had to make the most of what he had. We sadly don't have the personnel to do the things your stated here. I wish we did but we don't Ajakaye and Sebastien aren't living up to expectations and until they do or other players come up we are stuck with what we have.
I don't want it to look as if I'm forcing agenda here but someone should check and analyse the two bolded please.

My question is, who is the coach? who is in charge of calling up 'personnel'? A coach that went to tourney with just 2 central defenders. He sidelined Rinsola and picked unfit Ifeoma even when there were 2 CF in the team already.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 3:59pm On Jul 26
mostob:
I don't want it to look as if I'm forcing agenda here but someone should check and analyse the two bolded please.

My question is, who is the coach? who is in charge of calling up 'personnel'? A coach that went to tourney with just 2 central defenders. He sidelined Rinsola and picked unfit Ifeoma even when there were 2 CF in the team already.

To me the idea of dropping Rinsola was definitely to make sure he picks his Favorite Americans, cause if Rinsola was to be there one of his American based forward will have to be on the Reserve or out.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 4:03pm On Jul 26
BascoVanVeli:

Honestly I still think that match exposed his squad selection. U needed a Rinsola Babajide or Gift Monday yesterday. There was joy on the flanks but we had nobody that could take advantage. I still don't understand why Rasheedat stopped going at that leftback.

My mind was like Push Esther Okoronkwo to the left flank and bring in Oshoala or Macleans..

At least as Payne wasn’t doing well, Echegini would have come in, so as to allow Rash continue her job on the Right Wing. If you noticed very well the Brazilian Coach had to double her markers on Ajibade, some times 3 players were on her, this would have freed up more space for the other winger on the left to operate..

Don’t play Echegini and T Payne together at this stage cause the Midfield is very thin right now.. the moment Ajibade was moved to the middle the team flow from the flank dropped..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 4:04pm On Jul 26
mostob:
Onumonu bro... It was Ify. That was a chance that could have resulted into a goal. Oshoala and Macleans were on the bench but Mr Randy brought in Ify instead. I just dey laugh yesterday.

Is time Onumonu get dropped off the team until she plays her way back in her club base..! As a Center Forward she isn’t Stronger, quicker or even clinical than the Macleans I know..

Esther Okoronkwo is far better than Onumonu with all have seen, Esther can dribble clean, run, defend score and also press.. My only problem is she overdo sometimes especially trying to show those flashes when u’re already marked by two players when a simple pass could have done the job.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by M7even(m): 4:21pm On Jul 26
Deltamani:
Sports Minister John Enoh, NFF President Ibrahim Musa Gusau and FIFA Council Member Amaju Pinnick with the Falcons in the dressing room after the match against Brazil in Bordeaux.

Obviously the girls themselves are not too happy with their own performance..what we can do is to encourage them and cheer them like those at the helm of affairs ..but for now they should desist from TikTok videos

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by M7even(m): 4:31pm On Jul 26
mostob:

Look there will be some level of bias and I can understand where this bias is coming from. Ifeoma to Randy is sort of a relationship of bias feelings. Ifeoma as an individual is quite intelligent with a gentle spirit. To the team she has been committed and has been playing for a while. She is as American as Randy and that makes him appreciate her better. She may not be the best but then she always wants to give her full average to the team.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 4:39pm On Jul 26
BascoVanVeli:

I would have picked Rinsola Babajide as she would have offered a lot especially from the Left flank as she’s arguably the best crosser of the ball from the left flank that have seen in recent by any Nigerian player.

I’m currently rewatching the match, that 15th minute triple chance the falcons missed literally came back hunting. We don’t normally create much why not try as be clinical enough to take the few chances we get.

Kudos to Ajibade she did the Brazilians dirty on the Right flank, even Ludmila had to foul her on two occasions but referee didn’t blow. Randy choice of moving Ajibade to the midfield was because he already exhausted his two options of Toni Payne and Pnyi Echegini.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 4:43pm On Jul 26
M7even:

Look there will be some level of bias and I can understand where this bias is coming from. Ifeoma to Randy is sort of a relationship of bias feelings. Ifeoma as an individual is quite intelligent with a gentle spirit. To the team she has been committed and has been playing for a while. She is as American as Randy and that makes him appreciate her better. She may not be the best but then she always wants to give her full average to the team.

You’re spot on, Right now I will say she has past her prime or struggling to get back to form. She’s already at 30. Onumonu was far better than this in the past 5 years.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Parizz: 4:52pm On Jul 26
Btw alozie and okeke, I don't know who is worse as fullback. Sometimes I think alozie is overrated maybe because of her beauty
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by yinkeys(m): 4:54pm On Jul 26
Deltamani:

It may help her knees too if she does
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 5:07pm On Jul 26
Parizz:
Btw alozie and okeke, I don't know who is worse as fullback. Sometimes I think alozie is overrated maybe because of her beauty

Alozie hasn’t done bad as a Fullback, remember she’s originally a Forward. With what she has shown at the World Cup and in recent years she’s pretty decent. But again Nicole Payne need to step up as an Original Right Back and the Younger ones in the League have to do the same.

Okeke hasn’t been able to maintain her rise as a Fullback/Center Back, maybe the series of knee injuries might have played a part but again she’s a no nonsense Defender on a good day.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 5:14pm On Jul 26
Like what the Commentator said Nigeria can’t depend on Rasheedat Ajibade alone, and it was obvious all our attacking hopes were on her. I saw Echegini strike the ball on three occasions but my instinct tells me she’s someone Randy should bring from the bench for Toni Payne as the tournament progresses.

Look at Tarciane, she was just too dominating in all her duel, aerially she beat all our players hands down as no balls could get past her, only Esther Okoronkwo was able to dribble past her and that has been one of the trending photos on the internet right now. This brings to my mind Maureen Umeughochukwu 22yrs who’s of same height with #3 Tarciane. She better play her way from the French league D2. Her height is too much to waste in a D2 league.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BankyGee(m): 5:18pm On Jul 26
Nigerian fans sha 😂 I just dey laugh since.
Once you lose a match, it's automatically a bad game, forgetting about the odds of who you're playing against. I knew we would lose (based on the odds) and I knew we would win (based on the mentality of the girls). Personally, I handicapped Nigeria two goals up to win (not telling anyone to start betting if you ain't 😂), I knew we would win and even if we lost, we can't concede more than one. I told someone, this is not a game we would lose woefully, we can't lose woefully to any team in the world, provided we take our chances. We're all acting like we don't know the problem of the Falcons has been scoring goals, we have many clean sheets, 15 games unbeaten before this, but where are the goals? This is what we should be talking about, not rubbishing the girls' performance and blasting the coach like some people have been doing since yesterday.

Y'all's current African Champions 🇿🇦 conceded an aggregate score of 9–0 across two legs against this same Brazil and the Falcons that played a balanced game with them should be stoned to d€@th.

This same thread, a lot of y'all called Oshoala finished, weak and all manner of names but now she's the savior. Randy Waldrum is not stupid and didn't go there to lose the match. If we won y'all won't be running riot all over the thread right now... There's no weak team in that group, but Brazil is the team "perceived" to be beatable in the group, which is why Randy Waldrum used the squad he used, if they had been clinical we would've won that game by 3 goals or 2 goals to 1 and NOBODY will come and shout for Oshoala to start. If Oshoala entered and fumbled one way or the other, the anti-Oshoala and Bench Oshoala FC squad will rise up again. WHAT DO WE WANT EXACTLY?!
The Brazilians are physical and you can't risk Oshoala or McCleans when you have Japan and Spain in the group. The squad he started would've finished the game in the first half if they were clinical. Overall-ly, they had a good game.

Spain is our next opponent and I can bet that Oshoala or McCleans would start, not every decision that doesn't work out means a coach is clueless. It's not like the Spain we're talking about plays football with each players having 4 legs.

Make we dey do the calms abeg.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Hanibal(m): 5:23pm On Jul 26
Reading through comments here...
It's like I watched a different match, Abi na 2008 Olympics I watch?

Judging by the balance of play, we could have won or drawn the match, the setup wasn't bad, that shot from the Brazilian lady would beat Uzoho all day! Good goal..
Just that our Strikers are clueless.

But why did Randy Waldrum keep the reigning African women footballer on the bench for 90 mins while chasing the game? And opting for Onumonu? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (1125) (1126) (1127) (1128) (1129) (1130) (1131) ... (1165) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: Confiture, ddone and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.