Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,130 members, 7,936,518 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 03:06 PM

There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers (26231 Views)

Saraki: One Of Robbery Suspect Pictured With The Senate President At A Function / The Moment Chris Ngige Escaped Mob Attack During APC Congress In Awka. PICS / Osinbajo Remains Acting President As I Continue My Rest - President Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by AirFireEarthH20: 12:32pm On Feb 08, 2017
haveadream:
The word "transmitted" is subjective depending on whose side you are. No lawyer is ignorant of law after the years they spent to get qualified. A lawyer can argue a case successfully that does not make sense and win if he is able to convince the Judge and not people like you. A lawyer can loose a good case not because of ignorance but because the other side can convince the Judge. So its about how to convince a Judge to make an informed decision. Remember we are not talking here about a rogue judge that took bribe in a given case but rather an objective Judge that have respect for rule of law and equity.

Sir, i understood your points clearly. Frankly, it's a known fact that some Nigerian lawyers speak from both sides of their mouth esp when issues of politics are involved depending on whose side they support. Femi Falana for example, and there are many cases I can bring up to make you understand this.

Anyway, let's leave it at that

1 Like

Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by michoim(m): 12:34pm On Feb 08, 2017
Senseless and jobless lawyers
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by lilybonny(f): 12:35pm On Feb 08, 2017
More matters to ponder on undecided
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by Rozaay: 12:36pm On Feb 08, 2017
lilybonny:
More matters to ponder on undecided
it's called distraction!
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by lilybonny(f): 12:38pm On Feb 08, 2017
Rozaay:
it's called distraction!
Abi oo undecided I just tire for this country.
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by Kx: 12:38pm On Feb 08, 2017
Buyeradvertcom:
•Legislators acknowledge receipt of letter

But a question on who signed the letter threw Abdullahi into a fit of anger as he condemned what he called an insinuation that the Senate was not truthful about its declaration that the letter was in its custody.

He said: “With due respect, I found the last comment very uncomplimentary to the president. I have no apology for that. If he’s there, can’t he write a letter and forward it to the Senate by DHL?

No comment.
Sometimes it is only through asking intelligent questions that some truths are unearthed without knowing.

Like I said, no comment.

1 Like

Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by Wiseandtrue(f): 12:40pm On Feb 08, 2017
Buyeradvertcom:
Legislators acknowledge receipt of letter
President not sick, Lai Mohammed insists
Why Onnoghen may not be confirmed
"Yes, I issued a statement on the 22nd of December (2009), but the circumstances are vastly different. Mr. President is not ill; Mr. President did not go for treatment; Mr. President went on leave and did the proper thing according to the constitution.”

http://guardian.ng/news/senate-lawyers-split-over-vacuum-in-presidency/
Elder lying Mohammed...

2 Shares

Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by AngelicBeing: 12:44pm On Feb 08, 2017
What a confused country sad sad angry angry
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by Pascal181: 12:49pm On Feb 08, 2017
Hehehehe, Nigeria cease to have President d day Goodluck was voted out of office
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by AudacityBoss: 12:49pm On Feb 08, 2017
The drama continues....

1 Share

Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by ileogbenfidel(m): 12:51pm On Feb 08, 2017
Nigeria is a scam
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by modanwealth: 1:03pm On Feb 08, 2017
If the lawyers are contradicting themselves, who are we to believe?

someone should pls tell me what I need to hear.....
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by danielenyinka(m): 1:10pm On Feb 08, 2017
There is foul play here, the truth is forth coming
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by breakeven: 1:23pm On Feb 08, 2017
Marotzke:
No you played the north again. Only that this time, they will not make it easy for you again.
If it means placing him on life support and ruling by proxy, they are ready for that.
In fact even if he dies they are prepared to rule by proxy and continue to tell us he is alive until 2019 to replace him. To them they will rather die than relinquish power. They know the rest of us are chicken hearted.
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by Montaque(m): 1:25pm On Feb 08, 2017
AirFireEarthH20:
Balderdash write-up! Some lawyers are ignorant of our laws. The constitution says"whenever a letter is transmitted..." it didn't say whenever a letter is read. The Senate has acknowledged receipt of the letter by the President asking for an extension of his leave/medical vac therefore, it means the Acting President will continue to act until Buhari writes another letter to Senate he would like to resume work. So no vacuum whatsoever.

Olodo lawyers full everywhere for naija

Don't u think Its u that is the olodo.
If a letter is delivered to an institution like NASS, how do we prove what the content is? Moreover, has there been a notification to all members in plenary/deliberation of the letter?
The intention of the constitution is to lay it before the house in plenary, not just delivering a letter which no one knows its content as yet.
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by tete7000(m): 1:43pm On Feb 08, 2017
Marotzke:
No you played the north again. Only that this time, they will not make it easy for you again.
If it means placing him on life support and ruling by proxy, they are ready for that.

Unfortunately only God determines how long a person can live not machines. They are muslims and the religion dictates if a person dies he should be buried asap. As it is I believe the man is still somewhere alive in some dicey state of health. What happens next, time will tell but one thing I am sure of, lie doesn't endure.

1 Like

Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by PassingShot(m): 1:54pm On Feb 08, 2017
haveadream:
The word "transmitted" is subjective depending on whose side you are. No lawyer is ignorant of law after the years they spent to get qualified. A lawyer can argue a case successfully that does not make sense and win if he is able to convince the Judge and not people like you. A lawyer can loose a good case not because of ignorance but because the other side can convince the Judge. So its about how to convince a Judge to make an informed decision. Remember we are not talking here about a rogue judge that took bribe in a given case but rather an objective Judge that have respect for rule of law and equity.

So, in your sincere mind, "transmit" will not mean "to send" or "to deliver"; but "to read at a plenary session"?
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by MONITZ: 2:16pm On Feb 08, 2017
Marotzke:

U re one hell of a smart dude... And I am glad that someone else also sees this same imbroglio the same way with me and also the power play that the North re capable of....

Nigerians forget so easily and that is the reason we keep falling into the same ditch repeatedly. We all witnessed wat happened wen Umaru Musa Yaradua was dying and the cabals still held onto power tightly like he was Hale and hearty(...)and also often regaled us with how he was seen playing with his grandkids and occasionally seen jogging around the Villa.

With the centre no more holding and with more agitations from Nigerians, the man was finally brought in dead or comatose in the dead of the night and it even took the switching off of the lights of an international airport to achieve this stunt.
Also not forgetting that it took the statement of Dora Akunyili of blessed memory for the scales to fall off Nigerians' eyes..

With no more tricks to pull out of the bag, the cabal had to succumb to allowing Oga Jona to fully take over the reins of power, also we shouldn't forget that a certain letter delegating power to Jona was purportedly sent to the National Assembly by Yaradua bt the cabals prevented all of that from coming to limelight. Constitutionally the Vice President should take over from the president if he becomes incapacitated or unable to continue acting as president bt wat did we have under Musa Yaradua? A certain doctrine of necessity had to be invoked.(...)I am saying this because of those folks who re quick to latch onto wat the constitution says,and forget that wat is truly obtainable in Nigeria is different because of the born to rule mentality of some citizens who continue to see power as their birthright.

Fast-forward to a few years after, we re down this same path.(...)It took threat and forces of coercion to prevent Oga Jona from getting a second shot at the presidency and even losing the polling booth within the precinct of Aso Rock which to me was instructive..Some citizens of northern extraction made statements that could best be described as incendiary ,hate filled,and treasonable. ..

And now that they finally ve the power, u expect them to give it up easily again, no problem, u shall all wait till u all will grow tired of waiting. The mistake most of us re making is the fact that we underestimate the Hausa/Fulani Oligarchs' love for power, they can kill to ve and keep it and the Chibok girls' scandal comes to mind(...)a situation where an educationally disadvantaged state had almost three hundred students are in a girls only academy supposedly sitting for Physics, yes physics and not Arabic study or any stuff like it, a subject that is not too easy, and tedious,a number which even the most educationally advantaged states won't ve for this subject. All the principals of northern extraction involved in that much publicised scam ve been compensated in one way or the other with the exception of Ezekwesili.. Yes it took all these shenanigans to paint a sitting president bad , incompetent and confused and hence the need for power to return to the north.
And you all think that the power which they so much cherish would be given up just like that, hmmm, this is just wishful thinking....

The Yorubas will wait till forever because I don't see Osibanjo taking over fully, he will only continue to act with some notable areas that he won't be allowed to touch as acting President, I am waiting to see how Onnoghen will be confirmed as Chief Judge which to me would be the first true test of the so called presidential powers that he now wields, the concentration of power in the hands of northerners in the early part of this administration is instructive.....And I am very very convinced that my instincts can't be wrong.....

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by brojoshua: 2:27pm On Feb 08, 2017
End time lawyers
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by brojoshua: 2:28pm On Feb 08, 2017
End time lawyers, God, deliver us from all of them
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by martooski(m): 2:30pm On Feb 08, 2017
Buyeradvertcom:
Legislators acknowledge receipt of letter
President not sick, Lai Mohammed insists
Why Onnoghen may not be confirmed

In a statement issued as National Publicity Secretary of the Action Congress (AC), Alhaji Lai Mohammed had said the situation then where ministers and aides of the president gave out uncoordinated information on his health, was doing more harm than good. He urged that the citizens should be given a daily update on the health of Yar’Adua.

WALAHI NA THIS ONE STRIKE ME PASS.... KARMA NA BITCH
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by VOR(m): 2:43pm On Feb 08, 2017
gbegemaster:
Ride on. What interests me is na WHO SIGN THE LETTER? It's obvious that question was thrown aside with feigned annoyance.

Time will reveal all. Buhari has approximately two months to show up and even before then, tension will continue to rise.

Where does two months come from?
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by gbegemaster(m): 2:46pm On Feb 08, 2017
VOR:

Where does two months come from?
My brother you know how Nigeria matter be. We like to take our time to observe before we take action. So I allocated two months before an uprising. But it won't get to that if Nigerians are now awake.
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by InvertedHammer: 2:49pm On Feb 08, 2017
haveadream:
A lawyer's responsibility is simply to bring up an argument for or against a brief or any matter as the lawyer deems fit.

\
It wouldn't hurt for a lawyer to stay on a subject matter than start yarning dust for the heck of it. This is what separates the guys in the law firms from the ones under a mango tree.

Just like in any profession, there are good lawyers, mediocre ones and the ones who have no business in law.

/
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by Nobody: 3:57pm On Feb 08, 2017
MONITZ:

U re one hell of a smart dude... And I am glad that someone sees the mystery surrounding the president's health the way I do..
Nigerians forget so easily and that is the reason we keep falling into the same ditch repeatedly. We all witnessed wat happened wen Umaru Musa Yaradua was dying and the cabals still held onto power tightly like he was Hale and hearty(...)and also often regaled us with how he was seen playing with his grandkids and occasionally seen jogging around the Villa.

With the centre no more holding and more agitations from Nigerians, the man was finally brought in dead or comatose in the dead of the night and it even took the switching off of the lights of an international airport to achieve this stunt.

With no more tricks to pull out of the bag, the cabal had to succumb to allowing Oga Jona to start acting fully, also we shouldn't forget that a certain letter delegating power to Jona was purportedly sent to the National Assembly bt the cabals prevented all of that from coming to limelight. Constitutionally the Vice President should take over from the president if he becomes incapacitated or unable to continue acting bt wat did we have under Musa Yaradua? A certain doctrine of necessity had to be invoked.(...)I am saying this because of those folks who re quick to latch onto wat the constitution says,and forget that wat is truly obtainable in Nigeria is different because of the born to rule mentality of some citizens who continue to see power as their birthright.

Fast-forward to a few years later, we re down this same path.(...)It took threat and forces of coercion to prevent Oga Jona from getting a second shot at the presidency. With some citizens of northern extraction making statements that could best be described as incendiary and hate filled..

They finally ve the power, and u expect them to give up the power easily again, no problem, u shall all wait till u all will tired of waiting. The mistake most of us re making is the fact that we re underestimating the Hausa/Fulani Oligarchs' love for power, they can kill to ve and keep it.

The Yorubas will wait till forever because I don't see Osibanjo taking over fully, the concentration of power in the hands of northerners in the early part of this administration is instructive.....And I am very very convinced.

Deep and insightful thinking.
A people that will kill their children and kidnap , convert and marry other people's children in the name of politics and religion are holding the reigns of power and you all think they will hand it to you willingly
I laugh in Cantonese angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by Blue3k(m): 4:14pm On Feb 08, 2017
modanwealth:

You must have never met lawyers. They hardly ever agree on anything. That's why they argue for hours citing points and rebuttals til exhaustion. Then do it again tomorrow. Believe how ever makes best case. Then we wait to see what judge says on issue if it gets that far.
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by Oforleta(m): 4:20pm On Feb 08, 2017
There's no vacancy in Aso Rock as rightly posited by the erudite counsel. The law as it's right now does not give the National Assembly the power to either reject or approve any letter coming from the president seeking for leave to travel, therefore, there's no need for any resolution approving or rejecting it as they don't have such power. The letter is just a mere formality and it. The law as it's today doesn't also state the number of days an elected president or governor will be absent from office in the name of vacation or for medical tourism.
All these are pointer to the fact that our constitution needs urgent amendment, we can't continue to allow persons elected to public offices to be away unduly in the name of vacation or medical leave, it's imperative that the constitution is amended to reflect the number of days any elected public office holder can be away. This is to avoid giving them room to abdicate and abandon the work for which they were elected to do yet receiving salaries for doing nothing. May God help Nigeria.
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by YoungBlackRico(m): 4:31pm On Feb 08, 2017
donchrisville:
Smh
is that arya?
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by ivandragon: 7:08pm On Feb 08, 2017
much ado about nothing!

Osibanjo is acting president regardless of the circumstances of letter or no letter, as long as PMB cannot be reached, the next person is the VP, simple.

the more germane issue is this, is PMB 'fatally' incapacitated or not?

this needs to be resolved ASAP, because there is no point Osibanjo 'acting' indefinitely if PMB cannot continue in office/resume 'permanently', which is why a disclosure of his health status now is important so that the matter can be resolved & Nigerians move on to more pressing issues & not be stagnated in silly debates about if PMB is alive or dead.

on a lighter note, Nigerians need a focal point for their 'venom', no use wasting it on Osibanjo if PMB is coming back. BH just took back a village, whom do we blame?

Osibanjo or PMB?
Re: There Is Neither President Nor Acting President At The Moment- Lawyers by kolado(m): 12:14am On Feb 09, 2017
modanwealth:

What you need know is that the Nigerian Constitution is like the Bible, anybody can interprete it to please himself or herself. Chikena!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bibitayo Mimiko Weds Aderemi Adetola (Photos) / Senate Deputy Chief Whip Speaks On Dumping APC For PDP / John Fashanu Enters Race For Sun City Presidential Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.