Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,225 members, 7,880,846 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:04 AM

.... - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / .... (686 Views)

10 Reasons To Accept The Resurrection Of Jesus As An Historical Fact / Oyedepo Commands Followers To Kill Suspected Terrorists - 2015 / TB Joshua Re-uploads Clinton Prophesy On Facebook As Followers Defend Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

.... by Nobody: 2:44pm On May 04, 2017
Re: .... by thesicilian: 2:49pm On May 04, 2017
Solomon with all his wealth would have the highest, especially the women folk.
I'm sure Jesus Christ would have plenty of followers because of the miracles, but a lot of those followers would just be haters, analysing & criticizing every single miracle.
Re: .... by MrBrownJay1(m): 2:51pm On May 04, 2017
jesus (if we can call him an historical figure) would have the most followers, and subsequently turn even more people into follow-follow clueless sheep.
Re: .... by thesicilian: 2:54pm On May 04, 2017
MrBrownJay1:
jesus (if we can call him an historical figure) would have the most followers, and subsequently turn even more people into follow-follow clueless sheep.
When last did you change the engine oil in your brain?
Re: .... by MrBrownJay1(m): 2:57pm On May 04, 2017
thesicilian:

I guess your poor religious brain runs on engine oil, mine runs on LOGIC.

1 Like

Re: .... by Nobody: 3:00pm On May 04, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

I think Mohammed would have had more followers than Jesus. Jesus existed in a very fragmented society with diverse religious views, ruled by an empire that tried as much as it could to curb cultural polarization.
Also, the kind of beliefs Jesus was espousing were considered heretical by the Jews, which made up majority of Jesus' society, and unlike Mohammed, Jesus was too much of a pacifist to gain followers through means like violence and war, which people at that time found appealing in a leader.

There is substantial proof that a person like Jesus existed, so yes we can call him a historical figure.
Re: .... by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:10pm On May 04, 2017
Stewie101:

I think Mohammed would have had more followers than Jesus. Jesus existed in a very fragmented society with diverse religious views, ruled by an empire that tried as much as it could to curb cultural polarization.
Also, the kind of beliefs Jesus was espousing were considered heretical by the Jews, which made up majority of Jesus' society, and unlike Mohammed, Jesus was too much of a pacifist to gain followers through means like violence and war, which people at that time found appealing in a leader.

There is substantial proof that a person like Jesus existed, so yes we can call him a historical figure.

You are right but Christianity IS the religion with the most sheeps out there, thus would have much more followers on social media. Islam would be close second

1 Like

Re: .... by AgentOfAllah: 3:28pm On May 04, 2017
I don't know how far back in history you wish to restrict the answers, but seeing as you've posted this in the religion section, it would seem you're expecting the answers to focus on religious figures of history. Naturally, one might be tempted to mention the likes of Jesus/Muhammed because they have the most followers presently, however, it's not so easy as that. The only reason humans idealise religious figures of history is because we have very little information about them in the first place. We receive limited nuggets of factual information and then resort to artistic liberty to fill in the gaps. Over time, we end up with fantastical hagiographic accounts which are attractive enough to persuade people into believing that such people are perfect, ergo the buildup of devoted followership with time.

Imagine these figures had access to, and were active on social media, then many of their strengths, flaws, ideological flip-flops and idiosyncrasies would then be laid bare for all humanity and for all of eternity...or until the internet expires. As a result, they probably would have come across as very ordinary humans with glorious flaws! Then their followers would end up being just their clansmen/women. On the other hand, maybe if they were superstars who did something really remarkable, like Shakespeare/Da Vinci/Beethoven, then their social media followership would be great, not for their perfection though, but for their individual brilliance.

I would nominate artistic and engineering geniuses like Shakespeare or Da Vinci or Beethoven as candidates for the most followed historical figures if they had access to social media.

1 Like

Re: .... by Amberon: 4:14pm On May 04, 2017
someone without a brain questioning another.
thesicilian:

(1) (Reply)

Open Heavens Daily Devotional 10/06/17 / Pope Ask All Ahiara Catholic Priests For An Apology Letter. Vatican Radio / “I Am So Happy That I Am Free”- Fr. Patrick Edet Resign As Catholic Priest..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.