Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,079 members, 7,960,431 topics. Date: Friday, 27 September 2024 at 08:23 PM

Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? (3948 Views)

HELP : INTEL Core Vs AMD : Which Is Better ? / AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? / AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by na2day2(m): 5:03am On Sep 25, 2007
abeg, this is not rocket science, kindly go online to each of this companies sites and compare the specs. u look at the bus speed, the cache, clock rate. and pls if all u do is check email or microsoft word, ur amd sempron might just be all u need but with all said and done, amd is all the best performance for the money while intel has a better marketing force. u can get a quad-core or even a core 2 extreme and it will seem be slower than ur normal core duo or athlon 64 if u dont have apps that are designed to take advantage of the quad; implication, u just built an expensive junk.
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by meetchas: 12:58am On Sep 30, 2007
Hi guys.

Sorry I just saw this (I know it's been long forgotten).

But is anyone still doubting that Intel makes better processors than AMD?

Even in terms of graphics, AMD is loosing out.

After taking over ATI, ATI's market share dropped further, relative to nVidia,
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by na2day2(m): 1:11am On Sep 30, 2007
marketing has nothing to do with performance. amd has the worse marketing unit but there cpu does well. as for ati, it had begun to suck b4 amd took it over. on the other hand intel is winning the marketing war but they also fired 10,000 of their staff because they were losing trying to beat amd on the price point levels.

meetchas:

Hi guys.

Sorry I just saw this (I know it's been long forgotten).

But is anyone still doubting that Intel makes better processors than AMD?

Even in terms of graphics, AMD is loosing out.

After taking over ATI, ATI's market share dropped further, relative to nVidia,
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by Cactus(m): 4:14am On Sep 30, 2007
the type of processor used these days do not really matter much. Both are great in their own way.

Also keep in mind majority of computer users, they

go online (email, community, etc)
chat
document processing (word, excel)

that is all majority of people use pc for
Obviously if you are into hardcore gaming, graphic design, photo editing, then you may be concerned about what type of process used.

Regardless of that, most people only do simple graphic design, photo editing and gaming, which both can easily satisfy.

It doesnt matter if you are a basic user, average user. Then people will say they are power users lol. No matter what type of processor you get, your computing power needs will be satisfied. except you are running applications for Nasa or something crazy. nothing much is needed.

You can pretty much buy any new computer these days and be satisfied. Major difference is in design, presentation, and packaging simple. and sony rocks in this aspect lol.

Previously people ask me I am looking for a computer, I want this much power, I want this much space. well I give them a good specification. But now if someone ask me what computer should they buy. My first question is always how much do you want to spend?

For $500 you can get a kickass system. to me for an average user it doesnt matter.
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by Seun(m): 2:49pm On Sep 30, 2007
Just make sure you have enough RAM (512mb for Windows XP, 2GB for Windows Vista)
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by Saipro(m): 10:05am On Oct 06, 2007
I generally use AMDs but Intels have always ruled the market. But anyday, gimme my AMD processor (been using AMD for 7 years now), Gigabyte board, 512GB+ system RAM (>333MHz), NVidia with 256MB+ dedicated RAM - we have a party!

Asides the Duo cores & Turioins (in which Intels outperform AMDs generally speaking), the corresponding AMD have always floored equivalent Intels, time and time again. Nonetheless, Intel will continue to outsell AMD 4:1 largely because people don't know better (AMDs are cheaper, quieter and run more efficiently). Also because it doesn't matter. Asides those of us who game, you're hardly likely to even nearly push your core to the limit.

Forget FSBs, pipelines, chipset types and so many other variables. While in truth they largely impact performance, they become significant for power-users, not the run-of-the-gamut everyday folk. Get it?

And thanks to other people who's posts have gone a long way to try to clarify things. Thanks to those who muddled things up as well - we'd be out of a job if it weren't for you.
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by meetchas: 2:08pm On Oct 07, 2007
Cactus, I disagree a bit.

That is just a myth (processors not being a major consideration in setting up a PC).

Look at what they are saying in "PC Format" forums or even "PC Zone" forums. These asre the magazines I read regularly

I do a lot of gaming and believe me, that pretty much deifnes how I set up my PC.

I can't even consider an AMD because I don't even think the guys who wirte codes for the kinds of games I play even consider them,

Tell me which AMD can run FSX or BioShock,

If you just browse and do word processing, then maybe it might not matter.

But for the rest of us who do hard core gaming and everything esle, we won't even touch an AMD (or ATI graphics cards for that matter).
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by meetchas: 2:09pm On Oct 07, 2007

That is just a myth (processors not being a major consideration in setting up a PC).

Look at what they are saying in "PC Format" forums or even "PC Zone" forums. These asre the magazines I read regularly

I do a lot of gaming and believe me, that pretty much deifnes how I set up my PC.

I can't even consider an AMD because I don't even think the guys who wirte codes for the kinds of games I play even consider them,

But for the rest of us who do hard core gaming and everything esle, we won't even touch an AMD (or ATI graphics cards for that matter).
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by na2day2(m): 3:49am On Oct 09, 2007
hmmmmm, dont know wat to say to u but u r very ignorant. i just hope u didnt read the mags upside down. kindly go to amd.com and educate urself. know the parameters and know wat they mean, then go to intel's site and compare or do run a bench mark of ur own to find out b4 u come out and just out rightly mis-yarn. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

meetchas:

Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by meetchas: 10:22pm On Oct 13, 2007
Na2day?

There's no need for insults and mudslinging, I was only airing my opinions which I'm entitled to.

By the way, I run 3DMark and PCMark for benchmarking.

I've told you what I do with my PCs, I don't know any hard core gamer who uses AMD or evn runs ATI Graphics.

One of my desktops came with a Radeon (ATi) which I have since chocked,
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by na2day2(m): 11:22pm On Oct 13, 2007
i am sorry for being rude but i still strongly recommend u check spec 4 spec. one thing for sure, ati has lost its flavor but not the way u think. like i said earlier, i am sorry 4 my earlier words. take care.
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by RuuDie(m): 3:34pm On Oct 15, 2007
COOL TOPIC cool cool cool

Use AMD Mobile Sempron. . . . . . . whats its Intel equivalent
Re: Which is Better:The Pentium or the AMD? by na2day2(m): 7:47pm On Oct 15, 2007
?? celeron M ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

" I Need Resxx/mcshield.dll Error " / How To Configure China Techno Phone To Browse / SOLD OUT!!! UK USED Hp Pavilion Dv7 Core I7, 1gb Dedicated Graphics @75k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.