Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,177 members, 7,963,865 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 08:51 PM

Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. (8047 Views)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THREAD FOR LANDLORDS AND LANDLORDS TO BE ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> / Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords / Collect More Than 6 Months’ Rent, Go To Jail, Fashola Tells Landlords (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by Shinatu: 12:41pm On Jan 21, 2010
tkb417:

are u for real?
so the landlord prefers his house empty?

No, potential landlords will just not bother to become landlords!
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by hackney(m): 12:57pm On Jan 21, 2010
The same Govt that is useless to people's needs is trying to dictate how landlords will
manage their own houses.

I think the govt should concentrate on ressurecting NEPA.

The idea is a good one but if it was a decision between say an association of landlords and
that for tenants it will have a chance but the govt makes me sick so they can ffuucckk off and build more houses.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by BAC: 1:13pm On Jan 21, 2010
This accommodation problems in lagos is set to double in the next few years. Its an investors paradise. Although rent in lagos is chicken change,  In lagos Land lord is KING,  and we will remain KINGS,  grin so you tenants i suggest you bow, if you can't pay, carry your load go village Fashola will give you transport money
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by Owoinukolo(m): 1:24pm On Jan 21, 2010
BAC:

This accommodation problems in lagos is set to double in the next few years. Its an investors paradise. Although rent in lagos is chicken change, In lagos Land lord is KING, and we will remain KINGS, grin so you tenants i suggest you bow of us,

Kings we will be, no doubt. Who are the subjects? I would rather be a king where the subjects are able rather than unable.

@Nigeria
We like playing the ostrich game, hid our head in the sand with every other part of our body out in the open and believe that because we can't see others therefore they can't see us. mumu!!
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jan 21, 2010
So who protects the interest of the Landlord when the tenant refuses to pay rent and claims he is entitled to six months quit notice during which he expects to leave in your house FOC. abeg forget matter. it will not work.

I have said that I will collect one month rent, daily rent self if there are basic things in place to ensure that the tenant does not rob the landlord of his well desrved rent. For instance, I can take motnhly rent if we include some clauses that makes it easier for the landlord to recover money if tenant wants to default. e.g
• tenant to pay 2 months rent as caution deposit
• Rent is due on the 1st day of the month
• rent attracts a fine if it’s not paid by the 5th of the month
• Tenant agrees that he has “quitted” him/herself if rent is not paid by the 15th and he has 7 days to leave the premises

etc etc.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by tkb417(m): 2:00pm On Jan 21, 2010
when they start enforcing

carry placards to alausa or better still seal up the property

werrin concern agbero with overload cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by otukpo(f): 2:32pm On Jan 21, 2010
THAT IS WHAT IS OBTAINABLE IN OTHER MEGACITIES AND LAGOS IS ASPIRING TO BE ONE.

IT IS GOOD AS LONG AS IT CAN BE ENFORCED.

EVRYONE INCLUDING THE LANDLORD WILL START ENJOYING IT ONE DAY.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by Mauricemoh: 2:41pm On Jan 21, 2010
Well with the co-operation of we Lagos tenants and Law enforcement agency I believe that law can work. If there is a direct line or an office whereby one can lodge complain if any landlord or landlady refuse to adhere to the Law. I believe it can worK. EKO ONI BAJE OOO
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by Redman44(m): 2:47pm On Jan 21, 2010
I feel it is a good move by the Fashola Administration smiley smiley Leaders should strive to make things easy for the citizens. However, I have this advice for Nairalanders: If you are not working for someone or a company, or you're an entrepreneur, I suggest you consider living in cities outside lagos especially Ibadan, Abeokuta and Akure where accomodation is cheaper to secure. I know people that work in Lagos and live in Ibadan and Abeokuta. These people have their own cars [ it makes them get to the office in Lagos easily without relying on Public transport ] and they've become used to driving to and fro from Lagos daily. Some bankers have even chosen to settle in Sagamu and Odogbolu to save costs. It is all about saving money in the long run.

I believe the new housing and land laws being made by the Fashola Administration will help in reducing the number of people living in Lagos State, thereby freeing up space for public amenities. It is the way it is done in advanced nations. Cheers.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by Redman44(m): 3:12pm On Jan 21, 2010
People now have access to mobile phones and the internet in Nigeria [ we might not be there yet concerning the speed of the internet ], so I wonder why everyone is rushing to live in Lagos. We have Starcomms, MTN, GLO, Zain [ can't remember the new name of this chameleonic coy ] and internet service providers. Entrepreneurs can live in any part of Nigeria and still be able to do business with their customers. If someone is a publisher, he can have his office in Akure and have his writers, artists and photographers living in different parts of the country. With his mobile phone and the internet, he can get photographs, articles and artwork from his crew wherever they are located. His printer can even be based in Abuja. Files can be sent through the internet to the printer's office and the graphic designer will get to work smiley smiley This applies to many kinds of businesses in Nigeria, you know. And we have a Post Office with services that are grossly underutilized cry cry

Nigerians, we have all we need to start out. Other amenities will soon become functional as honest politicians start to come out of their shells. Cheers wink wink
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by kalabi: 3:40pm On Jan 21, 2010
it is a good idea but not the right time. There are some thing that government ought to have done before enforcing such law. Providing an affordable accommodation for people should have been the first thing to do. we have resources in this country to build houses that will be affordable.

It will not work, it will just be on paper.

What of companies that goes to bank to borrow money and build estate or houses for rentage with the aim of recouping their money back in shortest time. They said there would not be agency again what of the company that are in line of this business. this will lead to another unemployment.

Lagos landlord we be asking their prospective tenant that "are you fashola son? if u r fashola son my house is not for u.

It always difficult to regulate a market in Nigeria where a demand is more than supply. By the time u r claiming that Fashola or law say u should not collect more than 3 months rent another person will be ready to 3 years in advance.

Government should provide accmodation b4 that kind of law can work
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by Spyker: 3:41pm On Jan 21, 2010
Fashola got it wrong this time, you cannot dictate to a landlord how you want rents to be collected, does he want tenants to be harassed or the rents to go up.

I think what the Government should do is to build many low cost houses and place their rents on a monthly basic, this will force house owners and landlord to start collecting monthly rents.

You can not give what you don't have, how many houses has Lagos state government built for civil servants, have they accommodated all their workforce before you say landlords must do this or do that.

FASHOLA, remove the speck of dust in your eyes first so that you can see clearly to remove the speck of dust in other peoples eyes. This is one of the dumbest bill i have ever read about. This reminds me of NigSat 1.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by oluclem(m): 4:06pm On Jan 21, 2010
Is a very a good steps but I think the issue of every Lagosian turning into Agent and charging exobitant fee too should be review. The govt should register the agent and control their charges.

It's painfull when you pay as N100,000 for agreement agenc fee for a two room apartment.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by beewhyfocs(m): 4:38pm On Jan 21, 2010
A very good step. Like I can gather from the post, it is still subject to legislative debate.

My challenge with Nigerians is that we complain over a lot of things ranging from the decency of accomodation to the price of tooth-pick. However, any attempt of the goverment to alleviate such things is publicly critized and viewed as futile efforts. I believe its high time we started encouraging some well meaning leaders like BRF. A lot of people were of the opinion that BRT would not work because of the 'agberos' yet its working now. Fashola adroitly involved the NURTW in the BRT scheme and they quickly let go of the 'Molue' ideology.

If he had done it before, he can do it again. Im very sure he will put mercenary in place to curb some of the unscrupulous and greedy elements who claim to be landlords.

I believe very soon, long term loans will be available to developers so they would not be at the mercy of commercial banks.

In my own, I believe the government has done a good thing in this regards.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by hbrednic: 4:54pm On Jan 21, 2010
this is the most stupid law of the year
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by SeXyBoNE: 5:00pm On Jan 21, 2010
I BELIEVE ITS GOINA WORK
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by SeXyBoNE: 5:02pm On Jan 21, 2010
hbrednic:

this is the most silly law of the year

I DO NOT SEE ANYTIN SILLY IN THIS

THE GOVT IS TRYIN TO MAKE LIFE EASIER FOR THE CITIZENS

WE WILL GET THERE
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by NosaHenry(m): 5:32pm On Jan 21, 2010
Na today
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by KMTee(f): 5:55pm On Jan 21, 2010
e don tail
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by mroluway: 6:23pm On Jan 21, 2010
@ phemmmy , Very soon, i am sure that it is the Tenant that will take the govt to court, when there is no house for them to rent.

nice post,
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by nazzyon(m): 7:34pm On Jan 21, 2010
Laws rarely work in this country I think the only way that the government can fight this is by building houses and renting them out to people.

Such move will force most homeowners to reduce their charges.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by omobamital(f): 8:14pm On Jan 21, 2010
what is wrong in giving money to d people of haiti?
As per the law it'll see the light of the day,
My FATHER is also a landlord and i'm happy with the
law cos we won't live in our parent's house forever,
let's make life worth living for all & sundry.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by bettes(f): 8:20pm On Jan 21, 2010
Lanlord's used to collect rents on monthly basis in the past,then tenants started to abuse it,so lanlords decided to start collecting rents annually to save them the trouble of chasing tenants about.I hope the government would also put in place policies that would protect the lanlords' interests.Besides some tenants would rather pay for their rent annually.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by NEIGHBOUR(m): 8:31pm On Jan 21, 2010
We should ask Fashola how many low-cost houses has he built since becoming the govenor of this state?
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by honeric01(m): 9:01pm On Jan 21, 2010
Paid 50k for commission and agreement just because i wanted to rent an apartment, 100k for a flat, 5-10k for useless security, yet they still come to collect close to 200 naira every month for the same security.

i don't mind paying 3 years if :

the house is a new or renovated one

got all amenities, water, light, security, ventilation, privacy and good access to the outside world

but most houses in Lagos lack 1 or 2 of the things listed above, so it's good to pay 3-6 months as rent.

the government should also tackle unnecessary rent increase by landlords.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by selingel: 9:26pm On Jan 21, 2010
Whe you are talking about renting a house in Lagos, then you are in for it.

Check this out:

1. 3 Years rent.
2. Caution fee
3. Commision.
4. Agent fee.
5. Agreement.
6. Money for form collected.
7. Security fee.

Now tell me, how much are you going to pay for a 3-bedroom flat that is costing N250,000 per year?.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by Enjoyment1(f): 9:32pm On Jan 21, 2010
NEIGHBOUR:

We should ask Fashola how many low-cost houses has he built since becoming the govenor of this state?

Low-cost housing, and housing as a whole, is a very broad project, which many governments always avoid, but he has no excuse to atleast encourage private sector participation. Obviously, he has no such plans, that is why developers are running away from Lagos, because of double-taxation.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by Enjoyment1(f): 9:35pm On Jan 21, 2010
honeric01:

Paid 50k for commission and agreement just because i wanted to rent an apartment, 100k for a flat, 5-10k for useless security, yet they still come to collect close to 200 naira every month for the same security.

got all amenities, water, light, security, ventilation, privacy and good access to the outside world

but most houses in Lagos lack 1 or 2 of the things listed above, so it's good to pay 3-6 months as rent.

Do they even care about providing all these amenities? Sometimes, they will deceive tenants into paying, under the guise that their money will be used to provide them. Once the cash gets into their hands, the rest is history.

Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by Enjoyment1(f): 9:36pm On Jan 21, 2010
honeric01:

o they even care about providing all these amenities? Sometimes, they will deceive tenants into paying, under the guise that their money will be used to provide them. Once the cash gets into their hands, the rest is history.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by Enjoyment1(f): 9:38pm On Jan 21, 2010
selingel:

Whe you are talking about renting a house in Lagos, then you are in for it.

Check this out:

1. 3 Years rent.
2. Caution fee
3. Commision.
4. Agent fee.
5. Agreement.
6. Money for form collected.
7. Security fee.

Now tell me, how much are you going to pay for a 3-bedroom flat that is costing N250,000 per year?.

This is the exact thing Lagosians passes through, before they can get atleast, a decent accommodation. How many can afford this?.
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by honeric01(m): 9:41pm On Jan 21, 2010
Enjoyment1:

Low-cost housing, and housing as a whole, is a very broad project, which many governments always avoid, but he has no excuse to atleast encourage private sector participation. Obviously, he has no such plans, that is why developers are running away from Lagos, because of double-taxation.

maybe he is trying to save good lands for that cost, with the way big big men are buying lands up and down in Lagos, Lagos might end up not having enough land to build low cost houses (just guessing)
Re: Lagos Landlords: Collect More Than 3 Months Advance And Go To Jail/n100k Fine. by Tolulop001(f): 9:46pm On Jan 21, 2010
this is just going to cause a black market situation where all sorts of alternative issues are gonna come up. quite frankly i dont believe it will work
1. which tenant will want to take his landlord to court?
2. demand and supply is very much in play
3. the logistics of chasing tenants to pay their rent in this state is time consuming and it does not make sense for landlords to go thru that 4 times a year.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Contemporary 2bedroom Bungalow Architectural Design / What Do You Know About OGOMBO Village Land In Ajah....should One Buy Or Not Pls? / Costruction Of Suspended Slab(decking)at Ikosi, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.