Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,783 members, 7,962,582 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 01:03 PM

87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG (20896 Views)

51 Bag First Class In UNIOSUN / 69 Bag First Class As 6,710 Students Graduated From UNILORIN / 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by location(m): 11:11am On Jan 28, 2010
well thats great
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Wrex(m): 11:13am On Jan 28, 2010
sammy_avu:

well,congratulations to the unilag graduate,but na wa o,in my school DELSU,the highest u ca c is 2or3 first class product that is the reason am proud of Delsu. Great desuite
So what you are implying is that for a school to be termed great,the amount of first class students should be very low?Grow up my friend.Your lecturers are just sadists.So many nigerians thrive in foreign universities with very good grades.which of those schools can delsu match?
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by kalabi: 11:24am On Jan 28, 2010
DELSU! if you are comparing school compare them with those that are of the same class, DELSU is not in anyway the same class with UNILAG. You can compare DELSU with all those school with 'SU' like OSU.LASU,DELSU.ESU, and so on. Those school with the same class with UNILAG are OAU,UNILORIN,UI,UNN,UNAB,UNIPORT,UNIBEN. so know your mate
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Jarus(m): 12:01pm On Jan 28, 2010
Wrex:

[b]So what you are implying is that for a school to be termed great,the amount of first class students should be very low?[/b]Grow up my friend.Your lecturers are just sadists.So many nigerians thrive in foreign universities with very good grades.which of those schools can delsu match?
Says who? Do you know anything at all? Check out great, as in great schools in Europe and US and see the number of First Class they produce.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by nnalue: 12:06pm On Jan 28, 2010
Omolulu:

Well they've gotten it, if you no like am, una no where dia VC office dey

na because they have doo abi? ??money answereth all things! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by luvola(m): 12:37pm On Jan 28, 2010
@ kalabi - u cant compare unilag wit lasu because a 2/1 in lasu is equivalent to 1st class in unilag.done. check 2009 nigeria university web ranking and 1st 100 african uni.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by honeric01(m): 12:45pm On Jan 28, 2010
Useless degree

Of what use are these degrees when our educated elite's impact can't be seen in the country.

Nigerians with title syndrome, they are only graduates on paper, make them practice what they went to school to read, that's when you'd see that their parents has been wasting cash on them for the past 4-7 years they used in school.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by semid4lyfe(m): 1:04pm On Jan 28, 2010
luvola:

@ kalabi - u cant compare unilag wit lasu because a 2/1 in lasu is equivalent to 1st class in unilag.done. check 2009 nigeria university web ranking and 1st 100 african uni.
Jeez! This is so daft. . . Are you honestly comparing LASU to UNILAG? Anyway, any 1st class graduate from UNILAG worked very had to obtain the degree. . .This is a FACT! Do not belittle or try to run down the achievements of those who obtained the 1st class degrees.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by hoodboy(m): 1:04pm On Jan 28, 2010
A lot of you folks here are instruments of backwardness, instead of you to be celebrating the success of those who have toiled and laboured to get to where they are you question the authenticity of their rewards. And i guess that mirrors the Nigerian society at large, as is also reflected in the case of the Amodu and the Super Eagles. But I ain't letting any of you with your discouraging statements put me offtrack for the first class I'm aiming for in Uniport. Because In my first year in school I have come to realize that hard work pays as is evident my very good hundred level harvest (sooooooo many A's) why will i not be inspired to read more for my 200 level. Because before then its always been stories of how you are not graded by your efforts but I guess that is all bullspit
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by honeric01(m): 1:08pm On Jan 28, 2010
hoodboy:

A lot of you folks here are instruments of backwardness, instead of you to be celebrating the success of those who have toiled and laboured to get to where they are you question the authenticity of their rewards. And i guess that mirrors the Nigerian society at large, as is also reflected in the case of the Amodu and the Super Eagles. But I ain't letting any of you with your discouraging statements put me offtrack for the first class I'm aiming for in Uniport. Because In my first year in school I have come to realize that hard work pays as is evident my very good hundred level harvest (sooooooo many A's) why will i not be inspired to read more for my 200 level. Because before then its always been stories of how you are not graded by your efforts but I guess that is all bullspit

You never know na him cause am, wait until your result is sold to the highest bidder you hia? you can get a 1st class degree in Nigeria without stepping a foot in the university. (FACT).
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by kekere09: 1:17pm On Jan 28, 2010
wen did college of medicine start using GPA/CGPA grading system? i tot grading system in medicine universally or at least in nigeria is either PASS/FAIL,
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by folakeojo(f): 1:22pm On Jan 28, 2010
i am presently a student of oau and i can assure you it's easier for a camel to pass through a needle's eye than for oau that have that same nos of 1st class students in a year not because they don't merit it but just like someone righfully said some lecturers will never give an A in their course. We have lecturers here who will boast openly that A is for God B is for them and them rest of the grades are for students. The last time we had a large nos of 1st class students in our dept was in 2005 11 students and ever since then they have made sure that never repeated itself becuase people were quite shocked at the large nos of students. That's how it is in some schools and I don't approve so congrats to those in Unilag, whether they deserve it or not, only time will tell
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by luvola(m): 1:42pm On Jan 28, 2010
@ semid - dat wat am saying ,u cant compare a sch dat produce mass 2/1 wit lasu dat produce less 2/1 . hw can a sch like unilag produce 54 upper,42 lower ,5 1st class for a/c dept in its las+ year convocation ? is dat not madness ?
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by domire(f): 1:54pm On Jan 28, 2010
OF WHAT USE IS ALL THESE CERTIFICATES WHEN THERE IS NO JOB. WHEN I WAS IN 200 LEVEL I HAD A GIRL IN MY SCHOOL WHO WAS IN HER 400 LEVEL AND  ALREADY HAD HER ICAN( INSTITUTE OF CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS) .SHE ALSO GRADUATED WITH A FIRST CLASS TOO. BUT DO U KNW DAT AFTER 2 YEARS  OF WHICH I TOOHAD GRADUATED THOUGH WITH A 2.1, WE WENT FOR THE SAME TEST AND INTERVIEW OF WHICH I LATER GOT INFO THAT SHE WAS NOT STILL TAKEN WHILE  WAS.

NO BE CERTIFICATE WE WAN CHOP,
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by nich(m): 1:56pm On Jan 28, 2010
interesting! cheesy

dem are all welcome to the job-market or biz-market!

God bless Naija & everywhere else! wink
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by mike4livechosen: 2:03pm On Jan 28, 2010
congratulations to those who made first class in unilag
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by kalabi: 2:04pm On Jan 28, 2010
One of our problem in Nigeria is that we don;'t appreciate ourselves, i am sure that if any of the school abroad award this 1st class as that of unilag people will not criticized them, and that is our problem even in our government and our place of work, that is reason why a Nigerian company will prefer to employ an oyinbo man that will come to office and drink coffee, smoke and at the end of the day he will not do anything than to command Nigerian to do everything that he suppose to do, and at the end of the day collect his salary in dollars and a nigerian can do even better than what he is employee for.

These first class that u people are saying they don't deserve it, next time u will hear about them they are already out of this country working abroad using those brain to developed a developed country.

Yoruba has a proverb that say '' oju ko ki n ti eniyan ki o ma ka n kan mo eni yan lowo. majority are talking out of jealousy. They are just given excuses on why they are not able to get their first class.

If first class is scarce in your school, if u know u r a first class student and u know u can make it why cant get a transfer to those school that can help u to achieve your dream?

UNILAG has done the best for their student that deserve it to encourage those other student that are behind to work harder. None of unilag student will claim that first class is not possible.

so if your school is awarding 2 first class out 5000 student in a year that is your luck
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by luvola(m): 2:05pm On Jan 28, 2010
true talk
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by luvola(m): 2:13pm On Jan 28, 2010
congrat to dem ! but we need to knw d reason y unilag continue to produce more 1st class dan any other sch in nig, sometin is wrong somewhere
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Wrex(m): 2:36pm On Jan 28, 2010
Jarus:

Says who? Do you know anything at all? Check out great, as in great schools in Europe and US and see the number of First Class they produce.
You are really ignorant my friend.Go and check,Nigerians always come out tops in foreign universities.Your lecturers are just sadists.Don't even compare delsu with unilag, you are just an empty barrel
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by KnowAll(m): 2:44pm On Jan 28, 2010
Lagos being the cyber capital of Nigeria, one is not surprise that 87 graduates bagged first class.  But I still think they can do better, a stroke on a keyboard can unravel the most difficult questions in any field. I am surprised that there were only 87 first class students, when the contrary should be the norm now, in fact we should be having about 500 first class students, 1, 500 2nd class upper,  and maybe 87-2nd class lowers.

Anybody with 3rd class in this day and age with the amount of materials in the public domain should be flogged publicly.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by klovesh: 2:53pm On Jan 28, 2010
I don't see why having 87 first class graduates will create a fuss. The first question we should ask is about the total number of people that graduated and the number of deparments involved
I went to OAU, and the stuff about having two first class graduates is a kind of misinformation. The concerned convocation was only for a handful of people. Normally, many first class graduates are produced every session with a large percentage of them from engineering. My class alone produced five and some produced more. I can say that all got it on merit. In fact, I have see that it is easier to have a first class in engineering than any other field because it is based mainly on calculations. It is either you are right or wrong. The same happens even in foreign institutions.
If 87 people have worked for and gotten a first class, for me, there is no big deal. As long as they possess the stuff, they will do well after school.
For schools that abhor first class, a logical explanation is that either the students are not good enough or the lecturers have failed in delivering their responsibilities or are probably feeling insecure themselves. One should not be proud that his/her university does that.
I congratulate those that got it. Though it is not all they need, it will definitely open some doors for them.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by donchelsea: 3:02pm On Jan 28, 2010
Kudos to all Akokites, Greatest newest graduands, I congratulate all of you. You did exceptionally well. More grease to your elbows!
Though, it's not easy but you made. Welcome to the real world.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Omolulu(m): 3:53pm On Jan 28, 2010
Theboyisgud:

If those students re 2 be UNN students,i don't think they can even make 3rd class, In other words a UNN graduate is ahead of u naturally.
you are naturally the biggest [b]fool [/b]that has commented so far!!!
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Omolulu(m): 3:55pm On Jan 28, 2010
luvola:

congrat to dem ! but we need to knw d reason y unilag continue to produce more 1st class dan any other sch in nig, sometin is wrong somewhere
are you saying they dont deserve the 1st class or all 87 of dem paid their way thru, what is wrong in having 87 1st class if they all merit it
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by kalabi: 3:55pm On Jan 28, 2010
what make u think that they can not get first class in UNN? Have sat for UNILAG exam before? so that u can compare the standard.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by MsTom(f): 3:56pm On Jan 28, 2010
[quote Whats the big deal?  When I finished from OAU some years back, there were 6 First class students in just my class alone! And they were all worth it.  Even most of the folks who made 2:1 would have made distinctions outside the shores of this country!

To give you an idea of what happened to the 6 of them after OAU?

1- Msc UCL (London) -now  a Manager in MTN
2- MBA- University of Chicago - Now a Senior Consultant with McKinsey
3- Msc-Houston, MBA- Rice University- Senior Advisor with Chevron
4- Msc- Case Western-Ohio- Senior Consultant with Africa Finance Corporation
5- Msc- UCL - Engineer with NNPC
6- Msc- Texas A&M, MBA-UT,  Senior Engineer at National Instruments

Never underrate First Class students from 1st generation Nigerian Universities!

It just requires consistent performance throughout . If you invest effort in it, you will get it![quote][/quote]

Even a third class from a last generation university in nigeria can have their masters outside of nigeria and can
graduate summa cum laude. In nigeria, we are forced to study with candle lights,
no materials, no internet, lecturers go on indefinite strikes etc. and yet we graduate. Imagine going to other countries
with all the resources and same efforts or sometimes less as the one put in nigeria.

Nigerian educational system is way tougher and better than all others but unfortunately, we
are faced with lack of basic infrstructures. Nigerians are naturally brilliant and can exhibit their wealth
if given the opportunity.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by Omolulu(m): 4:01pm On Jan 28, 2010
kalabi link=topic=388073.msg5403492#msg5403492 dg thaate=1264690556:

what make u think that they can not get first class in UNN? Have sat for UNILAG exam before? so that u can compare the standard.
help me ask am o, i am sure he's a UNN student and he's proudly disgracing that school
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by kalabi: 4:06pm On Jan 28, 2010
@Mstom

God bless u for your comment.

Nigeria are blessed with people with best brain. Let this people just leave the sore of this country and go to foreign company to do thier master i bet it the oyinbo people will not want them to come back to Nigeria by the time they see their performance.

"Prophet has no honor in his own house"

Among this people we have one of them from Distance Learning Institute, the Unilag part time, the person is a working class , he was combing going to work with study, u can imaging if such person has all the time devoted for study.

Nigerian until we change our orientation toward ourselves and value what we have, this country will never move forward.
Re: 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG by folugbemi: 4:43pm On Jan 28, 2010
Are we saying to sucessfuly graduate with nice grade has become a pride. I finished from OAU-IFE. The so call graduant MERIT it and that's why they have it. Afterall it wasn't based on discression. Its based on hardwork God's grace.

Foluo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Basics Of Biology Drawings / Top-up My Hnd To A Bsc In One Year / Unbelievable: NANS ''honours'' Buruji Kashamu (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.