Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,119 members, 7,936,480 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 02:13 PM

Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms (44493 Views)

20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know / ‘Same’ Things That Most People Don’t Know Are Actually Different / English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Chibabi(m): 8:44pm On Jul 01, 2017
Limited/Delimited
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 01, 2017
waoh! very educative...thanks Op

1 Like

Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Mendelssohn(m): 8:46pm On Jul 01, 2017
ebukahandsome:
Make sence

Does that mean *sence* and sense also mean same thing?

2 Likes

Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by pinkpant: 8:47pm On Jul 01, 2017
Famous and Infamous

2 Likes

Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by SycophanticGoat: 8:50pm On Jul 01, 2017
English sha! Very annoying language!
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by pressplay411(m): 8:51pm On Jul 01, 2017
VargasVee:
English is not a fixed language so with time, words tend to come in more often and become acceptable.
These words are commonly called pseudoatonmys

1. FLAMMABLE/INFLAMMABLE

Looking at the above words, first thing that comes to the mind is, one catches fire and the other doesn't. Actually they mean the same thing.

2. BAR/DEBAR

Bar being the act of prohibition, funny enough debar also means the same thing.

3. REGARDLESS/IRREGARDLESS

Regardless, prevailing against odds and circumstances. Irregardless is likely originated from a combination of 'irrespective' and 'regardless' and thus became accepted.

4. HABITABLE/INHABITABLE

Habitable simple implies Suitable to live in. You would think inhabitable was any different, but it means the same thing.

5. GENIUS/INGENIOUS

Everyone has probably heard of genius. Clever, inventive person, and exceptional intellect. Ingenious also implies the same thing.

6. TERMINATE/EXTERMINATE

To terminate, the act of bringing to an end of something. Your guess would be with the prefix of 'ex' there would be difference but it does almost mean the same thing.

7. RESTIVE/RESTLESS

Your first opinion of restive would be in a state of rest, but restive actually means being unable to stay silent or still, thereby restlessness.

8. VALUABLE/INVALUABLE

Valuable means of great worth. Invaluable also means the same thing, being useful and indispensable.

Have a swell day everyone grin grin

Your post o Chana.
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by francotunsco: 8:52pm On Jul 01, 2017
ebukahandsome:
Make sence
Make sense.
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by steve6: 8:52pm On Jul 01, 2017
Nice.
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by dstar01(m): 8:53pm On Jul 01, 2017
VargasVee:
English is not a fixed language so with time, words tend to come in more often and become acceptable.

1. FLAMMABLE/INFLAMMABLE

Looking at the above words, first thing that comes to the mind is, one catches fire and the other doesn't. Actually they mean the same thing.

2. BAR/DEBAR

Regardless, prevailing against odds and circumstances. Irregardless is likely originated from a combination of 'irrespective' and 'regardless' and thus became accepted.

4. HABITABLE/INHABITABLE

Habitable simple implies Suitable to live in. You would think inhabitable was any different, but it means the same thing.

5. GENIUS/INGENIOUS

Everyone has probably heard of genius. Clever, inventive person, and exceptional intellect. Ingenious also implies the same thing.

6. TERMINATE/EXTERMINATE

To terminate, the act of bringing to an end of something. Your guess would be with the prefix of 'ex' there would be difference but it does almost mean the same thing.

7. RESTIVE/RESTLESS

Your first opinion of restive would be in a state of rest, but restive actually means being unable to stay silent or still, thereby restlessness.

8. VALUABLE/INVALUABLE

Valuable means of great worth. Invaluable also means the same thing, being useful and indispensable.

2nd most sensible post of the day... Thanks Op
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by soath(m): 8:58pm On Jul 01, 2017
Thank you.
OP, abeg help me manage this.
Make I go get you cold SPRITE grin

3 Likes

Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by malware: 9:08pm On Jul 01, 2017
ebukahandsome:
Make sence

Make what?? ?
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by timilehin007(m): 9:11pm On Jul 01, 2017
marveangel:
Great post.... I recall arguing with my class teacher about that number 1 way back in primary school
You can lie for the whole continent...continental lie
Jeso krèsté
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Kojiek: 9:11pm On Jul 01, 2017
[quote author=Papiikush post=58011529][color=#000099][i][b][font=serif][size=10pt]Nice one bro.
Another on you should add

BUHARI/YARADUA Both seem different but they have lot of similarities. They were both sick while ruling Nigeria.
Guy na wa 4 u o!
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by GoodMuyis(m): 9:13pm On Jul 01, 2017
Nbote:
Oyibo no go agree say na some of d mistakes dey made on their language

Seriously they wont agree. for example

Call me Seu.n (Implies call seu.n for me)
Call me Seu.n (Implies My name is seu.n, so call me that)

That three word will confuse a kid

3 Likes

Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by edeXede: 9:15pm On Jul 01, 2017

Badoo, Baddo
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Tongsman(m): 9:27pm On Jul 01, 2017
Nice 1 at OP.

1 Like

Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by NobleAngell(f): 9:30pm On Jul 01, 2017
Wow

1 Like

Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by KosiEric(f): 9:33pm On Jul 01, 2017
ebukahandsome:
Make sence

Look at you, you can't even spell "sens" grin grin
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by engrhorla(m): 9:35pm On Jul 01, 2017
ebukahandsome:
Make sence

Sense
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by lonikit: 9:39pm On Jul 01, 2017
pinkpant:
Famous and Infamous

dapada jor, we are not chuldrel. don't come and giv us bobo here.

famous and infamous are not synonymous
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Jabioro: 9:43pm On Jul 01, 2017
OP please take one bottle of big stout from mama Ruka on my behalf.. your nearest local bar..I have credit facility with her ..you have done a good work..
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by lereinter(m): 9:46pm On Jul 01, 2017
Papiikush:
Nice one bro.

BUHARI/YARADUA Both seem different but they have lot of similarities. They were both sick while ruling Nigeria.

psycopath general de NL
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by davodyguy: 9:47pm On Jul 01, 2017
Void and devoid
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by lonikit: 9:49pm On Jul 01, 2017
VargasVee:

1. FLAMMABLE/INFLAMMABLE

2. BAR/DEBAR

4. HABITABLE/INHABITABLE

5. GENIUS/INGENIOUS

6. TERMINATE/EXTERMINATE

7. RESTIVE/RESTLESS

8. VALUABLE/INVALUABLE

op, valuable and invaluable are not synonymous jor. its like saying estimable and inestimable, or countable and uncountable are synonymous.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Brillantman: 9:59pm On Jul 01, 2017
Yea, both are skinny and from Katrina State
Papiikush:
Nice one bro.

Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by carlkenny: 10:05pm On Jul 01, 2017
Irregardless ain't no word
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Marvel1206: 10:10pm On Jul 01, 2017
oyinlola007:
Another day at my office
Wtf grin crazy fella
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by jc4real(m): 10:14pm On Jul 01, 2017
swissj619:
It's an eye opener!

shocked like d one for opening beer or d one for eye is different...waiting for reply.

2 Likes

Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by chimeziedickson: 10:18pm On Jul 01, 2017
Nice one........Added to d ones i know already
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jul 01, 2017
Brillantman:
Yea, both are skinny and from Katrina State
boss should I drop my Whatsapp contact? wanna discuss business with u
Re: Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms by eunisam: 10:25pm On Jul 01, 2017
look

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ifeoma Amuche Gives Her Speech In Chinese As Best Student In China University / Video Of Female Student Fighting Naked That Has Surfaced Online / Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.