Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,181 members, 7,963,878 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 09:20 PM

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (80) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) (66287 Views)

Poll: Should Wenger Go After Yet Another Failed Season??

Yes: 44% (13 votes)
No: 55% (16 votes)
This poll has ended

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only. In Wenger We Trust! / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by edoyad(m): 8:20pm On Apr 17, 2010
edoyad:

COYG !
undecided Don't know but i've got this strange feeling we might end up with the same points with the Chavos, how do we erase the goals deficit ?

pool should complete the job but it's that deficit.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by debosky(m): 9:17pm On Apr 17, 2010
See gooners talking like we've beaten Wigan already - another shoddy performance like the one on Wednesday and we'll come back from the JJB finally out of the race.

Spurs cannot beat Arsenal, Chelski and Utd in a row - the best we can hope for from that game is a draw.
Once lucky probably, twice lucky maybe, thrice lucky is plain ridiculous.

Then again, we need others to do our work for us, when doing our business would've solved the problem for us once and for all. undecided

Unfortunately, Chelski losing will give Wenger more excuses to make regarding why we failed against Spurs.

I just hope it doesn't take a complete disaster of a season for the likes of Duduspace to see the light.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 9:45pm On Apr 17, 2010
debosky:

Unfortunately, Chelski losing will give Wenger more excuses to make regarding why we failed against Spurs.

I just hope it doesn't take a complete disaster of a season for the likes of Duduspace to see the light.

Deboooo, yu need to get a grip man, the true position of Arsenal should be clear to you by now. There would have been less stress for all if someone had come out to tell everyone that we were moving into uncharted territory when we decided to build a stadium, but the truth is that no one will come out to say that.

If you look deep into what we are trying to achieve (and I say we because I buy in totally into the club's principles), it was never going to be easy to pull off. Our ability to stay competitive in the interim has served as a double edged sword because people deal more in absolutes than relatives (unfortunately the world works more in terms of relatives) and that is why you can compare Arsenal with the likes of Tottenham (who are unable to compete at the level we do but pick up the odd trophy) as well as compare us with the likes of RM, Barcelona, Chelsea who are able to sweep all and sundry before them on any given day simply because of the financial advantage they enjoy or in the case of Barca (who actually enjoy the best of both worlds) because of the talent their academy and youth system produces.

We are very unique in this regards, would it surprise you at all if I tell you that Spurs have actually spent more than us in the past 5 years in transfer fees? possibly even Villa have, the only area we have spent more than those clubs is our overall wage bill.
One of the positives is that we are well set for the future (still speaking relatively) even if Arsene were to leave, the negatives is that so far we are neither here nor there.

Yes, with a little more luck and less commitment to our youth development principles, we could have picked up the odd trophy (the Carling cup match against Chelsea in particular) but even this wasn't guaranteed, and in the process we wouldn't reap some of the benefits of exposing our younger talents early. We strive for balance but are yet to reach it but I do believe we will get there, this season has been very encouraging in that regards.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by debosky(m): 9:58pm On Apr 17, 2010
duduspace:

Deboooo, yu need to get a grip man,  the true position of Arsenal should be clear to you by now. There would have been less stress for all if someone had come out to tell everyone that we were moving into uncharted territory when we decided to build a stadium, but the truth is that no one will come out to say that.

Rubbish - is moving to a new stadium stopping Wenger to realise that Almunia is not good enough for the club? 

Is moving to a new stadium the reason we'd accept a Utd reject like Silvestre instead of looking elsewhere for a QUALITY back up?

What kind of excuses are these? BEFORE we left Highbury - we STRUGGLED to make 4th so don't make this about simply change of stadium - this decline started long before we left Highbury.

If you look deep into what we are trying to achieve (and I say we because I buy in totally into the club's principles), it was never going to be easy to pull off. Our ability to stay competitive in the interim has served as a double edged sword because people deal more in absolutes than relatives (unfortunately the world works more in terms of relatives) and that is why you can compare Arsenal with the likes of Tottenham (who are unable to compete at the level we do but pick up the odd trophy) as well as compare us with the likes of RM, Barcelona, Chelsea who are able to sweep all and sundry before them on any given day simply because of the financial advantage they enjoy or in the case of Barca (who actually enjoy the best of both worlds) because of the talent their academy and youth system produces.

The club's philosophy is flawed - you CANNOT attract the level of support you need based on 'principles' you need TROPHIES. I don't know how else I can make you understand that, but that is the crux of the matter - we will not make more revenue without trophies. SIMPLE. You just don't get it. Financial analysis may satisfy you - but it will not bring the revenues we need - the shirt sales, the endorsements from top brands as a winning club, the perks of being champions - without those things, we will stagnate.

We are very unique in this regards, would it surprise you at all if I tell you that Spurs have actually spent more than us in the past 5 years in transfer fees? possibly even Villa have, the only area we have spent more than those clubs is our overall wage bill.
One of the positives is that we are well set for the future (still speaking relatively) even if Arsene were to leave, the negatives is that so far we are neither here nor there.

Most of the players we have would leave if Arsene leaves because he has built a personality cult bigger than even Mourinhos. Without trophies, there is nothing for them to stay behind for if Wenger goes.

Yes, with a little more luck and less commitment to our youth development principles, we could have picked up the odd trophy (the Carling cup match against Chelsea in particular) but even this wasn't guaranteed, and in the process we wouldn't reap some of the benefits of exposing our younger talents early. We strive for balance but are yet to reach it but I do believe we will get there, this season has been very encouraging in that regards.

If we picked ONE trophy, we would've bought at least 2 YEARS to gradually build up, but since we have NONE, the count back continues to 2005 - one trophy, even the FA cup (possibility if we played AA23 in the 2009 semis) would've erased all of this nonsense. But then again, you just don't get it.

We are nowhere closer to any balance - instead of getting experienced professionals at their peak, we've gone for the cheap option - getting washed up pros on the cheap and hoping they'll have a little quality left to carry us over the line.

Arsenal's transfer performance since 2008's summer has been a DISGRACE - in close to two years, the only players of value we've introduced are Arshavin and Vermaelen, everything else has been CRAP or selling the good ones we had without adequate replacements.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by A40(m): 10:06pm On Apr 17, 2010
Chai a Chelsea loss and i can't even ask How Market? E dey pain me like Stereoman.

@Duduspace
We would fall short if we don't get a legit goalie and work on our defensive frailties. This has been part and parcel of our trophyless streak and not just Wenger's inconsistent policies per se

1. A lack of sugar daddies is not an excuse for our penchant of folding under pressure

2. Spending does not guarantee nada but we can't keep refusing to plug obvious holes and hope for the best

3. You see progress but i don't what i see is sequences of stop and go's and the last 5 seasons say so

A trophyless team needs something to hold on to before prioritizing! Dem no dey sell winning mentality for market. Since CC is the least important why not win that first then move to bigger trophies. Or have you seen someone convocate before the matriculate?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by kaypumpin2(m): 10:20pm On Apr 17, 2010
Plus if Man City qualifies for UCL,we will be in for a great battle next season.Apparently Chelsea and Man U will re-enforce,but we are the only club who places our mechanism on "same mode" and expects to get a different result.

For what it's worth,Wenger is not a great tactician,just a coach who used to know the right blend of players and if he is not getting that right at the moment,there is a big problem.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by debosky(m): 10:22pm On Apr 17, 2010
kay_pumpin:

Plus if Man City qualifies for UCL,we will be in for a great battle next season.Apparently Chelsea and Man U will re-enforce,but we are the only club who places our mechanism on "same mode" and expects to get a different result.

For what it's worth,Wenger is not a great tactician,just a coach who used to know the right blend of players and if he is not getting that right at the moment,there is a big problem.

Don't worry - we will simply 'improve' and defeat all comers and dominate like 03/04 as Dudu said. undecided
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by kaypumpin2(m): 10:36pm On Apr 17, 2010
Dudu is an incorrigible optimist.I can not fault his passion but he seems to be so solely focused on AFC he is somewhat blind to the improvement of other teams in the EPL.

What this team needs are WINNERS.Not players whose heads drop at every mountaneous challenge.You don't buy learn winning mentaity.You earn it.

Look at the Man U team player for player and tell me what world class players are there or what edge they have agaisnt us man for man.But a player like Gibson who have seen older players win it will bay for blood to have the same feeling.Who amongst the current players in Arsenal can induct the rest with such passion?

You know a winner when you see one.That's why the energy Sol puts into celebrating a goal is more than the total energy output of Almunia for the entire season. grin tongue
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by eldee(m): 10:48pm On Apr 17, 2010
kay_pumpin:

Dudu is an incorrigible optimist.I can not fault his passion but he seems to be so solely focused on AFC he is somewhat blind to the improvement of other teams in the EPL.

What this team needs are WINNERS.Not players whose heads drop at every mountaneous challenge.You don't buy learn winning mentaity.You earn it.

Look at the Man U team player for player and tell me what world class players are there or what edge they have agaisnt us man for man.But a player like Gibson who have seen older players win it will bay for blood to have the same feeling.Who amongst the current players in Arsenal can induct the rest with such passion?

You know a winner when you see one.That's why the energy Sol puts into celebrating a goal is more than the total energy output of Almunia for the entire season. grin tongue

It's not even about their improvement or lack of it . . . it's about their level.
Man Utd and Chelsea are in a level that makes you question if there's still a Big Four.

To think they're having a bad season. . . and this is Arsenal's second best season since 2005.
When last did we stay in the EPL race this long?? It's distant past.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by kaypumpin2(m): 11:01pm On Apr 17, 2010
eldee:

It's not even about their improvement or lack of it . . . it's about their level.
Man Utd and Chelsea are in a level that makes you question if there's still a Big Four.

To think they're having a bad season. . . and this is Arsenal's second best season since 2005.
I am not even referring to the BIG 2 that has that certain je ne sais quoi about them,i am talking about those that are supposed to be outside the big 4(the Citys and Spurs of this world).
Everyone and his dog knows Man City will continue with their spending and will be a threat next season and that is putting it mildly.Their present players will have better time gelling too.Tottenham will spend and the core of their players are young too.How old is Dawson,Huddlestone,Defoe,Bale et al?

It is why i said Dudu is too focused on Arsenal and not looking at the bigger picture.Yes it is not all gloom and doom but to look at the strings that needs to be pulled to take us to the next level seems to run foul of Wenger's doctrine.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by eldee(m): 11:10pm On Apr 17, 2010
kay_pumpin:

I am not even referring to the BIG 2 that has that certain je ne sais quoi about them,i am talking about those that are supposed to be outside the big 4(the Citys and Spurs of this world).
Everyone and his dog knows Man City will continue with their spending and will be a threat next season and that is putting it mildly.Their present players will have better time gelling too.Tottenham will spend and the core of their players are young too.How old is Dawson,Huddlestone,Defoe,Bale et al?

It is why i said Dudu is too focused on Arsenal and not looking at the bigger picture.Yes it is not all gloom and doom but to look at the strings that needs to be pulled to take us to the next level seems to run foul of Wenger's doctrine.

I know . . . everyone knows Man City is not the same club Henry and Pires were doing the 1-2 penalty against.
Aston Villa, Tottenham, Man City and underperforming Everton are now big teams in their own right.
They're beginning to see UEFA Cup as a failure . . . Liverpool will prolly get sold to another super-rich guy.

I'm not sure today's EPL is the right place to do the youth thing when everything else is against you. . . bigger spending opponents, the 90 minute rule, the ever-waiting vultures with better trophy chances and accounts getting ready to tempt your breakthrough stars , everything is against this youth policy.
It's not as easy as it would have been in the 90s when the the record transfer fee was 12 mil or sumn.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by debosky(m): 11:31pm On Apr 17, 2010
eldee:

According to Dudu - because Utd have had a bad season, they might have another bad one next season, and because Chelski is old, they will also get worse, which opens up the ground for Arsenal to stroll in and dominate - of course based on our endlessly improving youth who are so good that the only time they have looked good is when the others have been rubbish.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by debosky(m): 11:39pm On Apr 17, 2010
Maybe I've gone off the edge a bit, and I apologise to Dudu if I got out of line.

To be fair to him, he' indicated we need a striker, a CB and a goalkeeper, so he's not saying the squad is there.

HOWEVER - his unshaken faith in Arsene is what worries me - since 2008, we've had MINIMAL movement in the transfer windows, only signing one player each time and Arshavin came as a result of a Cesc emergency that could take away 4th place.

It appears Wenger is simply content to be 3rd/4th and somehow HOPE the team manage to rise beyond their obvious limitations by keeping them around together longer. He fails to make the transfers needed, claiming he has enough quality when he doesn't. His focus on doing things his own way, through players he's blended instead of bringing in what is necessary to supplement his good work - that is my grouse.

He appears to be content with us into a club that remains close to the top but never able to truly challenge for the big prize (except in years the rivals go into semi meltdown). That is simply not acceptable - not for the richest (club value), biggest (fan base, stadium) and most successful London club.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by kaypumpin2(m): 11:41pm On Apr 17, 2010
Watching Sexiest on E! and Zizou is 22nd on the list amongst sexiest men of sport. grin Like what?Zizou and sexy in one statement? grin

Debo abeg let Dudu be,next season is almost here and i pray his hopes comes into reality for the good of both of us and the club.Something inside of me sees otherwise though as reality on the ground is Wenger sees things diferrently.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by DrKitaun(m): 12:11am On Apr 18, 2010
I thank God for the life of DOBOSKY for making him see d light, and to my padis that saw d light earlier: A4O, KAY-PUMPKIN, may God increase ur wisdom!

I feel vindicated now after these seasons of abject IMPOTENCIA.

I rest my case.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by eldee(m): 12:19am On Apr 18, 2010
debosky:

According to Dudu - because Utd have had a bad season, they might have another bad one next season, and because Chelski is old, they will also get worse, which opens up the ground for Arsenal to stroll in and dominate - of course based on our endlessly improving youth who are so good that the only time they have looked good is when the others have been rubbish.

Are we seriously going to base our plans for next season on a United blip??
So we're going to put Fletcher and Carrick as CBs in mind when we plan for next season??
Or am I the only one seeing two/three stars going to Chelsea??

Let's even look at this future we were promised back then . . .Mannone, Eboue,  Senderos, Djourou, Clichy, Diaby, Flamini, Fabregas, Walcott, Van Persie, Adebayor, Larsson, Conolly,  Bendtner, Lupoli, Hoyte, Owusu-Abeyie, Aliadiere.

That's the future team Wenger sold to us in 2005. . . ka ma puro ka ma jale, how many of them have reached the level we expected and are still at the club??
Now that future 11 had five years to win sumn for us . . . ZILCH.
Now I'm being told to wait for Fabianski, Gibbs, Djourou, Traore, Gavin Hoyte, Ramsey, Merida, Wilshere, Frimpong, Watt and Sunu??

Erm . . . and till then we'll keep winning awards for Second Most Entertaining team, Best Ladies Team, Most Promising Youth Structure, Best Stadium, Best Cooks in Stadium . . . Best Website, Finest Chics in Stadium grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by Krayola(m): 12:25am On Apr 18, 2010
This is a kodak moment.

Thank God for grantin u this moment of clarity
This moment of honesty
The world'll feel your truths
Through your Hard Knock Life time
trpohies then the rot
AW gave you volume after volume of his work
but he ain't got dat juice
He built the Dynasty by being one of the cheapest niggas out
Waaaay beyond a Reasonable Doubt  grin
(Like He got sumn to prove)
From the Highbury beginnings
To that Asburton endin
Please just one trophy, so u go fit get mouth
Then we go feel your truths

Jay Z.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by presido1: 12:55am On Apr 18, 2010
I thank God for keeping me alive to see read this day. Gayners have seen the light. Please God keep me alive to see read the day Dudu will come back to his senses. I pray dee oh Lord.

Does it mean you guys don't trust in AW anymore? i can see the thread tittle changed to "In Arsenal Una Trust". It will be inhuman for you guys to reject AW after what he has done for the club.

Keep the faith, Arsenal time is coming but when is what i don't know.

Interesting news for the gayners
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2936139/Manuel-Almunia-has-his-Arsenal-future-thrown-into-doubt.html
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by dayokanu(m): 1:29am On Apr 18, 2010
I thank God for the life of DOBOSKY for making him see d light, and to my padis that saw d light earlier: A4O, KAY-PUMPKIN, may God increase your wisdom!

I feel vindicated now after these seasons of abject IMPOTENCIA.

I rest my case.

I am still not convinced this is Debo Posting
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 1:34am On Apr 18, 2010
debosky:

Maybe I've gone off the edge a bit, and I apologise to Dudu if I got out of line.

To be fair to him, he' indicated we need a striker, a CB and a goalkeeper, so he's not saying the squad is there.

HOWEVER - his unshaken faith in Arsene is what worries me - since 2008, we've had MINIMAL movement in the transfer windows, only signing one player each time and Arshavin came as a result of a Cesc emergency that could take away 4th place.

It appears Wenger is simply content to be 3rd/4th and somehow HOPE the team manage to rise beyond their obvious limitations by keeping them around together longer. He fails to make the transfers needed, claiming he has enough quality when he doesn't. His focus on doing things his own way, through players he's blended instead of bringing in what is necessary to supplement his good work - that is my grouse.

He appears to be content with us into a club that remains close to the top but never able to truly challenge for the big prize (except in years the rivals go into semi meltdown). That is simply not acceptable - not for the richest (club value), biggest (fan base, stadium) and most successful London club.

You do Arsene a disservice here, he has always come out to say he knew the constraints under which he would be before taking the job. We have not bought more that one player each season because there has been no money to buy more than one, also because we've gone for a youth policy there was need to pay competitive salaries and tie young promising players to long term contracts.

I did an analysis with my brother earlier today about what Arsene needs to buy during the window (he strongly believes we need an MF like Melo along with a CB, GK and striker) now we started attaching costs to these requirements to get players of a calibre better than or at the same level with what we have.

GK (8m to 12m)
CB (10m to 15m)
Striker (Good news we're likely getting Chamakh on a free but if we need to buy, about 15m to 20m)
MF (10m to 15m)

Giving a gross outlay of (43m to 62m) in terms of tranfer fees alone without considering the wages, now I pointed out that I couldn't remember the last time Arsene spent over 25m in a single transfer window. Not because he doesn't want to spend but because the funds are simply not available (even the rumored 45m transfer kitty might not really get us what we need).

IMO, we will once again need to prioritise and we'll most likely be getting a top class CB and possibly a GK (depending on what funds really are available), getting Chamakh would be a very favourable deal for us and we can promote within to fill the other gaps. The critical thing we need to do is to hold on to our core first teamers like Cesc (so we don't regress like happened in 07/08), we are in better position to do this because unlike in 07/08, we now have nearly all our youngsters tied to long term contracts (an initiative some of you have actually condemned in the past) and we are also doing well financially.

Since the dispersal of the Invincibles, its really been about waiting for this team to grow while trying to plug the more obvious problems at the cheapest costs possible, its the reality of the Arsenal that I've come to and one I've made my peace with as the alternatives don't look any better to me. No Oil sheikh has come to buy us (and I don't want any to) and the thought of debts is also not attractive.

Besides a reality check about finances seems to be hitting everyone generally these days, you only need take a look at Manure's recent purchases spending between 6m to 10m to get a player your much maligned Vela has outperformed at every level up till now within the national mexican setup and less than 4m to buy the likes of Diouf and Obertan in their early 20s, you would agree with me this is bargain buying compared to 25m and 12m they payed for the likes of Rooney and CR9 at younger ages. Seems like City are the only ones with limitless pockets these days.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 2:45am On Apr 18, 2010
From the Arsenal site, this is has good as saying that he has already signed, classy club that we are, don't want to disrespect Bordeaux.

[Quote]
Wenger - Chamakh has a good chance to join us

Arsène Wenger has admitted that there is "a good chance" Marouane Chamakh will start next season as an Arsenal player.

The Bordeaux striker has netted 15 times for his current club this season, including five goals in the Champions League. He has been heavily linked with a move to Arsenal since last summer and with his current contract drawing to an end, he will be available on a free transfer in June.

Chamakh has reportedly confirmed that Emirates Stadium is his first-choice destination and Wenger admits there is a good chance the Moroccan will move to Arsenal.

"We will announce the deals after the league [finishes]," he said.

"He is one of the players who has a good chance to join us."
[/quote]
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 2:51am On Apr 18, 2010
@Debo
Here is what I've always said confirmed from Le Prof's mouth, now let someone come prove this is untrue.

[Quote]
Wenger - We have money to overtake Chelsea
Arsène Wenger believes Arsenal have the financial muscle to overtake Chelsea next season.

The Frenchman knows that the Stamford Bridge side are always capable of outbidding him for new players. But the Arsenal manager argues there is enough talent around to add to his squad this summer and, crucially, he has the funds to go and buy them.

The two clubs have had contrasting weeks. Chelsea tightened their grip on the Premier League trophy with a 1-0 win over Bolton while Arsenal's challenge faltered after they lost 2-1 at Tottenham.

Attention has now turned to how the Emirates Stadium side can bridge the divide. Speaking at Friday's press conference. Wenger was in bullish mood.

"I think we can overcome [Chelsea]," he said. "For a while we were not investing maybe because we had built the stadium but I think our financial situation is now becoming much stronger and we will be capable to buy the players we need to buy."

"No we cannot [compete] on wages with Chelsea. That is simple. I believe what is not normal is not our wage bill but their wage bill because that should not be allowed.

"However they cannot all go to Chelsea, it is as simple as that. There are top players outside of the ones Chelsea want to buy who are good enough for us."
[/quote]
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by eldee(m): 2:57am On Apr 18, 2010
@duduspace

Wenger is a degree holder . . . he speaks like a poet.
Leaving the most important thing at the end

'However they cannot all go to Chelsea, it is as simple as that. There are top players outside of the ones Chelsea want to buy who are good enough for us."

Here's Wenger telling us that we will still play second fiddle to Chelsea in the transfer market. We will buy Chelsea rejects and we will not do anything about our wage bill.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by v3: 7:34am On Apr 18, 2010
Those toddlers had berra win 2day.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by Vieira(m): 9:58am On Apr 18, 2010
Facts:

We never be able to match Man City and Chelsea on money to spend on players.

Wenger is really the best match for a club like Arsenal at this point in time

Wenger has made some basic errors.

He should have bought Shay Given

He should not have waited till the last day of Jan to put a bid in for Sorensen

He should have bought Hangeland

After losing Van P and realising that Eduardo has lost it, maybe he should have paid 5m for Chamkh instead of trying for a freebie.

He should also sell a few of the injury prone players and buy more stable ones. My choice would be Rosicky, Theo and maybe Diaby

The problem is Wenger is actually a gambler and also very stubborn.

But I honestly cannot see any other manager doing better within the finances of Arsenal.

He is also a victim of his own success and hence fans now want more but due to my age I remember much worse years and maybe that is why I have a bit more patience with Wenger.

In the end everyone on this forum has different opinions and we are all guessing and no one is right or wrong.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by edoyad(m): 10:15am On Apr 18, 2010
[Quote]He is also a victim of his own
success and hence fans now
want more but due to my age I
remember much worse years
and maybe that is why I have a
bit more patience with Wenger.[/Quote]

grin Chai ! This is cruel, so it's not Wenger's fault we've never won the Champions league or won more than two premiership titles in a decade since the 30s abi ? grin .
Ok let's be grateful for our Lord Weng Liu Cheng
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by edoyad(m): 10:17am On Apr 18, 2010
[Quote]He is also a victim of his own
success and hence fans now
want more but due to my age I
remember much worse years
and maybe that is why I have a
bit more patience with Wenger.[/Quote]

grin Chai ! This is cruel, so it's not Wenger's fault we've never won the Champions league or won more than two premiership titles in a decade since the 30s abi ? grin .
Ok let's be grateful for our Lord Weng Liu Cheng
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by debosky(m): 12:32pm On Apr 18, 2010
Well said Vieira - instead of glossing over the patently OBVIOUS errors of Wenger and passing it on as some form of genius, I'd appreciate if Dudu admitted the manager's flaws instead of excusing everything away on the false alter of 'we can't spend'.

@ dudu

If we can compete with Chelski, the proof of the pudding will be seen this summer - if we can buy the players we need I will shut up. If we fail to, I will continue to blame Wenger. The financial situation is NOW BETTER - I hope you read that too. Failure to spend CANNOT be an excuse any more.

Some of his excuses are unbelievable - we miss players we should get and he claims there are no players good enough than the ones we have, despite seeing the rubbish some of them do on the pitch he tells us these stories. undecided

I tell you once again - there is NO REASON to sell Ade and Kolo, make 40m and KEEP the money - that is foolishness because you are sacrificing income you could make from going further in the cups and finishing higher in the league, and the extra supporteres you'd get.

We DON"T need 43m outlay for anything - Given didn't cost 8m, Wenger screwed that up. You need to realise that BAD decision making cost us above all. If Wenger really wanted Chamakh, we could've gotten him for around 8m in the summer. The fact is, very poor transfer market dealings is the biggest impediment to this side.

The same Wenger that could buy Adebayor and Walcott in ONE JANUARY cannot afford to buy a striker this time around in January? Spare me the BS please - Wenger screwed up and there is no debating that. He has done ok generally, but that is not sufficient for a club of this stature.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 1:32pm On Apr 18, 2010
eldee:

@duduspace

Wenger is a degree holder . . . he speaks like a poet.
Leaving the most important thing at the end

'However they cannot all go to Chelsea, it is as simple as that. There are top players outside of the ones Chelsea want to buy who are good enough for us."

Here's Wenger telling us that we will still play second fiddle to Chelsea in the transfer market. We will buy Chelsea rejects and we will not do anything about our wage bill.

He has stated the obvious, we will always pay within our means but Chelsea can always tap into Abramovic's pocket true enough. But despite that he still believes we can compete (like I said, in a different way). And it is very true that all the good players cannot go to Chelsea, we did get Vermaelen and Arshavin remember?
If the truth of our situation still hasn't hit you with that statement then I don't know what will convince you.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by HNIC(m): 1:34pm On Apr 18, 2010
@Vieira
I agree with you.
AW is a victim of his own success no doubt.
It's the negatives you highlighted everyone is pissed about.
I am more composed with Mannone is keeping(3rd choice)
Why is Sylevstre a gunner?
Why do we have so many brittle players?
Why didn't we replace RVP when we knew he wont play for 5 months?
Where were the super signings he promised in the summer?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by eldee(m): 1:44pm On Apr 18, 2010
duduspace:

He has stated the obvious, we will always pay within our means but Chelsea can always tap into Abramovic's pocket true enough. But despite that he still believes we can compete (like I said, in a different way). And it is very true that all the good players cannot go to Chelsea, we did get Vermaelen and Arshavin remember?
If the truth of our situation still hasn't hit you with that statement then I don't know what will convince you.

Exactly . . . he said one thing and said the exact opposite in one breath.
You can't compete on the basis that 'all the good players cannot go to Chelsea' . . . it's just like saying 'We're competing for all the trophies because Chelsea cannot win everything' that's not competing, that's playing second fiddle.

Besides you say it like there are no other clubs that are stronger than us in the market . . . Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool and probably Spurs if they get a UCL spot.
In my own opinion, Wenger is making himself the sacrificial lamb, he's being the one to lie to handle the fans instead of fighting for his full managerial rights having being here for years.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) by duduspace(m): 1:45pm On Apr 18, 2010
@Debosky

I have never claimed Arsene is perfect in all he does, no one is, we all have the benefit of hindsight now (though there is nothing to suggest that these things you claim would have guaranteed trophies). The fact however remains that we are doing the best we can within our means, no one can deny that.

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (100)

Real Madrid Vs Barcelona : El Clasico (2 - 0) On 1st March 2020 / Manchester City vs Liverpool - (4 - 0) On 2nd July 2020 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Forever Reds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.