Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,099 members, 7,963,597 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 02:34 PM

The Use Pillars In The Last Floor - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Use Pillars In The Last Floor (1224 Views)

Twin Duplex Without Pillars / Do I Really Need Pillars For Bungalow On A Dry Land? / Designed Pillars, Interlocking Tiles, Fancy Finishing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Use Pillars In The Last Floor by OKEMKPI: 4:53am On Feb 19, 2010
I have noticed especially in many 1 storey buildings the absence of pillars on the last floor,rather a complete contnious linten is used all round,Pls i need experts in building contruction to state the the correctness or otherwise of this and if possible conseqenses of this practice.Thanks
Re: The Use Pillars In The Last Floor by segcymoor(m): 5:33pm On Feb 21, 2010
As d column is been used to carry d load of decking likewise is been used to carry load frm d roof
, MOORE BUILDING SOLUTIONS LTD.(08023807960, arc1mooredesign@yahoo.com
Re: The Use Pillars In The Last Floor by OKEMKPI: 6:17am On Feb 22, 2010
As d column is been used to carry d load of decking likewise is been used to carry load frm d roof
, MOORE BUILDING SOLUTIONS LTD.(08023807960, arc1mooredesign@yahoo.com[/color
]

Thanks for your post,does your response suggest that the use of only chain linten without pillars in the last floor is ok?
Re: The Use Pillars In The Last Floor by aseju: 4:22pm On Feb 22, 2010
You dont necessarily need the pillars to support the roof on the last floor. For example, this is not common with bungalows and yet the exterior walls are adequate to support the roof.
Re: The Use Pillars In The Last Floor by aseju: 4:30pm On Feb 22, 2010
OKEMKPI:

, MOORE BUILDING SOLUTIONS LTD.(08023807960, arc1mooredesign@yahoo.com[/color
]

Thanks for your post,does your response suggest that the use of only chain linten without pillars in the last floor is ok?

Yes. When installed around the perimeter to also serve for achoring down the roof framing. Rather than relying on only the last two top layers of block.
Re: The Use Pillars In The Last Floor by segcymoor(m): 8:16pm On Feb 24, 2010
Aseju, thanks 4 answering d quetion 4 me. i am out town to one site in jugle so i can access mail.
, Okemkpti, aseju has said it all
Re: The Use Pillars In The Last Floor by Nobody: 9:41pm On Feb 24, 2010
@segcy.moor

Well said sir. Nothing extra to add.
Re: The Use Pillars In The Last Floor by aseju: 11:09pm On Feb 24, 2010
My design professionals,

, and this brings about the next question, do you really have to set that top floor exterior walls out with 9-inch blocks? as is so common. Wont 6-inch suffice for the roof load?
Re: The Use Pillars In The Last Floor by texasguy1: 11:52pm On Feb 24, 2010
good q
Re: The Use Pillars In The Last Floor by Nobody: 2:56pm On Feb 25, 2010
@aseju

back in 1999 when i was just getting my first building experience, i was familiar with 6 inches used for upper floors.
but now adays, block qualities have fallen. people prefer 9 inches and would prefer to spend a fortune on columns, pillars and lintels to hold the weight of the blocks and the roof. as long as the foundation is solid, using 9 inches for the entire building is not a problem. If the foundation is poor and the land is muddy, thats when you see signs of severe cracking, and the house sinking slowly.
Re: The Use Pillars In The Last Floor by aseju: 5:20pm On Feb 26, 2010
aasog, thank you, sir.
I agree, the quality of blocks produced nowadays are pathetic.
My opinion is where foundation is solid and the structure is of a "pillar and lintel" or "post and beam" construction, the block walls may be relieved of vertical loads. It is the way to go these days not to rely on blocks for deck/multi floor support. I think though good quality blocks (6-inch) can support roof ONLY at top level.

(1) (Reply)

Farm Land Up For Sale In Kaduna(it Includes Buildings, Plant, Machnery, Animals / Now Selling Fast ! Dayspring Gardens Estate, Lekki (promo Offer) / Sango-tedo Behind Amen Estate. Plots Of Land At Cheap Rate And Ogombo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.