Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,222 members, 7,936,770 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 10:32 PM

Dog Aggression. What It Is And How To Manage. - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Dog Aggression. What It Is And How To Manage. (626 Views)

What Are The Reasons For Aggression In Dogs? / Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy / Tips To Control My Dogs Excessive Barking And Aggression (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Dog Aggression. What It Is And How To Manage. by Greene66: 2:48pm On Sep 12, 2017
Firstly, you must know that dog aggression isn't same as aggression towards humans. Dog aggression is in lay man terms, an unfriendly response a dog offers to another dog. Basically, when your dog doesn't like other dogs.

Dog aggression can be dangerous because your dog will push this aggression to other animals in general like goats, sheep, cattle, chickens, birds, and little children. This aggression is fueled not only by prey drive, but by ego and thirst for dominance.

My dog is Dog Aggressive, can I keep other dogs?

Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: Having multiple dogs doesn't mean your dog having this aggression will kill them. No. He/She may be dominant and will bully and take their food if he/she can and would kill if in a fight with them. What you are to do, is separate them. Separate their food. Be the alpha. Be the big boss. Whenever your dog is about to pull the wrong stunt, caution him. Do not keep him/her with other dogs in the house.

Are my babies safe?

Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: As long as you do not let your little babies go close to this dog unsupervised, they are safe. Their relationship should be monitored by you as a parent. Always supervise their play. Do not let the dog grab his neck, or the baby toss the dog's tail. If you are involved, the baby shall be fine.

Can I develop and exploit this aggression? Should I?

Short Answer: Yes, and No.

Long Answer: You may develop this aggression and build your hound if you wish to use him for dog fighting, security, and brutal enterprise. You may build him upgrade the aggression to humans. YOU SHOULD NOT DO THIS! IT IS POSSIBLE BUT DO NOT. Why should you even do that? If you want a wild animal, get a wolf or a lion please.

Will the dog come for me one day?

Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: Dogs with this aggression are still loyal to their human companions that is why it is called "dog aggression" and "prey drive". They don't usually take it out on humans except they are trained and developed to do so. Relax.

How can I even tell my dog has the aggression?

Answer: Your dog will bark at other dogs and charge for a fight. He will chase any animal on four legs and growl at babies. He may mount other dogs on the street or at the vet office and be violent at the sight of anything else that has your attention. Most dogs with this aggression are usually jealous dogs.

(1) (Reply)

Slant Back Gsd In Lagos / Which Animal Will Rule The World / Rottweilers For Sale In Portharcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.