Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,918 members, 7,959,877 topics. Date: Friday, 27 September 2024 at 09:15 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4529683 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 6:43am On Dec 12, 2012
agaugust: sorry gentlemen, i think we have some rude and under-aged people writing comments here, or just maybe old men with no good manners, insulting words are used by the south african men on this site and for this topic, i thank God i have decided not to contribute again since some people are not operating at the same privileged level that i am with information directly form USA and EU military circles. true professionals dont waste their knowledge where it is not appreciated.

i cannot downgrade myself to the level of a south african 'army sergent' if at all he is truly a military man. i dont believe him because i did not see him display a flash of military doctrine and discipline in the way he talks to people on this forum, a true military officer well trained as he claims they are in south africa, will not use insults on people over this topic. this south african writers on nairaland are either fake soldiers or junior and poorly educated recruits or NCO, and their level of competence to write of a complex military topic like this, is very doubtful. this is a topic for generals or top class military analysts to rank a continent's military powers.

war history since 1939 to 2012, has taught every army general a lesson, who is the best military power ? who is the top of the rankings among countries ? the answer is simple and certain only after the bloody war ends, the superior country is the one that wins at the final end of the war, not before the war ! wisdom for you all. thanks.

Don't be ashamed of your country and make it as if you are working for US military industries. There is no any country in the world that would allow foreigners to infiltrate their military intelligence, especially not from Nigeria which has been declared a terrorist hub by the US. If you tell us that you are a Nigerian soldier who is earning a meagre salary I would personally agree with you 100%. Do not be ashamed of your country my dear friend and stop playing big about a country that cares less about your wellbeing. You must learn to be patriotic, accept your country with its weaknesses and be proud of Nigeria than always praising imperialists as if they do not have their own infirmities and challenges.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 7:24am On Dec 12, 2012
agaugust: i will not engage in war of words over a topic of which 99% of people who write on nairaland are not professionals. i work with a military/defence consulting firm in the USA, and i talk to many military officers from the USA and EU, my job also involves many weapon manufacturing companies, and top ranking military analysts who know the secrets of all these countries we are arguing about. you wont have the confidential/secret information that i have unless you work in the military industry or profession. you feel like making south africa number one in your rankings because you are a south african man, no problem sir, go ahead. just know that your patriotic wish will not win a war for your country, the better fighting force will win.

for others, who are not biased and who care to know, the americans and british respect nigerian military officers more than any other african force, why ? they compete in military schools in their own country and the nigerians beat them. i know them and i talk with them. the western powers talk about the secret nature of nigeria's military strength, even nigerian's are not aware. i wont say all that i know on this forum because a lot of people just want to talk and they have no military training and they dont talk with military officers and consultants in the most powerful countries of the west.

so, you either like my ranking or hate it....EGYPT IS AFRICAN NO.1, ALGERIA NO.2, NIGERIA AND SOUTH AFRICA HAVE A BALANCE OF POWER DUE TO WEAK-POINTS VS STRONG-POINTS AND BOTH SHARE NO.3 POSITION. if anyone has facts and figures that we can all confirm from reliable sources, please challenge me, but not with stories and claims about a country which produces 1,000 weapons and buys 50 for its own military then its citizens think all the 1,000 belongs to their military power forgetting that weapon manufacturers in south africa are mostly private owned commercial profit making companies who export most of their hardware.

99% of people who are writing these rankings did not go to military institutions to study war history from world war I to the current war in syria. it takes a good and balanced knowledge of how to combine land,air and sea power to win a war, how the quality and practical experience officer's in command can determine the result of a war, how terrain is vital, order of battle, national war doctrine, and ability to rapidly increase military strength in time of challenge to a new level beyond what is openly known to the rest of the world. war history has shown how special factors turn the tide in many wars and the country that thought it was stronger actually lost the war or faced a stalemate due to a balance of power they ignorantly did not research into before going to war.

i will like to end my contributions to this topic by saying that the british and american officers/weapons system analysts i spoke to and work with, have repeatedly emphasized that nigeria has a hidden ability to stalemate a war with any medium power in the world like brazil, portugal, south africa, mexico, syria, etc. they say it is a country you attack and end up in a long war unless you are a big power like the USA, south korea, ukraine, israel, UK, china, india, etc. goodbye everyone, i will no longer contribute unless i read a technically sound posting that represents the view of many experts conclusion, not somebody's personal opinions from their bedrooms. please if i sound rude or proud/arrogant, show me mercy and forgive me, thanks.

I still maintain my position. Expect, professor or not you cannot compare the Nigerian military to SANDF. I flatly deny this fantasy my friend, and wonder what type of hallucinogens you take. The Nigerian military is still dependent upon an old and outdated technology as compared to South Africa. How dare you relegate South African Military to that level that is in par with Nigeria and besides SANDF is 100 years away from Nigeria in terms of Military technology. Just visit www.globalfirepower.com and tell me if you see Nigeria listed in those countries and tell me when was the last time Nigeria enter into an arms deal to replenish their dinosaur type of weapons in their arsenal. Nigeria military is nowhere recognised by the global military firepower because of their inability to trade in arms. It doesn't matter how well trained Nigerian infantry is, but with the kind of fleet and weapons they use, they remain ineffective. SANDF that is SA army, SA navy and SA airforce have much more powerful weapon and firepower that can destroy the whole of Nigeria in a split second.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 7:50am On Dec 12, 2012
agaugust: sorry gentlemen, i think we have some rude and under-aged people writing comments here, or just maybe old men with no good manners, insulting words are used by the south african men on this site and for this topic, i thank God i have decided not to contribute again since some people are not operating at the same privileged level that i am with information directly form USA and EU military circles. true professionals dont waste their knowledge where it is not appreciated.

i cannot downgrade myself to the level of a south african 'army sergent' if at all he is truly a military man. i dont believe him because i did not see him display a flash of military doctrine and discipline in the way he talks to people on this forum, a true military officer well trained as he claims they are in south africa, will not use insults on people over this topic. this south african writers on nairaland are either fake soldiers or junior and poorly educated recruits or NCO, and their level of competence to write of a complex military topic like this, is very doubtful. this is a topic for generals or top class military analysts to rank a continent's military powers.

war history since 1939 to 2012, has taught every army general a lesson, who is the best military power ? who is the top of the rankings among countries ? the answer is simple and certain only after the bloody war ends, the superior country is the one that wins at the final end of the war, not before the war ! wisdom for you all. thanks.

I see no rudeness. The talk may be direct but it is not rude.

I highly doubt you got privlaged info from any NATO nation. It just to far fetched. You may have access to info that is not public domian but that not classfied info.

Direct is not rude. And the SANDF is direct you don't coat your words with love and cuddeld people. If you can't handel it you in the wrong profession.

We not rude we just don't like how you spread falls info.

If you doubt me you can check me up. A man with your claimed job would be anle to check my force number out. (06011266MC)
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:57am On Dec 12, 2012

i cannot downgrade myself to the level of a south african 'army sergent' if at all he is truly a military man. i dont believe him because i did not see him display a flash of military doctrine and discipline in the way he talks to people on this forum, a true military officer well trained as he claims they are in south africa, will not use insults on people over this topic. this south african writers on nairaland are either fake soldiers or junior and poorly educated recruits or NCO, and their level of competence to write of a complex military topic like uothis, is very doubtful. this is a topic for generals or top class military analysts to rank a continent's military powers.

The only reason why I reacted the way I did is because I see u as a fake. You know nothing u come here and talk nonsense about countries and claim it as fact while you know u just lying.

The only reason why you my friend desided not to continue writting on this thread is because u cannot back any of the socalled sources. You tell us that u work in military industry yet ur comments here are deviod of any logic and truths.

Firstly you said that South African deffense manufacturers are privately owned entities which is a total lie. I can name a number of fairytales here that u wrote on this topic.

I can be constructive on this topic at hand but when young boys like you come and claim hogwash made up stories with facts and proof what do u think you'll get in return my friend. The nonsense you've written here and from what I've critically observed demonstrates a lack of intelligence and in general terms I call u a self delusional wanna be military proffesional.

Show me the hardware all these countries have because even the US shows everyone there hardware.

Tell did u know that Ethiopian airforce is better trained and equiped then the hole of the Nigerian airforce this is just one of the facts ur socalled intelligence friends didn't tell u.

If you want people to respect u then u should speak truth to everything u write I can challenge u on a number of foolish nonsense u wrote here.

Ok for me to take u seriously show me one naval ship in africa that can outclass one of South Africa's current naval warships.

I call u a fake and unless u can proof me defferent that's what you are;P
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by kikuyu1(m): 12:31pm On Dec 12, 2012

SIGHHHHH! I'm a Kenyan so I'm neutral and though I chose to ignore pissing contests THE TRUTH MUST BE SAID. SA is miles and miles ahead of Naija BY ANY MEASURE. Equipment,budget,training,technology,take your pick of what to compare. Also the Naija army has serious operational issues of discipline-reports of rape & looting were heard throughout ECOMOG operations-why?
the senior most army levels were riddled with corruption that made dollar billionaires of a handful,while the NA conduct in ECOMOG operations in W.Africa was riddled with cries of looting, rape and general indiscipline.
http://karanjazplace..com/2012/11/the-naijja-army-officer-corps-were-in.html
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Dec 12, 2012
I don't know where you south africans/ africans get your your notion of the nigerian military been not well trained or equipped. The nigerian armed forces and staff college in JAJI, kaduna state is the BEST military college in africa. The nigerian military always receive top honours on abroad tours/ trainings. Keeping believing that gibberish of nigeria army officers been poorly trained / equipped you read on line. After all, it's a free world.

For the benefit of doubts the reason so little is known about the nigerian military is that information coming out of the military is tightly controlled unlike In say, SA or egypt. However there is no dispute about the fact that SA airforce is better than nigeria's airforce, the NAVY is some what better than nigeria, offcourse it is disputable as our threats at the moment do not require too many blue water ships, but we got an impressive haul of both small and medium sized crafts, the largest haul of small or medium sized crafts anywhere in the continent. The navy is also in line to receive 7 brand new OPV's from both china and piprav shipping plant in india, so the talk of south africa having more blue/ ocean going vessels than nigeria would die of this coming 2013.

As for the army it is either you south africans are ignorant or just want to dis tort information. I'm sorry nigeria's army is far ahead of SA army whether in training, morale or equipment. We in nigeria have proven that in tours abroad right from. Burma( when we served under the british) during world war II down to this very moment. We people say that nigeria's military is undisciplined or lack training, I just crack up and laugh. When those malicious, poorly written reports where put down, we were handing it to the rebels in liberia, SLR, somalia (in 1993) and Camerounians in bakassi. Four conflicts. The facts in these areas speak for themselves, we nigerians have proven ourselves in combat over and over again. So comparing SA army to NIGERIA army, is simply put, gross daydreaming!!!!

10 russian MI-17 terminator helos would be delivered in the first quarter of 2013 to add to our growing/ large fleet of MI-35p, MI-24 hind and MI-17 attack. Now all these, are info released by the air force. What about what is not released to the public. We are not looking for anybody's approval or a "pat on the back", to say well done or good job. We get our job done. Besides when people say SA military hardware, it is the MRAPs most people go for. your helicopters lack good technology, so that one is out of the question.

So if I'm to rate SA military/ against nigeria's
SA air force better than nigeria airforce = true

SA navy against nigeria navy = true/ somewhat

SA army against nigeria army = day dreaming, nigeria better.

SA air defence against nigeria = nigeria better

You either agree or dis agree, but these are the facts.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Dec 12, 2012
I don't know where you south africans/ africans get your your notion of the nigerian military been not well trained or equipped. The nigerian armed forces and staff college in JAJI, kaduna state is the BEST military college in africa. The nigerian military always receive top honours on abroad tours/ trainings. Keeping believing that gibberish of nigeria army officers been poorly trained / equipped you read on line. After all, it's a free world.

For the benefit of doubts the reason so little is known about the nigerian military is that information coming out of the military is tightly controlled unlike In say, SA or egypt. However there is no dispute about the fact that SA airforce is better than nigeria's airforce, the NAVY is some what better than nigeria, offcourse it is disputable as our threats at the moment do not require too many blue water ships, but we got an impressive haul of both small and medium sized crafts, the largest haul of small or medium sized crafts anywhere in the continent. The navy is also in line to receive 7 brand new OPV's from both china and piprav shipping plant in india, so the talk of south africa having more blue/ ocean going vessels than nigeria would die of this coming 2013.

As for the army it is either you south africans are ignorant or just want to dis tort information. I'm sorry nigeria's army is far ahead of SA army whether in training, morale or equipment. We in nigeria have proven that in tours abroad right from. Burma( when we served under the british) during world war II down to this very moment. We people say that nigeria's military is undisciplined or lack training, I just crack up and laugh. When those malicious, poorly written reports where put down, we were handing it to the rebels in liberia, SLR, somalia (in 1993) and Camerounians in bakassi. Four conflicts. The facts in these areas speak for themselves, we nigerians have proven ourselves in combat over and over again. So comparing SA army to NIGERIA army, is simply put, gross daydreaming!!!!

10 russian MI-17 terminator helos would be delivered in the first quarter of 2013 to add to our growing/ large fleet of MI-35p, MI-24 hind and MI-17 attack. Now all these, are info released by the air force. What about what is not released to the public. We are not looking for anybody's approval or a "pat on the back", to say well done or good job. We get our job done. Besides when people say SA military hardware, it is the MRAPs most people go for. your helicopters lack good technology, so that one is out of the question.

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 9:56pm On Dec 12, 2012
Henry120: I don't know where you south africans/ africans get your your notion of the nigerian military been not well trained or equipped. The nigerian armed forces and staff college in JAJI, kaduna state is the BEST military college in africa. The nigerian military always receive top honours on abroad tours/ trainings. Keeping believing that gibberish of nigeria army officers been poorly trained / equipped you read on line. After all, it's a free world.

they got training but they dont have good or a lot of advance gear.

according to who is it the best training college and the solders sent on forghin courises are the best of the best if they dont do good there somthing wrong with the sytem.

no one saying nigeria crap just that they over rated.

there tones of info on the nigeria milltarry. dont rely on the internet or if you do spend some money and use janes defense web site. The resone you dont know this info is you never tried to do research.

SAN is planing on geting 6 opv's at least 1 LPHD, another combat and talks this year where of 2 more frigats so no we will still have like all ways the most power full navy in africa

how is it day dreaming, we spend more money and time in traing got better gear and have hertiage going backe before ww1. so no the only thing nigeria has is numbers.

nothing is been hidden. you just need to spend more time looking.

sorry the rooifalk is faster, has more armour, better mouvabliety, speed and has good avionics has the apachy. it just dose not have the long bow radar and the amricans undercut us every time we tried to sell it.

air force sa

navy sa

army 50/50 the size of the nigerian army is a Player

air defense is in nigerias favour but the sytems are so out of date and old they no threat to a modern air force

SF is all south africa. nigeria has nothing on the recces

i find it strang how people think SANDF members have low moral. We got great pay (far better than any in nigeria) and great benfits life is great for us and we know we have it good. There was a time when this was not the case but a that was some time ago. now we are happy. we dont need to rob our own civlians at check points.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:44pm On Dec 12, 2012
Henry120: I don't know where you south africans/ africans get your your notion of the nigerian military been not well trained or equipped. The nigerian armed forces and staff college in JAJI, kaduna state is the BEST military college in africa. The nigerian military always receive top honours on abroad tours/ trainings. Keeping believing that gibberish of nigeria army officers been poorly trained / equipped you read on line. After all, it's a free world.

Henry Henry Henry this is what I was talking about when I say stop claiming nonsense here

Your own generals have said that Nigeria don't have the capability to protect ur seas and waterways my friend. Even if u get 20 OPV for ur Navy its still no match for SAN's Valour Class Frigattes or submarines fact.

Secondly the MI 17 is a transporter helicopter but is not better then the current Oryx SAN uses.

The Russian made MI 24/35 have signed a contract with SA's goverment owned Denel and its Kentron devision including Eloptro infrared systems and Kentrons missile devision to fit Kentrons Mokopa anti-tank missiles + IAI Tamam devisions HMOSP( helicopter multi-mission optronic stabilised payload) with FLIV, TV and aototracker, embedded GPS and cockpit multi-function displays.

All this is South African technology currenly in service in SANDF's upgraded ROOIVALK ATTACK HELICOPTER which will be intergrated in the Russian helicopters to bring it inline with current modern avionics and that's a fact. Go to airforcetechnology.com or any other source if u don't agreegrin

Denel will also provide parts and services to current Russian made helicopter operating in sub-sahara region including middle east under this contract.

Those new AIRBUS military A400 transporter planes will also use DENEL technology go and research this.

If this don't proof SA's deffense capabilities then I don't know.

Your countries infantry forces are ill equiped u use 1980's soviet era tanks and weaponry fact.

SA don't send its forces for training to US-EU they don't have the expertise in Southern African region ecological condtions.

Ur Navy is weak and can't even protect ur oil shipping lines and this is also a fact there's a number of reports stating this.

U talk about ur fighting in regional civil war's asive u were at it alone without AU nations and ECOMOG support including UN logistical support.

Talking about boasting about hardware in SA and EGYPT both countries can do so because u don't have the anything modern.

U don't have any ballistic missile deffense systems currently South Africa has had such a capability for over 30 years now.

The war in the Bakassi region have shown that your countries military is incapable of protecting ur borders and sovereignity fact Cameroun a nation with a military personel 5 times smaller then yours proved this to the world infact tell what has since happened to the Bakassi because its under Cameroonian goverment controlgrin.

Stop ranting and get your facts straight South Africa still lacks in a lot of aspects but what u claimed here is Baffoonarytongue
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:25am On Dec 13, 2012
andrewza:

they got training but they dont have good or a lot of advance gear.

according to who is it the best training college and the solders sent on forghin courises are the best of the best if they dont do good there somthing wrong with the sytem.

no one saying nigeria crap just that they over rated.

there tones of info on the nigeria milltarry. dont rely on the internet or if you do spend some money and use janes defense web site. The resone you dont know this info is you never tried to do research.

SAN is planing on geting 6 opv's at least 1 LPHD, another combat and talks this year where of 2 more frigats so no we will still have like all ways the most power full navy in africa

how is it day dreaming, we spend more money and time in traing got better gear and have hertiage going backe before ww1. so no the only thing nigeria has is numbers.

nothing is been hidden. you just need to spend more time looking.

sorry the rooifalk is faster, has more armour, better mouvabliety, speed and has good avionics has the apachy. it just dose not have the long bow radar and the amricans undercut us every time we tried to sell it.

air force sa

navy sa

army 50/50 the size of the nigerian army is a Player

air defense is in nigerias favour but the sytems are so out of date and old they no threat to a modern air force

SF is all south africa. nigeria has nothing on the recces

i find it strang how people think SANDF members have low moral. We got great pay (far better than any in nigeria) and great benfits life is great for us and we know we have it good. There was a time when this was not the case but a that was some time ago. now we are happy. we dont need to rob our own civlians at check points.

If the south african helo has better performance than the united states apache as you claim, and is only lacking good radar system, why is it that south africa is the only known user of the roovialk, it should be popular amongst african nations at least. So why then is this not the case? Now you are blaming the U.S. I'm sorry, the truth is your helos are sub-par. You can't tell me that the US just wants to undermine south africa, what about china? Bros abeg leave that thing.

Your choppers, brilliant effort, but sub-standard. This is the truth!!!!! Don't come hear to blame the US.

There is nothing, absolute nothing on the nigerian military online, so stop all these your search online talk, go to janes defence web talk. The only reliable information you can get of the military at ship house(DHQ) in abuja. I'm not saying that there are no challenges, in equipment(advanced), but in comparism to south africa army ( not the airforce or navy), we are better off. Do not think that south africa is the only major defence manufacturer on the continent, nigeria is also up there, either in partnership with steyr group in the production of MRAPs and APC or just nigerian military engineers. Since the advent of democracy in 1999 our budget has reason from 1.7-6 billion usd/per year. It is however lower this coming year as we cannot be spending so much defence, when we got other such as improved health care, education et al to deal with.

You say our air defence systems are out dated. I laugh, why not ask one of your pilots to take your SAAB gripen's you people paste all over the internet, over lagos so we can test the system. I just wonder how you guys think, you want us to splash all we over all over the internet, so that an aggressor would know what facility to first attack/ beware of. Does that really mak any sense to you?

SF, nigeria SF is newly formed, and at the moment cannot be compared to SA recces, but within a couple of years, say 3-4 years, we would be better, as SF members continue to under go rigorous training and more experience from real life events, and not training like SA SF.

Your last sentence just shows how silly you can be. Do they do that in your country. At least I know soldiers in this country are not HIV & AIDS infested like both white and black SANDF members or do not kill un armed miners protesting over pay.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:10am On Dec 13, 2012
Let me go back to our navy. We do not have bigger ships as south africa does because our current challenges do not demand it. I don't see how you'd want to combat piracy with an air craft carrier. So basically what we have at the moment is a brown water navy, we still have frigates and corvettes. The navy in nigeria is predominately brown water so you cannot really compare it to SA navy which has more ocean going vessels. In terms of small and medium crafts nigeria has a very impressive haul of crafts.

However if a push turns to a punch, and we are to go to war with SA, the navy would radically improve. Our current needs do not demand them, since pirates and militants mainly operate in shallow waters. We've got the 2nd largest economy in africa, soon to be number 1, so radically building the navy as at when the situation would demand it won't be too much of a problem for us.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 3:16am On Dec 13, 2012
i will not engage in any exchange of words with the south african men on this topic, a true professional has his honour and does not degrade himself to the level of non-professionals. i never claimed to be an insider of USA or NATO military, i said i work for a private american military consultancy, there are many private military cormpanies in the USA and they do this business to make money. i am also an american citizen, and i have enough credentials to be employed where i work and it gives me privilege of meeting USA and EU military men. dimeji bankole former speaker house of representaives nigeria is an ex-british army officer with a master's degree in military startegy, late shlomo adesina is an ex-israeli army soldier nco, there are many nigerians in USA and EU military because they are qualified to be there. i am in the office where i work because i am qualified to be there. i got this job after i wrote a ten page analysis of nigeria's globally respected 3rd marine commandoes, because i am close to one of its former commanders, a retired army general.

below is an extract from my lecture notes during a class/training i attended on my job, i cannot tell you the lecturer's name for privacy reasons, but i will quote his own source just the way he did.

read what is below, only for the intelligent readers, this is a tiny piece of knowledge from the brain of professional military analyst and strategists who are truly qualified to give correct rankings of military power among countries of the world. you will see from this article below, hwy you cannot judge military power and predict victory in war just because a country has the more weapons or manufactures more weapons, the calibre of top brass marshaling the forces is very important to win a war, the experience of the generals, admirals, air marshals, is a very vital factor of military power.

Why Britain Won The Falklands War

From 'Tempest in a Teapot' by Reginald & Elliot, 1983

This was the question posed by American academics Reginald & Elliot in the conclusion to their excellent 1983 study on the Falklands War,
'Tempest in a Teapot'.

"Why did Britain win? The British victory was composed of equal measures of professionalism and luck, both essential factors in the prosecution of a war. On paper,[b] Argentina appeared to have a decided edge, in men, materiel, planes, position, and supply lines. The Argentine advantage, however, was eroded away by the British forces as the war developed, the experience of the British military being a decisive factor.[/b]

Britain also used the press much more efficiently than Argentina, giving the impression of evenhandedness, truthfulness, even humbleness in advancing its claims, when in reality the military manipulated the few reporters assigned to the fleet by feeding them exaggerated but believable reports about the large numbers of British troops, ships, and planes being sent to the South Atlantic. While the Argentine press releases were discredited almost from the first day of the campaign, Britain's official government press office was regarded by most westerners as the only news source that was even partially veracious. In other words, Britain won the psychological war, and by doing so, gave an enormous boost to its military position. As the war progressed, even Argentina began believing British claims. This was, of course, precisely what Britain intended.

The sinking of the Argentine ship General Belgrano not only removed from the seas Argentina's most powerful warship, but also effectively marked the end of the naval war in the Falklands; thereafter, Argentina kept its ships within sighting distance of the mainland.

Argentina seemed to have a large advantage in air power at the beginning of the conflict, but never was able to use its large numbers of fighter-bombers to establish control of the air space over the Falklands. Instead, twenty British Sea Harriers flying round the clock effectively knocked the Argentine Air Force out of the sky in the first two weeks of the shooting war. The slower Harriers showed an uncanny ability to outmanoeuvre the faster but clumsier Skyhawks and Mirages, shooting down the Argentine planes in an astonishing ratio of about fifteen British kills for every one for Argentina.

The Argentine Air Force demonstrated immense bravery and tenacity in attacking the British fleet, which was bottled up in Falkland Sound with no room to manoeuver. But its best efforts were thwarted by a high number of dud bombs, including six that actually hit British ships, by the myriad of antiaircraft missiles thrown at the attacking Argentine jets, and by the short amount of combat time (2-10 minutes) that each Argentine plane actually had over the target areas. Essentially, each Argentine aircraft had to line up over the combat zone, quickly dump its bombs and missiles, perhaps turn around once for a strafing run, and then head back to home base, or run the risk of running out of fuel. This left the Argentine craft at an enormous disadvantage in pursuing the Sea Harriers, in picking better targets, in avoiding missiles. In the end, Argentina lost perhaps one-half to two-thirds of its serviceable combat planes, depending on which claims one chooses to believe; more importantly, the Argentines lost a large percentage of its trained fighter pilots, a resource that will be far more difficult to replace than the aircraft themselves.

On land Argentina fared little better. Brigadier General Menendez, who had spoken out against the original Argentine invasion, was simply the wrong man to be defending the Argentine beachhead. He consistently showed himself incapable of making the simplest military judgements. His strategy, his placement of troops, his supply lines, his responses to British actions, all demonstrated woeful military incompetence. Paradoxically, President Galtieri recognised Menendez's deficiencies on his only visit to the islands, but refused to replace him, on the grounds his removal might demoralise the Argentine populace and soldiery.

The British forces were allowed to land at San Carlos Bay virtually unopposed. Argentine troops at Goose Green were reinforced by Menendez, but provided with no further support when they most needed it. Once Goose Green fell, Menendez seemed to pursue a persistent policy of retreat, falling back from entrenched positions at the least sign of pressure from the advancing British. As a result, he soon found himself besieged at Puerto Argentino / Port Stanley, encircled by land and cut off by sea, with no air support whatsoever. At the end, his soldiers broke and ran before the final British attack.

Contributing to the Argentine defeat on land was the dichotomy between the Argentine enlisted men and their elitist officers, many of whom never moved from their relatively plus surroundings in Port Stanley, while the men in the trenches were struggling to find something hot to eat and something warm to wear. A number of the intermediate officers abandoned their units under British military pressure, leaving them in charge of their sergeants or corporals. The vast gap between the privileged officer class and the poorly trained conscripts that comprised much of the Argentine army resulted in a demoralisation of the forces in the field, and a tendency for them to crumble before the relentless British onslaughts.

Contributing to this was Argentina's poor supply chain: while goods and war materiel piled-up in Port Stanley, the soldier in the field received less and less in food, clothes, and weaponry as the war progressed. He felt abandoned by his own people, and consequently did not fight as well as he could have fought, had he been properly maintained and directed. The fault for the military debacle must lie directly with the heads of the Argentine armed services.

Leaving aside political considerations, could Argentina have won the military struggle? There is no certain answer to this question, but most observers seem to feel that Argentina could at least have made a better showing in the Falklands than it did. Argentina's three surviving submarines were never a factor in the struggle: one was apparently unserviceable, but the remaining two could and should have been deployed near the British fleet. The long Argentine aircraft carrier could have been deployed near enough to the Falklands to increase Argentine air cover there tremendously. The sinking of a British aircraft carrier would have halved British air power, as well as demoralised the entire British expeditionary force - this should have been the first priority of the Argentine Navy. The Argentine Air Force probably did as well as possible with the mixture of old and new equipment available to it: if more Exocet missiles had been purchased, if newer aircraft had been obtained, perhaps the outcome might have been different. The Argentine Army made a very poor showing indeed: with better officers, better supply lines, with more aggressive tactics, Argentina could have at least fought the British to a standstill, and perhaps driven them off the beaches at Port San Carlos. But they did not, a fact over which military historians will be pondering for decades to come."

[b]Source: R. Reginald & J.M. Elliot, 'Tempest in a Teapot : The Falkland Islands War', (1983), The Borgo Press, San Bernardino, California, USA

the nigerian, henry who replied the south africans did a good job, though i regret to say that he is doing the same thing he accused me of, he said i was talking gibberish and ranted, now the south africans' low level of education and calculative judgement has irritated him and he has also began to gibber and rant. however in our nigerian gibber/rant is the truth, the whole truth. henry owes me an apology (lol).

fellow commentators, let the south africans continue to show their lower level of judgement, there is no group of black people in the world that can beat nigerians in head to head use of intelligence and wisdom. nigeria was quoted by a south african as flying MIG 29 Fulcrum and we dont have it, no south african quoted the many bhundreds of very modern and latest european technology amoured vehicles COBRAS from turkey and VBL from france that the nigerian army publicly paraded in large numbers before international diplomats in 2010 and you can view that parade's video free on you-tube, no south african quoted nigeria's total airspace radar coverage for air defence, no one quoted nigeria's ex-airforce chief late air marshal ibrahim alfa's comment in the guardian newspapers that nigeria maintains air defence capability equal in sophistication to the top arab nations, and he also said the deciding factor in war is not how many weapons you parade but how you use them and your wisdom in deploying them in the best manner. nigeria's military policy and strategy is defensive, because we dont make trouble like iraq. thus, the SAM missile air-defence capability of nigeria is top secret and 99.9% on nigerians will never have access to that information, even most military officers in nigeria dont know, that information is not globally published and it is best obtainable by espionage information. nigeria believes in safeguarding itself from external aggression and that is its defence policy thrust. i have some of the information because i know one of the private companies that won the contract for the hardware, but i will never post it on a public website as that will be a betrayal of my country. let any Grippen try to fly through that total radar coverage integrated with SAM missiles in underground silos...that is a little revelation of secrecy...location and deployment of weaponry.

anyone who has time to waste can continue replying the south africans who envy the average nigerian because he is intellectually superior to the average south african. a rank in the army does not qualify you to make correct rankings of countries military power, you need the joint opinion of military officers, military analysts, war history experts, weaponry experts, and experienced battle tested combatant soldiers above the rank of a captain.

global firepower website of rankings is not reliable, it ranked iran above germany, it ranked thailand above ukraine and it ranked singapore above denmark, and that is the madness of ranking that the south african soldier on this topic is relying on as his source of information and he asked all of us to go and read that ? are nigerian's fools ? no sir !! a rank in the army does not qualify you to make correct rankings of countries military power, you need the joint opinion of military officers, military analysts, war history experts, weaponry experts, and experienced battle tested combatant soldiers above the rank of captain, this because when you do rankings you are actually predicting who will win a war...and many factors determine the outcome of a war, not just mnanufacturing or stockpiling weapons.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 4:33am On Dec 13, 2012

Why you Nigerians are so stubborn to understand? You can have many men in war, but with poor equipment you will never win. If you equip hundreds and hundreds of your men with bow and spears against twenty heavily armed men, no matter how hard your men trained you will end up losing the battle. Back in those years of Shaka, the Zulu impis were the most well trained in combat in Africa, but they lost against a stick of white men who by then had the necessary firepower. You can imagine that by then there was no even a single firearm in Nigeria. Black SA were among the first bantu people to be exposed to fire and that's why even today they use it with passion. I doubt if Nigerian army is well equipped and I can't even recall when was the last time Nigeria ever enter into Arms deal. Nigeria had a lot to deal with, poverty, roads, low cost housing, sanitation, rural development, health, education, social development, etc and so tell me with Nigeria national budget which is not even half of SA budget, how will they buy all those naval equipment to compete with SA in just a year. Unless you are under something more disturbing than hallucinogens, then you will spat that nonsense. Do you think poor Nigerians will ever consume all those guns because that will cost Nigeria fortune, infact it will take all the budget of Nigeria. This is a fact.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 5:56am On Dec 13, 2012
Henry120:

If the south african helo has better performance than the united states apache as you claim, and is only lacking good radar system, why is it that south africa is the only known user of the roovialk, it should be popular amongst african nations at least. So why then is this not the case? Now you are blaming the U.S. I'm sorry, the truth is your helos are sub-par. You can't tell me that the US just wants to undermine south africa, what about china? Bros abeg leave that thing.

Your choppers, brilliant effort, but sub-standard. This is the truth!!!!! Don't come hear to blame the US.

There is nothing, absolute nothing on the nigerian military online, so stop all these your search online talk, go to janes defence web talk. The only reliable information you can get of the military at ship house(DHQ) in abuja. I'm not saying that there are no challenges, in equipment(advanced), but in comparism to south africa army ( not the airforce or navy), we are better off. Do not think that south africa is the only major defence manufacturer on the continent, nigeria is also up there, either in partnership with steyr group in the production of MRAPs and APC or just nigerian military engineers. Since the advent of democracy in 1999 our budget has reason from 1.7-6 billion usd/per year. It is however lower this coming year as we cannot be spending so much defence, when we got other such as improved health care, education et al to deal with.

You say our air defence systems are out dated. I laugh, why not ask one of your pilots to take your SAAB gripen's you people paste all over the internet, over lagos so we can test the system. I just wonder how you guys think, you want us to splash all we over all over the internet, so that an aggressor would know what facility to first attack/ beware of. Does that really mak any sense to you?

SF, nigeria SF is newly formed, and at the moment cannot be compared to SA recces, but within a couple of years, say 3-4 years, we would be better, as SF members continue to under go rigorous training and more experience from real life events, and not training like SA SF.

Your last sentence just shows how silly you can be. Do they do that in your country. At least I know soldiers in this country are not HIV & AIDS infested like both white and black SANDF members or do not kill un armed miners protesting over pay.

Geo poltics, price, the rest of the deal. Amrica and other nato coutrys have well established production limes so can see cheaper hell they can just sell the second hand stuff. Buying wepaons is not like buying cars, it a mark of frendship NATO nations will buy from NATO nations where ever they can. Amrica offers better support(of course this binds send nation to amrica)

I not blaming amrica, it just live. Turkey droped the rooifalk to get a western choper so has to increase ties because they wanted EU membership.

So I take it you never visted janes. It is pricy but I lucky, I never have to pay.

We are the largest manufaocter and produce the most adavance tech in africa. Buildind a MRAP is easy iraq was doing it during the hight of the war there people in a amrica where making them with only 10 people. The devolopment is the hard part what good wepaon did nigeria devlope on it's own and I mean good not that UAV.

SA spendest the lowest in terms of GDP on deffense on the conteint only 1.2%. The hope is to get it to 2% if we can do what we do at 1.2% that extra .8% will do wonders.

Ok I will they will fly low and use there ECM/EW sytems to hind them selfs. If they can hide from a german/sa navel task force that is knows they there they can hide from a grond based radar where there lots more interferiance. And by hiding I mean staying at stand off distance and taking out the sytem with long range wepaons. It called SEAD or DEAD.

Sa SF don't just train they deploy all over the world there mission are secrite but they not just sitting in SA. A few places where they have been and are that are public domain.

DRC
Burindiy
Sudan
Mozimbique and zim border areas.

There are other places but they not public knowledg. Our SF have the best training in africa and are rated one of the best in the world. I doubt nigeria could catch up in 3 to 4 years.

HiV and AIDS rate in the SANDF is lower the the genrail popultion and is decreasing faster. And no we never shot miners we where there but we are all ways the last line. And we genraily never shoot when deployed on these poliece suport missions.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 6:09am On Dec 13, 2012
Henry120: Let me go back to our navy. We do not have bigger ships as south africa does because our current challenges do not demand it. I don't see how you'd want to combat piracy with an air craft carrier. So basically what we have at the moment is a brown water navy, we still have frigates and corvettes. The navy in nigeria is predominately brown water so you cannot really compare it to SA navy which has more ocean going vessels. In terms of small and medium crafts nigeria has a very impressive haul of crafts.

However if a push turns to a punch, and we are to go to war with SA, the navy would radically improve. Our current needs do not demand them, since pirates and militants mainly operate in shallow waters. We've got the 2nd largest economy in africa, soon to be number 1, so radically building the navy as at when the situation would demand it won't be too much of a problem for us.

Has I said the nigerian navy is good at what it does. Fighting pirats in inshoar waters. Most of the places your navy sail's is to shalow for our large warships. And yes you do have more small patrol boats than us. Never disputed that.

A navy is one thing that can not be built up fast. Of all the armes of servis it the longest to build up. And you been saying you will be number one for years.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 6:38am On Dec 13, 2012
[quote author=Henry

Your last sentence just shows how silly you can be. Do they do that in your country. At least I know soldiers in this country are not HIV & AIDS infested like both white and black SANDF members or do not kill un armed miners protesting over pay. [/quote]

Here are the facts.

1. Do you know that SA has the same number of people living with HIV/AIDS as Nigeria. Over 5 million south Africans are infected with HIV as compared to over 5 million Nigerians. Nigeria has a total population of over 140 million and SA has 51 million, hence this is the reason why Nigeria has a low percentage. I will confirm this info/stats later with the WHO and paste it for your indulgence.

2. I am very excited that you confused our police with the military. Those disgruntled miners were shot at by heavily armed men in blue. If you want to confirm it go to youtube and tell me if you have seen a single SANDF member there. Who knows, perhaps SAPS or so to say our police are even well and better equipped than Nigerian Army to the extend that they are mistaken as militants by Nigerians.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 8:43am On Dec 13, 2012
agaugust: i will not engage in any exchange of words with the south african men on this topic, a true professional has his honour and does not degrade himself to the level of non-professionals. i never claimed to be an insider of USA or NATO military, i said i work for a private american military consultancy, there are many private military cormpanies in the USA and they do this business to make money. i am also an american citizen, and i have enough credentials to be employed where i work and it gives me privilege of meeting USA and EU military men. dimeji bankole former speaker house of representaives nigeria is an ex-british army officer with a master's degree in military startegy, late shlomo adesina is an ex-israeli army soldier nco, there are many nigerians in USA and EU military because they are qualified to be there. i am in the office where i work because i am qualified to be there. i got this job after i wrote a ten page analysis of nigeria's globally respected 3rd marine commandoes, because i am close to one of its former commanders, a retired army general.

below is an extract from my lecture notes during a class/training i attended on my job, i cannot tell you the lecturer's name for privacy reasons, but i will quote his own source just the way he did.

read what is below, only for the intelligent readers, this is a tiny piece of knowledge from the brain of professional military analyst and strategists who are truly qualified to give correct rankings of military power among countries of the world. you will see from this article below, hwy you cannot judge military power and predict victory in war just because a country has the more weapons or manufactures more weapons, the calibre of top brass marshaling the forces is very important to win a war, the experience of the generals, admirals, air marshals, is a very vital factor of military power.

Why Britain Won The Falklands War

From 'Tempest in a Teapot' by Reginald & Elliot, 1983

This was the question posed by American academics Reginald & Elliot in the conclusion to their excellent 1983 study on the Falklands War,
'Tempest in a Teapot'.

"Why did Britain win? The British victory was composed of equal measures of professionalism and luck, both essential factors in the prosecution of a war. On paper,[b] Argentina appeared to have a decided edge, in men, materiel, planes, position, and supply lines. The Argentine advantage, however, was eroded away by the British forces as the war developed, the experience of the British military being a decisive factor.[/b]

Britain also used the press much more efficiently than Argentina, giving the impression of evenhandedness, truthfulness, even humbleness in advancing its claims, when in reality the military manipulated the few reporters assigned to the fleet by feeding them exaggerated but believable reports about the large numbers of British troops, ships, and planes being sent to the South Atlantic. While the Argentine press releases were discredited almost from the first day of the campaign, Britain's official government press office was regarded by most westerners as the only news source that was even partially veracious. In other words, Britain won the psychological war, and by doing so, gave an enormous boost to its military position. As the war progressed, even Argentina began believing British claims. This was, of course, precisely what Britain intended.

The sinking of the Argentine ship General Belgrano not only removed from the seas Argentina's most powerful warship, but also effectively marked the end of the naval war in the Falklands; thereafter, Argentina kept its ships within sighting distance of the mainland.

Argentina seemed to have a large advantage in air power at the beginning of the conflict, but never was able to use its large numbers of fighter-bombers to establish control of the air space over the Falklands. Instead, twenty British Sea Harriers flying round the clock effectively knocked the Argentine Air Force out of the sky in the first two weeks of the shooting war. The slower Harriers showed an uncanny ability to outmanoeuvre the faster but clumsier Skyhawks and Mirages, shooting down the Argentine planes in an astonishing ratio of about fifteen British kills for every one for Argentina.

The Argentine Air Force demonstrated immense bravery and tenacity in attacking the British fleet, which was bottled up in Falkland Sound with no room to manoeuver. But its best efforts were thwarted by a high number of dud bombs, including six that actually hit British ships, by the myriad of antiaircraft missiles thrown at the attacking Argentine jets, and by the short amount of combat time (2-10 minutes) that each Argentine plane actually had over the target areas. Essentially, each Argentine aircraft had to line up over the combat zone, quickly dump its bombs and missiles, perhaps turn around once for a strafing run, and then head back to home base, or run the risk of running out of fuel. This left the Argentine craft at an enormous disadvantage in pursuing the Sea Harriers, in picking better targets, in avoiding missiles. In the end, Argentina lost perhaps one-half to two-thirds of its serviceable combat planes, depending on which claims one chooses to believe; more importantly, the Argentines lost a large percentage of its trained fighter pilots, a resource that will be far more difficult to replace than the aircraft themselves.

On land Argentina fared little better. Brigadier General Menendez, who had spoken out against the original Argentine invasion, was simply the wrong man to be defending the Argentine beachhead. He consistently showed himself incapable of making the simplest military judgements. His strategy, his placement of troops, his supply lines, his responses to British actions, all demonstrated woeful military incompetence. Paradoxically, President Galtieri recognised Menendez's deficiencies on his only visit to the islands, but refused to replace him, on the grounds his removal might demoralise the Argentine populace and soldiery.

The British forces were allowed to land at San Carlos Bay virtually unopposed. Argentine troops at Goose Green were reinforced by Menendez, but provided with no further support when they most needed it. Once Goose Green fell, Menendez seemed to pursue a persistent policy of retreat, falling back from entrenched positions at the least sign of pressure from the advancing British. As a result, he soon found himself besieged at Puerto Argentino / Port Stanley, encircled by land and cut off by sea, with no air support whatsoever. At the end, his soldiers broke and ran before the final British attack.

Contributing to the Argentine defeat on land was the dichotomy between the Argentine enlisted men and their elitist officers, many of whom never moved from their relatively plus surroundings in Port Stanley, while the men in the trenches were struggling to find something hot to eat and something warm to wear. A number of the intermediate officers abandoned their units under British military pressure, leaving them in charge of their sergeants or corporals. The vast gap between the privileged officer class and the poorly trained conscripts that comprised much of the Argentine army resulted in a demoralisation of the forces in the field, and a tendency for them to crumble before the relentless British onslaughts.

Contributing to this was Argentina's poor supply chain: while goods and war materiel piled-up in Port Stanley, the soldier in the field received less and less in food, clothes, and weaponry as the war progressed. He felt abandoned by his own people, and consequently did not fight as well as he could have fought, had he been properly maintained and directed. The fault for the military debacle must lie directly with the heads of the Argentine armed services.

Leaving aside political considerations, could Argentina have won the military struggle? There is no certain answer to this question, but most observers seem to feel that Argentina could at least have made a better showing in the Falklands than it did. Argentina's three surviving submarines were never a factor in the struggle: one was apparently unserviceable, but the remaining two could and should have been deployed near the British fleet. The long Argentine aircraft carrier could have been deployed near enough to the Falklands to increase Argentine air cover there tremendously. The sinking of a British aircraft carrier would have halved British air power, as well as demoralised the entire British expeditionary force - this should have been the first priority of the Argentine Navy. The Argentine Air Force probably did as well as possible with the mixture of old and new equipment available to it: if more Exocet missiles had been purchased, if newer aircraft had been obtained, perhaps the outcome might have been different. The Argentine Army made a very poor showing indeed: with better officers, better supply lines, with more aggressive tactics, Argentina could have at least fought the British to a standstill, and perhaps driven them off the beaches at Port San Carlos. But they did not, a fact over which military historians will be pondering for decades to come."

[b]Source: R. Reginald & J.M. Elliot, 'Tempest in a Teapot : The Falkland Islands War', (1983), The Borgo Press, San Bernardino, California, USA

the nigerian, henry who replied the south africans did a good job, though i regret to say that he is doing the same thing he accused me of, he said i was talking gibberish and ranted, now the south africans' low level of education and calculative judgement has irritated him and he has also began to gibber and rant. however in our nigerian gibber/rant is the truth, the whole truth. henry owes me an apology (lol).

fellow commentators, let the south africans continue to show their lower level of judgement, there is no group of black people in the world that can beat nigerians in head to head use of intelligence and wisdom. nigeria was quoted by a south african as flying MIG 29 Fulcrum and we dont have it, no south african quoted the many bhundreds of very modern and latest european technology amoured vehicles COBRAS from turkey and VBL from france that the nigerian army publicly paraded in large numbers before international diplomats in 2010 and you can view that parade's video free on you-tube, no south african quoted nigeria's total airspace radar coverage for air defence, no one quoted nigeria's ex-airforce chief late air marshal ibrahim alfa's comment in the guardian newspapers that nigeria maintains air defence capability equal in sophistication to the top arab nations, and he also said the deciding factor in war is not how many weapons you parade but how you use them and your wisdom in deploying them in the best manner. nigeria's military policy and strategy is defensive, because we dont make trouble like iraq. thus, the SAM missile air-defence capability of nigeria is top secret and 99.9% on nigerians will never have access to that information, even most military officers in nigeria dont know, that information is not globally published and it is best obtainable by espionage information. nigeria believes in safeguarding itself from external aggression and that is its defence policy thrust. i have some of the information because i know one of the private companies that won the contract for the hardware, but i will never post it on a public website as that will be a betrayal of my country. let any Grippen try to fly through that total radar coverage integrated with SAM missiles in underground silos...that is a little revelation of secrecy...location and deployment of weaponry.

anyone who has time to waste can continue replying the south africans who envy the average nigerian because he is intellectually superior to the average south african. a rank in the army does not qualify you to make correct rankings of countries military power, you need the joint opinion of military officers, military analysts, war history experts, weaponry experts, and experienced battle tested combatant soldiers above the rank of a captain.

global firepower website of rankings is not reliable, it ranked iran above germany, it ranked thailand above ukraine and it ranked singapore above denmark, and that is the madness of ranking that the south african soldier on this topic is relying on as his source of information and he asked all of us to go and read that ? are nigerian's fools ? no sir !! a rank in the army does not qualify you to make correct rankings of countries military power, you need the joint opinion of military officers, military analysts, war history experts, weaponry experts, and experienced battle tested combatant soldiers above the rank of captain, this because when you do rankings you are actually predicting who will win a war...and many factors determine the outcome of a war, not just mnanufacturing or stockpiling weapons.

Why can't take the heat.

You implied that you had inside knowlege. You still implying you have inside knowldge.

Forgniners can and do join other nations milltary. The fastest way to get citzinship is this methode. The jobs avaibil is limted to those that do not handle sensertive info.

So you have contacts in the miltary circel but not in the circel your self. Yet you act all knowing.

It a intriting piece. Did not learn any thing though.and there where a few minor points I disagree with (the argies had a aicradt carrier and in my opion it was a better ship than a old cruisser but that nit picking)

I adressed Henry persnoly so will not cover it here again.

COBRAS and VBL modern. They out classed by 1970,s caspper.

You wrong. It was mentiond. I still said persnolly in Air defense nigeria was better. Air deffense includes Radar. SANDF all so has 100% covarge so talking about it was poitless. Nigeria has more things to shoot at the enemy though. But has I said before a lot of it is out dated. You do know that the arab air defense has a history of bieing destroyed or penertrated.

Has I said the gripen could pentrated that radar sytem.

I don't enevy nigeria or nigerians. If you guys are full of so many smart people why do you keep voting in morons, blow your selfs up, run towards overturend fuel truks then wonder why every body gets burnet. I am do not want to make this a persnal attack on nigeria but if you want to male this persnol we can.

I have many times said global firepower is hog wash.I said go read janes defense review.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 10:49am On Dec 13, 2012
what irritates me with synderwhat ever and muazu is the fact that they just reduce nigeria to nothing more than number. Some one said SA soldiers are paid more. Well i may not dispute that. But that doesnt mean you live better. What is the cost of living in SA compared to naija? And for muazu in particular, you dont know when last the FG engaged in arms procurment thats be becos you know nothing about naija. While i am not the best person to tell you about our military, i still know that in 2009, we procured 15 F-7s from china and they are fully operational. We just built a locally made armoured personel carrier and a small naval warship.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:07am On Dec 13, 2012
as for training, do you know we have a defence college in jaji? Not only do other countries send down their military officers for further study, but the UN also sends its peacekeeping troops to get some training before being deployed to their places of mission. So the fact that the UN sends its soldiers to that college shows that they know that the training got their is very good.
Thats an edorsement from an international organization. So pls dont reduce us to mere number!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 11:35am On Dec 13, 2012
souldust: what irritates me with synderwhat ever and muazu is the fact that they just reduce nigeria to nothing more than number. Some one said SA soldiers are paid more. Well i may not dispute that. But that doesnt mean you live better. What is the cost of living in SA compared to naija? And for muazu in particular, you dont know when last the FG engaged in arms procurment thats be becos you know nothing about naija. While i am not the best person to tell you about our military, i still know that in 2009, we procured 15 F-7s from china and they are fully operational. We just built a locally made armoured personel carrier and a small naval warship.

I was the one who said we get paid more. Lowest paid uniformed member gets 3 times minium wage along with all the stansed befits free food, free housing, free medical extra I am going in to my 4th year and I well over a 1000 us dollars a month.

The F7 has been mentioned before (you wasted your money. Was the main thing)
Your armoured car was mentioned and the patrol boats where mentioned. I even said they nice patrol boats.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Dec 13, 2012
Msauza:

Why you Nigerians are so stubborn to understand? You can have many men in war, but with poor equipment you will never win. If you equip hundreds and hundreds of your men with bow and spears against twenty heavily armed men, no matter how hard your men trained you will end up losing the battle. Back in those years of Shaka, the Zulu impis were the most well trained in combat in Africa, but they lost against a stick of white men who by then had the necessary firepower. You can imagine that by then there was no even a single firearm in Nigeria. Black SA were among the first bantu people to be exposed to fire and that's why even today they use it with passion. I doubt if Nigerian army is well equipped and I can't even recall when was the last time Nigeria ever enter into Arms deal. Nigeria had a lot to deal with, poverty, roads, low cost housing, sanitation, rural development, health, education, social development, etc and so tell me with Nigeria national budget which is not even half of SA budget, how will they buy all those naval equipment to compete with SA in just a year. Unless you are under something more disturbing than hallucinogens, then you will spat that nonsense. Do you think poor Nigerians will ever consume all those guns because that will cost Nigeria fortune, infact it will take all the budget of Nigeria. This is a fact.

To have typed this nonsense above, goes to show your very high level of stupidity.

" South africa has a lot to deal with, poverty, roads, low cost housing, sanitation, rural development, health, education, social development, etc". Wake up and stop day dreaming.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Dec 13, 2012
Msauza:

To have typed this nonsense above, goes to show your very high level of stupidity.

" South africa has a lot to deal with, poverty, roads, low cost housing, sanitation, rural development, health, education, social development, etc". Wake up and stop day dreaming.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Dec 13, 2012
Msauza:

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Dec 13, 2012
The F-7 is a heavily modified version of the MIG 21, it is not a MIG 21. As an interceptor it is good, but not as the main backbone of the air force. I won't say nigeria wasted money on them, as at the time they were purchased they were meant to be for the short term. The chinese and pakistani still employ them in huge numbers. It is supposed to be the first line of defence. However there is something in the cards at this very moment, we are already in the market. This is all I'm going to say.

Andrewza you keep mentioning janes defence web, I have told you severally that there is nothing online wether or janes or somewhere else that post the true picture of the military in nigeria. What you get there are just TIT BITS, not actually what really is. I have told you severally that information around the military is tightly controlled and and not much gets out to the public domain. However you have blatantly refused, and you continue to refer me to online sources. Anyway sha na you sabi, if you like hear word, if you no like leave.

That drone, all the drones built by nigeria, where not built by the airforce, rather by students at the nigerian airforce institute of technology( AFIT), not the air force. AMEBO 1-3, all 3 drones where built by students mainly for in land surveillance.

The seaward defence boats have always been manufactured indegeneously in nigeria for some time now, we also have our very own indegenous vehicle manufacturer(INNOSON MOTORS), last year nigerian engineers designed and built two oil platforms for ELF exploration oil company at NIGER DOCK in lagos. The fan fare around NNS ANDONI or the armoured personnel carrier was because they where government agency built. The navy regularly modifies / repairs her ships at dock yards across the country. So stop talking like south africa is the only african nation that manufactures military hardware or TECH. After all nigeria SAT X which was wholly nigerian built was launched into orbit early this year.

However, let me just clear the air, if you want to make this discussion a personal attack on nigeria, omo make I tell u, I'm prepared to throw out civility out of the window and get down dirty with you. Don't just for one moment believe that you're the only person who can launch verbal attacks. All @ andrewza.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Dec 13, 2012
souldust: as for training, do you know we have a defence college in jaji? Not only do other countries send down their military officers for further study, but the UN also sends its peacekeeping troops to get some training before being deployed to their places of mission. So the fact that the UN sends its soldiers to that college shows that they know that the training got their is very good.
Thats an edorsement from an international organization. So pls dont reduce us to mere number!

Don't come with unfounded sentiments here because none of us said that Nigeria has a useless military we just said that it lacks in high tech gear that's all.

Please another thing don't come and lie here about the UN sending soldiers for training in ur colleges. The UN forces are made out of member state who volenteer there soldiers for a peacekeeping duties the world over. When I was send to Burundi almost 3 years ago we went on a debriefing course within our own borders with regards to the tipe of conditions we will face on the ground in Burundi and this lasted more then 4 months before we were deployed there. No western nations sends there personel to Nigeria for training those that go to Nigeria are themselfs asigned to train ur soldiers.

The recent Mali conflict and reports that ECOMOS will send in troops has also eluded to the fact that ur troops will need further training and this comes out from ur own military's command structures. ECOMOG don't even have the necesary air and logistical support like transporter planes APV's and helicopter gunships to effectively oust those thirsty Touraq rebbels ans that's a fact. The AU has ask if SANDF could contribute with logistical support recently, France has ask the UN security councel for an resolution that will include UN financial support because ECOMOG including Nigeria simply don't have the funds to sustain a protracted military intervention and that's a fact.

Your other countryman has also said that Nigeria will more Naval ships then SA in 2013 which is a total lie. Tell me how long does it take for a navy to even build own world class modern warship because by international standards it takes 3-4 years for just 1 ship to become fully operational and even then u need to constently upgrade ur weapons suits including ECW suits to even match current naval advances and this also takes time not even talking about systems testing and training of naval personel. To have a top naval fleet u need at least 20-30 years of continues training and fleet procurement and Nideria simply don't have the industrial base for such a capability unless they use foreign naval assistance do provide maintance support.

Your people here knows nothing yet they come and talk nonsense and think others are stup*d enough to believe such bullsh**t.

South Africa has more military bases and experience in naval and airforce units than Nigeria including the capability to build and service its own fleet.

The J-7 that u talk about is a useless fighter compared to what is on over the world over if u said ur buying the Russian made SU-27 then at least I would have taken u seriously the J-7 is not even on par with some fighters that are more then 20 years of servicw like the F-16's which is not even a very good fighter anymore compared to the 4th generation fighters in use and production currently. South Africa's old home made CHEETAH fighter is better then the J-7 even that old Cheetah had the avionics capabilties to run par on par with F-16's 18years ago. Don't just say things here research whatever stup*d posts and comments u wish us to believe please.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 2:38pm On Dec 13, 2012
Henry120: The F-7 is a heavily modified version of the MIG 21, it is not a MIG 21. As an interceptor it is good, but not as the main backbone of the air force. I won't say nigeria wasted money on them, as at the time they were purchased they were meant to be for the short term. The chinese and pakistani still employ them in huge numbers. It is supposed to be the first line of defence. However there is something in the cards at this very moment, we are already in the market. This is all I'm going to say.

Andrewza you keep mentioning janes defence web, I have told you severally that there is nothing online wether or janes or somewhere else that post the true picture of the military in nigeria. What you get there are just TIT BITS, not actually what really is. I have told you severally that information around the military is tightly controlled and and not much gets out to the public domain. However you have blatantly refused, and you continue to refer me to online sources. Anyway sha na you sabi, if you like hear word, if you no like leave.

That drone, all the drones built by nigeria, where not built by the airforce, rather by students at the nigerian airforce institute of technology( AFIT), not the air force. AMEBO 1-3, all 3 drones where built by students mainly for in land surveillance.

The seaward defence boats have always been manufactured indegeneously in nigeria for some time now, we also have our very own indegenous vehicle manufacturer(INNOSON MOTORS), last year nigerian engineers designed and built two oil platforms for ELF exploration oil company at NIGER DOCK in lagos. The fan fare around NNS ANDONI or the armoured personnel carrier was because they where government agency built. The navy regularly modifies / repairs her ships at dock yards across the country. So stop talking like south africa is the only african nation that manufactures military hardware or TECH. After all nigeria SAT X which was wholly nigerian built was launched into orbit early this year.

However, let me just clear the air, if you want to make this discussion a personal attack on nigeria, omo make I tell u, I'm prepared to throw out civility out of the window and get down dirty with you. Don't just for one moment believe that you're the only person who can launch verbal attacks. All @ andrewza.

All that you have mentioned is no match to DENEL and let me tell you all the info that you see in the internet is there for a reason and has been collected by military researchers across the globe. Those researchers meticulously select those countries that have an influence in the world. So far they have never been moved by Nigerian military because of their limited activity in the art of war. South Africa has such a massive history pertaining to art of war. To confirm this just google the recce team to learn how they used to cunningly infiltrate the Angolan borders to demolish their military installations and to learn more about their clandestine operations. Infact, they had a lot of activity in the past than you can ever imagine and were the most feared. I guess this is the reason that startled and fascinated the researchers to write a lot about the capability of South African National Defence Force in combat. Beware, nobody messes up with SA in terms of military tactics, they are the expects of reconnaissance, air strikes, demolitions and attack.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Dec 13, 2012
snydergp you have to accept it that SA cannot mount a blocade on our waters and cut off any oil export. I may not be the most competent to talk about this but i know a bit about politics and military. Yes you have subs but that does not make it possible to mount a blockade. Remember, we are not the only ones the gulf of guinea is important to. We have ghana, equatorial guinea, togo, benin rep, cameroon and gabon and not forget the uk with two overseas territories in st. Helena and assencion islands just off the gulf. An unstable gulf isnt going to be in the interest of the other countries. So you are sure of aggressive response not only from the FG, but also from all the countries i mentioned. Your MTN, multichoice, shoprite and game willl suffer. NB: OBJ signed an agreement with the US and the UK so they are also in the gulf of guinea with their warships.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Dec 13, 2012
Henry120:

You are correct when u say we have a lot to deal with like inequality poverty etc. Talking about sanitation SA has provided this to over 90% of its people we spend more on electricity, health and education then any other country on this continent even our national budget is twice that of Nigeria's current budget allocation to all its regional states.

Talking about roads we have a better road and railnetwork then Nigeria and we continuesly invest in upgrades our Gautrain highspeed network is equal to any in the developed world. SA set itself targets to eradicate all housing backlocks and by 2016 and 2018 respectfully. SA has the the 4th biggest road and rail improvement project in the world.

Your theory about dreams is just another foolish dream on ur parttongue.

Our airports in Joburg, Capetown and. Durban are rated in the top 20 airports in the world and best in africa. Oliver Thambo is was rated as Africa's best airport and Capetown as the worlds best tourist city and destination.

My friend we still have a long way to go but incomparing us to Nigeria please u still have 2 decades of catching up to dogrin

Please once again tell me that I'm rude and insulting because this is just the reality u can ask ur people who live in SA they will tell u the samething fact.

Henry this topic is about military power and not country bashing and let us not go down to that level because South Africa and Nigeria still has a lot to do to uplift our respective nations people and both nations needs each other to create a better continent. Please bro let's stick to the topic at hand
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Dec 13, 2012
souldust: snydergp you have to accept it that SA cannot mount a blocade on our waters and cut off any oil export. I may not be the most competent to talk about this but i know a bit about politics and military. Yes you have subs but that does not make it possible to mount a blockade. Remember, we are not the only ones the gulf of guinea is important to. We have ghana, equatorial guinea, togo, benin rep, cameroon and gabon and not forget the uk with two overseas territories in st. Helena and assencion islands just off the gulf. An unstable gulf isnt going to be in the interest of the other countries. So you are sure of aggressive response not only from the FG, but also from all the countries i mentioned. Your MTN, multichoice, shoprite and game willl suffer. NB: OBJ signed an agreement with the US and the UK so they are also in the gulf of guinea with their warships.

My brother SA and Nigeria will never go to war eventhough both country's has had a tricky foreign relations due to some stup*d hot headed bafoons on both sides, there's just to much to loose for such a situation besides its in both our interest to have good relations because its mutually benificial for both nationswink

SAN does have the capablity to enforce a naval blockade on Nigerian waters our Valour Class frigattes does have a ballistic capability to take out your coastal deffenses including attacking your oil platforms which will stop 70% of ur countries revenue for some time. But I must admit we do not have the capability to launch a invation on ur soil not even US has that capabilty to succesfully invade Nigeria and sustain a prolonged war because ur population will simply not allow such an ocuppation unless your FG implements policy's that would cause internal conflict. Without local popular support no country even superpower would invade Nigeria or South Africa without suffering heavy losses or forcing a stalemate.

There's currenly only 5 african nations that have this capability and that's Angola, Nigeria, South Africa and Egypt and to a lesser extend Algeria and Morroco.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Dec 13, 2012
snydergp you cannot distort the fact of history just becos you do not like it. You said ECOMOG lacks transport and logistics? May be you were the one who provided them with the ones they used in the seriea leone and liberia civil wars. And that was in the early 90s. Remember that ECOMOG mission in both wars was funded and undertaken completely by ECOMOG without any assistance from any one. And much, when i say much i mean much, of the fund and logistics as well as manpower and hardware were provided by naija.

The reason why we are not taking charge of the whole thing in mali is not becos we lack the capability (indeed we have it no matter what you think) but becos the FG has learnt its lessons from previous interventions in missions outside of nigeria. We do it and get no benefit and at detriment to ourself. Not forgetting the negative treatment we get from other nationals. You are not going to encourage us to continue to carry the weight of other people on our shoulders without benefits. We have done it for over 50 years already.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 3:55pm On Dec 13, 2012
snydergp:

You are correct when u say we have a lot to deal with like inequality poverty etc. Talking about sanitation SA has provided this to over 90% of its people we spend more on electricity, health and education then any other country on this continent even our national budget is twice that of Nigeria's current budget allocation to all its regional states.

Talking about roads we have a better road and railnetwork then Nigeria and we continuesly invest in upgrades our Gautrain highspeed network is equal to any in the developed world. SA set itself targets to eradicate all housing backlocks and by 2016 and 2018 respectfully. SA has the the 4th biggest road and rail improvement project in the world.

Your theory about dreams is just another foolish dream on ur parttongue.

Our airports in Joburg, Capetown and. Durban are rated in the top 20 airports in the world and best in africa. Oliver Thambo is was rated as Africa's best airport and Capetown as the worlds best tourist city and destination.

My friend we still have a long way to go but incomparing us to Nigeria please u still have 2 decades of catching up to dogrin

Please once again tell me that I'm rude and insulting because this is just the reality u can ask ur people who live in SA they will tell u the samething fact.

Henry this topic is about military power and not country bashing and let us not go down to that level because South Africa and Nigeria still has a lot to do to uplift our respective nations people and both nations needs each other to create a better continent. Please bro let's stick to the topic at hand

To be more exact, Nigeria is 100yrs late to what South Africa has achieved thus far. If this is 2012 then Nigeria supposed to be somewhere in the 1800 in terms of infrastructural developments and moreover their ever growing and increasing population poses a threat of reaching economic meltdown which will in turn promote the criterion of the survival of the fittest. It was for this reason that China was prompted to promulgate laws that criminalised polygamy and multiple births by couples. It is now officially a crime to have more than two children in China and even though their economy is blossoming, unfortunately it does not benefit ordinary Chinese citizens. Poverty in China is very rife and many of them are dependent upon a meal which is less than one dollar a day. Competition for better jobs is tough and in many instances a salary that has to pay a single person is shared for two.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 3:57pm On Dec 13, 2012
Henry120: The F-7 is a heavily modified version of the MIG 21, it is not a MIG 21. As an interceptor it is good, but not as the main backbone of the air force. I won't say nigeria wasted money on them, as at the time they were purchased they were meant to be for the short term. The chinese and pakistani still employ them in huge numbers. It is supposed to be the first line of defence. However there is something in the cards at this very moment, we are already in the market. This is all I'm going to say.

The F7 is a joke. It is out classed by many air craft. It was a waist of money because there are many more options you could have chosen. I mean angola has a real fighter in the SU27. A few SU27 would have gone a long way. The other resone that the J7 is a waist of money is the fact it is a interceptor. Nigeria is a land based power and the air force role should be suporting the army. Yes part of that is clearing the skys of enemy aircraft but most nigerian deployments have been against enemys with no air craft. So once there is no longer a need for fighting air battel either because they have been removed has a threat or where never there in the first place the J7 is useless. It payload is to light to carry a good loadout and it's poor endurance(even the gripen has to low endurance in my opion). At least a SU27 can help the troops with ground atacks. Yes china and pakistan use the J7 but in massive numbers. The hope is to swarm enemy bombers and take the out. You don't have a swarm of J7 nor the need to have a dedicated inteceptor. Nigeria needs a good mulity role aircraft. The best choice is the SU27 or F16 in greater numbers.

I mention janes because it is the best source of deffense news with out going in to speciolaty sections. There is a great one that deals with just african deffense but I have never seen a web site. It is a bit expesive though. I don't subscribe but the base libary gets all there magzines (and a bunch of others) and yes I don't trust the internet or those history chanel documantrys for info.

Yes I know the story behind the drone's. That why mentioned it. I never went in to detail because there was no resone. It is a cheap recon sytem that is a really good idea. Nigeria needs more.

I think I did mention them before. And again they nice boats. Good at what they built to do. But they not true warships.

Never said we where the only manufatory miltary hardware in africa. Just that we the largest and we build the most advance sytems in Africa.

I never "lanuched any verbal attacks" I just point out that if this becomes persnal I won't hold back. If you think I insulted you then I sugest never leaving the house.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 374
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.