Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,394 members, 7,961,232 topics. Date: Saturday, 28 September 2024 at 06:55 PM

Re: Lai Mohammed reply to Obasanjo: Is Jamb an achievement - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Re: Lai Mohammed reply to Obasanjo: Is Jamb an achievement (699 Views)

Onnoghen, Mohammed Reply Queries As NJC Meets Monday / Femi Adesina Posts Cryptic 'reaction' To Obasanjo's Endorsement Of Atiku / Reno Omokri Reacts To Obasanjo Endorsing Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lai Mohammed reply to Obasanjo: Is Jamb an achievement by Nobody: 11:00am On Jan 25, 2018
The Minister of Information and Culture, ALHAJI LAI MOHAMMED, has responded on behalf of the federal government to the blistering attack by former President Olusegun Obasanjo to the government of President Muhammadu Buhari . Mr. Obasanjo had noted that the government of Buhari had failed, and that Mr. Buhari should honorably “dismount from the horse”.

Nigeria’s former President Olusegun Obasanjo, on Tuesday, in an unbelievable and excoriating statement, commanded President Muhammadu Buhari not to seek re-election in 2019. The words were extremely unforgiving.

The statement entitled “The Way Out: A Clarion Call for Coalition for Nigeria Movement” notes that Buhari has failed in leadership, performed below expectation, and should honorably “dismount from the horse”. As at press time, APC has no statement and Buhari has entered emergency meeting with Tinubu and other APC kingmakers.

While the government listed what it has accomplished over the last few years, I was struck that it included making more money through JAMB as one. While JAMB should be praised for its efficiency which could have led to huge savings, I do hope that the federal tells JAMB to keep its money, and use it to further subsidize its exams. The goal should not be to make JAMB a revenue generating entity. I mean, JAMB is the gatekeeper which does determine the aspirations of many Nigerians, to attend universities and other tertiary institutions. JAMB as I have noted before is not Corporate Affairs Commission. Nigeria should not see collecting more money from its teens as a sign of success. The only thing a poor man gets from Nigeria is our largely affordable public education. JAMB is an extension of that, and must not be commercialized with remittance targets.

Government agencies such as the Nigeria Customs Service are reporting highest-ever revenue collection, while JAMB, under the new management appointed by President Buhari in 2016, remitted N7.8billion to the coffers of the federal government. The total amount remitted by JAMB between 2010 and 2016 was a paltry N51 million!

Re: Re: Lai Mohammed reply to Obasanjo: Is Jamb an achievement by dodelight(m): 11:15am On Jan 25, 2018
Exactly my reaction yesterday. Was Jamb established to make money for the government? These stupid people made education unaffordable to the already impoverished Nigerians by 'legal' extortion and they call that an achievement? Shame on Buhari's supporters!
Re: Re: Lai Mohammed reply to Obasanjo: Is Jamb an achievement by honeychild(f): 11:33am On Jan 25, 2018
I don't think the issue here is about JAMB being a money making venture. It's about accountability. I did a quick check on Google. JAMB registration fee for 2017 was N5000. It was 4000 in 2014. So the huge increase in funds remitted by JAMB last year was not as a result of fee increase. it was because the loopholes for chopping the revenue in the previous years must have been plugged.

If you want to fill a leaking bucket the first step is to plug the holes. Whether you now use the water you have fetched judiciously or you waste it is another question. But first we must plug the holes or there will be no water at all.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Re: Lai Mohammed reply to Obasanjo: Is Jamb an achievement by Annie939(f): 11:40am On Jan 25, 2018
maybe buying fuel a liter 230 naria which buhari is the minister is also an achievement too
Re: Re: Lai Mohammed reply to Obasanjo: Is Jamb an achievement by usba: 11:46am On Jan 25, 2018
honeychild:
I don't think the issue here is about JAMB being a money making venture. It's about accountability. I did a quick check on Google. JAMB registration fee for 2017 was N5000. It was 4000 in 2014. So the huge increase in funds remitted by JAMB last year was not as a result of fee increase. it was because the loopholes for chopping the revenue in the previous years must have been plugged.

If you want to fill a leaking bucket the first step is to plug the holes. Whether you now use the water you have fetched judiciously or you waste it is another question. But first we must plug the holes or there will be no water at all.

Gbam, hatred has deprived many brainless yoots of basic common sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Re: Lai Mohammed reply to Obasanjo: Is Jamb an achievement by baralatie(m): 12:21pm On Jan 25, 2018
dodelight:
Exactly my reaction yesterday. Was Jamb established to make money for the government? These stupid people made education unaffordable to the already impoverished Nigerians by 'legal' extortion and they call that an achievement? Shame on Buhari's supporters!
it also reflects the mentality that exists in the jamb establishment but the question is about whether jamb exist as a parastatal independent from federal government where it uses the sale of funds to run itself or now that funds are domiciled in the CBN through the TSA.the fg funds the jamb enterprise from federal allocations.
Either way it shows the mentality of government towards education which is to be a profit making establishment

(1) (Reply)

Lessons To Take From History on Fanaticism & The Fallacy of Peaceful Majority / Edo LG Polls Record High Turnout As Voters Laud EDSIEC / Unrecognized Talents Fading In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.