Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,195 members, 7,963,923 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 10:28 PM

N800m Stolen At Thisday - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N800m Stolen At Thisday (1670 Views)

Ibe Kachikwu And Wife, Elizabeth, At Thisday Awards (pic) / Another Bomb Blast At ThisDay Office In Kaduna, 10 Killed / Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

N800m Stolen At Thisday by mbulela: 8:15am On May 19, 2010
•7 arrested, 2 on the run

THISDAY Newspapers has lost over N800 million to fraudsters in the employ of the company.
The fraud was perpetrated through the collaboration of Accounting, Audit and Circulation sales staff over the last one year.

The police have arrested seven of the suspects, while two of the ringleaders – Messrs Dirisu Andrew Eshorame from Okpella in Edo State and Sola Popoola from Okemesi in Ekiti State - are at large.

Dirisu was the newspaper’s Kakawa, Lagos Island, Sales Representative, while Popoola was its Sales Auditor at the Account Department.
The fraud was carefully carried out by the suspects who had been stealing the organisation’s newspaper sales proceeds using fake bank tellers.

In a petition to the Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Apapa Police Station, Apapa, Lagos, the organisation’s Managing Director, Mr. Eniola Bello, said: “On Wednesday April 28, 2010 a routine check of the account where our newspaper sales are deposited in GTBank showed some discrepancy in what was sold and what was actually paid in from our Kakawa sales point.”

Bello explained that on getting a query about the discrepancy in the payment, Dirisu quickly paid N1 million two days after he should have deposited the money into the account.
Also, Dirisu, Popoola and others paid another N10.8 million, triggering suspicion by senior management.

The suspicion led to investigation which uncovered massive fraud, showing that they had been stealing between N10 - N20 million per week by using fake bank tellers.
Furthermore, it was discovered that in Lagos Island alone, N175 million has been stolen from Kakawa sales point since January this year.

Bello therefore requested the police to assist the newspaper in apprehending Popoola, whose last known address was 9 Idowu Williams Street, Off Toyin Bus Stop, Agbado Road Iju Ishaga, Lagos.
In addition, the paper’s MD asked the police to apprehend Dirisu whose last known address was 30 Ogunbowale Street, Ilasamaja Lagos.

Bello added that THISDAY believes that both Popoola and Dirisu are in a good position to name others involved in the fraud.
The MD also called on members of the public who have information about the suspects to furnish the police with same.
Meanwhile, up to seven accounting and sales staff have been arrested and are currently facing questions.
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by bibiking1(m): 8:40am On May 19, 2010
No honor amongst thieves!
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by desgiezd(m): 8:53am On May 19, 2010
To have lost #800million within a year shows that the company operates a very porous control system. Too bad!
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by bibiking1(m): 9:02am On May 19, 2010
Who needs a control system when you have a constant inflow from corrupt sources.
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by Acidosis(m): 9:13am On May 19, 2010
This is serious!
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by desgiezd(m): 9:21am On May 19, 2010
bibiking1:

Who needs a control system when you have a constant inflow from corrupt sources.

LOL!
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by sheriffman(m): 10:15am On May 19, 2010
Am sure they have their reasons Lets wait for their explanations.Very possible they know something about how much crooked money their publisher Nduka gets and they feel left out
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by DeepSoul(f): 10:27am On May 19, 2010
bibiking1:

Lol. Let Nduka catch you!

@Post
Karma. . . .?? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by Nenum(m): 10:36am On May 19, 2010
they were trying to groom more "Segun Adeniyi" in the making
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by mbulela: 11:05am On May 19, 2010
Deep Soul:

@Post
Karma. . . .??  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

is a b.itch
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by mbulela: 11:06am On May 19, 2010
Deep Soul:

@Post
Karma. . . .?? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

The guy still dey busy dey pursue babes
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by marvix(m): 12:07pm On May 19, 2010
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm so Thisday can lose N800m without knowing, this country is damn rich.
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by Nobody: 1:56pm On May 19, 2010
paper of the thieves, by the thieves and for the thieves

i bet there books are even more cooked than cecilia the this day award winnning amazon's
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by akinalabi(m): 6:03pm On May 19, 2010
See people running their mouths.

When he failed with This Week no one saw him.

When he was struggling with This Day at the begining, no one saw him.

Damn.
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by bibiking1(m): 6:25pm On May 19, 2010
akinalabi:

Damn.

Funny we finally caught him red handed with the ghana-must-go bags and the Political schemings! Oh well, they say failure hides in the shadows and success stands on a pedestal! He should have ensured that his hands were neat when he stood on that pedestal!
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by rickie4us(m): 7:15pm On May 19, 2010
if N800 can be stolen without being noticed for such a long time, then THISDAY must be damn rich.
But then, I just wonder why journalists are poorly remunerated when these newspaper houses make so much money.
I wonder. I just wonder!
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by otawa: 8:25pm On May 19, 2010
THISDAY Newspapers has lost over N800 million to fraudsters in the employ of the company.
The fraud was perpetrated through the collaboration of Accounting, Audit and Circulation sales staff over the last one year.

wao. whatever happened to control, regulations etc.
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by mbulela: 8:39pm On May 19, 2010
akinalabi:

Damn.

dude, take a chill pill.
No matter how long it took for his craft to pay, maga still no need pay.
Newspaper publication in naija is not as profitable as THISDAY would make us believe.
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by xterra2(m): 8:51pm On May 19, 2010
bibiking1:

lol funny but damn true
BTW,the owner Nduka something is Damn Fxckin rich invited Beyonce staring at her bo.obs -
and invited those fxcking WAR CRIMINALS bush and blair
But sha he get money thats y it was not detected early
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by NnaNna4(m): 11:16pm On May 19, 2010
I am not sure it is upto that amount

800mil/.8bil ke for paper house?

wait u mean 1mil-2mil-5ml no acc auditing until 800 mil

na lie

am putting it at say N20mil is missing
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by akinalabi(m): 11:22pm On May 19, 2010
mbulela:

dude, take a chill pill.
This is like legitimizing the wealth of a yahoo boy because he stuck at his craft until a maga finally paid.
No matter how long it took for his craft to pay, maga still no need pay.
Newspaper publication in naija is not as profitable as THISDAY would make us believe.

Just imagine what you're comparing Nduka's toil at This Week and This Day with? shocked

I tire.
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by mbulela: 2:25am On May 20, 2010
I don't need to read that biography and i know it is completely scripted.
Nduka cannot afford to have his true story written anywhere.
I agree that the yahoo analogy might be wrong and i would correct it.
However trying to convince me that he is entitled to success and his success is legit simply because he has toiled a lot in the past is utter crap, with all due respect.
Newspaper publication is barely profitable in very few instances in this country.There is no way the financial success of THISDAY can be legit (through newspaper sales).
If you believe that, you can believe anything.
What is the circulation of Thisday?
Do you have a clue what their over head is?
You have not even factored in all those profitless musical jamborees.
i beg e,
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by ADint(m): 7:34am On May 20, 2010
The N800m is quite feasible--

Thisday claims a circulation figure of 100,000 a day, @ N150 that is - N15m/day - N105m/week - N450m/month - N5.4b a year,  so quite feasible.
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by bigben3: 7:51am On May 20, 2010
for heaven sake,what is wrong with nigerian workers that they can not work honestly without scheming how to finish and wreck a business
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by Choco5: 5:32pm On May 20, 2010
mbulela:

Who cares what Ndukla has gone through?
How is that my business?
How is that related to the fact that with THISDAY all that glitters is not gold.
THISDAY is making money but it is not through newspaper publication and profitless musical jamborees/leadership lectures.
Runs full ground.Don't be gullible.

Just one click of that link will change your entire thought!! Just click. just click. *click*
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by TewMuch: 6:51pm On May 20, 2010
@ Choco5 ur a psycho 4 that pic.Three men in an orgy.Three homeless men made to do nonsense 4 ur sick joke.If you want to say Nduka is gay, then go ahead.Don't post such nonsense.
Re: N800m Stolen At Thisday by mbulela: 12:50pm On May 21, 2010
^^^^^
out of curiosity i just checked it.
utterly sick pic.
i almost puked.

(1) (Reply)

Disgraceful Yoruba So-called First Class Oba. / Osisioma Police Station Dpo Involved In The Kidnap Saga / Stampede Kills 5 As Gov Akpabio Shares #15m Bribe!can This Affect His Election?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.