Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,121 members, 7,936,492 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 02:23 PM

Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents (19653 Views)

France 2019: Profiling Super Falcons World Cup Opponents / Nigeria's World Cup Kit Sells Out On First Day / Nwakali Added To Nigeria’s World Cup Squad After Dazzling Against Atletico (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by blazer2018: 4:33pm On Jun 04, 2018
Mere fact that we have a certain Uzoho between the sticks is enough to lose hope in this team
Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jun 04, 2018
osazeeblue01:
No short cut to heaven.

Is good we tell ourselves the truth. Super eagles can't get out of the group stage.

I agree
But it surprise me sometimes when they succeed in one way or the other to semi final.
That's time the pressure get more intense... May be they may win or loose.
Though the truth most be told!
Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by dedecoder: 4:36pm On Jun 04, 2018
The team with the greatest teamwork would win this cup and not necessarily the team with the highest number of star players. After all, it's going to be 11 vs 11. The Super Eagles can spring surprises and end up topping the group. Typically, it takes a team of average players with a radical commitment to succeed to win competitions like this.

The only question I cannot answer for the Eagles is if they are hungry for success. The manner in which they started against England does not suggest a team ready for business. I hope someone talks with and to them sha grin

3 Likes

Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jun 04, 2018
Croatia 3 0 Nigeria
Iceland 2 0 Nigeria
Argentina 4 0 Nigeria

Mark my words

2 Likes

Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jun 04, 2018
victrick105:
just like the odds were against Korea republic in 2002 world cup and they still fought there way to the quarter finals, I believe Nigeria can shock the world and shut the mouth of it's negative citizens by cruising through the group stage and perhaps lifting the trophy itself, you can do it, only if you believe you can

That's one thing about Nigeria sometimes, finding there way to wining just with a point or two. Which gives there fans a desperate permutations and analysis. Bearing in mind they may loose or win. I have not been able to predict Nigerian game. I don't even expect them to qualify... But, beat my thought. Nigeria!
Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by HRtechnique: 4:39pm On Jun 04, 2018
marttol:
mtcheeew...keep deceiving yourself... If you can have hope in your self as you do with the super eagles you will succeed. embarassed

I don't think what you said is understandable.
Can you say it like you are talking to a primary school pupil? Thanks.
Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by brunxy(m): 4:41pm On Jun 04, 2018
marttol:
mtcheeew...keep deceiving yourself... If you can have hope in your self as you do with the super eagles you will succeed. embarassed
Bros u wicked sha...see finishing (Remind me of mortal combat).. grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by Dacronym(m): 4:41pm On Jun 04, 2018
hulk616:
Croatia 3 0 Nigeria
Iceland 2 0 Nigeria
Argentina 4 0 Nigeria

Mark my words
Guy I don set 50k plus aside
Different odds, same game, one team, one enemy

1 Like

Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jun 04, 2018
PVision2020:
Croatia - leaders
Argentina
Nigeria
Iceland
Nothing can make Nigeria qualify from that group. Forget luck and prayers. God is for everybody so we should stop monopolizing God.

Am not in support of any. But from the match I watch with Croatia and Brazil.... I think Croatia can't win Argentina. Though, just my thought. On Nigeria matter, smile..... I can't easily submit that they won't make it.

1 Like

Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by Dacronym(m): 4:45pm On Jun 04, 2018
Mtcheww Things are getting worse and ppl can't just face reality, if you say we will do our best I hear you
You tell am say we will bring back cup
Even the Late Stephen Keshi when asked was optimistic but very realistic
Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by Kenturkey048(m): 4:45pm On Jun 04, 2018
alphaconde:
no way for the eagle

2:0
1:1
3:1

na so the group games go be
for most of una mind,Nigeria and iceland go exit group stage ryt??

1 Like

Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by marttol: 4:46pm On Jun 04, 2018
HRtechnique:

I don't think what you said is understandable.
Can you say it like you are talking to a primary school pupil? Thanks.
I'm sorry about that... cry cry cry
Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by Kenturkey048(m): 4:48pm On Jun 04, 2018
hulk616:
Croatia 3 0 Nigeria Iceland 2 0 Nigeria Argentina 4 0 Nigeria
Mark my words
am very sure u voted buhari..

1 Like

Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by spartan117(m): 4:56pm On Jun 04, 2018
marttol:
I hate it when I see Nigerians of being optimistic about Nigeria getting out of that group, deep down we all know Nigeria is going nowhere... Nigeria who couldn't beat ordinary England, you guys better stop getting your hopes up unless you wanna be sentimental. undecided
Speak for yourself undecided
Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by spartan117(m): 4:58pm On Jun 04, 2018
johnime:
Squawka Football

Most goals per 90 minutes in the Premier League in 2017/18 (500+ minutes played):

Salah (0.99)
Aguero (0.96)
Kane (0.88)
Aubameyang (0.85)
Jesus (0.7)
Niasse (0.67)
Giroud (0.64)
Sterling (0.63)
Austin (0.61)
Fellaini (0.57)

Just one centre-midfielder in the top ten
No Nigerian Striker. Meaning we have a problem in the STRIKING POSITION.
Very very very poor analysis shocked
It lacks basic mental reasoning, so out of point!

5 Likes

Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by Kizchristo(m): 5:02pm On Jun 04, 2018
Many of you commenting that Nigeria will not do well, I hear you people. If your child is olodo, always last in class, he will continuing being last in class if you continue criticizing him. Don't go insulting him for being last in class but rather encourage him never to give up and I tell you he will improve. Stop being stupid and pray for Nigeria to succeed and we all will laugh. I am proud to be called a Nigeria. For those of you insulting Nigeria, travel and see if you won't look for the next available flight back home. Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by spartan117(m): 5:04pm On Jun 04, 2018
dedecoder:
The team with the greatest teamwork would win this cup and not necessarily the team with the highest number of star players. After all, it's going to be 11 vs 11. The Super Eagles can spring surprises and end up topping the group. Typically, it takes a team of average players with a radical commitment to succeed to win competitions like this.

The only question I cannot answer for the Eagles is if they are hungry for success. The manner in which they started against England does not suggest a team ready for business. I hope someone talks with and to them sha grin
You are right they lacked passion in that match, only iwobi and uzoho showed fight. This has always been my issue with Victor moses, he sometimes looks so lackadaisical how I wish we still had moses Simon.
Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 04, 2018
I hope the SE can advance from Group D.
Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 04, 2018
johnime:
Squawka Football

Most goals per 90 minutes in the Premier League in 2017/18 (500+ minutes played):

Salah (0.99)
Aguero (0.96)
Kane (0.88)
Aubameyang (0.85)
Jesus (0.7)
Niasse (0.67)
Giroud (0.64)
Sterling (0.63)
Austin (0.61)
Fellaini (0.57)

how many Nigerians play football in the Epl?

3 Likes

Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jun 04, 2018
All those betting against Nigeria are bunch of idiots how many star players do Argentina have aside Messi if you watch their games where Messi isnt playing then you know argentina is just an overated team as for Croatia those saying super eagles cant beat Croatia because of Modric then you must be smoking oshogbo weed if Modric is that good make only now am play our full starting eleven our only problem will be Iceland for those who watched Euro 2016 you know what am talking about
#EaglesForQuarterFinal

3 Likes

Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by yomcity: 5:10pm On Jun 04, 2018
PVision2020:
Croatia - leaders
Argentina
Nigeria
Iceland
Nothing can make Nigeria qualify from that group. Forget luck and prayers. God is for everybody so we should stop monopolizing God.
Mr man keep pessimistic attitude to yur pocket I dnt knw u believe in yursef dat u wil one day succeed if heart can b dis shallow,wen Nigeria was grouped along Zambia Algeria and Cameroon same thing come up, buh they were d first in Africa to qualify for d mundia.so y dnt u pray for yur country and leave fate to determine d rest,#myrhoughtthough#

1 Like

Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by gwmlogistic: 5:25pm On Jun 04, 2018
Not really hopefully after I saw the caliber of players in the Croatian team
Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by naturalwaves: 5:32pm On Jun 04, 2018
cheapgoals:
ARGENTINA

Confederation: CONMEBOL
FIFA Ranking: 5th
Captain: Lionel Messi
Best World Cup Finish: Winners (2) 1978 & 1986
Manager: Jorge Sampaoli
MIA: Sergio Romero, Mauro Icardi

ROAD TO RUSSIA

La Albiceleste were looking likely to miss out on the World Cup after an underwhelming qualifying campaign until the final matchday when they defeated Ecuador 3-1 courtesy of a Lionel Messi’s superb hat-trick which secured their 17th appearance at the competition.

They scored 19 times throughout the qualification campaign that spanned 3 years (2015-2017) compared to Brazil’s 41 during the same period, while conceding a whopping 16 goals, failing to beat Bolivia in 2 attempts (1 draw, 1 loss) losing also to Ecuador, Brazil and Paraguay while also picking up draws against Venezuela, Peru and Uruguay.

World Cup Chance

If their qualification campaign is anything to go by then many would expect Argentina for a group stage exit however they are heavy favorites to qualify from the group as group leaders and in fact one of the teams capable of lifting the trophy.

With Lionel Messi in the team, the 2014 World Cup losing finalist cannot be underestimated. Boasting of various superstars in their rank (to the extent of dropping inform Inter Milan striker Mauro Icardi), the South Americans will hope to go all the way to lift the trophy, one which will be the first for Lionel Messi on the international football scene if they turn out the champions.

Despite dropping Icardi and losing first-choice goalkeeper Sergio Romero to injury, Argentina wouldn’t be lacking firepower in Russia with Paolo Dybala, Gonzalo Higuain, Sergio Aguero and Angel Di Maria all available alongside Javier Mascherano who holds the joint record appearance holder alongside Javier Zanetti with 143 appearances.

Matches

>> 16 JUN 2018
Argentina v Iceland

>> 21 JUN 2018
Argentina v Croatia

>> 26 JUN 2018
Nigeria v Argentina

Argentina’s 23-man final squad : Nahuel Guzmán, Willy Caballero, Franco Armani; Gabriel Mercado, Nicolas Otamendi, Federico Fazio, Nicolas Tagliafico, Marcos Rojo, Marcos Acuna, Cristian Ansaldi, Eduardo Salvio; Javier Mascherano, Angel Di Maria, Ever Banega, Lucas Biglia, Manuel Lanzini, Gio Lo Celso, Maximiliano Meza; Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero, Gonzalo Higuain, Paulo Dybala, Cristian Pavon

Argentina was not supposed to be in this world up at all. I confirmed FIFA's corruption during the last match against Ecuador. The match was fixed just so Messi can be at the World Cup. How? Ecuador was pressured to supply an inferior team in that match consisting of merely teenagers and inexperienced players. The captain of the team, VALENCIA was even seated on the bench throughout the duration of the game. That's match fixing. Had Ecuador played the first team, Argentina would have been at risk of not qualifying because they needed to win so bad and the probability of beating Ecuador's first / main team is very slim. Never have I seen a match being fixed as it was done against Ecuador. Corruption everywhere!

2 Likes

Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by BenditoVal: 5:43pm On Jun 04, 2018
nice one

1 Like

Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jun 04, 2018
BenditoVal:
If a small team like portugal can lift the Euro 2016 when giants like Spain, Italy, Germany, belguim, france. etc. are in the competition then I have no doubt eagles could go far if they are strong & at same time do team work.
Portugal small team?!!!!!
Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by BenditoVal: 5:59pm On Jun 04, 2018
hulk616:
Portugal small team?!!!!!
what made big team when they qualify to the round 16 as best looser's.
Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by IamPopular(m): 6:23pm On Jun 04, 2018
johnime:
Squawka Football

Salah (0.99)
Aguero (0.96)
Kane (0.88)
Aubameyang (0.85)
Jesus (0.7)
Niasse (0.67)
Giroud (0.64)
Sterling (0.63)
Austin (0.61)
Fellaini (0.57)

... Are u analysinq futbol or ya beinq sentimental Apart from kelechi Iheanacho,which other nigerian striker plays in the EPL Check ighalo's stat b4 he left watford...
Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by PVision2020(m): 6:24pm On Jun 04, 2018
yomcity:
Mr man keep pessimistic attitude to yur pocket I dnt knw u believe in yursef dat u wil one day succeed if heart can b dis shallow,wen Nigeria was grouped along Zambia Algeria and Cameroon same thing come up, buh they were d first in Africa to qualify for d mundia.so y dnt u pray for yur country and leave fate to determine d rest,#myrhoughtthough#
Mr Optimist, football neither care about your optimism nor persimism. It's all about your preparation, the materials (players) you've and your hard work. Pray from now till eternity if your goal is not SMART and in conformity with your SWOT analysis you're destine for failure. Even the Bible says "he who wants to build a house must first seat down to count the cost"
Religion as so blindfolded Africans that we leave our fate to some blind faith (optimism).
Have you ever seen any serious individual or organization premise their goals on shear optimism without analysing practical modalities towards achieving it?

1 Like

Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by Damfostopper(m): 6:28pm On Jun 04, 2018
marttol:
I hate it when I see Nigerians of being optimistic about Nigeria getting out of that group, deep down we all know Nigeria is going nowhere... Nigeria who couldn't beat ordinary England, you guys better stop getting your hopes up unless you wanna be sentimental. undecided
ordinary what??...... even the 5 African teams combined cannot beat England

Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by Kmartt(m): 6:32pm On Jun 04, 2018
Mehhh, Croatia and Argentina na real nightmare for this group o
Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by Daraph(m): 7:29pm On Jun 04, 2018
cheapgoals:
ICELAND

Confederation: UEFA
FIFA Ranking: 22nd
Captain: Aron Gunnarson
Best World Cup Finish: Nil
Manager: Heimir Hallgrímsson
MIA: Gylfi Sigurdsson (But in the 23-man final list)

ROAD TO RUSSIA

After a historic run to the Euro 2016 quarterfinals in France where they beat England on the way, the Icelanders followed up with an impressive qualifying campaign for the 2018 World Cup topping a group that had Croatia, Ukraine, Turkey, Finland, and Kosovo.

They lost just twice while they drew once on their route to their first ever World Cup appearance, becoming the smallest nation with a population of around 330, 000, to qualify for the World Cup.

World Cup Chances

Despite losing star man and Everton’s midfielder Gyli Sigurdsson to an ankle injury in March, the debutants are one which shouldn’t be taking lightly.

Even though they parade less popular players (with “son-ny” suffixed names) unlike their other group opponents, their teamwork and determination is a strong reason to their success in recent years.

Their Euro 2016 performance coupled with the world cup qualification have made the opponents to take notice as a side that cannot be joked with.

They are ranked outsiders to cause an upset both in the group by picking a knockout spot and in the tournament proper by finishing in the last 8 although a round of 16 finish would still be considered as a good outing.

MATCHES

>> 16 JUN 2018
Argentina v Iceland

>> 22 JUN 2018
Nigeria v Iceland

>> 26 JUN 2018
Iceland v Croatia

Iceland’s 23-man preliminary squad: Hannes Thor Halldorsson, Runar Alex Runarsson, Frederik Schram; Kari Arnason, Ari Freyr Skulason, Birkir Mar Saevarsson, Sverrir Ingi Ingason, Hordur Magnusson, Holmar Orn Eyjolfsson, Ragnar Sigurdsson; Johann Berg Gudmundsson, Birkir Bjarnason, Arnor Ingvi Traustason, Emil Hallfredsson, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Olafur Ingi Skulason, Rurik Gislason, Samuel Fridjonsson, Aron Gunnarsson; Alfred Finnbogason, Bjorn Bergmann Sigurdarson, Jon Dadi Bodvarsson, Albert Gudmundsson..

Why all of them con carry 'SON' for their last names?
Re: Russia 2018: Profiling Nigeria’s World Cup Opponents by blaakinlagos(m): 7:40pm On Jun 04, 2018
World cup jerseys available, personal names can be fixed on it also as customised. We deliver nationwide, make your order now....08022770642

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ronaldo's Interview: We Have Initiated Appropriate Steps - Man Utd / Francis Ngannou Reflects On His Fight With Tyson Fury: "I Won But... (Video) / 18-Year-Old Silas Nwankwo Joins Swedish Football Club, Mjällby AIF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.