Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,682 members, 7,962,193 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 05:42 AM

discuss the World Cup Team Lists - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / discuss the World Cup Team Lists (1559 Views)

Evidence Of Match-fixing In Champions League & World Cup Qualifiers / La Liga Followers: Discuss The Current Season Here / Barcelona President Meets Cesc Fabregas To Discuss The Skipper's Potential Return To Camp Nou (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

discuss the World Cup Team Lists by RuuDie(m): 11:14pm On Jun 01, 2010
All the world cup bound sides have released their 23-man lists. . . . have your say; lets hear what you think about the choices of the managers. Who should / should not have been included & why!!?
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by RuuDie(m): 11:19pm On Jun 01, 2010
Why on earth Cameroon still have Rigobert Song otheir list beats the hell outta me. . . .

Capello's decision to exclude Scott Parker galls me terribly. . . . & i just cannot understand why the italians turned back Borriello
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by RuuDie(m): 11:29pm On Jun 01, 2010
from the instant D. Bent made a hash of 3 p.ks in that game against spurs, i knew he was never gonna make that WC list even if he'd wound up being the highest goalscorer in the EPL.
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by dayokanu(m): 2:47pm On Jun 02, 2010
The German coach Joachim Loew had spats with Torsten Frings and Kevin Kuranyi and did not even invite them

Injuries decided the rest of the squad.

Michael Ballack, Simon Rolfes, Rene Adler, Christian Traesch all got injured, Robert Enke died so the squad was basically the U21 team.

Among the sure starters only Lahm-26, Schweinsteiger-25 and Mertersacker are over 25yrs,

Klose is off form and not sure of starting. In the squad 3 players are over 30 i.e Klose, Friedrich and the 3rd keeper Butt
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by RuuDie(m): 3:41pm On Jun 02, 2010
I personally would miss Frings. . . . he's one of the few German players I really like to have on my team. Ballack angry thank God for sparing us the horror of watchin that ruffian at the mundial.

Trochowski is one i'm particularly keen on looking out for. . . . me thinks he's a very useful player. Muller - y'all berra go grow im a pair of balls grin he should be playing with Arsene's young, gay guns! grin grin
Tony Kroos. . . . now that is absolute talent there - the boy is just wonderful!

Mario Gomez shocked shocked
Miroslav Klose shocked shocked shocked
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by dayokanu(m): 3:57pm On Jun 02, 2010
Frings wanted a guaranteed shirt in Loews team and Loew told him NO. He got pissed.

Ballack is the leader and Captain of this young German team and this woulda been his last Mundial but for one ruffian with Ghanaian blood. KPB

Trochowshi might not even start. You should look out for Mesut Ozil, The best player at the last Euro U21, Also Marko Marin if Leow allows him to play.
I hope Toni Kroos also play because of his mastery of the game and dead ball delivery.
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by chic2pimp(m): 4:30pm On Jun 02, 2010
I am fearful of Lippi starting Canna at the back. That dude had an awful season with Juve and tbh he is past his best. One thing I can say though is that he never lets the azzuris down whenever he plays.

My prefered back five would be Buffon,Zambrotta/maggio,Cannavaro,Chiellini and Criscito. However news coming from the italian camp indicates Lippi might play Chiellini at leftback and bring in Bonucci to partner Cannavaro.

Also i'll play Pirlo as a fantastita behind the front two of Gilardino and Di Natalie not in midfield. We don't want him worrying about carrying out his defensive duties cuz with Camo injured, the azzuris will be relying on Pirlo to create some spark.
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by dayokanu(m): 6:14pm On Jun 02, 2010
Some interesting facts.

Germany's average age is 24.95. One of the youngest in the tournament along with countries like Cameroon, North Korea and Chile.

Germany, Italy and England are the only three squads whose players all play in their respective domestic leagues.

On the other hand, Nigeria is the only team which has no player playing in its domestic league.
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by folahann(m): 11:54am On Jun 03, 2010
dayokanu:

The German coach Joachim Loew had spats with Torsten Frings and Kevin Kuranyi and did not even invite them

Injuries decided the rest of the squad.

Michael Ballack, Simon Rolfes, Rene Adler, Christian Traesch all got injured, Robert Enke died so the squad was basically the U21 team.

Among the sure starters only Lahm-26, Schweinsteiger-25 and Mertersacker are over 25yrs,

Klose is off form and not sure of starting. In the squad 3 players are over 30 i.e Klose, Friedrich and the 3rd keeper Butt
what happened to Metzelder
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by dayokanu(m): 3:07pm On Jun 03, 2010
^^ Injured
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by RuuDie(m): 11:44pm On Jun 03, 2010
Di Natalie & Quagliarella - useful fellas.

But isn't Gilardino & Iaquinta more of hoping to re-live case of past glory And they look the favored starters!?
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by dayokanu(m): 11:45pm On Jun 03, 2010
Chickenshrimp,

How many goals have those Italian strikers scored for their national team
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by ritchboy(m): 12:39am On Jun 04, 2010
Spain are clearly the best team on paper. . . Being unable to play Torres, Villa, Silva, Iniesta, Cesc, Xavi, & Alonso all at once is a headache worth having. Not to mention the likes of Pedro, Busquets & Navas.
Is Del Bosque adventurous enough to pair Xavi with Cesc in CM or will he opt for the more defensive Alonso?

Well as always, i will be supporting the Oranje and hope they finally dispel their underachievers tag like Spain did at the Euros.

My players to watch:

Robin Van Persie
David Silva
Luis Nani
Mesut Ozil
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by dayokanu(m): 2:27am On Jun 04, 2010
Van Persie can never amount to any good.

Watch out for Arjen Robben
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by RuuDie(m): 6:24pm On Jun 04, 2010
Altidore. . . . Pirlo injured. . . . Drogba injured. . . . hmmm things are shaping up rather nicely - we'll see how much depth some of these teams have really got!

@ richboi,

which Nani - ManU & portugal I've long given up on that fella jare. . . .

Spain have every including a good head on the sidelines. . . . Argentina should be up there, but with that coke snorting pu'to at the helm, who knows what will happen.
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by dayokanu(m): 6:25pm On Jun 04, 2010
I hope van Rapist wont contact HIV while in SA
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by RuuDie(m): 6:39pm On Jun 04, 2010
Take out Arjen Robben and Sneijder & the dutch hardly look menacing. . . . A better Cameroonian side and that could easily be another group of death!
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by RuuDie(m): 6:46pm On Jun 04, 2010
North Korea went and named a striker as 3rd goalie with the hope that, at some point he could be used as an outfield player

World Cup rank outsiders North Korea suffered a blow when world body FIFA insisted Kim Myong-Won must feature as one of a mandatory three goalkeepers although he is usually a striker.

Coach Kim-Jong Hun named two keepers in his squad with Kim of the Amrokgang club as a reserve numerical option between the sticks with strike power at a premium as the Asians prepare to take on five-time champions Brazil, Ivory Coast and Portugal in Group G.

FIFA ruled there must be three goalkeepers - none of whom may double as an outfield player.

[url]http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world-cup-2010/world-cup-news/striker-forced-to-play-in-goal-as-north-korea-try-to-bend-the-rules-20100604-xi0g.html
[/url]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/03/north-korea-world-cup-goalkeeper-gamble

grin grin

Poor 'em - but are three goalies really necessary? Personally i feel one of such goalies should be able or at least be allowed to play outfield if the need be.
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by Sauron1: 6:50pm On Jun 04, 2010
dayokanu:

Some interesting facts.

Germany's average age is 24.95. One of the youngest in the tournament along with countries like Cameroon, North Korea and Chile.

Germany, Italy and England are the only three squads whose players all play in their respective domestic leagues.

On the other hand, Nigeria is the only team which has no player playing in its domestic league.

Don't mind those useless Azurris. . . . .They are trying to belong to that elite crew.
They dropped Guiseppe Rossi because they wanted to name a squad of STRICTLY Serie A players.
Rossi is miles better than Quagliarella!!!
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by chic2pimp(m): 7:10pm On Jun 04, 2010
RuuDie:

Di Natalie & Quagliarella - useful fellas.

But isn't Gilardino & Iaquinta more of hoping to re-live case of past glory And they look the favored starters!?
Lippi should start Gila and di natalie up front with pirlo just behind as the fantatista. Pirlo body can no longer cope with demands of a midfield player. Besides as virtually our only create spark left(camo is injured), we don't want him worrying about defensive duties.

dayokanu:

Chickenshrimp,

How many goals have those Italian strikers scored for their national team
It doesn't really matter how many goals ours strikers have scored. Our Goalie, defence and midfield will make it irrelevant.

~Sauron~:

Don't mind those useless Azurris. . . . .They are trying to belong to that elite crew.
They dropped Guiseppe Rossi because they wanted to name a squad whose players all play in the Serie A.
Rossi is miles better than Quagliarella!!!
Well having all players ply their trade in serie A worked for us last time.
Though I agree with you in that Rossi shoulda gone in place of Quagliarella.
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by dayokanu(m): 7:39pm On Jun 04, 2010
Fabio Quagrelia is one huge dissappointment.

And what is happening to the career of Giovinco
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by Sauron1: 7:44pm On Jun 04, 2010
dayokanu:

I wish Fergie can pinch this guy from Juventus. . . . .
Giovinco is a prodigious talent - the best in his generation by a mile and yet that useless club in Turin is fecking up his career.
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by chic2pimp(m): 7:56pm On Jun 04, 2010
dayokanu:

Blame the Juve Board. The Likes of Secco and co.
If he was in Milan, he would not only be in the Azzuri squad but also in the starting 11. He would be fufilling the exact same role Ozil is for the Germans.
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by dayokanu(m): 8:00pm On Jun 04, 2010
Giovinco, Santon, balotelli, Acquafresca, Santacroce.

These are the youths being ignored by the Azzuri while Zambrotta, Gattuso and Canavaro at old age are still in the team
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by chic2pimp(m): 8:23pm On Jun 04, 2010
dayokanu:

Giovinco, Santon, balotelli, Acquafresca, Santacroce.

These are the youths being ignored by the Azzuri while Zambrotta, Gattuso and Canavaro at old age are still in the team
Tbh, although Santacorce was fantastic the season before, he was average this season.
Santon shoulda been selected and he probably would have had he played regularly. Lippi does not seem to like Balo likewise Cassano who had a brilliant season(both are headcases).
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by folahann(m): 1:05am On Jun 05, 2010
France are paying for having a crappy coach and dropping Nasri. China?!! Hope they are not saving their goals 4 world cup, mukina where u at
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by jalether(m): 6:39pm On Jun 05, 2010
Robben becomes the latest player to miss the wc due to harmstring injury. list of injured players keeps piling up, na wao
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by Ibime(m): 7:20pm On Jun 05, 2010
RuuDie:

World Cup rank outsiders North Korea suffered a blow when world body FIFA insisted Kim Myong-Won must feature as one of a mandatory three goalkeepers although he is usually a striker.

Coach Kim-Jong Hun named two keepers in his squad with Kim of the Amrokgang club as a reserve numerical option between the sticks with strike power at a premium as the Asians prepare to take on five-time champions Brazil, Ivory Coast and Portugal in Group G.

FIFA ruled there must be three goalkeepers - none of whom may double as an outfield player.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world-cup-2010/world-cup-news/striker-forced-to-play-in-goal-as-north-korea-try-to-bend-the-rules-20100604-xi0g.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/03/north-korea-world-cup-goalkeeper-gamble

FIFA is being unnecessarily draconian. . . . throughout the history of football, we have goalkeepers who double up as strikers. . . . Pele was reserve goalkeeper for both Brazil and Santos. . . . Jorge Campos used to play both as a goalkeeper and as a striker. . . . I dont know why FIFA are being so pedantic.
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by ritchboy(m): 11:36am On Jun 06, 2010
Ruudie
The WC is only 3-7 games. Nani's problem has always been consistency over the course of a season. . . His skill is unquestionable!
I think he'd do well as long as he gets sufficient playing time.

Fear the Dutch! Forget Sneijder/Robben, RVP is the key.
VDW, heard of him? His market value is about to quadruple!
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by RuuDie(m): 7:29pm On Jun 07, 2010
Balotelli angry

Abegi the Azurri do not need that kind of disturbance in their camp. One thing the Italians always have going good for them, is the unity and relative serenity of their camps/squad - rarely do you ever hear of ugly incidences rearing head around the azurris.
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by RuuDie(m): 7:36pm On Jun 07, 2010
Nasri

Lets face it - they might have the crappiest manager of all 32 teams, but who is Nasri gonna unseat from the French team-list

Alou Diarra (Bordeaux), Jeremy Toulalan (Lyon), Andre-Pierre Gignac (Toulouse), Djibril Cisse (Panathinaikos), Mathieu Valbuena (Marseille)

IMHO one of these fellas possibly, but they all had a pretty good season plus they've got much more fight in 'em than Nas!
Re: discuss the World Cup Team Lists by dayokanu(m): 7:51pm On Jun 07, 2010
The fact that he plays for a crappy team like Assanal sealed his fate

(1) (2) (Reply)

European Top Ten Penalty Takers / UEFA Champions League: Quarter-finals Draw Live / Arsenal Transfer Gists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.