Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,208 members, 7,963,968 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 12:35 AM

A Brother Is Being Savaged By Some White Folks On Facebook Let's Go Rescue Him - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Brother Is Being Savaged By Some White Folks On Facebook Let's Go Rescue Him (5041 Views)

Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman / My Younger Brother Is Having Serious Issues In The University / Lecturer Gives Kenyan Student MouthAction In Office. Photos Shared On Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Brother Is Being Savaged By Some White Folks On Facebook Let's Go Rescue Him by ovieokodhi(m): 11:08am On Jun 28, 2018
I believe this guy read the thread about doing getting paid doing assignments for white dudes and wanted to give it a try but his village people located him on his first attempt.

1 Like

Re: A Brother Is Being Savaged By Some White Folks On Facebook Let's Go Rescue Him by Kylekent59: 1:14pm On Jun 28, 2018
He doesn't know the difference between persons and people. grin grin

let us get started.

1. 20 persons were murdered yesterday night in xxxxxxxx.

2. 20 people were seen carrying out a deadly act this morning.

Now that man wants to coach a living being. He should use people and not persons.

Sentence 1.
For group of people with exact number we use persons and for a collection of individuals.
He is not going to coach them individually but as a group.
Also for situations related to law,reports.

Sentence 2.
people is the plural form of person and it is used for collective noun. Those 20 persons he wrote is meant to be people because we are talking about collective noun.
He is going to coach them together and not individual so people should be used.

In a short sentence people is used when referring to a collective group or indeterminate number, and persons serves better when referring to individuals (or a number of individuals).

but the two can go whichever way except for collective now. e.g people of Lagos and not persons of lagos

Another e.g I need 20 persons. (very correct because they are coming individually in to a group)

But why the bashing?

He should prove them wrong with this?
The word people is not to be used with words of number, in place of persons. If of "six people" five went away, how many "people" would be left?
Re: A Brother Is Being Savaged By Some White Folks On Facebook Let's Go Rescue Him by gaby(m): 2:01pm On Jun 28, 2018
Hmmm nice tutorial.
Re: A Brother Is Being Savaged By Some White Folks On Facebook Let's Go Rescue Him by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jun 28, 2018
Homguy:
There wasn't any grammatical blunder in that statement.

Persons is a plural for person.
Persons and people can be used interchangeably.

Thanks.

The English is terrible for those that are properly schooled. But for an average Nigerian, you have no idea of the difference between spoken English and written English.

Note:
I want to personally coach 20 persons from July 1 - 30. Send me a DM if you want to be one of them. Time to begin your UPGRADE

Replace '20 persons' with 'twenty people.'

Replace 'Send me a DM if you want to be one of them' with 'Send me a DM if interested.'

Replace 'Time to begin your UPGRADE.' with 'It is time to upgrade'.

Correction: I want to coach twenty people on........................from 1st July to 30th july 2018. Send me a DM if interested. It is time to upgrade, or It is time for an uprade.

3 Likes

Re: A Brother Is Being Savaged By Some White Folks On Facebook Let's Go Rescue Him by blackpanter: 3:00pm On Jun 28, 2018
please go back to primary school
Re: A Brother Is Being Savaged By Some White Folks On Facebook Let's Go Rescue Him by Homguy(m): 5:02pm On Jun 28, 2018
Organism000:

The English is terrible for those that are properly schooled. But for an average Nigerian, you have no idea of the difference between spoken English and written English.

Note:
I want to personally coach 20 persons from July 1 - 30. Send me a DM if you want to be one of them. Time to begin your UPGRADE

Replace '20 persons' with 'twenty people.'

Replace 'Send me a DM if you want to be one of them' with 'Send me a DM if interested.'

Replace 'Time to begin your UPGRADE.' with 'It is time to upgrade'.

Correction: I want to coach twenty people on........................from 1st July to 30th july 2018. Send me a DM if interested. It is time to upgrade, or It is time for an uprade.
Thanks for your corrections.
However, I strongly feel his jesters' qualms about his use of "persons" instead of "people" is invalid.
While i concede that his sentences could have been better constructed , i am of the opinion that he was treated as such because he was black. Americans are generally very liberal with the English language, and this should be no exception.
Re: A Brother Is Being Savaged By Some White Folks On Facebook Let's Go Rescue Him by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jun 28, 2018
Homguy:
Thanks for your corrections.
However, I strongly feel his jesters' qualms about his use of "persons" instead of "people" is invalid.
While i concede that his sentences could have been better constructed , i am of the opinion that he was treated as such because he was black. Americans are generally very liberal with the English language, and this should be no exception.

There is truth in that too.
Re: A Brother Is Being Savaged By Some White Folks On Facebook Let's Go Rescue Him by meobizy(f): 3:30am On Oct 07, 2018
It seems he can't explain what service he plains to render. A simple explanation would have made them more compliant. Since he did none of that they went to town on him.

(1) (2) (Reply)

See What University Of Liverpool Put In Their School Premisis / Command Secondary Schools Are A Place Of Terror – Old Student Reveals / So What They Say About Igbo Men Is True! See What Was Spotted In Onitsha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.