Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,973 members, 7,963,096 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 05:41 AM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (107882 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jan 05, 2011
pls i want to study in any nice school in ghana or any w.africa (english speaking) country. do any body have detail of any school pls send me an email >chumaboy2010@yahoo.com or 2348133912296.thanks
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by denzel2009: 1:19pm On Jan 05, 2011
^^^^Charleee, wrong thread!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 1:50pm On Jan 05, 2011
adagz 01:

^u can say that again,

oya answer the Q, abeg naw

I know why you asked, though smiley

'not to talk of' is Nigerianism and . . . . wink

Formal versions: 'not to mention', 'let alone', e.t.c.

What about 'talkless of'? Correct?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:11pm On Jan 05, 2011
POSER.

Nouns and pronouns.

A girl is a 'she'.

A boy is a 'he'.

What about a baby?

Please help. wink
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 4:20pm On Jan 05, 2011
ola olabiy:

POSER.

Nouns and pronouns.

A girl is a 'she'.

A boy is a 'he'.

What about a baby?

Please help. wink
A baby boy or girl? If it's an unborn baby, I use 'it'.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 4:26pm On Jan 05, 2011
^^^Just a baby, Slap1 cool
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 4:30pm On Jan 05, 2011
^^^Baby in pram
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 6:24pm On Jan 05, 2011
The pronoun 'it' is used for a baby whose sex is still unknown. However, if the baby's gender is established, the relevant pronoun - 'he' or 'she' - is used.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:35pm On Jan 05, 2011
^^^
Thank you. You've explained it. That's the answer.

'It' replaces 'baby'.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 3:24am On Jan 06, 2011
What's the correct version? 'A gold fish can not be , ' Compliments.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by MaiSuya(m): 5:59am On Jan 09, 2011
ola olabiy:

What about 'talkless of'? Correct?

WRONG!!! That's another typical Nigerianism. like you said, it should be ''not to mention'', etc

By the way, happy new year!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 5:35pm On Jan 09, 2011
Thanks, Mai Suya.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Natasha2(f): 11:06pm On Jan 09, 2011
some people use these words extreme and
end together which is wrong
example; Please go to the extreme end.
this is wrong because extreme and end means the same thing
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:03am On Jan 11, 2011
Why do Americans call a game they don't play with their feet '[b]FOOT[/b]BALL'?

Please, help.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:29am On Jan 11, 2011
Natasha,,:

some people use these words extreme and
end together which is wrong
example; Please go to the extreme end.
this is wrong because extreme and end means the same thing

I am not sure about this.

What about:

'extreme tip'

'extreme edge'?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by blank(f): 10:50am On Jan 11, 2011
A friend once corrected me. She said its not "talkless of" that it is "talk more of".
Can dat be correct?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 5:31pm On Jan 11, 2011
^^ Yeah, your friend is right. You may also use 'let alone . . .'.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Busybody2(f): 8:47am On Jan 12, 2011
Yo yo yo, 'tsup ma peeps, where y'all at, right where were we, yeah i was about to correctly dissect Odunnu's bad English, its "you love quarell more than fight", or "you love quarelling . . ." huh, hang on a minute, something don't feel right, ain't feeling ma steeze yo shocked Huh, a suya selling aboki shocked a pregnant heifer shocked Delectable, Dazzing, Dashing Denzel2009 winner of Africa's Most Beautiful half-man half_adonis Contest from 2004 - date, nah, i must have mistakenly wandered into another School, surely tongue Oops sowwy effribody, I'm out embarassed

Merry Christmas everyone by the way *hic*, yo whats poppin for Boxing day, y'all feel me *hic* cool

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by MaiSuya(m): 11:10am On Jan 12, 2011
^^^^hmmm   shocked grin. . .apparently the inebriating effects of the Yuletide season are taking a rather long time to wane. . .just for the records, today is the 12th of January  wink

@slap1, I beg to disagree. 'talkmore of' , 'talkless of' have no place in SBE, and indeed cannot be found in any dictionary. 'How much more/less' is the acceptable form.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 5:30pm On Jan 12, 2011
^^ Noted, thanks. @Busy body, I think Odunnu used pidgin, not Standard English.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by blank(f): 6:03pm On Jan 12, 2011
Thanks, that will take some getting used to.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 6:58pm On Jan 12, 2011
Hi @blank.

'Talk more of' is NOT correct. Not even a bit of Nigerianism.

Thanks, Mai Suya
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 7:08pm On Jan 12, 2011
Busy_body:

Yo yo yo, 'tsup ma peeps, where y'all at, right where were we, yeah i was about to correctly dissect Odunnu's bad English, its "you love quarell more than fight", or "you love quarelling . . ." huh, hang on a minute, something don't feel right, ain't feeling ma steeze yo shocked Huh, a suya selling aboki shocked a pregnant heifer shocked Delectable, Dazzing, Dashing Denzel2009 winner of Africa's Most Beautiful half-man half_adonis Contest from 2004 - date, nah, i must have mistakenly wandered into another School, surely tongue Oops sowwy effribody, I'm out embarassed

Merry Christmas everyone by the way *hic*, yo whats poppin for Boxing day, y'all feel me *hic* cool

cheesy cheesy cheesy
You dey craze oo smiley smiley, mama Ryan.
Is Odunnu not allowed to speak pidgin again? Just because she's one of the mainstay of this thread?

Hilarious!

Punishment: you have to lay my bed tonight.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 7:11pm On Jan 12, 2011
slap1:

^^ Noted, thanks. @Busy body, I think Odunnu used pidgin, not Standard English.

We shouldn't have acknowledged her comment.

Odunnu's a jewel here. FACT!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:38pm On Jan 13, 2011
POSER.

Lagos is a city where only the wise survives.

Lagos is a city where only the wise survive.

Which one, please?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:45pm On Jan 13, 2011
POSER.

Have you read and understand the rules of Nairaland?

Have you read and understood the rules of Nairaland?

Which one, please?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 11:17am On Jan 14, 2011
Busy_body:

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Lolololol!
You be real busy body.(lol)
ola olabiy:

POSER.

Have you read and understand the rules of Nairaland?

Have you read and understood the rules of Nairaland?

Which one, please?
The second one. understood
ola olabiy:

POSER.

Lagos is a city where only the wise survives.

Lagos is a city where only the wise survive.

Which one, please?
the bolded is the correct one
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 7:07pm On Jan 14, 2011
Odunnu:

The second one. understood

Sorry for the confusion, Odunnu. I should have added 'or both'.
Both are correct.

The first one is correct especially when it relates to 'terms and conditions', 'agreements', 'rules', 'regulations', e.t.c.
The first one expects your 'understanding' of the said rules to be a 'continuous' one. Before and after reading/signing it. And when making calls that relate to the contract in question.

This is why in any contractual agreement with your bank, mobile/landline telehone operator, they use 'understand'.
Companies tend to use 'understand' (the present tense).

The one you chose is correct, as far as grammar is concerned.
It conforms with the rules of grammar.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 7:09pm On Jan 14, 2011
Odunnu:

the bolded is the correct one

Correct! Thanks, ma.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by blank(f): 7:42pm On Jan 14, 2011
I do not accept your answer. The first one cannot be correct! I am yet to read any contract that gives such licence for bad grammar. What is more prevalent is, "Have you read and do you understand the rules of Nairaland?"
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:35pm On Jan 14, 2011
blank:

I do not accept your answer. The first one cannot be correct! I am yet to read any contract that gives such licence for bad grammar. What is more prevalent is, "Have you read and do you understand the rules of Nairaland?"

You are right, Blank. I was taken aback when I moved to the UK. That's the style in the UK, at least. But, it is correct. Grammar is contextual.
Let me elaborate: Have you read and [now] understand the rules of Nairaland? Correct? Uhn?
Just ask those who live in the UK.

And, I will search for a copy online.

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (72) (Reply)

What Number Comes After Trillion? See The Name Of The World Largest Numbers / Ilaro Polytechnic Suspends Adegboye Olatunji, SUG President Over Cultism / Bnaira: Former UNILAG's Richest Boy (Then Vs Now Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.