Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,137 members, 7,936,532 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 03:35 PM

The So Called Lord’s Prayer Is Not A Relevant Prayer For Believers - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The So Called Lord’s Prayer Is Not A Relevant Prayer For Believers (503 Views)

The Significance of Tithing and Firstfruits for Believers / 'Laughing' Church Banner In Calabar By Believers' Right Ministry (Photo) / Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The So Called Lord’s Prayer Is Not A Relevant Prayer For Believers by Joyfulguy: 8:35am On Jul 21, 2019
Right interpretation of the most popular prayer among Christians will enhance the understanding of those who prays it. And as well having the right interpretation of the content of this prayer will do great service to Christians. The reality is that a wider range of people who prays the so called Lord’s Prayer do not understand it and do not know why they pray it.

And in the same vein many who are not praying cannot say for sure the reason for not praying it. Hence the cure to this unfortunate situation is putting in place a right interpretation of it. And by this, those who prays it will know if they should continue and those who do not will consider praying it or not. The Lord’s Prayer can be found in the gospels. It’s located in two out of the four gospels, namely Matthew and Luke. Let’s take from the gospel account of Matthew in the sixth chapter.

"After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.”

Matthew 6:9-1
However, before we decipher the account of Matthew to draw out the right interpretation, we should verify the account of Luke as well. The account and rendering of Luke states thus below;

“And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples. And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.”

Luke 11:1-4

It is very vivid from the Luke’s account and rendering that what prompted Jesus to teach His disciples these outlines of prayer was a request made by one of them. It shows that if the request was not made, Jesus probably wouldn’t have considered teaching them this outlines of prayer. Again another point to consider is the statement of one of his disciples which says “Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.”

This is statement is very striking because in it we find out that the request was made because John has done so to his disciples.

Click this link to continue reading:
https://www.talkingchristianityng.com/2019/07/18/right-interpretation-the-intricacies-of-the-lords-prayer/
Re: The So Called Lord’s Prayer Is Not A Relevant Prayer For Believers by reubenobi(m): 8:52am On Jul 21, 2019
Ok
Re: The So Called Lord’s Prayer Is Not A Relevant Prayer For Believers by Joyfulguy: 9:13am On Jul 21, 2019
reubenobi:
Are you sure of what you are saying?
If I'm not why did I post it? I think you should be the one to prove me wrong. And that is if you really understand what the write up is all about...
Re: The So Called Lord’s Prayer Is Not A Relevant Prayer For Believers by reubenobi(m): 9:19am On Jul 21, 2019
Joyfulguy:
If I'm not why did I post it? I think you should be the one to prove me wrong. And that is if you really understand what the write up is all about...
Now i get it

(1) (Reply)

Which State In Nigeria Has The Most Ugliest Girls/boy ....full Video / Pastor In Serious Boxing Combat With Demon Possesman During Deliverance Video / EXPOSED: I Love Pastor Chris And TB Joshua But They Are Bringing Evil To The Bod

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.