Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,234 members, 7,936,797 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 11:46 PM

Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? (23692 Views)

Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? / Is It Right For A Lady To Live Alone? / Is It Right For My Niece's Boyfriend To Visit Her In My House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by johnad3(m): 12:18pm On Nov 05, 2019
What has she sow? Has she taken her husband responsibilities for once freely? So, delete the word sow, abeg

paix:
I think it is wise she keeps the property in her name, because men can be funny at times. How is she sure that the husband doesn't have another wife elsewhere? Is it when he dies that that other woman would come and reap where she did not sow? It should be her choice absolutely, to have it joint or personalised.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by SendAbroad: 12:25pm On Nov 05, 2019
My response:

Before you marry, have everything called agreement written on paper. That is the best time to talk about these type of issues.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by omoharry(f): 12:30pm On Nov 05, 2019
okusebi:
I think, if the couples are legally married, except there is a prenup that says otherwise, all properties belong to both parties regardless of whose name is on the documents. if there is a divorce, the properties will be shared accordingly based on their resolution. most Nigerian women really don't know their marital rights.
This one wey you dey talk only applies when dem do court marriage oo! if na only Traditional and church..how you won fight am pass for this yeye country where case dey drag for years.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by omoharry(f): 12:46pm On Nov 05, 2019
femi4:
The man was occupied with school fees, house rent ...the woman should give it a joint name
What the hell are you talking about..? do you know women are silently sole providers in their various house holds without even a fly knowing about it? this they do quietly in other to support their husband. They do not say it out in other not to embarrass thier men, since society expect a man to be the provider of the family , while the women support the home.

Here you are talking as if you are still in the 80s and 90s. Things have really changed oo! I think these women should be celebrated for adding more work to their natural load that nature and society already expect them to do.

Let couples discuss and decide what works for them.,If the husband has an archaic mind set such as "women must not have properties in her name becos she is a wife whose dowry has been paid so what ever she get must be in the family name" then the woman must do the needful to protect herself and children from any unforeseen circumstances.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by PrincewithGod(m): 1:10pm On Nov 05, 2019
Human being always going against God's arrangement all in the name of sophistication.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Pussywar(f): 2:07pm On Nov 05, 2019
nlPoster:

1. I don't use sentiment where common sense works just as well. So I wont view an issue from a sentimental angle if doing so would expose me to scammers and vultures who consider me their lawful prey due to a sentimental nature.

2. The topic has nothing to do with me, I simply gave my opinion. I'm not saying I'm right, you do what works for you, likewise everybody else.

3. In this day and age, leave for your kids treasures that wont make them vulnerable targets for unscrupulous people, or people who have a grudge against them for whatever reason, especially if you know you give them the leeway and they (your kids) might not be prepared for the unleashing of such bitterness they might have been unaware of.

4. If you want your kids to have your property, then make sure you do everything required by law to make them your heirs and do not leave any loopholes others can exploit.

5. As I've mentioned before, Nigerians by nature are anarchists and they also believe the property of other people belongs to them. If you carelessly do not do all the necessary things required to protect your investments, then it's assumed it doesn't matter to you who gets them. In which case, they're considered free for all.

6. If you're one of those "jolly good fellow" types to whom the happiness of other people is more important than your well being (we've all been there), then in my opinion, dont be talking about property, just enjoy your own self and leave tomorrow to sort itself out. undecided

My thoughts.

" Scammers and vultures" is supposed to be me?
Lol. Said Common sense
Don't know what you said but okay
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Sprumbaba: 2:39pm On Nov 05, 2019
Lol. I keep mine in my name and she keeps hers. But the one we are living in is both names. Who cares. We are not after each others money.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Saintmary(f): 3:03pm On Nov 05, 2019
Lamanii22:
Before nko... All my properties would remain in my name.... It's hard to truss men these days...
Omo olomo laarin ero
Pesin pikin in a large crowd
They want to own the property I worked hard for. My properties are for my children, very simple.
I don't know if my opinion will change tomorrow, but as of today, this is my stance

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Lamanii22(f): 3:05pm On Nov 05, 2019
Saintmary:

Omo olomo laarin ero
Pesin pikin in a large crowd
They want to own the property I worked hard for. My properties are for my children, very simple.
I don't know if my opinion will change tomorrow, but as of today, this is my stance

Hehehehe... Wagbayii omo.... And they were attacking me as if no ooo... My opinion can never change...
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by ctleurocollege: 3:11pm On Nov 05, 2019
Nickshrapnel:
Are there any women who buy properties in their husband’s name?

Good question
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Saintmary(f): 3:15pm On Nov 05, 2019
Lamanii22:

Hehehehe... Wagbayii omo.... And they were attacking me as if no ooo... My opinion can never change...
Let me use the Bibles perspective
A good man leaves inheritance for his children's children (somewhere in Proverbs)
Any admonition the Bible gives to men also applies to women, so I will rephrase it:
A good woman leaves inheritance for her children's children.
I owe my kids to make their stay on earth as comfortable as possible.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Saintmary(f): 3:38pm On Nov 05, 2019
plasgidy:

Then you have no business with a man and marriage, you should keep hold of your property and stay off marriage cos marriage has a rule and guide if you are not ready to abide by that rule then what on earth are you looking for a man in your life for?

The bible says when husband and wife are joined together they becomes one not two, if you have properties before and after marriage is for both of you not yours alone now this is applicable to the man too. Any thing away from this will bring suspicion.
Wow, I came late. So who made you lord of marriages to decide who should marry or not. All these people using God's Word to oppress women. Whoever buys properties should keep them and leave them to their kids, whether married or not. Marriage is not an excuse for laziness, neither is it an excuse to prevent women from feeling fulfilment over their hard life's work. This is an inexcusable injustice!!!
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by okusebi(m): 7:06pm On Nov 05, 2019
not really, there are different types of marriage in Nigeria and they are all recognized by law. even the marriage in the church, they still signs marriage documents. Not all churches have authority to wed couples. If you marry in the church, the church will give you forms to fill that will be sent to the registry for documentation. There is nothing like court marriage, it's just signing of papers, which you can do in traditional or church. you need to get the right information
omoharry:
This one wey you dey talk only applies when dem do court marriage oo! if na only Traditional and church..how you won fight am pass for this yeye country where case dey drag for years.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Deepthoughts: 7:46pm On Nov 05, 2019
Ipodisacriminal:

Don’t be inferior bro

Even monkey aspire good for things
It's never the case of been inferior, it's simply been realistic,for me to have a good thing with endless problems it's better I have something manageable with a peace of mind, it's said that fools learn from experience but the wise learn from history.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Ipodisacriminal: 7:51pm On Nov 05, 2019
Deepthoughts:
It's never the case of been inferior, it's simply been realistic,for me to have a good thing with endless problems it's better I have something manageable with a peace of mind, it's said that fools learn from experience but the wise learn from history.

If that’s your belief so shall it be

As for we,we aspire better and great things
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Deepthoughts: 7:58pm On Nov 05, 2019
Ipodisacriminal:

If that’s your belief so shall it be

As for we,we aspire better and great things
Good luck.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Lamanii22(f): 12:53pm On Nov 06, 2019
Saintmary:

Let me use the Bibles perspective
A good man leaves inheritance for his children's children (somewhere in Proverbs)
Any admonition the Bible gives to men also applies to women, so I will rephrase it:
A good woman leaves inheritance for her children's children.
I owe my kids to make their stay on earth as comfortable as possible.

Washeyre.... Jaree... Your head dey there... You see even the scriptures can testify to that...
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by OsbornTyler7: 3:14pm On Aug 23, 2022
Ukraine women dating are known for their unusual beauty and femininity. They have also been admired for their traditional values and respect for women. It is vital for men who wish to date a Ukrainian woman to learn about their culture and heritage. The country has a rich history and diverse geography, with breathtaking scenery in the Carpathian Mountains. Ukrainian culture is reflected in its art, food, and music. Knowing more about their heritage can help men establish a connection with them and gain the respect of their women.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Share Your Crazy Experiences With Last Borns / How To Know If Your Mother Is A Nigerian / First Born Like Us, Na Responsibilities Dey Rush Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.