Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,979 members, 7,960,100 topics. Date: Friday, 27 September 2024 at 01:01 PM

Why You Must Visit The Kalakuta Museum At Least Once - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why You Must Visit The Kalakuta Museum At Least Once (550 Views)

Visit To Fela Kuti's Kalakuta Museum / Top 5 Beaches Every Lagosian Must Visit / 7 Places You Must Visit As An Adult In Your Lifetime! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Must Visit The Kalakuta Museum At Least Once by hawtjedi(f): 4:19pm On Dec 02, 2019
I remember the day of Fela’s death like it was yesterday. I was only 4 years old at the time but I knew something terrible had happened. I remember hearing that Fela was sick before that time and that he refused to go to a hospital.

The Kalakuta Museum can be classified as a specialty museum in that it focuses on one subject area, which is the life and times of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti.

Until his death in 1997, Fela Kuti was a Nigerian musician and activist whose life and death was riddled with a lot of controversies. Also known as “Abami Eda” Fela used the lyrical content of his music to criticize Military rulers, particularly Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo.

To this day, a number of young musicians and activists ascribe their courage to Fela’s ideas and they have gone on to sample a number of his works. Case in Point, Burna Boy, Wizkid, Tu Baba and a host of other artists.

History of the Kalakuta Museum

The current location of the Kalakuta museum served as Fela’s abode while he was alive. Almost everything Fela touched and used in his last days has been preserved in this space. From his toothbrush and soap to his pants and shoes, everything is on display at this museum to help you understand and relive life through Fela’s eyes.

In 1974, Fela was thrown into prison for “corruption of minors and possession of cannabis”. He spent 11 months in a cell called ‘Kalakuta’ and that was where the name “Kalakuta Republic” was born. Upon his release, the music icon renamed his residence in Ikeja Kalakuta Republic.

To read more, visit: https://www.jadesunfilteredlife.com/visit-the-fela-kalakuta-museum-ikeja
Re: Why You Must Visit The Kalakuta Museum At Least Once by 5thAngel(f): 4:37pm On Dec 02, 2019
Ok. so I'll visit a museum to see someone's underwear. Ngwanu, no problem.
I wonder when we'll stop supporting mediocrity.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Visit The Kalakuta Museum At Least Once by Aidejay(m): 1:34pm On Dec 03, 2019
Haven't you heard of penis and vagina museums?
What of museum of broken relationships or museum of noodles what of dog collar museum, museum of death, British lawnmower museum, Barney Smith toilet seat art museum among others
Let me guess if it isn't by a white skinned person it's mediocrity

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Visit The Kalakuta Museum At Least Once by nlPoster: 1:51pm On Dec 03, 2019
Couldn't it be in a glass display case?

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Visit The Kalakuta Museum At Least Once by hawtjedi(f): 3:38pm On Dec 11, 2019
There were some in the glass case but there were some displayed as is. I think they tried to leave things the way they were when he died.

nlPoster:
Couldn't it be in a glass display case?

(1) (Reply)

The World Longest Walkable Road / How Difficult Is To Win A Scholarship To Study Economics Degree Abroad / My Nigerian Great Grandfather, NWAUBANI OGOGO ORIAKU Greatest Slave Trader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.