Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,913 members, 7,959,861 topics. Date: Friday, 27 September 2024 at 08:52 AM

Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation (69806 Views)

My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" / Ghanaian Landlord Drinks Beer After His Arrest For Land Scam (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by addexx: 1:18pm On Jan 16, 2020
MrBrownJay1:
what about them stinky indians and their food... is that one ok?!

u cant afford to be racist too. youre black!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by maasoap(m): 1:19pm On Jan 16, 2020
BlackSeptember:
I love my Nigerian foods anyday and anywhere.

P. S I mean Afang and not ewedu biko.

Yoruba people can cook smelly food with that iru or that funny smell they mix in their soup which makes them to fart

As you made me understand now, you and your people don't fart. Which language is "fart" again? Orí n dùn ẹ.
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Empiree: 1:27pm On Jan 16, 2020
While I respect her preference, housing discrimination is illegal. Europeans cook smelly food as well. Restaurants, McDonald's, Domino's, Burger king etc all smell and people from all race and color go there.

But to say Africans food smell is kind problematic for me to accept her claim for refusing rental. If I catch that woman, ehen....

[img]https://i./Ltnj.gif[/img]

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by sharpwriter(m): 1:28pm On Jan 16, 2020
oochi123:
..locust bean. But grinded and moulded.

Lol... Thanks dear...

If it's grinded, moulded and also pasty, then it's called irupete in Yoruba... While the ungrounded and separated locust beans is just iru...

The grinded locust beans dey get strong smell sha grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by holicupp(m): 1:32pm On Jan 16, 2020
naija is a joke big time

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by bedfordking: 1:39pm On Jan 16, 2020
Openbusiness:
That's not racism. People have preferences. She only wants to rent to Europeans. Nothing wrong with that.

it is only an ignorant person that can post this .

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by midnighter(f): 1:42pm On Jan 16, 2020
Gmajor:
The most shocking thing about this article is that someone left Gambia and went all the way to London just to study performing arts.
What a waste of time and money.

The article said he grew up in England. It's his parents who came from Gambia

That may be the same thing they said to him when he told them he was going for performing arts, though. We are a bit narrow-minded about these things

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Neoteny(m): 1:44pm On Jan 16, 2020
MrBrownJay1:
what about them stinky indians and their food... is that one ok?!

Now you're being racist too, hypocrite.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Kennyswag: 1:45pm On Jan 16, 2020
Earlystar698:
If you leave with Yoruba people you will understand the kind smell cheesy... At times I wonder if they use to rub shit in their body when cocking..
rip english gringrin
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by midnighter(f): 1:46pm On Jan 16, 2020
OiOi:
It's her home and she deserves good health... Although people might want to say it's racism

She shouldn't have said it like that...there are ways to reject somebody you don't want to live with for any particular reason.

Anyway you can close the door, turn on the extractor fan or open a window when cooking depending on the type of house.

It's true that we have very strong smelling foods that may turn her stomach if she's not used to them but there was no need to implicate herself with such a silly comment.
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by midnighter(f): 1:49pm On Jan 16, 2020
SEGLIZ:

here we go, what has Indians got to do with this?
you just ended up practicing what you were condemning.

Indian food has a very distinct smell that can stick in the house, on your clothes or skin for days.

The enlightened ones among them try to cook in the garage
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by midnighter(f): 1:51pm On Jan 16, 2020
lahizak:
Lolz. White people don suffer. Everytime dey said something about africans or blacks they are been termed racist. Her house, her rules. Come africa and see different rules made by landlord den u go change ur mind

That we practice stupidity in the name of "landlord" doesn't make it right.

We are supposed to have stronger tenancy laws here if we were civilised
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by midnighter(f): 1:56pm On Jan 16, 2020
Commentor:

Her statement from Facebook says only Europeans.

You can argue what you like in court but if it is found to be discriminatory she could wind up in jail.

Exactly. She has no right to assume what the fellow is going to cook, anyhow. How does she know the European she brings won't be a Dutch guy who once stayed in Port Harcourt and fell in love with native soup

There's nothing to argue here, the woman is very stupid. Maybe not even English but a peasant European from some racist country

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Kennyswag: 1:57pm On Jan 16, 2020
Earlystar698:
Your health performance is poor that is why you don't feel comfortable with us grin don't you see how Davido is looking fresh each minutes why because he have Igbo partner grin grin
what about peter okoye? Green goatgringrin
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by midnighter(f): 2:00pm On Jan 16, 2020
AreaFada2:

I suspect the landlady is not British. Likely from Eastern Europe. They do not yet have the more sophisticated "coded" way the British use to discriminate.

A British person would have said "the viewer who came to see it yesterday has just confirmed by phone they will take the room. Sorry for the journey here". Or something along those lines. cheesy grin

Exactly. No native British person talks like that. They will code it very well

I strongly suspect the woman is from some Slavic country where there are very few people of colour and was feeling superior to utter that kind of illiterate statement.
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by midnighter(f): 2:02pm On Jan 16, 2020
alexola20:
It's nothing new.Many pink/white Europeans share the same sentiment.
I am married with one them too.And she has the same stupid asss view.
I mean she hardly eats my food.

She complains of spicy/chilli in the food while my little daughter will eat effortlessly.

That always reminds me that you marry a woman doesn't make her your family or part of you.

Lol cook a separate stew without pepper na. Not everybody can cope with spices
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by OiOi: 2:02pm On Jan 16, 2020
midnighter:

She shouldn't have said it like that...there are ways to reject somebody you don't want to live with for any particular reason.

Anyway you can close the door, turn on the extractor fan or open a window when cooking depending on the type of house.

It's true that we have very strong smelling foods that may turn her stomach if she's not used to them but there was no need to implicate herself with such a silly comment.
it was just my opinion. It may truly not have a bearing factor on the actual account.
But the truth is no one will want to compromise their health
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Jugo88: 2:13pm On Jan 16, 2020
D elena hot sha. What my dick go do ehn! grin
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by midnighter(f): 2:16pm On Jan 16, 2020
OiOi:
it was just my opinion. It may truly not have a bearing factor on the actual account.
But the truth is no one will want to compromise their health

Your point is valid, it's just that she had no right to discriminate outwardly based on his nationality.

You don't have to accommodate anybody in your house if it's not what you want, she was just making a point of being spiteful to assert her racial superiority on the guy.
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by salford: 2:22pm On Jan 16, 2020
When someone says I am not racist. That person definitely is. My experience from living in the UK and Canada.
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Heeyhun(f): 2:22pm On Jan 16, 2020
This particular thread is one of the reasons I don’t come on nairaland anymore....it used to reek of bigotry and sadly, it still reeks.
Someone’s said African food smells and some of you are being tribalistic about that. Tueh. A black man is a black man’s plague.

Are you people dumb? Meals will have a certain kind of odour, particularly when it’s not indigenous to you. Asians/South Asians use a lot of fermented fish and soy sauce, it doesn’t smell great to me, but they love it...the same way we love iru or ogiri.

If every homeowner discriminates against tenants based on what they cook, I wonder how Africans will get homes to live in the UK. Some of you know nothing about getting discriminated against based on sampling a few people in a population...it hurts and it is demeaning.

In Asia, some people hold their breath when they walk past Africans because they feel we smell, or they keep a distance from you when they manage to talk to you. They don’t care if you’re Kenyan or Igbo, you are all black people and you smell.

Africans are never united....and it is annoying. A misinformed white person says something and ya’ll wag your little tails and diss yourselves based on their nonsense comments.

Nairaland should be a place where we are in unison, foreigners come on this page and they see the hatred amongst you guys. People that don’t love themselves expect to be treated well when they leave the shores of the country. I feel so sorry for you bigots.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by salford: 2:25pm On Jan 16, 2020
Rekhina:
Amala ewedu cooking... point of correction
Amala and ewedu do not even smell. If it's ewedu, then she will not have to rent to middle Eastern too as it's a common food in North Africa and the Mediterranean.
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by 360command: 2:27pm On Jan 16, 2020
NaijadrivaCars:
I wonder what part of Nigeria does their food smell I know that ofe Nsala, Oha, Egusi Etc do not smell but has good aroma. Maybe they can't Cook or obu Ndi ihe no na mmanu tongue

Na wa for that Landlord sha angry
bro, what you call aroma is what people say it smells.. if you travel, you will know.. the food we eat tells alot of how our body would smell eventually, that is why I do make it necessary to eat fruits,vegetables, salad.

My Mexican girl once came to my place, I was cooking soup and she said "what is that smell"?. Keep in mind that I have heard people of other race say such things about the African food having a smell.. so when this Mexican girl told me the same thing, I accepted that truly the African food smells..

To other race with their kind of food, it also smells but less. I believe their food or seeds have been genetically modified thereby such smell isn't there too much.
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by fowlyansh181(m): 2:28pm On Jan 16, 2020
a land lady is being called out for being racist and stating that Nigerian houses smell of what they cook, but instead Nigerians are here, fighting each other and being tribalistic to each other.. bunch of dingbats

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by salford: 2:29pm On Jan 16, 2020
bizhop01:
Even stockfish can smell for Africa
and stockfish is imported from Europe.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by midnighter(f): 2:30pm On Jan 16, 2020
salford:

Amala and ewedu do not even smell. If it's ewedu, then she will not have to rent to middle Eastern too as it's a common food in North Africa and the Mediterranean.

Ohhh...so ewedu and molokhiya are actually the same thing
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by salford: 2:36pm On Jan 16, 2020
decub:

I don't think it's racism. She was explicit and anyone can understand her reasons; she doesn't want people from a particular race because of the smell of their food and seriously, some Nigerian spices (iru and ogiri) could make you take certain decisions cos u don't want to inconvenience the other tenant(s). She already knows she can't tell you the type of food you would cook as her tenant so she would rather prevent it in the first place. Also, some people are not considerate of others when using such stinking stuff that they leave exposed for a long time.

Even as a Nigerian and a lover of local delicacies, I hate those 2 stuffs I just mentioned.
it's the same way some of us hate the smell of crayfish, but does that mean we should deny others rent because of the smell of crayfish?

When I was a student in England, I had a roommate from the SE of Nigeria that puts an enormous amount of crayfish in everything he cooks. The whole flat smells of crayfish, but other flatmates (i.e. Nigerian, British and Asian) never got angry but tolerated his cooking.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by salford: 2:36pm On Jan 16, 2020
midnighter:

Ohhh...so ewedu and molokhiya are actually the same thing
yes. It's the same thing.
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by salford: 2:42pm On Jan 16, 2020
AreaFada2:

I suspect the landlady is not British. Likely from Eastern Europe. They do not yet have the more sophisticated "coded" way the British use to discriminate.

A British person would have said "the viewer who came to see it yesterday has just confirmed by phone they will take the room. Sorry for the journey here". Or something along those lines. cheesy grin
absolutely. That is why she said Europeans. A British won't even use the word European.
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by OnyesomJ(m): 2:52pm On Jan 16, 2020
Nigeria food Aroma go make you go Gaga for Hunger grin

Oyibo when their food be like poo

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Legendguru: 3:34pm On Jan 16, 2020
Oh
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jan 16, 2020
And the award for the smell prize goes to "akpu na iru"

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Beautiful Architectural Designs You Won't See In Nigeria / Man Building Bottle House In Kaduna (Photos) / My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.