Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,851 members, 7,962,801 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 04:59 PM

Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed (13213 Views)

Wike Gradually Losing Grip Of PDP Members In Rivers / Dahiru Mangal And His Grip On Nigeria Customs Service.. / Wikileaks Said It Has 4,598 Cables Originating From Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 8:31am On Dec 09, 2010
oyb said:

as stated earlier, that is a business practice.

do you think dangote and co do not do the same

Shell , MTN Dangote etal have taken the measure of our leaders and regulators and acted accordingly.

multinationals all over the world do this. as said before, it is up to leaders to do the right thing.

outside of the us, microsoft is heavily regulated . all sorts of terms imposed by the eu.

Stop calling Dangote. Has Dangote polluted a third of the country and bribed local officials to look the other way? Has Dangote siphoned and under declared millions of barrels in capital flight out of the country amounting to billions of dollars annually while bugging offices of ministries, and making veiled assassination threats to officials for non-compliance?

If he has then by all means, arrest him.

Nigerians MUST be sensitized to the criminal actions of these firms, foreign or otherwise. The country they are despoiling belongs to us, not to govt officials. You cannot tell us it is all ''normal business practice''.

That's Bullshiit.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by strangerf: 8:34am On Dec 09, 2010
oyb:

more like united republics of shell-mobil-chevron-mtn-airtel-etisalat-dstv-dangote-jubaili-etc nigeria

Do you mean: URSMCMADDJ

Hmm, works for me!
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kilode1: 8:35am On Dec 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

You asked the question - I simply provided a possible answer.

I mean it  just seems really weak that all we seem to do is FAKE outrageous at the same news year after year and month after month.

I understand the frustration and I get sick of it sometimes myself, but you don't accuse a stranger of doing nothing without any evidence though. you don't know me but, I get your point.

I gave a practical advice to Oyinda a few posts back. We all have a role to play in every small way, I'm sure you are not posting and reading this thread because you don't want change or unwilling to push for it. You are speaking to hearts and minds, that is better than doing nothing. I believe there are benefits derived from these seemingly benign exchanges.

I will take a loudmouthed do-nothing who keeps repeating the issue over a docile unaware Nigerian any day. There are times for little actions and there will be time for big ones.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by oyinda3(f): 8:37am On Dec 09, 2010
fyneguy:

This is what happens to countries popping Champagne because they are exporting RAW MATERIALS!

You only pop Champagne when you can convert your raw materials to finished products! Then and only then, can you break the
Slavery chain tied to your tail by neo-colonialists!

converting raw material into finished products is just the second step.  becoming rich enough to be able to send the manufacturing process offshore is now the ideal.
countries creating finished products are 2nd tier slaves nowadays lol
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kobojunkie: 8:40am On Dec 09, 2010
Kilode?!:

I understand the frustration and I get sick of it sometimes myself, but you don't accuse a stranger of doing nothing without any evidence though. you don't know me but, I get your point.
Dude, I didn’t accuse you of anything, I simply posted a response to YOUR OWN QUESTION. Not frustration, more amazement that some of the very same set of people who discussed this same the last time it was in the news, now feign ignorance of the very same, that has been going on for decades right under their noses, so they can once again avoid tackling the real issues. grin

Kilode?!:

I gave a practical advice to Oyinda a few posts back. We all have a role to play in every small way, I'm sure you are not posting and reading this thread because you don't want change or unwilling to push for it. You are speaking to hearts and minds, that is better than doing nothing. I believe there are benefits derived from these seemingly benign exchanges.
Sure, I don’t know about you but I have seen people give the same advice for over 5 years at least, and how much has been done since then? I think the reality speaks volumes.

Kilode?!:

I will take a loudmouthed do-nothing who keeps repeating the issue over a docile unaware Nigerian any day. There are times for little actions and there will be time for big ones.
When you get to that time, let me know. cheesy . This report reveals nothing new – this issue has been discussed at least 20 times in the past 5 years online, and possible 100 times more in our beer palours and mamaput joints in the same period.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by strangerf: 8:41am On Dec 09, 2010
ROSSIKE:

oyb said:

Stop calling Dangote. Has Dangote polluted a third of the country and bribed local officials to look the other way? Has Dangote siphoned and under declared millions of barrels in capital flight out of the country amounting to billions of dollars annually while bugging offices of ministries, and making veiled assassination threats to officials for non-compliance?

Nigerians MUST be sensitized to the criminal actions of these firms, foreign or otherwise. The country they are despoiling belongs to us, not to govt officials. You cannot tell us it is all ''normal business practice''.

That's Bullshiit.

When Dangote, along with Adenuga and Atiku, funded OBJ's re-election campaign in 2003 with 200 million naira, what do you think he was doing? Saving lives?

Omo boy, dont let them pull a fast one on you.

Dangote is just as guity as shell, if not more by virtue of the fact that he is a Nigerian.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 8:43am On Dec 09, 2010
ROSSIKE:

oyb said:

That's Bullshiit.

maybe you should take the time to read through my other posts where i mentioned ibru and akingbola.

stop looking for the easy way out - i am not referring to dangote in particular; that should be clear to you if you're not looking to score cheap points

what do you call the billions of depositors funds that ibru was squandering, and which would have been lost in the crash of oceanic if cbn had not stepped in? is that not a financial equivalent of an environmental disaster?

local oil companies trucks are catching fire and killing people everyday - no one is sanctioning them . lasg is trying to put some sort of framework in place - one can also assume that several state governments have been compromised by local oilcos

stop  the easy whining of blaming your woes on others

thats is nigerians biggest problem. the chicken's way out. these multinationals ae all over the world in several countries. take a cue from brazil 's leadership, who don't sit on their asses whining about western imperialism .
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kilode1: 8:46am On Dec 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Dude, I didn’t accuse you of anything, I simply posted a response to YOUR OWN QUESTION.
Sure, I don’t know about you but I have seen people give the same advice for over 5 years at least, and how much has been done since then? I think the reality speaks volumes.
When you get to that time, let me know. cheesy . This report reveals nothing new – this issue has been discussed at least 20 times in the past 5 years online, and possible 100 times more in our beer palours and mamaput joints in the same period. 

and you replied thus;
You could always do the same thing you have done in most all other cases, NOTHING! That is always an option

That's your opinion of what I do, Lady, Let's not prolong the argument, I got you point, I believe you got mine. if you don't, that's fine. I believe we are on the same side here.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kobojunkie: 8:48am On Dec 09, 2010
Kilode?!:

and you replied thus;
That's your opinion of what I do, Lady, Let's not prolong the argument, I got you point, I believe you got mine. if you don't, that's fine. I believe we are on the same side here.

WOW . . . you seem to think that is about YOU. Again, it was NOT about YOU . Here is me rephrasing that to make you happier.

You could always do the same thing majority of NIGERIANS have done in most all other cases, NOTHING! That is always an option

hope this makes you feel better!
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by strangerf: 8:53am On Dec 09, 2010
Trust Kobojunkie to always create drama when there shouldnt be any.

She knows how to snatch e-fights from the jaws of e-peace

Kobo: I hail thee o
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kilode1: 8:55am On Dec 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

WOW . . . you seem to think that is about YOU. Again, it was NOT about YOU . Here is me rephrasing that to make you happier.

hope this makes you feel better!

Haba, this lady sef, I gave you an opportunity to rephrase as soon as I saw it now, it's quoted below, cheesy any way let's stay on topic. I appreciate the clarification. Like i said, I believe we are on the same side.

Kilode?!:

You mean me personally? or "YOU" as in the people of Nigeria collectively? because I'm not sure you know me enough to know if I do nothing Madam Kobojunkie
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kobojunkie: 8:59am On Dec 09, 2010
ROSSIKE:

oyb said:

That's Bullshiit.

Classic @Rossike . . . . Move the goalpost around as it suits you   . . .  ROFLMAO!!
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 9:05am On Dec 09, 2010
hey, i just remebered - is this nt the same govt that was begging coercing multinationals to pay for nigeria at 50 adverts?

who are those shouting despoil when our govt is bending over willingly
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by carnal: 9:05am On Dec 09, 2010
I am very sure alot of people like me who hv been in shell b4(for 12yrs) and still there will not be surprise in anyway atall.Shell and other multinationals run our govt. i hv also said dis to ppl,look d current minister of Petroleum is a product of shell,shell secondee ppl to practically all ministries in nigeria includin the defence H/Q. our govt. cannot slip off their grip suddenly de undastand 9ja business and play it well but it is left for d next generation to change thins.wat we hv reads in wikileaks is minor compare to wat mite still b hidden.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 9:22am On Dec 09, 2010
What's probably most annoying to me is Shell as a business group having the knowledge of a surface to air missile being sent to militants in the creeks and i guess even our own sss would not even be aware of that and yet the FG funds them, our security apparatus has been reduced to the role of bodyguards to government officials and corporate organizations, how the hell would shell have spies in every ministry and their spies know what's happening in government, that means the spies are pretty high in government circles, for shell to learn verbatim the discussion of a minister or know that ajumogobia had deals with russia and china for oil deals is very alarming, for heavens sake this is just a corporation i wonder what countries like USA or China would have on us.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by jmaine: 9:30am On Dec 09, 2010
DapoBear:

Is this all that Nigerians want to do? Pray that things turn out better, rather than taking some sort of action? I weep for this land.

It sounds funny when people stay far away and take delight in sitting behind the computer making stern utterances like this. Why don't you start showing us the action in your own small way. i guess you are also the coward you so want to paint others with.

ROSSIKE:

oyb said:

That's Bullshiit.

OYB was very correct, heard the story of how Benue cement was sold to Dangote in very controversial circumstances when there were better bids, what about the sale of the port harcourt refinery to dangote for a paltry =N= 500m which attracted public outcry before the sale was rescinded. All major investors practice sniffing to have an edge in a competitive environment. Privileged information and acting quickly on it will give you an advantage over your competitors. The banking sector also had this tale when a purported bank had a privileged information of the plan by the CBN to devalue the naira during a meeting with all the state Governors. The bank acted swiftly by investing massively in the forex market courting huge profits to the ire of their peers. who was the informant in this case ? A state governor.

So Bro. . there are more organization like shell in the country simply devising means of being ahead of competition either through diplomatic and undiplomatic means. Don't whip the colonial angle to far cos the indigenous are equally as guilty as the multinationals. Shell is just one among the whole lot which the Govt must strive to stem their influence on policy matters.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kobojunkie: 9:33am On Dec 09, 2010
babasoty:

What's probably most annoying to me is Shell as a business group having the knowledge of a surface to air missile being sent to militants in the creeks and i guess even our own sss would not even be aware of that and yet the FG funds them, our security apparatus has been reduced to the role of bodyguards to government officials and corporate organizations, how the hell would shell have spies in every ministry and their spies know what's happening in government, that means the spies are pretty high in government circles, for shell to learn verbatim the discussion of a minister or know that ajumogobia had deals with russia and china for oil deals is very alarming, for heavens sake this is just a corporation i wonder what countries like USA or China would have on us.
I know many are not used to thinking critically about these things - it is still considered foreign behavior - but what the heck. If you think about the situation, it actually is to the benefit of such companies like Shell to take on the role that the SSS has long refused. These companies operate in high risk areas and it makes sense that over the years, they have learnt to infiltrate government so they can not only stay ahead of the dirty politicians but also protect their investment,and their people. I doubt shell is having to practice the same level of spying in other countries of operation.

It is too easy to blast Shell and claim Shell and other multinationals are the problem in all this. Ignoring the main problems in our system is reason why 12 years after, we are still dealing with many of the same problems we claimed existed only because we had the military in charge.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by edoyad(m): 9:36am On Dec 09, 2010
[bnquote] What's probably most annoying to me is Shell as a business group having the knowledge of  a surface to air missile being sent to  militants in the creeks and i guess even our  own sss would not even be aware of that and  yet the FG funds them, our security apparatus has been reduced to the role of bodyguards  to government officials and corporate  organizations, how the hell would shell have  spies in every ministry and their spies know  what's happening in government, that means  the spies are pretty high in government  circles, for shell to learn verbatim the  discussion of a minister or know that  ajumogobia had deals with russia and china  for oil deals is very alarming, for heavens  sake this is just a corporation i wonder what  countries like USA or China would have on us.[quote][/quote]

Govt funds the security apparatus ? With how much ?
You can hear they have govt ministers in their pockets and you're blaming civil servants who make a little above minimum wage ? Any time the security apparatus warns the govt about certain matters what do they executive do about it ?
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by trooperz(m): 9:45am On Dec 09, 2010
Jesus wont come and save you. If you like pray till you convulse,

The only way the white man will leave you alone is if you pursue him spiritually,

He has brainwashed you, told you lies, insulted your ancestors. angry

Invoke African Gods on the white man an see him flee! or keep praying to Jesus, he wont come on a white horse with chariots, save yourself. angry cry

Let the Federal government call a secret meeting of all the Juju priest in Nigeria and in Diaspora. Our brothers in Ghana, Kenya, Soweto, Timbuktu, Sudan,

Congo etc. must participate in this event to liberate Africa. angry

The only white man you can trust, is a dead white man---Robert Mugabe. angry
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 9:46am On Dec 09, 2010
I doubt shell is having to practice the same level of spying in other countries of operation.

when in rome, do as the romans do

what nigerian politician understands - this facility here will be better for your constituents - no what they want is this mecedes g wagon will be better for you

businesses everywhere take the measure of the people they are dealing with and act accordingly

its just that the average nigerian - and that sadly goes for 99% of nigerians , as the gej furore and the reinvention of mend, relabelling of okah, turning of bribe to due and customary is not driven by anything other than pure self interest.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by hercules07: 9:54am On Dec 09, 2010
What I have got out of the wikileaks so far.

1) Jonathan is a weak leader, Nigeria will be better if we install his wife, at least she has some backbone

2) The US wants free and fair elections in Nigeria, our leaders do not

3) Abdusalami is a honorable thief, he was there to hold the nation together when Jonathan was acting chicken.

4) Dambazzau (sp) was neutral ( Yar adua peeps probably had something on him)

5) Shell is a bastard organisation ( Say hello to Capitalism)
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by eherbal(m): 9:58am On Dec 09, 2010
shell,shell,shell.no wahala,we will 'mend' their ways by shelling them ;d
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by desgiezd(m): 9:59am On Dec 09, 2010
Its so sad that Shell appears more powerful than our government, this must not continue.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 10:02am On Dec 09, 2010
Govt funds the security apparatus ? With how much ?
You can hear they have govt ministers in their pockets and you're blaming civil servants who make a little above minimum wage ? Any time the security apparatus warns the govt about certain matters what do they executive do about it ?

Do the FBI and CIA folks in the states earn more that the politicians over there at capitol hill, or do the guys at M15 and M16 earn more than the politicians in Britain, what about the guys in Mossad do they earn more than the members of the knesset, nope, I can consider the fact that government isn't funding technological know how of these departments but it happens everywhere, its been a big battle to spend on defence and the the folks at langley and the pentagon has been enmeshed with congress for increase in defence spending same thing in the UK and everywhere, its not always about government spending also patriotism for your country comes into play, politicians even in advanced countries are stooges for big corporations, but does that always compromise the duties of the man in field, no way cus he does it for his country even if he curses the politicians that make life difficult for him, and that's something we all lack in Nigeria, we tend to always blame the government and compromise our commitment to our country.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 10:12am On Dec 09, 2010
1) Jonathan is a weak leader, Nigeria will be better if we install his wife, at least she has some backbone

Accepting one's failure at that moment isn't weakness, for me I think he was honourable and honest to himself and others, the death of Yar'dua threw him in to the open and to be quite frank he handled it as best as he could, there was a lot of confusion at that moment but the fact that he wasn't too ambitious saved the situation, imagine a situation in which there was a power tussle with turai, there could have been a coup, you were quick to call him weak but never read where in-spite of all he promised electoral reforms and even said he doesn't wanna contest unless called upon to, for me after reading that cable though i'd give him some knocks for openly admitting his issues to a foreign diplomat i'd also give him some kudo's for having a clear purpose and determination right from the onset on what could help salvage this country----CREDIBLE ELECTIONS
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by tokunbobo(m): 10:20am On Dec 09, 2010
Where are we going in this country? God help us in Nigeria o.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Beaf: 10:22am On Dec 09, 2010
[size=14pt]How did Shell know about the delivery of 3 surface to air missiles to militants?[/size]

Did they order the missiles themselves through back routes? If so, for what purposes?

We need to put our thinking caps on because, that is not the sort of thing normal companies deal with. It is an extraordinary and highly alarming piece of info. Highly alarming.
We have a very dangerous company and an explosive situation on our hands.

What really is Shell?

And lest we forget, there are others involved, even though not to the extent of Shell. Chevron is worth a mention.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kobojunkie: 10:24am On Dec 09, 2010
desgiezd:

Its so sad that Shell appears more powerful than our government, this must not continue.

Please do not mention next that the same government that probably created the void which probably forced Shell, an oil company, into the spying business, should go in and tell Shell to stop . . . ROFLMAO!!
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 10:29am On Dec 09, 2010
desgiezd:

It happens almost eveywhere when these greedy giant companies are left to operate without supervision.GM and American banks are examples.just that we are fcked in handling these companies.no sanction !
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by babalawo(m): 10:29am On Dec 09, 2010
[size=15pt]Africa my Africa!
Who will free thee from thy complex?
Shell (British) in Nigeria shelling your oil
French in Côte d'Ivoire turning the country over because of chocolate-cocoa beans
Nigerians let your brothers  form Congo tell u what Total oil is doing to her economy.
Go to the pub in Madrid and see the beauty of Equatorial Guineas’ forest trees
Africans don’t be insulted .How do you prove that u’re not Sub human.
Brother, you don’t need to further live in further confusion
Simply tell the whole world and accept that you are subhuman![/size][size=15pt]
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 10:32am On Dec 09, 2010
oyb said:

That's Bullshiit.

maybe you should take the time to read through my other posts where i mentioned ibru and akingbola.

stop looking for the easy way out - i am not referring to dangote in particular; that should be clear to you if you're not looking to score cheap points

what do you call the billions of depositors funds that ibru was squandering, and which would have been lost in the crash of oceanic if cbn had not stepped in? is that not a financial equivalent of an environmental disaster?

local oil companies trucks are catching fire and killing people everyday - no one is sanctioning them . lasg is trying to put some sort of framework in place - one can also assume that several state governments have been compromised by local oilcos

stop  the easy whining of blaming your woes on others

thats is nigerians biggest problem. the chicken's way out. these multinationals ae all over the world in several countries. take a cue from brazil 's leadership, who don't sit on their asses whining about western imperialism

There you go again EXCUSING THE ACTS OF FOREIGN CRIMINAL ORGANISATIONS WORKING IN CAHOOTS WITH LOCAL COLLABORATORS.

You simply CANNOT do that and expect to be taken seriously. You are little more than a BODYGUARD for those imperialist interests.  We shouldn't ''blame them'', even if they are robbing us blind. You're wrong. Just as we blame local officials, we must equally blame foreign officials. NOBODY INVOLVED IN THE R.APE OF NIGERIA IS EXEMPT WHATEVER YOUR FUUKING SKIN COLOR.

You talk of Brazil. But we are not Brazil. If Brazil's govt is being overtaken by foreigners, that's their problem. If it's not, it's their cup of tea as well.

We are talking of Nigeria. Leave ''Brazil'' OUT OF IT.

You think Brazil is heaven? Have you been to Brazil? Do you know there are millions of malnourished children in Brazil?

Do you know there are slums in Brazil that make Ajegunle look like the Garden of Eden?

Please we need sensible contributions here.

If Nigerians are told that what these multinationals do is ''normal practice'', including bugging ministers offices, installing stooges and spies in govt departments thus subverting the political process, SIPHONING OIL, UNDER-DECLARING THEIR EXPORTS, and TAX AVOIDANCE, is that not a FREE PASS for criminal actions by those groups? It is, and we reject that. If such acts are normal elsewhere, they must not be regarded as ''normal'' in NIGERIA.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Sokoto, Katsina Top List Of Poor States... / Gbadamosi: What Next After Two Defeats? / The Deplorable State Of Eyita Ikorodu Road LAGOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.