Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,885 members, 7,962,870 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 06:52 PM

Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed (13214 Views)

Wike Gradually Losing Grip Of PDP Members In Rivers / Dahiru Mangal And His Grip On Nigeria Customs Service.. / Wikileaks Said It Has 4,598 Cables Originating From Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Nobody: 8:07am On Dec 10, 2010
NOW Who are the MAJORITY Ethnic in Shell, YORUBA, who is the Rep of other Oil companies to pretest against Petroluem Industriel Bill(PIB), Shell MD( Yoruba Man), Go to other Oil companies like Total, They dominate, collecting contracts and paying Nigerian contract staffs peanuts. Go to NNPC which tribe are the Majority , Hausas- they dont care because its not their oil and def not their money, Thats is why the sharing Formular for oil revenue is 60% to 40%, no sane country will do this , even in Angola it is 75% to 25% for the companies. In TOTAL, the number of foreign staff is higher than Nigerian, yet DPR has done nothing. We need GOOD leaders thats all, I dont blame those Companies but the ppl we trusted the affairs into their hands, It has nothing to do with all the guys working in shell but the Coperate Heads which are Nigerians
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by justdtruth: 9:57am On Dec 10, 2010
we can keep talking and the number of pages on this thread will continue to increase. what we need is a way out of this mess. and like in a branstorming section, all ideas are appreciated. some of us have given suggestions on what we can do and i think that is what we need. sometimes, when issues like this come up, we tend to believe that someone who disagrees with our position is against us. i think they are not. they only perhaps believe that you not completely correct and its always good to have opposing views, it helps to strengthen whatever we finally decide to do cos all angles would have been looked at. kobojunkie made a point on looking for solutions that have not been used cos a number of such solutions that rely on this present system has failed. sometimes what we might need is to modify such ideas.

if we want any thing achieved, we must start we the suggestion of kilode. and yes there are many people out there who want Nigeria to work. we just seem to be lost in all these confusion. places like India and Indonesia have something we can borrow from. things do not have to be perfect, but we should be able to get some things right. the way to start is to understand the features of these communities and the factors that have been at play. one of such factors is awareness.

we should not expect that the set of people in govt now will deliver what we want. we should start a process that will bring about a credible system that will eventually produce a credible leadership. its not going to happen next year and its not only relevant during election period. it a process that must continue until we have what we want.

it is important that we find a way come together to further galvanise our ideas but i must express my concern on what i have seen happening and that is the hijacking of such process by the very people we want to get rid of. whatever the case, we must start something

pls give your suggestions on what we can do, what you are doing and lets start the rebuilding of our nation
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by ahf(m): 10:15am On Dec 10, 2010
- - - - - -
GAS ISSUES
- - - - - -

¶6. (C) The Ambassador said that the Mission was looking at performance measures for the economy, i.e. the linkage between the country's electricity output and gross domestic product (GDP). The Ambassador shared that the Mission feels strongly that gas for feedstock is the key to Nigeria's power production, which is only about 2,800 average megawatts for a country of 140 million people. Pickard agreed and added that the U.S. got it wrong on its domestic natural gas policies, which it took over 20 years to sort out. So it is not surprising that Nigeria has it wrong at this point. She said there is not adequate infrastructure for gas. Gathering plants and pipelines to carry the product to the power plants still have to be financed and built. The Nigeria Independent Power Projects (NIPP) were located where there is no gas and no infrastructure. In addition, the international oil companies were coerced into building a power plant each, something they have no expertise in, and they are scrambling to deliver gas to these plants.

This comment is spot on !!!!!

The only problem is that if you put all the gas plants in a particular place, the people of that region start to claim ownership of the facility, instead of seeing it as a national property.

I wonder if there are any cables detailing US plans to minimise importation of oil and develop other alternative forms of energy?

That would make good reading and remind us that our ready made market would dwindle very soon.

Believe me, when the US Cabal reduce their oil consumption, the price would crash like mad, then we will drink our oil

Since we have refused to develop our country, we will pay the price for been ruled by FOOLISH leaders !!
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Guyman02: 10:21am On Dec 10, 2010
¶4. (S/NF) The Ambassador asked what Shell's thoughts were on any
potential for a coup. Pickard answered that there is little
intellectual capital to plan and execute a coup and Shell sees little
potential for one.

Now I know why many of us where prevented from gaining admission into the Nigeria Defence Academy back in time during the selection, the most intelligent candidates were craftly dropped mostly from some ethnic groups. A brilliant set of gallant officers were wasted in Ejigbo C-130 plane crash to dilute intellectual capital in the armed forces. WAOH!!
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by TRUSTEDGUY: 12:32pm On Dec 10, 2010
This country has fools for leaders that's why they are clueless to sensitive issues.

present petroleum minister na once time director of this parasites call SHELL
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by kodewrita(m): 1:42pm On Dec 10, 2010
TRUSTEDGUY:

This country has fools for leaders that's why they are clueless to sensitive issues.

present petroleum minister na once time director of this parasites call SHELL
So you would rather recruit a former banker to run your country's oil industry instead of someone with industry experience. interesting.
strangerf:

BY THE WAY GUYS; I WORK FOR SHELL

I HAVE BEEN POSTED HERE TO MONITOR YOU GUYS, AND TO EVENTUALLY TAKEOVER NL. JUST SAYING
you wish
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kobojunkie: 3:16pm On Dec 10, 2010
ahf:

This comment is spot on !!!!!

The only problem is that if you put all the gas plants in a particular place, the people of that region start to claim ownership of the facility, instead of seeing it as a national property.

I wonder if there are any cables detailing US plans to minimise importation of oil and develop other alternative forms of energy?

That would make good reading and remind us that our ready made market would dwindle very soon.

Believe me, when the US Cabal reduce their oil consumption, the price would crash like mad, then we will drink our oil

Since we have refused to develop our country, we will pay the price for been ruled by FOOLISH leaders !!

You need a cable detailing US Plans to minimize importation of oil, to help Nigeria how? lol The US is not the only power hungry country out there and a fall in price of crude is not your salvation in this either. Not certain how US "CABAL" has anything to do with the disgusting situation Nigerian leaders continue to put the country in. As of the last time, US only consume approximately 20% of Nigerian Oil(probably lower by now). Again, I am not certain why we have to INJECT the west into our woes -- excuses much?
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by strangerf: 3:34pm On Dec 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

You need a cable detailing US Plans to minimize importation of oil, to help Nigeria how? lol The US is not the only power hungry country out there and a fall in price of crude is not your salvation in this either. Not certain how US "CABAL" has anything to do with the disgusting situation Nigerian leaders continue to put the country in. As of the last time, US only consume approximately 20% of Nigerian Oil(probably lower by now). Again, I am not certain why we have to INJECT the west into our woes -- excuses much?

HEY KOBO,

OUR PLAN AT SHELL IS TO TAKE YOU OUT; SO WATCH YOUR BACK, OK. WILL YA?
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by cjfavour(m): 4:15pm On Dec 10, 2010
advice to gej. be firm. there are corrupt men in your government,sack them. there are moles in your government ministries, sack them. fight corruption with all your might. remove danjuma, aganga, odein ajumogobia,orubebe. look for others. support amaechi with all your might.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by cap28: 4:36pm On Dec 10, 2010
cjfavour:

advice to gej. be firm. there are corrupt men in your government,sack them. there are moles in your government ministries, sack them. fight corruption with all your might. remove danjuma, aganga, odein ajumogobia,orubebe. look for others. support amaechi with all your might.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin -wow corrupt men in GEJ's govt who would have guessed!!!
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Dentale(f): 4:58pm On Dec 10, 2010
@ Kobo, your cynicism is uncalled for. Rather than your numerous ROTFLMAOs and LOLs, give us in clear specific terms what EXACTLY you think can be done in this situation (hopefully without the blindly Pro-Shell and Pro- West stance) or asking us to do nothing!
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kobojunkie: 5:03pm On Dec 10, 2010
Dentale:

@ Kobo, your cynicism is uncalled for. Rather than your numerous ROTFLMAOs and LOLs, give us in clear specific terms what EXACTLY you think can be done in this situation (hopefully without the blindly Pro-Shell and Pro- West stance) or asking us to do nothing!

NO . . . I will not feed the Nigerian obsession of PROFERRING SOLUTIONS that you never actually implement at the end of the day(I will not feed that monster). If you do not like my posts, IGNORE! ROFLMAO!!!

I don’t have to ask you to do nothing as that seems to come natural in Nigeria -- how else do you think we got where we are today? By actually making attempts of some kind?
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Dentale(f): 8:55pm On Dec 10, 2010
, and the rambling continues. Moving on ->
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by Kobojunkie: 8:59pm On Dec 10, 2010
^^^ says the chief rambler . . . ROFLMAO!! grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by strangerf: 9:38pm On Dec 10, 2010
I LOVE KOBOJUNKIE; THE GREAT RAMBLER OF NAIRALAND

MORE POWER TO YOUR FINGERS

ORI E FOKASIBE

O LENU PA

YOUR HEAD DEY THERE!
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by cheikh: 7:01pm On Dec 11, 2010
Shell or any self respecting/focused company must engage in business like war-fare, a la Sun tzu! Nigerians should be focusing their attention on their so called 'leaders and administrators' - Do they actually know what is expected of them? If indeed they do, Are they really trained and prepared properly for the tasks they are deployed to carry out? Have Nigerians not heard of heart breaking stories of encounters between Nigerians and their so-called diplomatic missions abroad? Nigerians do not understand modern 'wars' let alone being prepared/ready for full engagement in self affirmation 'Free' 'Nigeria'. Nationalism and Patriotism is more than public declaration and sing-songs or the football pitch. Nigeria is cursed with un-patriotic citizens/ administrators without exception. To understand how cheap and un-patriotic the Nigerian leadership is, look no further than the Vaswani family business involvement in Nigeria with characters like OBJ, ATIKU. IBORI, ODILI etc in the Nigerian saga. Are they accountable?
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by cheikh: 9:12pm On Dec 11, 2010
Nigerians should read and comprehend the posts of Ade2K8, Kobojunkie and Reference as related to the topic perhaps we may begin to understand that the Nigerian problem is not Shell but the Nigerian(s) and their inability to fight the good fight, real war of Liberation/mental emancipation. Thank you for your contributions.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by lemur: 2:35pm On Dec 14, 2010
Does anyone have an idea about the ownership structure of the Shell venture in Nigeria? Out of all our oil that they produce, how much goes to government and how much to Shell and others in partnership with them?
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by cap28: 3:42pm On Dec 14, 2010
lemur:

Does anyone have an idea about the ownership structure of the Shell venture in Nigeria? Out of all our oil that they produce, how much goes to government and how much to Shell and others in partnership with them?

shell nigeria is a subsidiary of royal dutch shell which is jointly owned by the british and dutch.

Its nigeria operations are known as shell nigeria - it carries out its operations by way of a joint venture with NNPC.

NNPC as you know is owned by the FGN - the FGN has a 55% stake in the joint venture arrangement, shell has 30%, Total (France)10% and Eni (italian) 5% .

Which means that the nigerian govt receives 55% of all rents, royalties and licence fees in respect of oil exploration.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by cap28: 3:57pm On Dec 14, 2010
just to add to my post:

shell nigeria or shell petroleum development company (spdc) comprises the following companies:

shell nigeria exploration and production co

shell nigeria gas

shell nigeria oil products

which are all jointly owned by the british and dutch.

In addition shell has a 25.6 % stake in nigeria liquified natural gas (NLNG)
the nigerian govt has a 49% stake, Total has a 15% stake and Eni 10.4 %
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by lemur: 4:05pm On Dec 14, 2010
Thanks for your post cap28.

I was just doing some research and I can confirm that you are correct on many of the points you listed. However, a few amendments:

1. There are actually only 3 Shell companies actively operating in Nigeria: SPDC (the mother company), SNEPCo (the shell company that operates the offshore Bonga field) and a relatively small operation Shell Nigeria Gas (SNG) which largely handles gas supplies to the domestic market.
2. SPDC is indeed owned based on the formula you listed and both funding of its operations and profit sharing is done based on the ownership structure. However, they only share profit after the federation has taken rotalties and taxes and the cost of all licenses go to the federation, and is not shared as you stated. Shell is the operator though.
3. While SPDC is a joint venture, SNEPCo is also a joint venture with Shell owning the majority of shares and maybe just Exxon Mobil owing a few more. SNG is fully owned by Shell it seems.

It thus means that whatever we accuse Shell of, we must remember that the FGN is their partner in this.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by cap28: 4:16pm On Dec 14, 2010
lemur:

Thanks for your post cap28.

I was just doing some research and I can confirm that you are correct on many of the points you listed. However, a few amendments:

1. There are actually only 3 Shell companies actively operating in Nigeria: SPDC (the mother company), SNEPCo (the shell company that operates the offshore Bonga field) and a relatively small operation Shell Nigeria Gas (SNG) which largely handles gas supplies to the domestic market.
2. SPDC is indeed owned based on the formula you listed and both funding of its operations and profit sharing is done based on the ownership structure. However, they only share profit after the federation has taken rotalties and taxes and the cost of all licenses go to the federation, and is not shared as you stated. Shell is the operator though.
3. While SPDC is a joint venture, SNEPCo is also a joint venture with Shell owning the majority of shares and maybe just Exxon Mobil owing a few more. SNG is fully owned by Shell it seems.

It thus means that whatever we accuse Shell of, we must remember that the FGN is their partner in this.

thanks Lemur, and your amendments are noted.

You are right the FGN are culpable in the blatant ra;pe and exploitation of the nigerian people, however the culpability is shared - shell and the FGN have collaborated in the economic and envionmntal destruction of nigeria.
Re: Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed by 9ijaMan: 4:19pm On Dec 14, 2010
@Lemur,
You are more accurate. It's only SPDC that is jointly owned by the government Shell, Total & Eni. SNEPCo and SNG are are almost wholly owned by Shell.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Deplorable State Of Eyita Ikorodu Road LAGOS / 800 Ex-boko Haram Militants Get Relief Materials / Dogara Loyalists In Fix Over Gbajabiamila

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.