Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,973 members, 7,936,111 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 02:24 AM

Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. (82361 Views)

Sanusi's Grandfather, Muhammadu Sanusi Was Dethroned By Ahmadu Bello / Sanusi Lamido: Suspended By President, Dethroned By Governor: Turbulent Journey / Sanusi Dethroned By Kano State Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Nobody: 10:26am On Mar 11, 2020
BafanaBafana:

Igbos have no king.
A lot of Igbos do not even know who the Obi of onitsha is
U speak like one of those who don't know the name of their town or how to get to their town if they are told to home. No pun intended
U are very wrong.
Igbos have kings.
U don't know your history if u are an igbo guy.
My town has a king. So also any town I know in igboland and are highly revered.

And lots of people are aware of obi of onitsha.

The difference is that they have nothing to do with politics and are not attention seeking.

Wonder where nollywood get the king depiction it always play in most of its movies from if not in igboland.

4 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by AreaFada2: 10:26am On Mar 11, 2020
AfroKnight:

Don’t exaggerate na. So Igbos have no king, but obi of Onitsha is what? A class captain? Baba calm down.
Lol. It infuriates some of our Igbo cousins that Obi of Onitsha probably has some Benin ancestral links. grin cheesy

It has been discussed here on NL over the years.
Benin links or no Benin links, Obi of Onitsha is an immensely respected king in Nigeria. Not just due to his position but also his amiable, cosmopolitan and modern worldview.

I cannot claim to know much about Igbo people but Obi's Ofala festival in Onitsha never escapes my attention every year. He has enhanced its popularity greatly. At the end of the day, kings are custodians of culture. He's doing great promoting Igbo culture to the world. In my humble view, that's the essence of nobility and royalty backed by our current constitution, however flawed it might be..

Obi of Nri/Aguleri is another eminent King in the East. Obu Gad, the shrine of supposed Igbo progenitor, the Biblical Gad, draws tourists from Israel and worldwide. Why some Igbo people would take something of such cultural enormity with casual levity is beyond me. Just in the name of being republican?

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Unbiased1: 10:27am On Mar 11, 2020
Adgideon:
They are too afraid to speak out their minds they are all cowards,

Trash.

2 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by galadima77(m): 10:28am On Mar 11, 2020
Does anyone notice the end of those who dethrone these traditional rulers?

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 11, 2020
Kendroid:

Igbo eweghi Eze!

We don't have king
Who told u that?
From lagos ibadan papers or from your grand fathers?

A big misconception that people who hardly go home cling to.

Go and know where u came from.
Lagos is not your home grin

7 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by friday2011(m): 10:31am On Mar 11, 2020
Saopedro:
ADEYEMI, ALAAFIN OF OYO

Adeyemi Adeniran II ascended the throne as the alaafin of Oyo in 1945 and reigned for about a decade before his abrupt and unexpected dethronement in July 1955 by Obafemi Awolowo, leader of old western region, reportedly over political reasons.

In 1950, Awolowo established the Action Group, promising freedom from British rule among other things for all those who followed him, particularly the westerners. The alaafin was among those who did not identify with Awolowo and did not hide the fact that he was a fan of Nnamdi Azikwe and by extension the National Council of Nigerians and the Cameroons (NCNC), a rival party for Awolowo’s camp. He was at some point also accused of conspiring to work against the regional government, part of what led to his suspension and eventual dethronement. His son is the incumbent alaafin of Oyo.

MUHAMMADU SANUSI I

Muhammadu Sanusi I, was deposed as the 11th emir of Kano 57 years ago by the then northern Nigeria regional government led by Ahamdu Bello, the late sarduana of Sokoto.

Sanusi I replaced Abdullahi Bayero, the 10th emir of Kano, who died on December 23, 1953. Prior to this appointment, he worked as a senior councilor of the emirate council where he controlled the administration of the emirate, as the sole native authority for over a decade. Palace officials reported that the late emir had a special relationship with the emerging western educated elite and he brought many of them into the services of the native authority.

Upon his emergence as emir, he played key roles in the major shift in elite configuration in the state. He was also instrumental in the formation of the Northern Peoples Congress (NPC). Indeed, Sanusi I was charismatic, politically sound and influential in the northern region. He stood firmly against injustice and oppression, seizing moments to condemn any of such acts.

However, trouble began when most of the senior members of the NPC in Kaduna resented his influence. This resentment led to the instituting of a commission of inquiry into the finances of the Kano native authority under Sanusi. A probe panel was set up and members of the native authority testified before D. J. M. Muffet, the sole commissioner. The panel recommended the resignation of the emir and the regional government implemented the recommendation, thereby requesting Sanusi I to resign. With little or no restraint, the late emir tendered his resignation to Kashim Ibrahim, the then governor of the northern region on March 28, 1963.

Sanusi I went into exile at Azare, a city in Bauchi state, where he kept a low profile. He spent 20 years in exile before returning to Wudil state, Kano, where he died. He was replaced by his brother, Muhammadu Inuwa, the 12th emir of Kano, whose tenure only lasted for six months. Inuwa was succeeded by the late Ado Bayero, who spent 51 years on the throne before he died. In 2014, Rabiu Kwankwaso, former governor of the state, appointed Sanusi II as the 14th emir of Kano

IBIKUNLE AKITOYE, OBA OF LAGOS

Among the earliest prominent traditional rulers dethroned was Ibikunle Akitoye, the oba of Lagos who ascended the throne in 1841 but was deposed in 1845, with the involvement of his nephew Kosoko who later succeeded him as oba.

Against the advice of his chiefs, Akitoye recalled kosoko so as to bring him back to fold, but the result was that he lost the throne to him but later got it back through the help of the British in 1851. Part of what caused his travails, as was told, was his move to ban slave trade, as local merchants, who were prominent slave traders, kicked against this and mobilised for his removal.

OLATERU OLAGBEGI, OLOWO OF OWO

Olateru Olagbegi ruled as the Olowo of Owo on two occasions, first appointed in 1941 and later returned to the position in 1993.

He was highly revered and first ruled for 25 years before he was deposed and sent into exile reportedly as a result of a regional crisis between two Action Group leaders: Obafemi Awolowo and Samuel Akintola.

Interestingly, the Action Group was birthed in his palace about 10 years earlier, but a misunderstanding between the two leaders in the early 1960s saw the traditional ruler taking sides with Akintola.

His decision did not go down well with some members of his community, the end result which was a revolt against him in 1966. He was deposed and subsequently banished, only to be re-instated in 1993, following the death of the reigning monarch.

Source
https://www.thecable.ng/adeyemi-tukur-dasuki-seven-monarchs-dethroned-like-sanusi

From this report, it seems dethronement is a family heritage in the sanusi's, father was also dethroned.
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Sleevia: 10:32am On Mar 11, 2020
gratiaeo:
No king is untouchable in Nigeria
Which Nigerian GOVERNMENT has removed Oba of Benin apart from the British? I even learned the very guy that exiled the Oba of Benin committed Suicide as he became restless...

2 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Kendroid: 10:32am On Mar 11, 2020
AreaFada2:

But the write-up left something important out. To the Benin, he was still the Oba of Benin. Only just in exile. He was never replaced on the throne. It was impossible. The crown prince only became Oba in 1914 after Oba Ovonramwen passed on in Calabar, In most other places, his brother, cousin or even his son would have yielded to the British desire to be a puppet King. Not in Benin.
Dethroning means to relieve a king of its duties, it does not further state that another must be crowned.
In other words, Oba of Benin was dethroned because he was forcefully taken out of his palace into exile and never returned, his people only chose to stick with their dethroned and exile king until his death!

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by johnpablo541(m): 10:34am On Mar 11, 2020
Nwogeh:
No single Igbo king is among yet they said Igbos hate themselves and play bitter politics

Rochas Okorocha dethroned a king in IMO state when he was governor
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Trimque2k1(m): 10:35am On Mar 11, 2020
baralatie:

wetin Obaseki family do you.
when the British dethroned Oba of Benin and had him replaced.Benin should have entered the royal boat and sailed to England and start 2nd British/Benin War on their own ground now.
You want make dem kill us finish abi, abeg he don tey wey yansh dey back jor

3 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Nobody: 10:35am On Mar 11, 2020
AreaFada2:

Lol. It infuriates some of our Igbo cousins that Obi of Onitsha probably has some Benin ancestral links. grin cheesy

It has been discussed here on NL over the years.
Benin links or no Benin links, Obi of Onitsha is an immensely respected king in Nigeria. Not just due to his position but also his amiable, cosmopolitan and modern worldview.

I cannot claim to know much about Igbo people but Obi's Ofala festival in Onitsha never escapes my attention every year. He has enhanced its popularity greatly. At the end of the day, kings are custodians of culture. He's doing great promoting Igbo culture to the world. In my humble view, that's the essence of nobility and royalty backed by our current constitution, however flawed it might be..

Obi of Nri/Aguleri is another eminent King in the East. Obu Gad, the shrine of supposed Igbo progenitor, the Biblical Gad, draws tourists from Israel and worldwide. Why some Igbo people would take something of such cultural enormity with casual levity is beyond me. Just in the name of being republican?
Don't mind some people here saying igbo people don't have kings.
Seriously?

Since this dethronment came up, I have been checking if any prominent igbo king has faced such but I am yet to get any answer.

In imo state, I have a friend that came from lineage of kings for heaven knows how long.

When we went for traditional marriage in abìrìba, we went to pay homage to the king.
The other day FFK went for the burial ceremony of his wife's late dad and went to pay homage to the king.

So where did they get this igbo don't have kings from?
Awon fake igbo people

4 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by BafanaBafana: 10:36am On Mar 11, 2020
sassysure:

U speak like one of those who don't know the name of their town or how to get to their town if they are told to home. No pun intended
U are very wrong.
Igbos have kings.

The difference is that they have nothing to do with politics and are not attention seeking.

Wonder where nollywood get the king depiction it always play in most of its movies from if not in igboland.

Igbos have a strong traditional institution no doubt. However, the Igbo monarchy was a creation of the British in a bid to implement indirect rule like the north and west. Indirect rule failed there because they (Igbos) were not used to the idea of kings.

3 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by sosospence(m): 10:36am On Mar 11, 2020
Kendroid:

Dethroning means to relieve a king of its duties, it does not further state that another must be crowned.
In other words, Oba of Benin was dethroned because he was forcefully taken out of his palace into exile and never returned, his people only chose to stick with their dethroned and exile king until his death!
Good explanation

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Nobody: 10:36am On Mar 11, 2020
Unbiased1:
Non from Igbo land cheesy
The Obi of Onitsha and those of Nnewi communities must be very disciplined people not to have been dethroned since 1445 and 1500s

History has it that traditional rulers of igbo extraction are no so powerful/influential to meddle in politics.
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by spiritmasquerad(m): 10:37am On Mar 11, 2020
thundafire:
Even the present Oba of Benin can be booted out even Sultan
That would be a big mistake if the government try it, Benin people that see their Oba like a God

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Nobody: 10:40am On Mar 11, 2020
BafanaBafana:

Igbos have a strong traditional institution no doubt. However, the Igbo monarchy was a creation of the British in a bid to implement indirect rule like the north and west. Indirect rule failed there because they (Igbos) were not used to the idea of kings.
U don't know nothing about igbo monarchy and non was a product of British creation.
Oki of onitsha etc dates back to 1600.
When was British in Nigeria again?
Or is it Nri?

Bros, talk about what u know.

U can't have red cap elders without having a chief in that town.
It's impossible and they have been there for centuries.

And let me tell you, igbo kings as at today are more revered than governors.

Just Go and read brief history of obi of onitsha then delete this post.

U probably don't go home.
Imagine.
Igbos don't have kings.

If u count the number of traditional rulers in Nigeria By tribe, I will tell you that igbo has the highest numbers.
Why?
Because they rule towns.
E.g.like in kano, we will not have only one king.
All the town's will have their traditional rulers.

U don't hear about them cos they don't make noise.
E.g. obi of onitsha.
How many times have u heard anything from that man except during ofala.
Do u know what ofala is by the way?

3 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by AreaFada2: 10:42am On Mar 11, 2020
Kendroid:

Dethroning does not necessarily mean another must be crowned.
Once you're a king and you're forcefully taken out of your kingdom, my brother that's called dethronement!

I understand u guys are trying so hard to cover up for him Shah!
My brother, there's no cover up. The facts are known.

Benin culture is that Oba is born as a crown prince. Once Oba, he remains one, no matter what. The status of Crown Prince or Oba can only be removed by death.

Dying as a crown prince is so rare that there's even a proverb. A crown prince never dies as a crown a prince.

Therefore, to care for the royal family, over 500 years ago, the Guild of Royal Physicians and Astrologers (Ewaise) became very well established in Benin. In the 1440s. Alongside over 30 other Royal professional guilds. Compare that to the Royal College of Physicians of England founded in 1518.

When the British came to Benin in 1553, when they saw the organisation, government, city plan, level of hygiene, protective moats and ramparts and compared it with London, Paris, Lisbon, Amsterdam and Madrid, capitals of the world powers of that age, they called it Benin-City.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Kendroid: 10:43am On Mar 11, 2020
sassysure:

Who told u that?
From lagos ibadan papers or from your grand fathers?

A big misconception that people who hardly go home cling to.

Go and know where u came from.
Lagos is not your home grin
Nnamdi Kanu's father is my village king. Lemme remind u that his kingship until his death was between him and his family.
God himself naturally created Igbos not to be controlled which is easily the reason why we excel all over the world, including in crime!

2 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Kendroid: 10:45am On Mar 11, 2020
sassysure:

U are very wrong.
Igbos have kings.

U talk carelessly like u know everything about Igbos.
Do Igbos have Kings? YES!

Do Igbos have a King? NO!

Get that into Ur head!

2 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Nobody: 10:46am On Mar 11, 2020
Kendroid:

U talk carelessly like u know everything about Igbos.
Do Igbos have Kings? YES!

Do Igbos have a King? NO!

Get that into Ur head!
Close your mouth and pay respect to your kings if u are igbo.
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by DeRay98(m): 10:47am On Mar 11, 2020
thundafire:
Even the present Oba of Benin can be booted out even Sultan

Go and try it and wait to see if Benin wil contain you or that person...
The British only succeeded in war of military superiority that was never contested...
The last military guvnor who tried to undermined Oba of Benin was Onyearegbulem and he suffered the consequences of his arrogance....

3 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Xisnin(m): 10:50am On Mar 11, 2020
Mysticwebb:
And Obi of Onitsha is not there, meaning their king the Obi of Onitsha has never been dethroned since it began in mid 16th century.
I think the present king Nnaemeka is the 21sth King of that kingdom.
Igbos have no kings.
It was the British that setup fake royal stools to control the people.
Source - Igbo Internet warriors.
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Nobody: 10:52am On Mar 11, 2020
johnpablo541:

Rochas Okorocha dethroned a king in IMO state when he was governor
Really shocked

I have been looking for dethroned igbo kings since yesterday.

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Ohraykon: 10:52am On Mar 11, 2020
sinkhole:
Being a monarch this era is a scam, I will rather face my business than being made a king; who can dethrone or banish Alhaji Aliko Dangote?
yaradua almost did dose guys make money of monopoly so he is not clean and mind you money is not everything

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Xisnin(m): 10:52am On Mar 11, 2020
Auxtin85:
Pls where is MANNABBQGRIL? Has he shamefully gone to hang himself for supporting evil against innocent Nigerians?
Wrong.
He is still around with a new moniker and a female "f" tag.
If you have been paying attention, you would have noticed the new account.

2 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by jcross19: 10:53am On Mar 11, 2020
orisa37:
The Case of AKURE makes it clearer. The GOVERNOR acted on the Wishes of The People. Mimiko didn't dethrone until the people asked him to do so. Traditional Rulers are Representatives of God on Earth and God's Trustees for the Land, Language, Tribe,.Time and Tongue they represent.
The British applied Colonial Rules to the cases in which they got involved with NIGERIA.
Awolowo saw far into the Future what others around him, including Azikwe couldn't see. He had the opportunity to prevent undue Advantage being taken of his YORUBA TRIBE and he ceased it like a Master.
Current Cases of Emirs' Dethronement leading to the present WIP are resultant Bastardization and Violation of the people of NIGERIA's Fundamental Rights.
The Federal Constitution divorced Traditional Rulers from Land Control and handed such Controls over to Governors who were then wholly Military. Ganduje now acting "GANG UP CHOP N CHOP" HOOLIGANISM with Traditional Rulers is an extension of some borrowed Military Prowess.
GANDUJE has not behaved like Mimiko. So let the case go to Court.
The People hire their Traditional Rulers. And only the People can fire their Traditional Rulers.

Grant Full Autonomy of Police, Resources and Elections Control to the 37 legit States of NIGERIA and all Problems will be done with.
awolow was Hausa stooge if you don't know and he saw nothing , part of involvement of awolowo is part of problems we are facing today. the same awolowo that dethroned alaafin of Oyo during his time.

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Kendroid: 10:53am On Mar 11, 2020
AreaFada2:
My brother, there's no cover up. The facts are known.

Benin culture is that Oba is born as a crown prince. Once Oba, he remains one, no matter what. The status of Crown Prince or Oba can only be removed by death.

Dying as a crown prince is so rare that there's even a proverb. A crown prince never dies as a crown a prince.

Therefore, to care for the royal family, over 500 years ago, the Guild of Royal Physicians and Astrologers (Ewaise) became very well established in Benin. In the 1440s. Alongside over 30 other Royal professional guilds. Compare that to the Royal College of Physicians of England founded in 1518.

When the British came to Benin in 1553, when they saw the organisation, government, city plan, level of hygiene, protective moats and ramparts and compared it with London, Paris, Lisbon, Amsterdam and Madrid, they called it Benin-City.
I concur with your write-up. Even though it is very far from the discussion at hand.
Your kingship is hereditary, that's understandable! But it does not necessarily mean that a king who occupies the throne at a particular time cannot be dethroned, It is very possible. What I understand is not possible is installing another king when the ruling king is still alive. Hence, there can't be 2 kings in the kingdom even if the ruling king is exiled.

3 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Xisnin(m): 10:53am On Mar 11, 2020
Agbons1991:
Get your fact right, Oba of Benin was never dethroned, rather he was taken to calaber by the British....

But still remained the king of Benin till his death..

No one occupied his throne while he was still alive..

You just don't wake up to make statements without getting your facta right.

Sanusi was dethroned and replaced by another emir.

There's a difference. Bro.
He was humiliated, tried, dethroned and exiled.
Apparently, fact eludes you.

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by ebiproperties(m): 10:54am On Mar 11, 2020
What all said and done I just have a question for u. CAN D BRITISH PRIME MINISTER DETHRONE THE QUEEN am waiting for answer

1 Like

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Ohraykon: 10:54am On Mar 11, 2020
abumeinben:
It took a the British government to dethrone Benin Oba.

For those dragging Oba of Benin into this, it's not gonna be easy for the governor.
abegi make hin pass hin boundary now why was he quiet during abacha time oba benin ko

3 Likes

Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Kendroid: 10:54am On Mar 11, 2020
sassysure:

Close your mouth and pay respect to your kings if u are igbo.
Odiegwu!
Re: Influential Traditional Rulers Who Were Dethroned In Nigeria. by Xisnin(m): 10:55am On Mar 11, 2020
XklusivGistBlog:

We fought war with the looters... While ur parents slaved away with their fulani masters.
There is no consolation prize for loosers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Ali Nuhu: Hausa Guy Making Waves In Nollywood (igbo) Movies / Hushpuppi: Abba Kyari Flew To Dubai To Spend Good Time With Ramon Abbas - FBI / "Atiku Withdraw Or We Kill, Rape Your Wife & Daughters, Blow Your Plane, Poison”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.