Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,010 members, 7,936,237 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 08:54 AM

- Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / (6285 Views)

My Daughter Cannot Enter A House That Doesn't Have An Air Conditioner / My Experience While Trying To Register My Daughter In School Today / Can I Swap My Daughter's Kidney With My House Girl's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

by Nobody: 8:00am On Jan 03, 2011
Re: by Nobody: 8:06am On Jan 03, 2011
I have refused to put in "oshe" "chemical" " relaxer" "texturiser" etc  Grin cos I think a 7 year old should be natural and I dont want to start her off wih chemicals so early (my opinion) . Most of the kids in church have relaxed hair so I know its quite common, but I just dont feel its right for my daughter.

I just want to say I admire you for this, and plz keep up with the attitude.
I love it when I see children with their natural hair. I intend on doing that for my girls kiss

What kind of ingredients do you use for her hair? Care for natural hair is more vigorous and time consuming, but at the end, the goal is always achieved; comb-able.

Try to visit this thread for some ideas [courtesy of Inked_Nerd]. . . . My head is also full of full natural hair, and her thread has helped a bunch.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-551500.0.html

After all that, trust me, you wont have to pull your daughter's hair out lol
Re: by Nobody: 8:09am On Jan 03, 2011
BTW I use Avon kids shampoo, Avon kids conditioner, Vaseline and kids moisteriser.

Didnt see this. Ok, aunty wa, e really need lati check thread yen out. tongue
try some natural mixtures. Those shampoos can be rougher on natural hair than permed hair.
Re: by Nobody: 9:14am On Jan 03, 2011
@
Re: by Nobody: 9:24am On Jan 03, 2011
chaircover:

Yesterday in church I felt like such a bad mum when I was dressed up to the nines with my gele and etc etc and my dear beloved looked like an old granny with her hair cut into 4 lumps. Ni gbati ko gbe ori duro embarassed

grin grin grin grin Why didn't you wear her a cute fancy hat or cap? angry

Anyways she's got the kind of my hair and believe you me when I tell you that if I wanna braid my hair, I usually tie my hair like one deeper life gurl just to hide the hair ,if not I will be paying triple for the hair. And yes the stylist allways complain that the money they charged for the hair is too small and must be increased next time but omo mushin like me no dey carry last, I go to someone else's the next time I wanna do my hair again.

Get a hair straightner , make the hair in little halves and straighten it with it, it works for me
Re: by Nobody: 9:29am On Jan 03, 2011
chaircover:

aburo a da fun e jare  kiss

Lots of different recipies in that thread. I think I may be able to get the black soap from our local shop (some of the disadvantages of living in a village outside London LOL)

What do you suggest that I can buy off the shelf for moisturising and giving the hair a little sheen?

Yesterday in church I felt like such a bad mum when I was dressed up to the nines with my gele and etc etc and  my dear beloved looked like an old granny with her hair cut into 4 lumps. Ni gbati ko gbe ori duro  embarassed

I dont use any sheen for my hair. I try to stay as natural as possible. I deep condition my hair with a mixture of olive and honey, for about 30 minutes. Makes
my hair shiny and soft.

The history behind olive oil and honey:

Honey naturally attracts and holds moisture. It is also a natural antiseptic and contains antioxidants. Honey is packed with vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, potassium, calcium, sulphur, iron, zinc and vitamins B1, B2, B3, which aid in hair growth. It can be added to conditioners, rinses and pomades.
http://www.examiner.com/natural-hair-in-washington-dc/honey-a-sweet-treat-for-your-hair
Dry hair treated with olive oil will regain its shine, luster and healthy appearance, and will better withstand processing and rough treatment. Treatments can be done weekly, monthly or whenever your hair needs an extra-deep conditioning. The treatment takes about 30 minutes, and you can read, relax or get some chores done while the olive oil is doing its work.

Read more: Dry Hair Treatment with Olive Oil | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5267791_dry-hair-treatment-olive-oil.html#ixzz19xVFWeqL

http://www.ehow.com/way_5267791_dry-hair-treatment-olive-oil.html

And for softness while combing:

I mix up 100% natural coconut oil, water, olive oil and tea tree oil in a spray bottle. I spray my hair each morning and night [also braids my hair each night to keep out the tangles].  The spray not only makes the hair softer, but enriches the scalp with water and all the other good stuff, good for scalp moisturizer.

I think the only non natural stuff I use is ISOPLUS NATURAL REMEDY, TEA TREE & ALOE TREATMENT. It smells reallllllllllly good! After washing out the honey and olive oil, I usually melt natural shea butter, mix it with isoplus and rub the mixture into my scalp and hair. Make hair really soft.

Yesterday in church I felt like such a bad mum when I was dressed up to the nines with my gele and etc etc and  my dear beloved looked like an old granny with her hair cut into 4 lumps. Ni gbati ko gbe ori duro  embarassed

ROTFL!! cheesy cheesy
Re: by InkedNerd(f): 11:58am On Jan 03, 2011
chaircover:

aburo a da fun e jare  kiss

Lots of different recipies in that thread. I think I may be able to get the black soap from our local shop (some of the disadvantages of living in a village outside London LOL)

What do you suggest that I can buy off the shelf for moisturising and giving the hair a little sheen?

Yesterday in church I felt like such a bad mum when I was dressed up to the nines with my gele and etc etc and  my dear beloved looked like an old granny with her hair cut into 4 lumps. Ni gbati ko gbe ori duro nko?    embarassed

Lmao, sorry I don't mean to laugh[i]but[/i] >>> LMFAO. Your a good mom otherwise you wouldn't be here asking for help wink. Oh by the way, you might wanna stop using Vaseline on her hair. It clogs the hair shaft.

I noticed that jennykadry [sorry jenny, I wasn't tryin' to put your comment on blast embarassed] mentioned using a straightener on the hair but personally I'm against heat and chemicals. I rarely straighten or blow dry my hair. If you do decide on straightening her [your daughter's] hair make sure you use low heat and that you use some sort of heat protectant spray, balm, serum etc. to protect her hair from heat damage because sometimes the effects of heat damage can be just as bad as chemical damage. For the most part if you stick with hair butters and oils, you should have no problem in terms of moisturizing your daughters hair. And like Ileke-IdI said you some of those shampoos aren't good either. Try looking for sulfate-free shampoos when you buy shampoos for your little one. For more info, you can try this website. Its got tons of info on haircare for children of color >>> http://www.happygirlhair.com/ . If you'd like additional sites just let me know and I'll post them for you wink. And once again, stop beating yourself up over this. Your a good mom wink kiss

Re: by armyofone(m): 8:34pm On Jan 03, 2011
you know my prayers is to have all boys, i no dey for drama cheesy

CC, please shave the hair off. a low cut like military girls should do just foine cheesy
Re: by Kilode1: 10:01pm On Jan 03, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

I'm against heat and chemicals. I rarely straighten or blow dry my hair. If you do decide on straightening her [your daughter's] hair make sure you use low heat

Hurray!! So that scary, heavy iron comb you place on red hot kerosene stove does not work anymore? cheesy

**dancing around** for my future daughter's sake

I used to pity my sisters  sad
Re: by Romeo4real(m): 10:16pm On Jan 03, 2011
@CC -

I feel your pain. Relaxed hair at 7yrs old? Which parent is doing that?
My daughter has very long and thick hair as well, and it can be hell to manage. We use Luster's PCJ and Dark and Lovely Kids Beautiful Beginnings brands for my her. They have an excellent range of conditioners and detangling shampoos which work a treat.
Also, as she prefers me doing her hair, once in a while, i make her a homemade conditioner - Egg Yolk, Honey and Coconut Milk. She absolutely loves it, as it makes her hair really soft and silky.
I also use original (Ori) Shea Butter on her scalp. Her hair is always toweled dry, and no heat is applied. For general management, we simply keep the hair braided in a variety of styles; usually Corn(Cane) Rows, Ghana Weave, etc.
Re: by InkedNerd(f): 12:10am On Jan 04, 2011
armyofone:

you know my prayers is to have all boys, i no dey for drama  cheesy

CC, please shave the hair off. a low cut like military girls should do just foine  cheesy

Hmmmm, smh undecided

Kilode?!:

Hurray!! So that scary, heavy iron comb you place on red hot kerosene stove does not work anymore? cheesy

**dancing around** for my future daughter's sake

I used to pity my sisters   sad

lol, honestly I've only used that scary iron once in my life. The fist time I used one was when I was 18. After that, I never used it again. I barely know how to use a blow dryer properly--when I do use it, I only use the cold setting [just to dry my hair though]. My hair was natural most of my  life so I can't really say I have a fear of the iron comb. Hehehe, as far as I'm concerned flat irons and iron combs are foreign tools to me undecided grin.
Re: by mukina2: 12:22am On Jan 04, 2011
armyofone:

CC, please shave the hair off. a low cut like military girls should do just foine cheesy
Gbam! kiss

you sabi cool

@ Mama CC
i feel that little girl's pain, maintaining natural hair na fight embarassed , there should be hair mayonnaise for kid's hair, undecided it makes the natural hair softer, the lady that braids my little cousin uses that and she does not scream, because left to me, i hate to see her cry if she yell one, i go cut am comot lipsrsealed if her mama ask i'll say she pour sand for head grin

low hair cut and tiny earrings on a little girl looks very very cute grin if i get girl sef ( i pray not) she will only grow hair for head when she is on her own grin grin grin
Re: by ikamefa(f): 1:59am On Jan 04, 2011
LMAO! @ replies in here

@ topic jeje give the gal a shiny Gorimapa jare! grin grin grin grin grin

i volunteer to send you a whole keg of adin agbon ( coconut oil) to rub on the shiny head every morning grin grin grin grin grin
Re: by Nobody: 4:11am On Jan 04, 2011
armyofone:

Many of my aunts will beg to differ cheesy

I dont pray for such, chineke!
Re: by Nobody: 6:18am On Jan 04, 2011
//
Re: by Jenifa1: 6:44am On Jan 04, 2011
try keeping her hair in protective styles. twists, cornrows, braids etc.  especially twists because they look really cute on kids.

everybody is different but for me, I don't use combs on my natural hair. the only times a comb touch my hair are few and far between. I use my fingers mostly but I make sure to use a good detangler so that it is easy to finger comb. Stop by at a whole foods supermarket. they have good quality products for natural hair and you can find a good detangler. Sephora store also has a section for natural hair.
using comb on natural hair will be always painful. you have to be extremely gentle and have lots of time and patience. that's why I don't do it often.

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpoDd_Y2_RJ4Ht7lwOke2DO53_96GLDP3JpRugUF3mAUUAeQOE[/img][img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaaJSvjJcyXb1LlPAcU3aGkH4DeuzrLNPZsP2K7W3AAOB69V3ZIA[/img][img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_hd-zlneq6ag6cDi81w1oRiaLl20FhXKpZPPaUD5ektpfY0Nf0h8jUW5N[/img]

chaircover:

She is even lucky; growing up we had to go to these fulani people who lived on our street to have our hair plaited and they used to stick our heads between their legs and their wrapper . . . . I leave the rest to your imagination  cool

hahahah I remember those days. but for me, those women were yoruba.
Re: by InkedNerd(f): 7:57am On Jan 04, 2011
Jenifa_:

try keeping her hair in protective styles. twists, cornrows, braids etc.  especially twists because they look really cute on kids.

everybody is different but for me, I don't use combs on my natural hair. the only times a comb touch my hair are few and far between. I use my fingers mostly but I make sure to use a good detangler so that it is easy to finger comb. Stop by at a whole foods supermarket. they have good quality products for natural hair and you can find a good detangler. Sephora store also has a section for natural hair.
using comb on natural hair will be always painful. you have to be extremely gentle and have lots of time and patience. that's why I don't do it often.

Same here. I try to avoid combs as much as possible. Finger combin seems to be the best method for me. At times, I hate how my hair feels when I comb it embarassed.

chaircover:

Thank you Thank you Thank you eveyone   kiss kiss kiss

I will try as many methods as I can & hopefully we will see a difference

I told her that I opened a thread about her on NL and she now thinks that she is famous & was so excited as she read some of the comments. (Thankfully the NL sexuality section is now censored)  wink

Last night, I tried to undo the 4 lumps on her head ready for first day at school today but after the first Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa her dad came and rescued her (thats why I always try to do the hair when he is not around)

She is even lucky; growing up we had to go to these fulani people who lived on our street to have our hair plaited and they used to stick our heads between their legs and their wrapper . . . . I leave the rest to your imagination  cool

. . .  .and all of you praying that you dont have girls, I decree girl triplets for all of una  grin

Lmao grin
Re: by mukina2: 11:09am On Jan 04, 2011
chaircover:

. . .  .and all of you praying that you dont have girls, I decree boy triplets for all of una  grin
thanks grin cheesy cheesy

Jenifa_:

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpoDd_Y2_RJ4Ht7lwOke2DO53_96GLDP3JpRugUF3mAUUAeQOE[/img][img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaaJSvjJcyXb1LlPAcU3aGkH4DeuzrLNPZsP2K7W3AAOB69V3ZIA[/img][img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_hd-zlneq6ag6cDi81w1oRiaLl20FhXKpZPPaUD5ektpfY0Nf0h8jUW5N[/img]
This is what i did on my hair all throughout high school, mine was just smaller, when its rough that's when its really nice. small folds /twists are good for natural hair.
Re: by blank(f): 5:31pm On Jan 04, 2011
U guys really trying o. I remember wen I was a kid, even after using relaxer on our hair, it was still very tough 2 comb. My mum tried everything so a lot of the time, I had on low cut. If my daughter inherits my type of hair, I will av 2 cut it until she is 6 n den start relaxing it. U guys dey try. I no fit carry natural hair n neither will my daughter.
Re: by InkedNerd(f): 6:43pm On Jan 04, 2011
blank:

U guys really trying o. I remember wen I was a kid, even after using relaxer on our hair, it was still very tough 2 comb. My mum tried everything so a lot of the time, I had on low cut. If my daughter inherits my type of hair, I will av 2 cut it until she is 6 n den start relaxing it. U guys dey try. I no fit carry natural hair n neither will my daughter.

Ummm, your not supposed to put a relaxer on a 6 year old's hair. The box clearly says so. By the way, the ingredients in the relaxer is the same stuff in drain cleaners and is very acidic undecided.
Re: by ibobabe(f): 7:16pm On Jan 04, 2011
Madam CC please you have got mail
Its urgent.
thank you
Re: by dayokanu(m): 9:08pm On Jan 04, 2011
armyofone:

mukina2:

Gbam! kiss
you sabi cool
low hair cut and tiny earrings on a little girl looks very very cute grin if i get girl sef ( i pray not) she will only grow hair for head when she is on her own grin grin grin

So some women actually agree that females are wahala personified. Thank God say no be man talk am
Re: by InkedNerd(f): 2:04am On Jan 05, 2011
dayokanu:

So some women actually agree that females are wahala personified. Thank God say no be man talk am

I know, its horrible that we could think such a thing about ourselves--yet we wonder why men view us in a certain manner. We would have all been up in arms ad a man said all of this. Smmfh. I for one am not a believer of this notion. All you have to do is make sure you do your research of caring for hair of color [especially little children]. I take care for my friends' little sister's natural hair and I never ear a peep from the child when I comb, wash, or brush her hair.
Re: by blank(f): 3:39am On Jan 05, 2011
My mum started relaxing my sister n i's hair wen we were 5 years. There are some relaxers specially made 4 kids. 20 years after, the relaxers shld be better. I, personally, prefer a kids hair 2 be straightened. Its easier 2 manage 4 dem. They can den cut it off n start natural if dats dir preference. I wish u guys d best. Let me reiterate it, grown-up chics with natural hair deserve all d kudos.
Re: by Nobody: 4:57am On Jan 05, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

Ummm, your not supposed to put a relaxer on a 6 year old's hair. The box clearly says so. By the way, the ingredients in the relaxer is the same stuff in drain cleaners and is very acidic undecided.

My friend ,My mum put a relaxer on my hair when I was also young, whether it's drain cleaner's stuff or dry cleaner's stuffs, none of us gurls had issues with it or complained of some missing hair or head. I have got a very thick/full hair and had it cut in 2003 cos of its thickness. So make we hear word abeg, box ko, box ni. smiley
Re: by InkedNerd(f): 5:48am On Jan 05, 2011
jennykadry:

My friend ,My mum put a relaxer on my hair when I was also young, whether it's drain cleaner's stuff or dry cleaner's stuffs, none of us gurls had issues with it or complained of some missing hair or head. I have got a very thick/full hair and had it cut in 2003 cos of its thickness. So make we hear word abeg, box ko, box ni.  smiley

Ummm. . . Ok o undecided.

blank:

My mum started relaxing my sister n i's hair wen we were 5 years. There are some relaxers specially made 4 kids. 20 years after, the relaxers shld be better. I, personally, prefer a kids hair 2 be straightened. Its easier 2 manage 4 dem. They can den cut it off n start natural if dats dir preference. I wish u guys d best. Let me reiterate it, grown-up chics with natural hair deserve all d kudos.

Sorry, I'm not tryin' to sounds like a natural hair nazi, but I already know there are relaxers "made specifically for kids" but the truth is, there really is no difference between the kiddie relaxers[b]/[/b]texturizers and the adult relaxers[b]/[/b]texturizers. On the box, it says not to use it on children under the age of 12. It still has the same ingredients, just slightly different amounts. Anyway, its totally up to you so good luck  wink.
Re: by Nobody: 5:53am On Jan 05, 2011
dayokanu:

No they didnt! angry

Mukina just likes trouble, that's why she wants all boys

armyofone just no know wetin she dey type grin tongue Still love you gal
Re: by Nobody: 5:54am On Jan 05, 2011
I have to agree with Inked nerd here tongue. . . . it's not advisable to perm lil children's hair.
Leave it natural till they can decide of they want to go natural or permed.
Re: by Nobody: 6:18am On Jan 05, 2011
//
Re: by Orton10(m): 6:24am On Jan 05, 2011
^
Lol .bad gurl.
Re: by InkedNerd(f): 6:31am On Jan 05, 2011
chaircover:

Those twists in that picture, can I do them myself? Do I just twist 2 strands of hair together? or do I need to add some extensions like expression or something to give it body

I am going to the African hair shop over the weekend to see if I can get any of the products mentioned here.

You should have seen my daughers face when I mentioned egg yoke & honey to her LOL.

If parents got a chance to select the traits that they want for their children from each parent before they are born LOL; I am sure whose name would have been crossed out when it comes to hair  grin

Of course you can do them by yourself grin. Yes, all you need is just two stands of hair and then you twist it. In fact, there are products that you can apply to her hair to help you twist it. You don't need to add any extensions. The woman who twisted the hair of the little girl in the picture is a white woman and she does a pretty good job at it. When I twist my friends' little sister's hair, all I do is apply coconut oil to her hair and the rest is history. Would you like me to post some videos on how to twist natural hair? smiley
Re: by Jenifa1: 6:46am On Jan 05, 2011
chaircover:

Those twists in that picture, can I do them myself? Do I just twist 2 strands of hair together? or do I need to add some extensions like expression or something to give it body

I am going to the African hair shop over the weekend to see if I can get any of the products mentioned here.

You should have seen my daughers face when I mentioned egg yoke & honey to her LOL.

If parents got a chance to select the traits that they want for their children from each parent before they are born LOL; I am sure whose name would have been crossed out when it comes to hair  grin

hahah I love your sense of humor  grin grin

yes you can do those twists yourself. the first couple of times won't look as neat but you will get better with time. and yup you just twist two strands of hair. it is really simple. just time consuming if you make them tiny and if her hair is really long but worth it. they could last weeks if they are small enough.

you don't need extensions. natural hair naturally has body. because it shrinks/coils up

one product i would recommend is coconut oil. pure unrefined coconut oil. can be found at whole foods. it is the best moisturizer ever. apply it on damp hair - spray a little bit of water on a section of her hair and moisturize with coconut oil etc. her hair will retain the moisture for a long time.
the cheapest and most effective product IMO. you can google it for more info.

one warning is that coconut oil has a low freezing point so it literally freezes on the hair/ twists when you are outside in the cold but will melt immediately you enter a warm room lol I don't have any problem with this. it doesn't alter it's appearance or anything. but when you touch it, it feels as if your hair is frozen  cheesy i tend to have fun with it.

but definitely try coconut oil. even if you end up feeling you don't like it you can use it to moisturize your body or hers.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? / Pampers Vs Napkin / Will You Buy A Toy Gun For Your Child?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.