Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,971 members, 7,936,103 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 01:52 AM

Doctors In The House: Kindly Respond - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors In The House: Kindly Respond (1628 Views)

Salaries Of Medical Doctors In Nigeria / FG To Ban Private Practice By Doctors In Public Service / Sick Man Dies After Being Delayed By Striking Doctors In Imo State. Graphic PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctors In The House: Kindly Respond by deltateam: 3:46pm On Apr 13, 2020
I watched a movie where a Rhesus Negative woman who had an abortion earlier before marriage had 3 successive post birth child mortality.

She visited a doctor who explained to her about Rhesus factor and how it affected the deaths.

Is it true that Rhesus factor can bring death of babies?
Re: Doctors In The House: Kindly Respond by Lorazepam(f): 4:18pm On Apr 13, 2020
deltateam:
I watched a movie where a Rhesus Negative woman who had an abortion earlier before marriage had 3 successive post birth child mortality.

She visited a doctor who explained to her about Rhesus factor and how it affected the deaths.

Is it true that Rhesus factor can bring death of babies?
Yeah of course it can. Google Rhesus incompatibility and Hydrops Fetalis for more info.
Re: Doctors In The House: Kindly Respond by ChybuzzDD(m): 4:36pm On Apr 13, 2020
[quote author=deltateam post=88400730] I watched a movie where a Rhesus Negative woman who had an abortion earlier before marriage had 3 successive post birth child mortality.

Is it true that Rhesus factor can bring death of babies?[/quote
Yes, very true. Rhesus incompatibility is one of the causes of prenatal mortality. I hope those 3 mortalities have not been blamed on one innocent old woman in her village, seen as a witch?
Ignorance has destroyed many things in Africa!
She is Rhesus negative, and I believe the husband is rhesus positive, and with that, all have babies will be rhesus positive.
Usually, the first pregnancy has no problem as the woman is not yet sensitized
In her own case, the exchange of blood between her and the foetus during the abortion sensitized her. What this means is that, the entrance of the baby's blood into the mother's circulatory system caused her to develop antibodies(these are one of the attacking arsenals of the immune system) against the rhesus positive blood from the foetus/baby.
And these antibodies will begin to circulate in the mother's blood, looking for a rhesus positive blood to attack.
In her next pregnancy, they will attack the baby's blood cells, if any event leads to exchange of blood between the mother and the foetus.
If no event happens during pregnancy, and the foetus escapes, then, certainly during delivery exchange of maternal and fetal blood will occur, and these antibodies will have access to the baby's circulatory system, and the blood cells will be destroyed, leading to death.
Thus, death can occur either during pregnancy or after delivery.
There's a drug called Rhogam that prevents all these problems, and I don't understand while those who provide her antenatal services do not place her on it.
Re: Doctors In The House: Kindly Respond by deltateam: 5:12pm On Apr 13, 2020
[quote author=ChybuzzDD post=88402493][/quote]

Thanks.

It means Rhesus factor has lesser danger than Genotype in considering a partner?

What are the best scenario to avoid Rhesus problem.

Should a Rhesus Negative man marry a Rhesus Negative woman and Positive marry Positive?
Re: Doctors In The House: Kindly Respond by ChybuzzDD(m): 5:34pm On Apr 13, 2020
deltateam:

Thanks.

It means Rhesus factor has lesser danger than Genotype in considering a partner?

What are the best scenario to avoid Rhesus problem.

Should a Rhesus Negative man marry a Rhesus Negative woman and Positive marry Positive?

You can say rhesus factor has a 'lesser danger' than genotype in that mortality in rhesus factor incompatibility is easily preventable. But both can cause serial deaths and marital disharmony, and should be considered before marriage.

About 95% of people are rhesus positive(so it'll be difficult to get 2 Rh negatives to marry via random selection). Problem will only occur if a Rh negative woman marries a Rh positive man, and not vice versa. Usually, a Rh negative woman should ideally marry a Rh negative man, but where this fails to occur, good antenatal care and appropriate use of Rhogam will be able to forestall any issue.

A Rh positive woman can marry any man irrespective of the Rhesus factor. Problem is only with a Rh negative woman and a Rh positive man, and as I said earlier, problems resulting from Rh incompatibility can be prevented with good antenatal and postnatal care.
Re: Doctors In The House: Kindly Respond by deltateam: 6:02pm On Apr 13, 2020
ChybuzzDD:

You can say rhesus factor has a 'lesser danger' than genotype in that mortality in rhesus factor incompatibility is easily preventable. But both can cause serial deaths and marital disharmony, and should be considered before marriage.

About 95% of people are rhesus positive(so it'll be difficult to get 2 Rh negatives to marry via random selection). Problem will only occur if a Rh negative woman marries a Rh positive man, and not vice versa. Usually, a Rh negative woman should ideally marry a Rh negative man, but where this fails to occur, good antenatal care and appropriate use of Rhogam will be able to forestall any issue.

A Rh positive woman can marry any man irrespective of the Rhesus factor. Problem is only with a Rh negative woman and a Rh positive man, and as I said earlier, problems resulting from Rh incompatibility can be prevented with good a ntenatal and postnatal care.

Gratitude for your lecture on this topic.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors In The House: Kindly Respond by nello111: 12:43pm On Apr 15, 2020
this is unrelated though but I hope I can get your attention. your recent topic was removed, the topic on 12k ...
how can I reach you sir to get more info. thanks.
I hope you get this message.

(1) (Reply)

See Why Zikel Cosmetics Is Regarded As A Bad Cosmetics Brand For Nigerians / Buildings Muscles And Biceps Without Weight Lifting / Is It Ok To Do Xray Twice Within Few Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.