Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,202 members, 7,936,721 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 08:53 PM

Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. (952 Views)

Lagos Ranks 5th Best African City To Live, Work In – Brand Finance City Index / What Is The Best Country In The World For Nigerians To Relocate To And Why? / Best Country To Relocate With My Family Apart From Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by TMKsouth: 6:00pm On Apr 20, 2020
South Africans are the most English-proficient people in Africa. This is according to a 2020 report by a global private language tutor, Education First.

The country was ranked top in Africa followed by Kenya.

In terms of cities, Nairobi emerged top in Africa with an English Profeciency Index score of 61.94% followed by Lagos which scored 58.47%.

The ranking was based on English proficiency tests done by a sample of adults in countries that participated.

The scores are achieved through analysing results from 2.3 million adults who took an online test via EF Standard English Test where 100 countries participated.

https://briefly.co.za/61199-kenyans-ranked-second-english-proficiency-africa.html

Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by sexylassie(f): 6:02pm On Apr 20, 2020
You are named best whatever but you still write english proficiency test to immigrate or study abroad, what an irony.
Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by hodari: 7:21pm On Apr 20, 2020
Kenyans and Zimbabweans have the best spoken and written English in Africa. That one of South Africa na wash.

Mzansi people cannot speak English to save their lives-they prefer to speak Tsotsitaal just like Nigerians and their Pidgin.
Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by KLEINBASS: 7:41pm On Apr 20, 2020
hodari:
Kenyans and Zimbabweans have the best spoken and written English in Africa. That one of South Africa na wash.

Mzansi people cannot speak English to save their lives-they prefer to speak Tsotsitaal just like Nigerians and their pidgin.

This one is used off prostitutes of hillbrow and thinks he knows South Africans.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by Nobody: 7:48pm On Apr 20, 2020
KLEINBASS:

This one is used off prostitutes of hillbrow and thinks he knows South Africans.

Lol
Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by Nobody: 7:49pm On Apr 20, 2020
sexylassie:
You are named best whatever but you still write english proficiency test to immigrate or study abroad, what an irony.
Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by hodari: 8:51pm On Apr 20, 2020
KLEINBASS:

Exse, I prefer the Mzansi magosha in Tembisa. Anuofia.
Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by TMKsouth: 11:18pm On Apr 20, 2020
hodari:

I think the Zimbabweans were not polled, judging by this excerpt below

Other African countries that appeared in the top 100 list included Nigeria (29), Ethiopia (63), Tunisia (65), Egypt (77), Cameroon (83), Sudan (87), Algeria (90), Ivory Coast (96) and Libya (100).
Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by JaceBlaze: 12:14am On Apr 21, 2020
hodari:

Mzansi people cannot speak English to save their lives-they prefer to speak Tsotsitaal just like Nigerians and their pidgin.

I mean why shouldn't we speak our Tsotsitaal? even migrants from our neighbouring countries are hooked by it & and they start speaking like us just to fit in tongue

Where are you from? You sound hooked yourself? wink
Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by hodari: 12:29am On Apr 21, 2020
JaceBlaze:

I mean why shouldn't we speak our Tsotsitaal? even migrants from our neighbouring countries are hooked by it & and they start speaking like us just to fit in tongue

Where are you from? You sound hooked yourself? wink
Eh Wena! What hooked me was the big and juicy nyash of your women. tongue

You should export them na. You'll earn plenty of Rand in foreign exchange. Mzansi fo sho cheesy
Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by JaceBlaze: 12:38am On Apr 21, 2020
hodari:

Eh Wena! What hooked me was the big and juicy nyash of your women. tongue

You should export them na. You'll earn plenty of Rand in foreign exchange. Mzansi fo sho cheesy

E fine pass the bags of cement una dey left back home so so? tongue ...just kidding grin

Export the how? carry them in cargo containers to Lagos port? grin
Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by hodari: 1:27am On Apr 21, 2020
JaceBlaze:

E fine pass the bags of cement una dey left back home so so? tongue ...just kidding grin

Export the how? carry them in cargo containers to Lagos port? grin
Na so. E fine pass Naija wowo own for real wink I still remember my sweet Phindile from Rhodesfield, Jozi.

I'm now married ooo. Quote me and thunder will fire your nyash. grin
Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by JaceBlaze: 1:48am On Apr 21, 2020
hodari:

Na so. E fine pass Naija wowo own for real wink I still remember my sweet Phindile from Rhodesfield, Jozi.

I'm now married ooo. Quote me and thunder will fire your nyash. grin

Hehe I no fit laff na.You still dey reside for Mzansi?

I'm a guy,dude. lipsrsealed .Anyway, enjoy marriage my guy smiley

1 Like

Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by IronGalaxy: 4:20am On Apr 21, 2020
hodari:

Mzansi people cannot speak English to save their lives-they prefer to speak Tsotsitaal just like Nigerians and their Pidgin.
BS. Not everyone speaks Tsotsitaal, depends where you are.
Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by Petyprincess(f): 5:47am On Apr 21, 2020
sexylassie:
Exactly! I have thought about this b4 nd still wondering why Nigeria is an anglophone speaking country bt we still need to write exams to prove our English proficiency when applying for school abroad undecided Maybe not all country demand these exams bt still it baffles me why? Is our English not fluent enough? Our accent not good enough? Is it only white man's English that is official nd accurate? These are questions i did ask myself!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by Usorohtheman(m): 5:50am On Apr 21, 2020
Petyprincess:

Exactly! I have thought about this b4 nd still wondering why Nigeria is an anglophone speaking country bt we still need to write exams to prove our English proficiency when applying for school abroad undecided Maybe not all country demand these exams bt still it baffles me why? Is our English not fluent enough? Our accent not good enough? Is it only white man's English that is official nd accurate? These are questions i did ask myself!

It is because we still speak pidgin English and that is a mixture of our natives and English language.
Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by Petyprincess(f): 5:57am On Apr 21, 2020
Usorohtheman:

It is because we still speak pidgin English and that is a mixture of our natives and English language.
Are you serious? Black Americans have their English slang bt still they don't undergo these exams nd mind you not every Nigerian speaks pidgin English infact some speak pidgin as an alternative like myself it doesn't mean I'm not good in speaking English fluently.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by Usorohtheman(m): 6:06am On Apr 21, 2020
Petyprincess:

Are you serious? Black Americans have their English slang bt still they don't undergo these exams nd mind you not every Nigerian speaks pidgin English infact some speak pidgin as an alternative like myself it doesn't mean I'm not good in speaking English fluently.

Apart from English language, most of the black Americans are not fluent in your languages. And remember, Nigeria is a multilingual country.
Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by Petyprincess(f): 6:20am On Apr 21, 2020
Usorohtheman:

Apart from English language, most of the black Americans are not fluent in your languages. And remember, Nigeria is a multilingual country.
Yeah i know bt dnt forget our official language is English,English is our primary language while our tribe language is secondary! I believe as long as Nigerian is an English speaking country we ought not to undergo these exams bt it's their rule nd they aren't forcing no one which i understand bt i can't help bt wonder the reason though

1 Like

Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by Usorohtheman(m): 6:21am On Apr 21, 2020
Petyprincess:

Yeah i know bt dnt forget our official language is English,English is our primary language while our tribe language is secondary! I believe as long as Nigerian is an English speaking country we ought not to undergo these exams bt it's their rule nd they aren't forcing no one which i understand bt i can't help bt wonder the reason though

Maybe we should dump the language and start communicating with our natives.
Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by Nobody: 9:32am On Apr 21, 2020
Petyprincess:

False... your primary language is your tribal tongue/language while English is your secondary language. In other words, you would be deemed an L2 speaker of English any time any day.

Don't distort facts.

But then, I agree with you on a few other things you've said though.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Named Second-best African City In English Proficiency, SA Best Country. by TMKsouth: 10:27am On Apr 21, 2020
Petyprincess:

[b]Yeah i know bt dnt forget our official language is English,[/b]English is our primary language while our tribe language is secondary!?

I think this is absurd in an African country. Is there no other indigenous language/s that are also official?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

5 Tallest Skyscrapers Currently Under Construction (pictures) / Similarities Between Nigeria And South Africa *SHOCKING* / We Still Have Nice And Good Nigerians Abroad (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.