Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,983 members, 7,963,115 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 06:18 AM

Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate ! (502 Views)

BREAKING: Buhari Picks Amaechi As His Running Mate? / APC Drops Buhari & Picks Tambuwal As Presidential Candidate? / Would Consider Tunde Bakare As The Martin Luther King Jr. Of Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Picks Bakare As Running Mate ! by wales(m): 6:13am On Feb 01, 2011
The presidential candidate of the Congress for Progressive Change, Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), on Monday picked the Convener of the Save Nigeria Group, Pastor Tunde Bakare, as his running mate in the April election.

Buhari, through his spokesperson, Mr. Yinka Odumakin, said the choice of Bakare was based on the need, “to put the best feet forward in what promises to be a decisive political challenge for the soul of Nigeria.”

According to him, “We have seen the uncommon enthusiasm of our people to register to vote in spite of the many challenges of the exercise.

It speaks of their desire to do what Tunisians and Egyptians are doing on the streets, through the ballot box in April.

“There is a compelling need to give them a ticket that will make all their sacrifices worth the while and that is what we have done.”

Condemning the wave of violence in Borno, Plateau and other parts of the country, Buhari said, ”It is sad that these dastardly acts are taking place without any coordinated response from the government to guarantee the safety of lives and property.

Meanwhile, the Convener of the SNG has agreed to run as Buhari’s running mate.

Bakare, in an interview on Monday said he made up his mind because he felt satisfied with the decision.

He, however, added that it was not a ‘do-or-die’ affair.

He said, “It is a tug of destiny. It has been there since my childhood to rescue Nigeria one way or the other. I want to contribute my quota but I didn’t know this is the way it will come. I didn’t join any political party for this. This is the way to put into practice all the things we have been talking about. This is not a do-or die affair. At least, I will not be guilty of not trying.”

Responding to questions on his electoral value, Bakare alluded to the story of Joseph in the Bible, saying, “Joseph in the Bible became Prime Minister and the key requirement in him was this ‘one in whom the spirit of God dwells.’ That is all.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201102013553076

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Going To Arrest Who? / Ddc Machines: Ijaws Allege Ethnic Slant / Electoral Officials: Nearly 55 Million Registered To Vote In Nigeria Ahead Of Ap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.