Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,158 members, 7,963,786 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 06:53 PM

Inexperienced Poultry Farmer Needs Help - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Inexperienced Poultry Farmer Needs Help (389 Views)

Poultry Farmer Kills Snake That Has Been Eating His Chickens And Eggs (Photos) / Poultry Farmer Cries Out After Losing 100 Broilers In A Day / Imo State Taskforce Destroys A Poultry Farmer's Day-Old Chicks (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inexperienced Poultry Farmer Needs Help by Danbukason(m): 2:20pm On Aug 10, 2020
Good day all, I am an inexperienced farmer who is trying to make a living out of poultry farming.
I started poultry farming last month with 20 brooded broilers. After getting the birds, I feed the with "Trend feed" for 2 days, later I switched to "Cornerstone feed" which was quite okay.
I noticed that during the time I was feeding them with "Cornerstone starter", they just select all the bigger grains and I am Left with the powdered ones which eventually became waste. I decided to try "New Hope Finisher today" which is well moulded without any Chaff. Although it appears the feed was to big for the birds to swallow and many of them are not accepting it. Infact around 50% refuse eating the feed.
My birds Will be 7 weeks this week and the feed was recommended for adequate growth and weight gain. I plan keep them till 9 weeks before selling them off.
Please I would like to know the possible cause of this, also I would like to be well guided thoroughly on how to get over this.
Experienced farmers, please assist me with a solution.
Thanks.
Re: Inexperienced Poultry Farmer Needs Help by BlueOrange: 2:28pm On Aug 10, 2020
I don't know much but it's too early/late to panic the learning should have taken place before the battle started and not during
Re: Inexperienced Poultry Farmer Needs Help by Xristars(m): 2:35pm On Aug 10, 2020
You even did well for an inexperienced farmer.
What is the average weight of the birds, and is their size ok?
Yes finisher can be given at 7weeks if the birds are big enough to shallow it, but if not you have to continue with your starter or get a better finisher eg: Top feed or ultimate feed.

Or better still consult a near by farmer.
Re: Inexperienced Poultry Farmer Needs Help by Danbukason(m): 2:43pm On Aug 10, 2020
Here are samples of the "New Hope Finisher"

Re: Inexperienced Poultry Farmer Needs Help by Abidecdrock(m): 3:47pm On Aug 10, 2020
Did you feed with crumbled feed when using starter?
Try help them crush the feed a little.
They are not used to pelletized yet.
Re: Inexperienced Poultry Farmer Needs Help by Danbukason(m): 9:47pm On Aug 10, 2020
[color=#006600][/color]
Abidecdrock:
Did you feed with crumbled feed when using starter?
Try help them crush the feed a little.
They are not used to pelletized yet.

Yes I fed them with crumbled starter feed from the onset. I crushed the finisher a little, still watching them but their response to the feed is getting better.
Thank you, I believe they would adapt soon.
Re: Inexperienced Poultry Farmer Needs Help by Nedlog01(m): 12:14pm On Aug 11, 2020
Hi, There is now a platform created to support and grow agricultural and food related brands. It is called The Chicken Farm. Register today with: https://www.thechickenfarm.com.ng/register/TCU20GOL4
It is a site that connects buyers and sellers of chicken products. Products including: Poultry, Fast Food, Equipment, Feed etc can all be sold and bought on the site as long as they relate to chicken.
It's all free

Danbukason:
Good day all, I am an inexperienced farmer who is trying to make a living out of poultry farming.
I started poultry farming last month with 20 brooded broilers. After getting the birds, I feed the with "Trend feed" for 2 days, later I switched to "Cornerstone feed" which was quite okay.
I noticed that during the time I was feeding them with "Cornerstone starter", they just select all the bigger grains and I am Left with the powdered ones which eventually became waste. I decided to try "New Hope Finisher today" which is well moulded without any Chaff. Although it appears the feed was to big for the birds to swallow and many of them are not accepting it. Infact around 50% refuse eating the feed.
My birds Will be 7 weeks this week and the feed was recommended for adequate growth and weight gain. I plan keep them till 9 weeks before selling them off.
Please I would like to know the possible cause of this, also I would like to be well guided thoroughly on how to get over this.
Experienced farmers, please assist me with a solution.
Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Awesome Agribusiness Investment By AGROSTORY / Used 2016 Caterpillar Tractor For Sale - Perfect Condition / Vegetable Supplies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.