Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,248 members, 7,936,813 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 12:45 AM

Share The Culture And Tradition Of Your Village That Are No Longer Practised. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Share The Culture And Tradition Of Your Village That Are No Longer Practised. (505 Views)

Culture And Tradition Of The Ogho (owo) Kingdom Of Ondo State. / Ijaw Bride Who Was Frowning At Her Wedding Says It’s Tradition / Pictures Of Emir Palaces In The North, Where Tradition And Modernity Blend Well (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Share The Culture And Tradition Of Your Village That Are No Longer Practised. by beauty7: 8:49pm On Dec 27, 2020
My grandmother when she was alive told us that when she was a small girl in our village in Ikot ekpene, there was a culture then.

It involved young ladies and girls going out at night when there was moon to practise what was called MOON DANCE.

She said there were so many ladies who practised MOON DANCING in those days in my village.

But those ladies and girls were considered immoral by some people because after dancing the moon, they would end up sleeping with men.

This custom is no longer practised in my village.

Another practice then in my village in the ancient days was that if someone was speaking to you and you didn't agree,if you beat the Cutlass on your back, the person would no longer discuss the issue with you.

You must not dare continue discussing the issue with anyone who had beaten a Cutlass at his back.

This custom is no longer practised in my village.

Please share the ancient culture of your village that is no longer practised.
Re: Share The Culture And Tradition Of Your Village That Are No Longer Practised. by beauty7: 9:55pm On Jan 10, 2021
Another thing that is no longer practised is the worship of a carved object commonly known in the local dialet as "Nyen Nsoi".

It was so common in the ancient days.

Very early in the morning, the owner of the carved object would go to his or her carved object and began to declare some statements before the carved object such as:

"I have not offended the day and the day has not offended me"

"I have not stolen anybody's items"

"I have not killed anyone"

And etc.

After making these statements,he would go out with confidence that nothing evil would happen to him.
Re: Share The Culture And Tradition Of Your Village That Are No Longer Practised. by beauty7: 10:04pm On Jan 10, 2021
Another thing that was prevalent in those days was that if a female child was given birth to,

a man (no matter how old) could come and propose to the newly born baby girl by putting money in the chalk container.

The baby girl automatically becomes a spouse of the man.

It was so commonplace in those days that most baby girls already had male suitors before they even knew how to walk.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Poorest Rappers! Rappers Who Went Broke! / Which Culture Did Traditional Wedding Originated / Tree Where Witches And Wizards Hold Their Meetings In Agbor. Even A Caterpillar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.