Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,237 members, 7,936,805 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 12:13 AM

Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? (17511 Views)

Can This Be Termed Exam Malpractice? / The Love Letter A Secondary School Boy Sent To His Teacher, Chioma (pics) / ICPC Arraigns VC Of Richmond Open University With Secondary School Certificate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by GoodGovernance: 10:22am On Dec 02, 2023
Formal basic education includes primary and secondary school education.That is global standard.

So from the point of view of formal education, yes.

You may however wish to grade the type of education. Basically , well or highly educated?

Also note that education could be formal (school)or informal(out of school).

Education could also be broad or specific to a topic or area of knowledge.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Rejouir: 10:24am On Dec 02, 2023
brainhgeek:
Is Buhari educated or not?
That answers your question
grin, Can't you see his results with the kind of economy he left behind, can you address like that as someone educated. It's these aboki People i blame. For you to have said this.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Melanyn(m): 10:24am On Dec 02, 2023
If he has money

1 Like

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by beardedboy(m): 10:26am On Dec 02, 2023
Beverlyjean:
Absolutely.... University or college( usa) is basically for careers preparation

Another mistake Nigerians make, is thinking that graduates are only those that completed university education... a person that completed secondary school education is also a graduate
You're fully on point. 💯
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by GoodGovernance: 10:27am On Dec 02, 2023
announcement:
Someone on Nairaland once defined education as :

EDUCATION = INFORMATION + APPLICATION

Truely this is what education means irrespective of your qualification.

Great!

1 Like

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by musicwriter(m): 10:29am On Dec 02, 2023
Jeux:
I just read a post on romance section and it got me wondering if a school cert holder can be said to be educated .

The first problem is that you're assuming you're an educated person yourself. Oh, well, it depends on what you define education as because in the 1920's, those with first school living certificate were considered educated and they got jobs.

Up till the 60's, 70's, even 80's, those with secondary school certificate got jobs in high ranking offices after leaving school. As a matter of fact I am not sure a university graduate has ruled Nigeria unless maybe Tinubu.

Education has degraded to the point where we should rather be asking whether someone who finished from a university today could be called educated.

But as someone rightly said, any serious student out of secondary school has already got general knowledge. You only go to the university to specialize on a field.

I finished from a secondary school but I didn't stop my education and would never stop. Education has no end because there's always something to learn. In short, anyone that stopped his/her education after leaving the university, is not educated.

1 Like

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by TrustNone: 10:29am On Dec 02, 2023
beardedboy:

Read your comment again, you'll see it isn't intellectual.
another WAEC holder spotted grin
Omo una plenty for this forum ooo
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by timilehin007(m): 10:31am On Dec 02, 2023
gameova:
Education is of the mindset. Someone who knows what he/she was doing in the secondary school and paid full attention to teachers and book study and also gave all the best in exams and aced it all is educated.

Exception is those that partake in exam malpractice and miracle center and wasn't paying attention in classes or books and even missing many classes outrightly.
God bless you abundantly. This was exactly my mindset towards the question. That your initial comment was a bit confusing, I was like, what was funny with the question the OP asked, like I didn’t understand your stance concerning the question
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Sleekfingers: 10:33am On Dec 02, 2023
Jeux:
I just read a post on romance section and it got me wondering if a school cert holder can be said to be educated.

A primary school cert is educated.,
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by RepoMan007: 10:33am On Dec 02, 2023
Yes.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Akano5(m): 10:34am On Dec 02, 2023
oliverwrites:
I left class room education at SS1, two master degree holders are in my employment.

People wrongly think class room education is the only way people can be educated.

You see life, I told them; the real education is secondary school..
And we all have different destinies in life.

Some graduates can't write an Informal letter.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by brainhgeek(m): 10:36am On Dec 02, 2023
Rejouir:
grin, Can't you see his results with the kind of economy he left behind, can you address like that as someone educated. It's these aboki People i blame. For you to have said this.
You have spoken. Being educated is relative. Education is what you call it.
Ultimately, I think it is what is left when all your learned is class is forgotten and you are left with experience and intellectual synthesis
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Autobot05: 10:40am On Dec 02, 2023
A very dumb post
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Akano5(m): 10:42am On Dec 02, 2023
TrustNone:
secondary school leaver spotted. stop consoling yourself with mediocrity.
Try all possible means and gain admission to the university and graduate.
E get why

All possible means you say?
You think getting into university is Sugar.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by TradingGod: 10:42am On Dec 02, 2023
beardedboy:

Read your comment again, you'll see it isn't intellectual.
guy why na

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by TradingGod: 10:46am On Dec 02, 2023
Rejouir:

Hmmmm so all the past governors that failed to deliver are all uneducated abi?

See your reasoning? undecided
Indeed going to school does not mean that you are educated
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by pongwa(m): 10:47am On Dec 02, 2023
Jeux:
I just read a post on romance section and it got me wondering if a school cert holder can be said to be educated .
is secondary school not secondary EDUCATION again? @Op you are an illiterate if you do not know this
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by JuanDeDios: 10:48am On Dec 02, 2023
Jeux:
Are you joking? How will you classify them before - uneducated?
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by gameova(m): 10:49am On Dec 02, 2023
timilehin007:

God bless you abundantly. This was exactly my mindset towards the question. That your initial comment was a bit confusing, I was like, what was funny with the question the OP asked, like I didn’t understand your stance concerning the question
Amen. I found the question funny cos the answer to the question is just common sense and the topic doesn't even need to be created or put on frontpage but hey what do i know, anything for traffic and engagement.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by beardedboy(m): 10:59am On Dec 02, 2023
TrustNone:
another WAEC holder spotted grin
Omo una plenty for this forum ooo
I hope you're enjoying your 30k stipend.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by stallionng: 10:59am On Dec 02, 2023
Some secondary schools students speak and write good and better English more than most of these half baked so called graduates who passed through sorting lecturers and never attended classes .so who is educated amongst them?
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by iamclime(m): 11:07am On Dec 02, 2023
The meaning of education and educated in the dictionary should settle it.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Abbeytoy(m): 11:11am On Dec 02, 2023
Jeux:
I just read a post on the romance section and it got me wondering if a school cert holder can be said to be educated.

Can a 300-level dropout be called educated?

Being educated is not all about certificate.
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Dennisochampa: 11:16am On Dec 02, 2023
If u want to see it that way.... Even a PhD holder is not educated....
Education is a function of how developed your level of thinking is and not by the certificates you have to your name....
A secondary school waec holder can think faster than a PhD holder so as long as you can read and write and you're capable of logical reasoning.. .. Then in my opinion you're educated......
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by HellVictorinho6(m): 11:21am On Dec 02, 2023
Spits!
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Omoluabi16(m): 11:23am On Dec 02, 2023
Even a very skilled mechanic, fashion designer or cook can be called educated. Education could be tertiary, vocational or other forms.

1 Like

Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Akaegwu(m): 11:27am On Dec 02, 2023
CJStarz:

Bros,I hope you have no 'covenant' with any of them?😂
No way, 'Madonna' oh sorry, Maradona
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by CJStarz: 11:36am On Dec 02, 2023
Akaegwu:
No way, 'Madonna' oh sorry, Maradona
Werey 🤣🤣🤣
Guy,no let the sun 'Blaze' U ooo😂
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by Ykc2(m): 11:36am On Dec 02, 2023
Buhari with nepa certificate ruled nigeria school cert holder is a professor
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by acorntree(m): 11:37am On Dec 02, 2023
beardedboy:

Secondary is the real education. University is for learning a skill.

Unfortunately, in Nigeria we see university as education. This why people waste five years studying a skill they neither have interest in nor have enjoy. Then, after five years they start thinking of learning a skill.

With all due respect to Chief Awolowo andvhis good will, I believe his legacy of "free university education for all" has done more evil for us as a society than good.

University isn't for everyone. Agreed, university graduates (especially post graduates) are the intellectual elites of every profession and society.
They're innovators and sit at the top of the intellectual pyramid. However, people like this SHOULD only make up 5% (or even less) of a good society. Most of the jobs and problems are repetitive and generic.

For example, real software engineers are very few. Most software developers are just consumers of libraries and frameworks. Also, most of us just need tailors to sew something in vogue for us, we don't need a shiny new design that no one has ever seen. And so on and so forth.

Our government should remove hands from our universities and maybe polytechnics. They should focus on making our secondary school up to standard such that a student of public secondary school can write and pass waec and jamb without any extra lesson/tutorial or illegal centre. After that, everybody should go and learn mechanic, electrical, plumbing, tiling, hairdressing, baking, carpentry and even some white collar jobs like data analysis and web development.

Many of the jobs that require bsc today are just entry-level jobs that were meant for secondary school finishers in those days. All these bank cashier jobs are normally for waec holders.

Why categorise web development and data analysis with carpentry, hairdressing etc. if you're not well educated you can't do web development and data analysis
Re: Can A Secondary School Certificate Holder Be Termed “Educated”? by santaclaws: 11:37am On Dec 02, 2023
Jeux:

Primary school is for basic education (meaning you should be able to read and write after primary school).

Secondary school is for secondary education where you learn more advanced subjects like arts, sciences etc. And after that, you have your tertiary education which is NOT mandatory unless you want to work in a field that requires further education.

A secondary school leaver is educated enough to take on life. 80% of all the education you need in life is embedded in your primary and secondary school education. University is a waste of time for certain people but we don't understand that yet in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Updates On Unaab Post Utme Cut-off / List Of Top Universities That Accept 150 Jamb Cut-off Mark, Even You Never Choos / Junior Waec Time Table 2017 (in Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.