Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,892 members, 7,959,786 topics. Date: Friday, 27 September 2024 at 07:26 AM

Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? (970 Views)

DJ Switch To CNN: Nigeria Is A Dictatorship With A Democratic Face / 2019 Elections: The States Buhari And Atiku Won / BREAKING: Atiku Will Win 2019 Presidential Elections - The Economist Magazine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by BluntCrazeMan: 5:31am On Jun 15, 2021
I really need to know if “Periodic Elections” is the only thing that characterises Democracy.
If there are other things, I need to know all of them..
(The Nigerian Democracy had always been like as if the only thing that is democratic about it is the “periodic elections”, and nothing else -- I don't want to believe this though)
Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by BluntCrazeMan: 5:34am On Jun 15, 2021
I am here to learn from the politcal gurus.
Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by BluntCrazeMan: 5:35am On Jun 15, 2021
Lalasticlala,
Seun
Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by Monogamy: 5:43am On Jun 15, 2021
shocked

The players in our democratic system are not just the right person..

Blame the leadership of all the political parties

1 Like

Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by Nobody: 5:48am On Jun 15, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
I really need to know if “Periodic Elections” is the only thing that characterises Democracy.
(The Nigerian Democracy had always been like as if the only thing that is democratic about it is the “periodic elections”, and nothing else -- I don't want to believe this though)

“Democracy” is simply a SCAM

2 Likes

Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by BluntCrazeMan: 5:50am On Jun 15, 2021
biafraWarrior:

But “Democracy” is what we have already.
Can we make it work?
Is there a way to make it work?
Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by BluntCrazeMan: 5:52am On Jun 15, 2021
A lot of the rascalities of the ruling parties (which includes the abandonment of the laws while making policies) are partly blamed on the opposition parties for not doing their job of opposition very well.
And I am now asking:
“What exactly are the jobs of the opposition?”
Is it to publish the rascalities of the ruling parties on the news and social media?
Or to sue the ruling parties to court?
I mean, what exactly are they supposed to be doing?
By extension:
“What exactly are the jobs of a non-partisan citizen who really wants to make an impact on the politcal system in a democratic system?”

1 Like

Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by Nobody: 5:54am On Jun 15, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
But that is what we have already.
Can we make it work?
Is there a way to make it work?

In all honesty, the Nigeria political system is weak and majority of the Nigerian people have psychological problems. GOOD Education and GOOD LEADERS is one way to make things right

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by BluntCrazeMan: 5:57am On Jun 15, 2021
biafraWarrior:

In all honesty, the Nigeria political system is weak and majority of the Nigerian people have psychological problems. GOOD Education and GOOD LEADERS is one way to make things right
Thanks for your contributions.
But apart from “Periodic Elections”; are there other things that characterises Democracy?
Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by Tajbol4splend(m): 5:58am On Jun 15, 2021
biafraWarrior:

This simply means you have no clue what DEMOCRACY is

That the country has suffered from bad leadership doesn't make DEMOCRACY a SCAM

DEMOCRACY is freedom, freedom is Godliness
Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by BluntCrazeMan: 6:04am On Jun 15, 2021
Tajbol4splend:

This simply means you have no clue what DEMOCRACY is

That the country has suffered from bad leadership doesn't make DEMOCRACY a SCAM

DEMOCRACY is freedom, freedom is Godliness
Finally, someone is here to give me the answers I needed.
Please, apart from the “Periodic Elections”; are there other things that characterises Democracy?
What exactly is it that makes Democracy Freedom? (Since citizens cannot freely participate in it, except they participate through their representatives, and these so-called representatives are also inaccessible, while they continued to represent themselves rather than be representing their constituents)
Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by Nobody: 6:05am On Jun 15, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
But apart from “Periodic Elections”; are there other things that characterises Democracy?

First of all what is the true meaning of “Democracy”?

Democracy is simply the rule of the people.

Now how do the people rule in Nigeria? We rule using “Representative Democracy”.

In representative democracy, you choose by voting and it is expected that the representatives carry out the will of the people.

APART FROM THAT I DON’T SEE HOW THE PEOPLE CAN DO ANYTHING IN A DEMOCRACY EXCEPT TO PRESSURE AND LOBBY

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by Nobody: 6:06am On Jun 15, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:

Democracy is not FREEDOM
Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by BluntCrazeMan: 6:08am On Jun 15, 2021
biafraWarrior:

Democracy is not FREEDOM
Let us assume a Perfect Democratic System now..
The Democracy of our dreams.
Now, tell us what you think of Democracy.
Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by Nobody: 6:10am On Jun 15, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
Let us assume a Perfect Democratic System now..
The Democracy of our dreams.
Now, tell us what you think of Democracy.

What exactly is “The Democracy of our dreams”?
Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by BluntCrazeMan: 6:11am On Jun 15, 2021
biafraWarrior:

First of all what is the true meaning of “Democracy”?

Democracy is simply the rule of the people.

Now how do the people rule in Nigeria? We rule using “Representative Democracy”.

In representative democracy, you choose by voting and it is expected that the representatives carry out the will of the people.

APART FROM THAT I DON’T SEE HOW THE PEOPLE CAN DO ANYTHING IN A DEMOCRACY EXCEPT TO PRESSURE AND LOBBY
Thanks..
I understand you better now.
Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by BluntCrazeMan: 6:12am On Jun 15, 2021
biafraWarrior:

Where citizens feel the full participation in the Government.
Not just in the politics alone, but also in the Government itself.
Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by Monogamy: 6:13am On Jun 15, 2021
biafraWarrior:

We can only achieve the democracy of our dreams if

The main party fulfill majority of their promises

If the opposition criticize constructively and suggest solutions to the problems facing the country

If the citizens play their roles in the so called democracy by electing credible people in power

1 Like

Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by Nobody: 6:15am On Jun 15, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
Where citizens feel the full participation in the Government.
Not just in the politics alone, but also in the Government itself.

Then that would lead to “Direct Democracy”
Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by Tajbol4splend(m): 6:19am On Jun 15, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
Finally, someone is here to give me the answers I needed.
Please, apart from the “Periodic Elections”; are there other things that characterises Democracy?
What exactly is it that makes Democracy Freedom? (Since citizens cannot freely participate in it, except they participate through their representatives, and these so-called representatives are also inaccessible, while they continued to represent themselves rather than be representing their constituents)

You can't use Nigeria setting to judge what DEMOCRACY is, the route problem of a faulty DEMOCRATIC system is not the leadership, it's the followership because the followership is a far stronger entity than the leadership. The leadership in the real sense should be afraid of the followership but in the Nigeria setting, even the PhD holder doesn't know his right. One major problem in the Nigeria setting that makes the leadership look more powerful than the followership is the division in the followership. I always say that the kind of leadership we have had in Nigeria is a reflection of what the followership is, there's more to talk about in Nigeria, but let me go and observe Subuhi

1 Like

Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by Nobody: 6:31am On Jun 15, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:

I have been saying this since, we should focus on strengthening the “Rule of Law”. Democracy is a term that has lost its original meaning.

Democracy is simply the rule of the people, that is where it ends

YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN THAT PICTURE BETWEEN USA AND NIGERIA

2005 map of Worldwide Governance Indicators, which attempts to measure the extent to which agents have confidence in and abide by the rules of society.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by orisa37: 6:35am On Jun 15, 2021
Good Question.

Others are Police(Social security. The basis of Fundamental human Rights ascertainment, maintenance and protection)

And RESOURCES (Finding and expending all available measure of VALUE RELATIONSHIP. This is Economic security).

ELECTIONS is Political DEVOLUTION of AUTHORITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES for selecting, appointing and electing REPRESENTATIVES to grassroots local Government and STATES.

The essence is to ensure that everyone is involved.

From Orunto27.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by CandiceJay(f): 6:37am On Jun 15, 2021
Democracy as it ought to be

It's a "people's government". In a sane democratic government, the people elect representatives and the decisions and actions taken by those constituted authorities are supposed to be for the interest of the majority while still respecting the opinions of the minority. That's one of the characteristics of Democracy.

Also is the existence of a constitution/ the rule of law which sees the constitution as
supreme. The constitution is supposed to guide all actions. So in meeting the interest of the majority, authorities are not supposed to work outside of the law. It's the checking factor in play to prevent abuse of power.

A periodic free and fair election- Being a people's government, the people get to decide who represents them over a period of time and if their representative isn't meeting up to expectation, we elect someone else.

Existence of Rights- For all (majority plus minority). So even if I don't belong to the majority that voted in a ruling party, my rights should still be respected and upheld.

Public opinion as well. If not, how exactly are the people supposed to be heard Could be through the media, peaceful protests and demonstrations...

There's separation of powers amongst others...

Democracy is meant to serve, it's supposed to be beautiful, give the people a voice, and it's supposed to unite a people. But this is all "as it ought to be" not "as is practiced in Nigeria".

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by Arda1000(m): 6:41am On Jun 15, 2021
I think what Op is trying to picture is that the only thing democratic in Nigeria is only elections,aside coming out to vote there's nothing absolutely democratic in Nigeria (qoute me wrong)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by yanabasee1(m): 7:01am On Jun 15, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:

This is more or less a project topic and you want to gathe our ideas to write it as it's your original idea...
Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by BluntCrazeMan: 12:00pm On Jun 15, 2021
yanabasee1:

This is more or less a project topic and you want to gathe our ideas to write it as it's your original idea...

What exactly are you trying to say??
So, if I gather up to 300 ideas from different individuals and combine them to make my own unique idea, and then give the credit to this very thread here, is there anything wrong with it??
Like, what exactly is your real wahalla??
Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by BluntCrazeMan: 12:10pm On Jun 15, 2021
biafraWarrior:

Then that would lead to “Direct Democracy”
Please, can you throw more light on the “Direct Democracy”??
How exactly is the direct participation of the citizens achieved?
Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jun 15, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
Please, can you throw more light on the “Direct Democracy”??
How exactly is the direct participation of the citizens achieved?

I no sabi government or politics
It’s on google sha

1 Like

Re: Is “Elections” The One-And-Only Characteristic Of A Democratic System?? by BluntCrazeMan: 5:02pm On Jun 15, 2021
biafraWarrior:

I no sabi government or politics
It’s on google sha
I know about Google.
But I want Nairaland.
Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Bandits Massacred more Than 100 Kebbi Villagers In Broad Daylight / Gowon 1967 Letter To BBC Urging Distortion Of Biafra Situation / Is Sani Abacha Still The Worst President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.