Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,070 members, 7,890,525 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 03:26 PM

In Between - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / In Between (5628 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Between by Dapalace: 3:48pm On Sep 22, 2021
IN-BETWEEN
Episode 1
By AMAH'S HEART

"Marry me" he said to her as they sat opposite and very close to each other in an exclusive lounge.

Veronica looked at him speechless. She wasn't sure of what she heard.

"Marry you? She asked just to be certain that she was hearing correctly

"Yes, I said marry me.... Vero. you're the best thing that has ever happened to me and it will be a great pleasure to spend the rest of my life with you. I love you and want you to be my wife..."

She was suddenly uncomfortable, she was not sure anymore.

This was the fourth week of meeting him, they started dating few days later after meeting and three weeks later he was already proposing.
No doubt she loves him right from the second they met.
It was in an event and they clique so well and felt inseparable.
Her faith had restrained her from getting intimate with him yet. He had tried to but she turned it down.

One of the questions she asked him was
"Are you a true born again?

"Ofcourse I'm a Christian and a worker in my church. my parents were both Evangelist before an unfortunate accident claim their lives, leaving me and my elder sister. We were groomed in a Christian home, baptised and took our Faith serious... although I fall out ones in a while but God bear me witness that s never intentionally. Sometimes my flesh desires take hold over my entire being...yes Vero, I'm a true born again. And my reasons for coming to you was because I saw godliness in you and it was as if the holy Spirit is asking you to make you my wife...."

Veronica had blushed at the last statement.
Peter was quiet convincing and she was happy that he was a true believer.

This conversation took place few days after meeting for the first time and just few weeks later he was asking her to marry him.

Even though she loved him but she was not sure if he was truly the right one for her.
She was a strong believer and usually consult God over everything but recently she has been a little distracted with Pete
Even to the extent of skipping her Bible reading class which she was one of the coordinators
She sometimes forgets to pray at night and even morning, unlike like her. majority of the time she was on a call with Pete.
He calls her during her bedtime and she will speak for a long time with him and doze off after then, he wakes her up with an early morning call.
They will continue talking until she was out of bed and straight to the bathroom trying to get ready for work.

Pete showers her with too much attention and love.
Buying her gifts and different accessories.
Veronica felt really loved and even though it seems her prayer life was getting cold but her relationship with Pete was getting hotter.

"Vero... babe....you haven't answered me..."?
He tapped her bringing back her attention to the present

"Ehmmm... Pete. I don't know what to say. I haven't even prayed about this...i don't know how to reply you...Seriously...!

"Why, you should atleast say something. I thought you love me as much as I do...? What could be the problem...
He asked taking her hands into his while squeezing them gently.

"There's no problem Pete...is just that is not yet upto a month that we started dating. Although it felt like I have known you all my life right from the first day of meeting and loved you ever since but...

"But what again... there's no "But" Vero. The love we have for each other is enough. You don't need to know somebody for years or decades or even months before your heart tells you that they are the one for you. A day is enough to know. a week is even too much...a month is just to prolong the relationship. Any serious guy who is ready to settle down will not see a woman for him and begin to prolong the relationship... except if the relationship is just for fun...or he doesn't have the financial capability to settle down. I'm too old to be running in cycle Vero. I have what it takes...money is not a problem for me. I manages my father's business and also work in a big pharmaceutical company that pays well. I have money and love for you Vero... If you don't want or love me enough...I will totally understand and move on instead of wasting my time...

Veronica quickly hushed him

"No...no... Pete. Is okay...I wil.. will marry you...

Pete started grinning from ear to ear.

"That's what I'm talking about. Vero...I don't have a ring at the moment to engage you but I promise that i will order the best most expensive ring online and have it delivered tomorrow or next... hope that's okay by you?

Vero smiled with a nod. Pete poured one of the expensive drinks that he ordered as they cheered to their new engagement.

Deep down Veronica hopes she was doing the right thing.

tbc
Re: In Between by Dapalace: 6:47pm On Sep 23, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 2
By AMAH'S HEART

She sat with her friend, Jane who visited her that weekend as they went on and on gisting like besties.

"Vero, you should be excited.. like seriously. Many will be jumping with excitement if they were in your shoes right now. You dated Martin for close to three years and he never gave you a ring or asked you to marry him. Pete showed up like an angel into your life and after few weeks or knowing each other and dating he asked you to marry him... this is wonderful. I don't understand Why you're worried or wearing a long face as if he was forcing you to marry him...or did he force you?

"No... Jane, marrying Pete isn't the problem because I love him too but I don't know if God approves. He seems too good to be true and the whole proposal thing happened so soon...

Jane sighed impatiently and said.
"will you rather want to wait for a whole year or two until he probably gets tired, see another woman and pursue his fantasy... Some men are like that...when they're bored in a relationship they start thinking of trying new things. Is not all men though...and I know God who brought Pete on your way and make him propose is a good and kind God. If he didn't approve of it Pete wouldn't have met you. That guy is not only wealthy, he is too fine and generous. The other day he took us out and ended up shopping a bag full of wears and Jewelries for me. You better cheer up and start thanking God because a man like Pete is hot cake... And girl, you love good things, even though you work and make your own money but having a man spoil you feels heavenly. I'm also a lover of gifts and wouldn't want to come around and won't be able to relax, eat, drink anything I like plus and even take home present too....

Jane began to giggle as she lift her her drink glass to her mouth.

Veronica chuckled.

"You're right. Pete is God sent and I shouldn't worry over anything because this is the pure blessings of the Lord... and there's no sorrow to it. He's coming tonight with my engagement ring...he ordered one of the most expensive ring online and will be presenting it to me later tonight. You are invited..."

"I would have sued you if I was left out of the show. I'm already planning on the dress to wear as your chief bridesmaid..."

She stood up and started demonstrating making Veronica to laugh even more.

That evening Pete showed up and took Veronica and Jane out.
He already booked down VIP table and had drinks ordered.
He brought out the expensive diamond glistering ring and gave to Veronica.

Seeing the diamond ring left Jane's mouth open

Even Veronica was dumbfounded too.
They cheered to the new begining that was about to take place.

After eating and drinking, he drove them back home.
He dropped Jane at her place before driving Veronica home.

He decided to stay over and didn't go back to his place that night.

He made attempt in getting intimate but Veronica was not okay with that.

"Vero, we're engaged already and about to get married... what's the turn off for again. You are my wife, it remains to make it official. I don't understand what is keeping us away...

"Okay... ok... you're right. I want this as much as you do but after i break up with my ex..I made up my mind to remain celibate untill I meet my husband. Is over a year now before I finally met you. I already told you my reasons for not wanting to get intimate before now...and like you said, we're as good as married... right?

They got intimate that night and early the following morning.
Veronica was already tired and couldn't prepare for church on time.

Pete asked for a full meal breakfast and Veronica who was out to please her husband to be had no choice than to prepare the meal.
After eating she decided to dress up for church.
She had never gone to church late before. Is unlike her to miss Sunday programs.
She sometimes handles the Sunday School for teenage class.

Going late today is unlikely but God understand.
As she was getting dressed, Pete came and grabbed her from behind.

"You can't possibly leave me alone in the house and go to church..."

", Come let's go together then. Is good to be in the presence of the Lord and you will be delighted that you came. Since we're going to be a couple, is better we get involve with the things of God so that our home will be blessed..."

Pete turned her over to face him.
He kissed her and said.

"You know what honey... you're right. I'm a church boy too and a very godly person. Maybe work and few other things kept me away and having you by my side will make all the difference. But looking at the time... you're already late for service. Maybe you should stay home today with me...we can both go next week. Since I'm here... atleast that's a big reason for you to stay home...

Pete finally convinced Veronica in staying back.
They went back to bed and continued from where they stopped last night.

When people from the church called later in the day to find out why she wasn't in church, Veronica lied that she went out just to avoid any of them coming over to check up on her.

The following day she got ready for work and Pete had a thing to say over that.

"I don't like my woman working for any body. Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that you are independent and career driven but since I have enough that can last us a lifetime...is of no use stressing yourself. After we get married... you will remain home... more like a housewife and if we happen to have a baby, then taking care of the house and the child will be a full time job for you..."

"I don't think that's a good idea darlin. I can still care for my home while working. Working does not limit my ability in becoming a good wife or even a Mom. I enjoys making my own money and I really don't know how to stay home and do nothing..."

Pete drew her closer to his himself

"You will finally get used to staying home honey. beside, what is the point of working since I will be providing enough for the house. I can pay you for staying home and in that way you will still be making your own money since that's what you enjoys doing. All I'm concerned is that I want to come home everyday to my lovely wife with no wrinkles or stress line on her face. Baby, I love you and I want to give you the best... you're my queen Vero, you need to be treated as such. I want my woman for me not for the entire world. And that's the reason alot of things will be cut down if we have to be together...

She nodded and went on getting ready for work.

Veronica does not always like Pete coming over to her place and spending weeks, what if one of her church members or pastor visit and met Pete, they will start thinking that she was living in sin with a man who isn't her husband yet and that is part of what she teaches against in the teen class.
she wish it was the other way round. Going over to his place but Pete had told her before that due to the way he travels and mostly on the road, he had not been able to settle down and get a stable place.
He was either lodging in a hotel or in one of his company's provided accomodations for staffs only.

That was the reason he wants to get married and have a home that he can always come back to.

Veronica believed him. Is a matter of a little time and they will become husband and wife
She told Pete not to worry that things will eventually work itself out when they gets married.
She continued working and did not stop.

Pete who later went back to his place still comes around with different gift for her within the week.
He later traveled and did not come back for about two months but he communicate with Veronica over the phone with every given opportunity.

Jane is mostly around by weekend. Veronica is always happy having her gist partner around.

She told Jane of what Pete said concerning working and becoming a full time housewife.

", That's romantic...i mean you only needs to stay home and do nothing. Pete is such a gentleman...he doesn't want you to pick a pin. Most women will kill to be in your shoes. The only thing I see here is a man who loves his woman and want her only to himself...but wait a second, hope he didn't mention that you will also stay away from me because that's where I will blow hot and go to war with him...

Veronica laughed and replied.
", Not at all. He wouldn't say that because he knows how important you're in my life... silly you. Sometimes Jane, everything about Pete and our togetherness will feel so good and heavenly but sometimes it feels awkward. The rules he wants me to follow is not my kind of person... not that I can't do them but I'm not that kinda lady. Pete is not in a haste for us to get married again...is over five months. He engaged me within a month of meeting but I have wore this engagement ring for about five months and already getting intimate with him when I shouldn't have. You know that I'm a church... praying girl...but ever since after meeting Pete everything seems a little different. Maybe I'm overreacting...I love Pete dearly and he loves me too... that's all that matters right?

", Start getting used to the new wealthy lifestyle. You're twenty seven Vero, already engaged and waiting to get married. What else do you want... atleast you got a ring from a man who adores you and will get married in his time and terms. Your ex took almost three years of your life and still left you with nothing. Pete only took few weeks and made all the difference. You need to do everything to keep him...sex, isn't supposed to be a problem. You gave it freely to Martin and after he left you vowed to remain celibate untill you get married. You can't possibly deny Pete intimacy... what if he goes out there and gets it from another woman... that will be a heavy blow and your relationship won't be solidify like it is now. Relax girl, you're still young and can explore a little more before walking down the altar and living according to Pete's rules..."

They talked alot of other things before Jane later left.
Pete retuned from his journey with lots of goodies for Veronica.
He stayed for two weeks with her before traveling again.
After few more weeks Vero discovered that she was pregnant.

Pete does not appear serious again with the whole marriage thing like he was before he engaged her and they started sleeping together.
Anytime she raised the topic he will tell her to relax, they will be married but she does not see it as part of his agenda anymore
And now she was pregnant, where will she hide her face.
The church will know that she does not practice what she preach.
Even the teenagers that she was teaching the right way will be discourage.
Her pastor will be totally disappointed.
Even though they already know that she was engaged and is been for several months but that is not a guarantee to start having sex with her man and even getting pregnant for the same Man that don't even appear serious again in getting married to her.
Or could it be that Pete only wanted to use the engagement to be getting under her pants because she told him that she can't sleep with a man until she was married.
What if Pete is a fleet, that isn't serious with one woman?
Veronica suddenly began to pray against those thoughts cycling her mind and scaring her off

Even after praying she was still scared and uncertain of what to do since she was already pregnant with Pete's child.

What will Pete say about the pregnancy?
Her fears grows with each passing minute.

Tbc
Re: In Between by dawno2008(m): 6:13pm On Sep 24, 2021
Nice story
Re: In Between by Dapalace: 6:06pm On Sep 27, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 3
By AMAH’S HEART.

After talking to Jane, her friend suggested that she call and inform him right away.

Veronica already knew what exactly she supposed to do, she only needed a little more push.

She called him and Pete told her that he was busy with work and he will get back to her when he is free.

Veronica waited all day but Pete never called back.
She decided to call him again that evening but he was not picking.

He later sent a message that he was occupied and not fully free. He will call her back Later.
Veronica did not sleep that night as he waited and kept hoping Pete will call.

She slept off eventually and when she wakes up in the middle of the night she quickly checked her phone, hoping to see maybe a text or miss calls but none was on the screen

The following morning she called again.

“Hello Pete…. you never called back again yesterday. we need to talk”
She said immediately Pete picked up.

“Hey honey… Good morning to you too. I’m sorry I couldn’t call back yesterday. I’m driving right now and I will definitely call you once I pack… that’s a promise”

Read more stories @dapalace.com
Veronica agreed and waited for his call. But after two hours and Pete still did not call, she was boiling with anger and picked up her phone to text him.
Just then Pete called.

“I’m sorry babe. A new product just came in and my company picked me as part of the marketing team that will take it to different pharmaceutical stores within the state for proper introduction… well, that is what that have been keeping me busy darling and I’m really sorry that I haven’t called back as promised. You sounded serious earlier… what is the problem, do you need money?

“Pete, money isn’t everything. I know you have money and all but is truly not enough. We seriously need to talk…is not a phone call talk. I wish you can come around or I come over…. anyone.

Pete sighed impatiently before saying.

“No Vero… that won’t be possible. I can’t see you this week or even through out this month. I just explained how busy I am to you. I expect you to understand… you can tell me whatever it is over the phone.

“Okay..ok fine. When are we really getting married Pete?Is almost a year that I have been engaged to you. I’m already twenty eight years and times is flying. You haven’t given me a specific time and that worries me alot. My family… some of the people in the church are asking questions and…

Pete interrupted her

“I don’t care about the people in your church or any other person Vero. They can’t contribute anything to our lives… they’re only there to gossip. We will get married Vero… give me more time. I didn’t plan for things to go this way, I thought we will be officially married couples by now but I can’t beat nature that took a different route for me. You usually say God has a plan for everything… maybe you’re right. At his perfect plan it will happen. Just be praying for me to hit it big. I’m working my ass off to buy us everything good, Have establishment, a nice house to call home and other additional things. Is your patient I need and I have always tell you not to worry yourself out…is unnecessary my love…

“I just need a specific time Pete. I believe you and loves you but I want to know when exactly. My heart will be at rest if you tell me… because.. I’m pregnant…”

There was silent at the other end. Pete was quiet and didn’t respond.
She checked her phone to be sure that the call haven’t ended mistakingly.
But it was still ongoing and Pete haven’t replied yet.

“…. hello… hello Pete. Are you still there…hello. did you hear what I said… I’m pregnant Pete. Pete… hello…

He suddenly cleared his voice and said.
“You can’t be pregnant Vero…I mean i expected you to be careful….to quickly clean up after sex. Do you intend trapping me or forcing me to marry you with this nonsense that you’re saying? How will you allow such mistake? You’re twenty eight Vero and not eleven years old child that wouldn’t know what to do. How could let this happen…?

Veronica laughed annoyingly before saying.
“So… this is my fault right? You’re blaming me for this….do you know how careful I have been ever since we started sleeping together just to avoid falling pregnant. I never wanted to get pregnant untill I’m properly married and I can never trapped you with pregnancy Pete. When we met I wasn’t desperate for marriage, it was after the engagement and no sign of marriage in view I started getting worried…and now I’m pregnant. I didn’t let this happen by choice…I avoided it as much as I can until now. I’m sorry but we need to think a way forward or out of this. My people which includes my church members can’t possibly know…I will be doomed. I don’t know if I will be able to survive the shame. Pete… please. Let’s do something right and fast…”

Pete cleared his voice again, interrupting her.
“You kept mentioning your people and church member Vero. Since you care so much about them then go and marry them. What is wrong with you? Hope you’re aware that you can’t keep the pregnancy Vero. I’m not ready for a baby now and I know you care about your reputation… your family, your church and friends who respect and also count on your integrity. For me… I’m very much into my job especially now that there’s a means to make extra cash from this new product that arrives. I won’t let anything get in the way for me. Honey…I Love you don’t get me wrong but this is a wrong timing. You will have to get rid of it… you can’t keep it. If you need money…I can transfer money for you to go get rid of it. I don’t want to be involved with anything pregnancy…my job is my major priority Vero…I want to make alot of money for us…our future will be bright when we finally settle down. But you need to clean that mistake because I’m not interested… count me out of it…is just a fetus, go and get rid of it…”

“God forbids it. Fornicating was enough sin but commiting murder is unforgivable. God have mercy on you for even suggesting that without thinking. Is not just a fetus Pete… this is the process every human was formed and birthed. I have already offended God enough and I’m trying to get back in line of total service to him…I will never get rid of this pregnancy. Abortion is not even an option because it will never happen… I can’t Pete… that’s having blood stain in my hand which can never be washed off. This are part of the things I preach against in my teenage class. I know I haven’t been practicing what I teach but God forbids it, I won’t do what you’re asking…. Pete, there should be a way… even if is a small wedding or introduction. So that it will appear like I’m married before this pregnancy began to show. please Pete…hello, hello Pete…are you listening to me…?

Veronica checked her phone and realized that he had ended the call since and she has been talking to herself.

Veronica became really troubled. She did not know what to do or who to run to.

Pete claims to love her but he is no longer the man she thought he was.
A God fearing man won’t open his mouth without fear to ask her to commit abortion rather he will find a way to make things right.

What have she gotten herself into now.
“God please… have mercy on me. Have mercy… help me out of this mess that I’m into. Save me Lord, I know I’m unworthy, I know I have fallen off but father because of your abundant grace please do not look at my iniquities… save me. God please.. I’m still your daughter and will serve you better than ever if you can help me out of this. oh Jesus Christ… Lord… don’t allow me to be doomed….”

Veronica kept praying and continued confessing. She asked God to change Pete’s heart so that he can start thinking of settling down with her.

A week past and still no sign of Pete. She was distracted and couldn’t even concentrate at work.
She came up with the idea to go to the church and talk to her pastor.
Jane called to know what she intend doing since Pete is not even picking her calls again.
She told her that she does not know what exactly to do. She was hoping for some miracle so that Pete will do the needful.

Veronica summoned courage and went to her pastor
She told her Pastor about the man who engaged her but ever since then he is no more talking about settling down.
The seriousness she saw in him before the engagement is no more there.
The pastor asked her if they were already sleeping together and she said it only happened twice and the first was a mistake the second time was because they went for a party and got drunk.

Veronica lied and said she had already asked God to forgive her and such won’t happen again.
She hide the fact that she was pregnant already.
The pastor prayed for her and told her that Pete may not be God’s will for her but Veronica who can’t afford the shame of single parenting or even abortion told her Pastor that Pete is only caught up with money making and wanting to give her the world. She told him that Pete loves her and she can’t afford to loose him.
The pastor asked her to keep praying and also include fasting for about three days that God will show her mercy.

Veronica went home, sometimes when she kneel to pray she will be carried away in her thought of Pete.
After few more days Pete called and told her he was coming over.
He asked her if she later aborted the pregnancy and she told him no.

Pete did not say anything as he ended the call.

Veronica was overjoyed and made Pete’s favorite meal as she waited for him.

She called her pastor to inform him that the prayer worked, God has finally answered her.
Her pastor asked her not to relax yet, that she should continue praying she agreed.
Veronica waited all through the day Pete said he was going to come over but she didn’t see him.
She called him and he picked and told her that he was driving, he informed her that he was called in for some emergency at work and couldn’t make it to her place again.

Another week came and went by without Pete showing up or even calling and Veronica worries increased.

She was worst than before because as the days goes her pregnancy kept advancing.

Tbc
Re: In Between by Dapalace: 6:13pm On Sep 27, 2021
.IN BETWEEN
Episode 4
By AMAH’S HEART

She couldn’t take it anymore, if nothing is done soonest she will end up as a single parent and God forbids it, she had never fashioned her life as a single mother

She teaches against single parenting for the teenagers.

She told them to avoid premarital sex because it does not only has an affect nemesis but one of the major reasons is that they will become a single parent and that is not a good thing.
Bringing a child they can’t take off and living at the mercy of others is not always enjoyable.
Which is why they should strive hard to avoid allowing their emotions to come in the ways of their blessings.
God frowns at it and had given a guildline which is the Bible and also position people like she, to speak the truth to their ears and be a good example that they can emulate.

Veronica breathed shakily as she thinks back to all the teaching and counseling she carried out for both the teenagers and those who looks up to her.

She ended things with her boyfriend because she wanted to live a life that is pleasing unto God.
Although the relationship with her ex, Martin was already cold and shaking from both end and ending it after all was not much of a shock.
It was rather expected.

She was on track in becoming a lady after God’s heart before meeting Pete.
It was like a magic with the way they connected.
She had mistaken him to be God’s sent until she discovered that she was pregnant and now she is worst than ever.

She can’t possibly fold her arm and do nothing while the pregnancy advances.

The disappointment and shame will be too heavy to bear.
Veronica thought of what to do all through that night and by the following day her mind was made up.

She called Jane and when she came over she asked her to call Pete.

Read more stories or post your stories @:- Pizarena.com
Maybe if Pete have another close person call and plead on her behalf he may soften up and have a change of heart.

Jane called him with her own personal mobile line, put it on speaker just as Veronica asked her to do.
She spoke kindly with Pete asking him to reconsider Veronica and not allow anything come between them.

At the end Pete assured her that he will think about it.

Veronica was atleast hopeful but she did not relax.
She met her pastor after service one of the Sundays and pleaded with him to call Pete and urge him into doing the right thing.

The man of God agreed to do so for her.
She gave him his number and perfect time to call and get him.

When the pastor later called and spoke with Pete just as Veronica wanted.
Pete responded well and also promised to get back to Veronica.

Veronica waited for Pete call and finally he called her that night and they spoke.

“Enough of giving out my number for everyone to call me. Please, don’t do that again Vero. I try to be calm and listen to all the callers but deep down i wanted to end the call right away without second thought. Is a very lame and desperate act… like forcing me to do your wishes because you’re pregnant. But, nevertheless I will come over next week…we will get to talk better…”
Pete said to her.

And he kept to his word this time and came around.
Veronica was happy. They got to discussed and just like magic he agreed to walk down the aisle with her for the sake of the baby.
Veronica couldn’t believe it but Pete actually agreed to marry her within four weeks just as she wanted.

By next month her pregnancy will start showing and she can’t take that chance.
and it was as if God decided to answer her prayer by making Pete to suddenly have a change of heart towards everything.
The wedding planning was much more in a haste.
It was just going to be family and few friends. Nothin serious and no big reception.
Pete wanted it that way and she totally agreed to it too.
Few handful of people to witness the day and wedding is done.
The pastor, Jane and few others that heard she was getting married were happy for her and congratulated her.
Only Jane knew that she was pregnant and she was the only friend that will stand by her on that big day.

Since it was few people that will be attending the wedding, there was no need for big preparation.
Her wedding gown was just simple, more like a dinner white gown without veil that hide her stomach properly.

Pete only gave her money to go ahead with the preparation.
Veronica makes sure she updated him on everything.
She informed him on the very day that the church finally agreed on to avoid crowd and Pete was okay with it.

Everything seems to be working out for Veronica’s good.

On the wedding day, Veronica arrived early with the few family and friends that came with her.
She waited for Pete’s arrival and became very worried when after thirty minutes he haven’t showed up.

She tried calling but he did not pick up.
Her worries increase when it was almost an hour and still no sign of him

The pastor called Pete and his friend picked up and said they were coming.
After few minutes later, Pete finally arrived.

Pete did not come with any family because his parents were late and his sister lives in another country with her husband.
He only came with his close friend

Veronica breathed out in relief. Even if is just him that came she was okay with it.
Her concern is that the pastor should quickly pronounce them husband and wife so that she can really be at peace with her self and know for fact that she was married.

Without wasting time, the little ceremony was done within two hours and they were married.

The little gathering of people had a good reception while the couples later went home

Veronica isn’t sure what comes after now but her present happiness is that she was married and no longer worried or scared of becoming a “mother.

Tbc
Re: In Between by Dapalace: 12:07am On Oct 06, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 5
By AMAH’S HEART

She wakes up and saw his traveling box set and ready.
It was lying close to the door while his usual suitcase was on the table.

Veronica sighed heavily as she stood from the bed.
She called out to her him.

“Honey… honey… are you traveling again?

Pet shouted back from the bathroom

“Sweetie… I’m in the shower. I can’t hear you clearly…I will be out in a jiffy.

She breathed slowly as she went to the kitchen to fix a cup of hot tea for herself and one for him.

She saw a used tea cup in the sink, which is a clear indication that he had already taken tea.
She stared at it strangely before going ahead with hers.
She carried the hot steaming tea back to the room.
He was out of the bathroom and already getting dressed.

“Hey… good morning sweetie…” He greeted while putting on his belt around his waist.

“You didn’t tell me that you were traveling again Pee. You just came back from three weeks journey on Tuesday… today is Thursday. You only get to spend yesterday with us and I was already looking forward to having you for the rest of the week atleast…

Read more stories @ dapalace.com
Pete seemed to suddenly pick up his phone immediately it beep signaling a new message.
He focused more in replying rather than in what Veronica was saying.

“… honey… honey… did you hear any of what I just said?… honey… Pee…P…

Pete dropped his phone he walked up to her and kissed her on the mouth.

“What was that you were saying again?
He asked while going back to dressing up.

“I said… you just returned from a journey and you’re already traveling again. When are you going to create time to spend with us. I and the kids miss you around here. Rose celebrated her birthday last week and you were not present and hardly present in most of their birthdays. Josh is turning three soon and his only wish is to have his Dad around. He’s not interested in gifts or other promises…his only desires is for his father to be around. I’m not even talking about myself and how much I’m doing to be a good mother and also give excuses on why you’re hardly around. Sometimes words fail me, I don’t know what other excuse to give the kids…or anyone asking. Even in church, the pastor and some other close members kept wondering if I’m married to myself or what…”

Pete turned and said with seriousness in his tone.
“Everything I’m doing is for you and the kids sweetie. I’m trying to provide a comfortable life for my family. If I decide to stay home all the time who will foot the bills…? You’re a housewife Vero and no money is coming from your end. I bought this house three years ago and it ran in millions, I bought you a car to make movement easy for you and the kids. Rose and Josh school fees is in millions too. I’m not talking about feeding, wardrobe allowance and other upkeeps. How do you think I make this money…? Vero, I work hard and can’t afford to take any chances. Living a good life requires hard work and more money. Staying home won’t put money in my pocket, my presence in this house won’t clear the expenses, pay the bills and put food on the table. What good is my presence without money…eehh?

Veronica sighed sadly before replying.

“Then let me get a job and support you with some of this things you mentioned. Atleast the kids are in school now. Honey, I will drive them to school in the morning and take a break to pick them up later in the day… they will stay with me in the office or…it depends on the job until the closing time and we will go home together. In that way I will be working and be taking care of the kids and also the home…”

“How do you think all this is possible, is not a rocket science though but you can’t possibly manage home, work and the kids at the same time. You either have to be fully dedicated to one and beside how much do you think you can be making that will actually help out. Or you think is every company that will give you free afternoon to drive to the children’s school… depending on how distance and drive back with them and they will have to tolerate kids during working hours? Veronica, is easier said than done…most of the women into this kind of busy lifestyle either got a nanny or leave their kids in school until the closing time and I Pete Johnson do not want such. You will continue taking care of the kids, I’m not complaining of the financial burden but the only thing I need is understanding… not complains or nag…”

He later picked up his traveling bag that early morning after kissing his wife goodbye.

“So, when will you be back? Veronica asked as she helped him with his suit case.
“I can’t tell when exactly, you already know that sometimes I don’t always return at the exact time I say but… maybe early next month I will be back. I will try and be around for Josh’s birthday this time… alright? I transferred some money for the light bill and other unplanned expenses. Kiss the kids for me when they wakes up…”

Veronica hugged him tight and Pete responded well.
He went into his car and drove off that early morning.

Veronica later got the children ready for school and drove them off.

That weekend Jane visited her with her daughter who was just a year old.

“… Pete’s is caring and all but sometimes I need him around. I’m not disputing the fact that he needs to make money but Jane, everything isn’t about money. The kids misses him and I also do. They woke up the day he travelled, rush down to say good morning to him with all smiles on their faces only to be told that he had travelled…I saw the disappointment on their faces and really felt for them. I know we supposed to get used to the kind of person he is and the demand his company placed on his shoulder because he’s part of the managerial team…is sometimes hard. But I’m trying my best to continue running the home alone in his absence. The money is actually a big deal…I use it to console myself… you know…”

Jane laughed as she took another bite from her just delivered shawarma that Veronica ordered for her at her request.

“Get used to the fact that your husband act like a ghost… he is hardly seen but that doesn’t make him unavailable. Girl chop the money, enjoy the wealth of your husband and stop whining. You should be thankful that he provides everything for you and the kids… many of us are not that lucky. You have really been an angel in helping me financially…I really don’t know how I would have done it. Being a single mom is not easy Vero, Becca is three years and I know the hell it was like within this three years of nursing her alone. You already know how Steve broke up with me and went back to his ex after I told him of the pregnancy. Vero, I have almost aborted Becca because I hated Steve and everything about him. The doctor warned me to be careful in my haste decision to avoid hurting myself. Babe, I had to bear the consequences alone. I used to regret everything but not again. Becca is the best companion and friend I could ever ask for. Despite is not easy but I grew thick skin and I’m happy I made the decision to keep her. Single parenting is not easy but is not a dead end. You that have a caring husband supposed to be super grateful. Pete is trying… give him an accolade. He did not only agree to save your face from shame when you earlier discovered that you were pregnant and he wasn’t ready. He still bent to your wishes and now you are living happily with two kids already and a strong stream of income…be grateful and don’t stop thanking the God that did it for you…”

Jane finished her shawarma and instead of pouring the juice that Veronica offered her into a cup she drank directly from the full pack.
Veronica laughed as she shakes her head knowing the kind of friend she has.

Veronica was grateful that she did not end up as a single Mom.
She wouldn’t have been able to withstand the shame and struggles that comes with it.
Seeing what Jane went through initially before she later got a job and doing fairly okay, Veronica knew that it takes strength and courage and Jane was emotionally stronger compared to her.

As much as she remains grateful, she still hopes that Pete will start spending more time with them than his continues travel.
Maybe someday she will get used to it but for now she was still hoping for a change.
She does not like the way Jane referred to her husband as a ghost but is just an idiom and not a big deal although she felt strange when she said that.

She was only looking forward to when next Pete will be around.
He wasn’t specific but early or late next month will not pass before he appears again just as the ghost that Jane mentioned.
She felt cold all of a sudden and quickly muttered

“Blood of Jesus…”

Veronica went about her day without much thought of Pete.

Tbc
Re: In Between by Dapalace: 8:05pm On Oct 08, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 6
By AMAH’S HEART.

Jane noticed that Veronica was gradually changing towards her.

She no longer cares or even helps her out when she is in need of something.
Jane was bothered about Veronica’s changed behavior but she tries to remain friends with her.

Veronica had gone shopping with Jane that weekend.
Is already a month that Pete was gone and is possible that he may be planning to come back home that Saturday.
She spoke to him yesterday morning and he said he will be home soon .

She haven’t been able to reach him ever since the last time they spoke and is very normal with Pete.

Whenever he is busy with work he hardly take calls but he will always call back during his free time.

As Veronica was driving, her phone rang and it was Pete.
She lifted one of her hand excitedly.

“Let me guess… Pete is calling right? I know that must be why you are suddenly over excited…” Jane said.

“You guessed right girlfriend…I have miss him and can’t wait to have him back. Let me park first so that I can take his call.

She parked and began speaking over the phone with Pete.

Read more stories or post your stories @:- dapalace.com
After the call ended she entered the road again and continue driving.

“He said that he will be coming back next week not this weekend. Atleast I have something to look forward to…”

She said while driving and all Jane could do was to smile.
Deep down within Jane she wish life was a bit fair for her just as it was for Veronica.
Jane was begining to see Veronica as the most favored.
having a rich absent husband is far better than having a poor available man.

She had already turned down two suitors that showed interest in her.
She told each of them that despite she already had a child she can’t possibly marry them because she had suffered enough and do not have time to suffer with a man.
She was looking out for already made man that got it all just like Pete.
Although she haven’t seen one yet but she kept hoping someday he will find her.

Jane hates to be at Veronica’s mercy everytime. She wants to be in an equal level with her not always the needy one.

Getting a well to do man like Pete, who will pamper her with loads of gifts is the goal for her.

Jane does not understand why God favored Veronica so much.
is not that she was the most perfect or smarter than her.

Jane sighed silently as she thought of Dan one of her serious men asking for her hand in marriage.
He is doing okay financially, also has a nice look and equally serious in faith.

Dan doesn’t seem to joke with the things of God. She could have consider him if he was rich not just doing okay financially.

She can’t end up with man that will be preaching to her day by day with nothin tangible as proof for his love.
She can’t be trekking or still managing with life after marriage.

Is better she remains alone than with a broke man.

God should try and favor her too like he did for Veronica after all God does not show favoritism.

Jane tries to think straight but the more she thinks of how life is treating her and how Veronica is flourishing and glowing in wealth, it makes her feel cheated on.

She was happy for Veronica but sometimes the human in her takes over and she can’t help but feel jealous of her friend.

Veronica who was oblivious of the thoughts in her friend’s heart was free spirited as she pointed out the good things that Pete had gotten her in his last travel.
Jane could only smile with a nod as Veronica talks excitedly and how much she loves Pete and how he loves her too.

Jane silently wish Pete was actually hers. She wish she was in Veronica’s shoes.

“Life is just unfair… so unfair”
She muttered silently.

Veronica was getting prepared for her second child’s birthday.
few days to the birthday party Pete retuned and Jane was around the day he came back.

She watched how happy Veronica was. She totally forgot about her presence and existence. she went laughing and talking with Pete as they both head upstairs to their room.
Jane hiss while pretending to be watching animation with the kids.

She wanted to leave right away but that may look suspicious.
She waited for another thirty minutes before deciding is time to go.
Just when she stood up to leave with her daughter, she heard Veronica coming with a mini box in hand.
Jane smiled, expressing her teeth as she thought probably is part of what Pete came back with and Veronica wants to give it to her

“Look at this Cristal diamond necklace with it’s ear ring…do you like it?

Jane looked at the expensive jewelries and exclaimed happily.

“Oh my goodness… this is so beautiful and must have costed a fortune. You’re asking for if I like it…I love it Vero…”

Jane was about thanking Veronica when she heard her say.

“I have stuffs like this already, instead of adding this to the collection. I may use it and gift the pastor’s daughter who will be doing her convocation ceremony and Thanksgiving next month. This will really look good on her… what do you think?

“Uhmm… I think this is a bit…too expensive for the pastor’s daughter that is just around twenty or twenty one. Maybe you should give it to…to someone more deserving of it… somebody that will really value it.” Jane said hoping she will be able to convince Veronica.

“No…I don’t think so. The pastor’s daughter deserves it more. Her father will continue praying for me and my family and I will always be on the their list of favorites. No one is more deserving of this… except the pastor’s daughter…”

Veronica covered the tiny box and walked back to the stairs while Jane watched her leave.
Jane was boiling angrily but couldn’t do anything.
She carried her daughter and left.

Veronica organized a big birthday party for her son who turned three.
She called Jane as usual to assist with some things.
Jane came just as expected and helped out in putting things in place.

During sharing of gifts, her daughter got only an ugly doll and few other intangible things while other rich kids that attended the party were given something far more significant in their gift packs.

After the party, two days later Pete travelled again.
Jane decided within her that she will reduce how she visits Veronica.

After sometime the way Pete usually drop money for Veronica reduced.

The big amount he usually transfer for upkeeps reduced.

Veronica complained and he told her that things aren’t as they used to be, she should try and readjust untill everything is normalize.

Veronica wasn’t happy but she had no choice than to try to reduce her spending and that was the exact period Jane came to her after keeping her distance for sometime.
She told Veronica that her daughter was not feeling too well and she needed money for hospital bills
But Veronica told her that she can’t help her this time due to Pete no longer drop or transfer enough money like before.

Jane left saddened by the disappointment but she didn’t show her displeasure.

Dan, one of Jane’s serious suitor was able to bail her out of her troubles but Jane still refused to consider him.
She had vowed to marry a very wealthy person so that Veronica will see that she is not the only favored one.

She will make sure of that and will never settle for less.
Her future husband will be far better and richer than Veronica’s Pete.
It’s a deal and she won’t let her guards down.

Tbc
Re: In Between by Sochee123: 9:38pm On Oct 10, 2021
Nice update...but what's Jane's problem self
Re: In Between by Dapalace: 7:39pm On Oct 12, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 7
AMAH’S HEART

Jane saw him standing outside her gate and her mood changed.
She was coming from work, tired and only wanted to go inside and rest not to stand and listen to a long chronicle of the heart.

“How was your day?
He greeted with a brightened face, pleased to see her.

“Fine. What is it you want Dan…I thought I have already made myself clear that I want to be left alone…
Jane cut in immediately.

“Yes Jane, I did left you alone for about a month plus now. I decided to check up today…as a friend but was told by the nanny that you’re not back from work yet. I saw Becca, you are really taking good care of her, she looks far bigger than three years. You’re a great mother Jane. I’m not asking for much, I only want to be a friend, I get the fact that you don’t want to be in any form of relationship with me…I get it Jane. I’m only asking to be a friend… that’s all.

“Well Dan, I don’t want your friendship… I’m done with friends and seriously want everyone to leave me alone. I’m not interested Dan and will never be. I know you rendered a great help when I needed it and I appreciate. But let’s not mix things up here… I’m not interested in you or your friendship. If you want me to pay you back for the help…I will, maybe you will finally leave me alone after that but you need to be patient and wait until I have the money. Let me be Dan… please. You’re not upto the standard I want in a man… that’s the truth. Period…”

Dan was speechless. He managed to tell her that he helped her financially without expecting anything in return and she does not need to pay back anything.

He was still standing there when Jane walked passed him.
“…Jane… please wait.
Dan called out to her as she was about to go in. She paused

“… please tell me what I will do to meet up with the standard. What exactly do you want in a man that I don’t have Jane…? I’m not forcing you to be mine but before I leave you alone atleast let me understand what you mean by I’m not upto standard and what I can do to meet up…?

Jane slowly took few feet closer to him and said.
“Can you buy me everything I desires right away? designer wears, beautifully furnished house, a dream car and many more. Can you? Well, obviously you can’t because your standard of living is not upto the level that I’m targeting. I have a friend, who’s husband is a real definition of every woman’s heart desires. Vero is always happy and lack nothing despite she’s not working. Her husband makes money rain down for her. Nothing bothers her, her life is absolutely perfect. That’s exactly what I want in a man. But, you are equally managing to meet up with life demands and I’m not ready to suffer with such a man. Dan, You’re nice, godly with few coins to your name but you’re not my type… because your niceness or even godliness can’t make my dream come true. I’m very unapologetic when I say that a wealthy, well to do man who can take care of my needs without stress is the standard i want to be in… Nothing less. Wanting a better life for me and my daughter is not a sin or is there anywhere in the Bible it says that one shouldn’t aim high…? I don’t think so”

Read more stories @ dapalace.com
She turned and didn’t look back as she walked away.
Dan also left sadly.

Veronica tapped more numbers into the calculator, she gasped out loudly seeing the figure that popped up.
She stared at it, confused at the big amount she had calculated so far and was not done yet.
She punched in more numbers in the calculator while silently praying it won’t be more than the money she had left.
Veronica sighed as she saw the total.

“This is ridiculous…is too much for Christ sake” she muttered to herself.

“…. when did we spend upto this amount? This is only one month and a week expenses on light bills, inverter services, air condition maintenance, cleaning of the pool, the cook and the cleaner’s salary, the mechanic too…no, this expenses is too much…”

She shakes her head sadly before standing to pick up her phone.

She called Pete, he didn’t answer at first but later did.
.”hey Vero, you know I’m supposed to be busy with workload by this time of the day…?

“Yes, but I have something I urgently want to talk to you about and it can’t wait. Is the bills Pete, they’re pilling up and you said at the end of last month you will transfer money to clear them. The little amount you sent two weeks ago went into feeding and the kids upkeeps. I calculated the pending expenses and is several thousands. Some of the people that we are owing are already calling me for their money and I kept telling them to hold on. The bills are giving me sleepless nights Pete….”

“Vero, I don’t understand what your problem is, I told you that things are not as they used to be and without being told you should have reduce the expenses to make it easy on me but here you are calling me because of bills again after I transferred money two weeks ago for you to clear some of them And you used all the money for feeding and the kids. Vero, things are tight and money isn’t forth coming like before, I have said it severally that you should cut down your spending and other unnecessary expenses. I don’t know how you want to do it but I need to get back to work. Tell them whatever you need to tell them until I return back then I will see what I can do. Don’t call me because of bills or unnecessary things again…”

Pete ended the call without Veronica knowing.
She continued talking
“Atleast tell me when you will be coming back home Pete, this bills have been rising on a daily basis for over a month now. Don’t make it sound like I’m enjoying what is presently happening with us. I’m trying to cut down cost and make the expenses lesser but there’s a limit I can do. I’m worried… very worried. When will you be coming home Pete…pee, hello…hel…pee…”

She removed the phone from her ear and checked it and that was when she realized that Pete had ended the call.

Her frustration was rising as she sat hard on a chair.
She will find means to pay off the cook, her services will no longer be needed. She will also reduce the use of all the big appliances that consumes alot of light and other maintainance that is on the high side.

The house cleaner will stay, is a big house and help is needed in keeping it clean.
She can’t believe this is happening, not having money and trying to let go of certain expenditure which she and the kids are already used to.

She felt sad not just with the way things are going but with the way Pete spoke to her.
Is been a while that Jane visited which is unlike her and they haven’t spoken for almost a month now.
She really needs somebody to talk to and there is no other than her long time bestie.
She called Jane and she picked after several rings

“Hey Jane… how are you and Becca? Is been a while you guys came around. Try and come over to the house tomorrow so that we can talk…I have alot on my mind I need to pour out…” Veronica said.

Jane at the other end rolled her eyes in disgust.
“Oh Vero, we’re doing great. tomorrow…I will be busy. I have a date with a very rich guy, far richer than most of the men I know, including Pete. So I can’t afford to miss it. I’m aiming to be wife of a wealthy man too just like you are. Maybe another time when I don’t have anything in my schedule I will come around. Can we talk later, my rich friend is calling, I can’t afford to miss his call. Byee…”

Jane ended the call and sighed annoyingly.
“Veronica thinks she is the only one that can get married to a wealthy guy, she should watch and see. I have been wishing for a man like Pete and is going to happen. Veronica will know that she is not the only favored one. She wants me to come over so that she will fill my ears with her wardrobe or jewelry latest additions. Nonsense and stingy friend…”

Veronica at the other end felt defeated. Her friends life is absolutely moving great. Jane had no worries, no accumulated bills, no blames from her husband. None whatsoever.
Jane was going on a date with rich guys and having lots of fun while her whole life suddenly sucks.

“,, That’s good for her. I wish Jane all the best. Let me face my troubled sad life. Is unfortunate that I don’t have anyone that I can relate my problems to…”

Veronica said sadly as she tossed her phone aside and picked up the calculator and began to think of more expenses to reduce.

Tbc
Re: In Between by Dapalace: 6:21pm On Oct 14, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 8
By AMAH’S HEART.

She dropped the phone after the call and when she was about to walk away another call entered.
Her heart skipped, things were becoming unbearable.
Anytime her phone rings her heart will start racing.
Is either the people that they are owing were calling or some other person’s in need of one thing or the other.

She peeped at her phone to see the caller.
Mrs Benson, her children’s school proprietress.
She had double mind in answering the call because she knew what the woman was about to tell her.
She finally picked up the phone and after few exchange of pleasantries the woman reminded Veronica that the children’s fees were long due for renewal.

Mrs Benson said to her that she had been patient all this while because the kids have never owned a dime in the past and is quiet surprising that the debt was rising and she had sent messages which she never got a reply
She called severally since last term to the present one and despite all the promises nothing was done.
They haven’t paid for last term and this present term was almost coming to an end yet no payment.

Veronica who does not know any other answer to give pleaded that the school should be patient and she promised to pay off the fees soon.
Mrs Benson agreed but asked her to hurry because after next term and the money is not cleared then she will have no choice than to ask her to withdraw the kids.
Veronica replied that it haven’t gotten to that. She assured her that she will pay off every single thing that she was owing

After the call she breathed deeply, stared at nothing as her mind traveled far.
The whole thing is making her go deep in thought.

Pete retuned back and before he travelled again she was able to get some money out of him which she used in paying off the cook, the swimming pool maintainance man that was on her neck and the mechanic.
The remaining balance went into buying small food stuffs for the house.

Some bills remained pending and more are still coming up.
The whole thing was driving her crazy.
She wish there was a place or person she can borrow from.
She can no longer sleep with her two eyes closed.

The mistake she probably made in the past was not having enough savings or secretly set up a business because of times like this.
She would have still be a house wife and have something running in her name.
She only need to employ able hands to supervise the business on her behalf.

She had such opportunity severally, those days that Pete would drop or transfer enough money for upkeep and other expenses.
she used to have some savings but she gradually spent the whole money during the early days that Pete wasn’t dropping enough money like before.
She paid some of the bills even some domestic workers from her savings but as each month comes by more debt pops up and she was back to having nothing except to depend on Pete for everything.

Read more stories @:- dapalace.com
Pete have been gone for six weeks and hardly takes her call because he felt the only reason she calls was to whine and complain about bills.

Veronica can only hope and wait for some sort of miracle.

In one hour time she will be driving to school to pick up the kids.
She suddenly remembered that she needs to fuel the car first and there was not enough money to do that.
Veronica walked into her room, she sat hard on the bed, held her head in her hand while her eyes traveled round the whole master bedroom.
She saw her big jewelry box and went right to it.
After opening and seeing gold, diamond and other expensive jewelries she gasped.
She had so much and didn’t even realized it untill now.

Veronica decided within her that she was going to sell off some of them.
She will be able to raise money to pay off some things.
She selected the ones she was going to sell and put them all in a different box.

The remaining ones she will be managing them until things are back to normal.
She took pictures of the selected ones for sale and forwarded to one of her contacts who deals in original jewelries and pure gold.
The man was ready for business the moment he saw the pictures that Veronica sent.
He promised to get back to her the following day because he needed to confirm from his main boss if they can buy all.

Veronica wish that the man can transfer the money right away but she will have to wait because she had no choice.

She opened her bedside cabinet while searching for any other valuable item that can be sold.
She saw a Bible which she hardly pick up
Is only on Sundays that she takes the Bible to church and drop it right back whenever she returns.

She felt that she had no serious need of it within the week
She was no more coordinating the teenage class, she rather asked her assistants to take fully charge because she will like to be attending the main service, where she will have to sit in a front pew and everyone will get to see her exotic wears and expensive jewelries.
A special seat for the designated ones.

She had contributed so much to the church, both in cash and kind and the seat was well deserved.
She no longer bothers herself in teaching and coordinating the teens.

The pastor had ones asked her to please return to being the teen teacher but she told the pastor that she was still their teacher the only difference was that she will be monitoring them from afar while her two assistance will do the major talking and guiding
She thinks the church equally needs her and she did not want to be limited just in the teen class.

Veronica picked up the Bible, she can’t remember the last time she studied the word.
It has become a Sunday thing only and it doesn’t supposed to be so.

“God… God….”

Emotions filled her heart.
She remembers the good old days before meeting Pete, She had never joked with God or his word.
She took it with all seriousness.

Whatever happened to her old God Loving self is a mystery.
Now her whole life was turning into something else that she can’t explain.

“… God please make things to return to normal… just as it used to be. Please… I know you can. I’m sorry I have been distanced from you. please let there be miracle and make my husband wealthy again. I want things to be back as it used to be, I don’t know how to cope with this sudden change staring at me in the face. I’m struggling with the whole change. God, please do something before things get out of hand. I promise to serve you better…with everything I got if you can just make it happen again. I will keep to my promise this time…”

She felt so distanced from God and even as she flipped through the Bible she couldn’t think of anything or verses that will hit her at the right spot.

God must be really disappointed and she is totally disappointed in herself.
she abandoned the highest being that her entire life depends on.
Never acknowledged or thanked him for his numerous blessings upon her and family before and now she was asking for more of his blessings.

Veronica dropped back the Bible, it was almost time to go pick up the kids.

She will have to drive to the nearest gas station to refuel her car.

She picked up few notes from the remaining money she had left, picked up her purse before leaving.
She will try to avoid the proprietress of the school until she pays off the children’s school fees and other necessary fees.

And that was what Veronica did.

The following day she was able to sell her gold and jewelries off the Goldsmith.

It was worth more than what she sold it. she couldn’t get a better buyer and also needed the money urgently.

She quickly transfered the money to the school, it was not upto but it was almost half of the school fees.
She will find means to clear it all off.

After two months, Pete did not return home and his number was no more reachable.
Veronica got worried but was hoping that he will show up soon.

She had nothing left and had to sell more stuffs in the house to raise money.

She called Jane one day to know if she can get something from her.
Ever since Jane made it clear that she wanted to be a wife to a wealthy man and was already dating one.
Veronica felt Jane will be able to help her.
Is embarrassing that she had to ask Jane for financial help.
It used to be the other way round but the table had turned and she was left with no choice.
She called Jane but she didn’t pick up.
The following day she called again and Jane texted her that she was busy at work and will talk to her later but she never called.

Veronica decided to send a message to her asking for her help but Jane never replied.

She kept trying Pete’s number but it wasn’t going through.

Veronica sold off all her gold and continued selling more things around the house just to keep up with the expenses.

The third and fourth month came and went by and yet no sign of Pete.
It became alarming and scary because Pete had never stayed this long in his journey without coming home.
Highest he had stayed is three months plus and he always communicate during his absence.

Veronica was not only worried but scared that something bad might have happened to her husband.
She was worried about her financial status and how long she can keep up.

Her major fear was Pete, as days turns into weeks with no sign of her husband.

Veronica knew something was amidst and she need to act fast.

Tbc
Re: In Between by Tonyspecial(m): 9:36pm On Oct 14, 2021
Nice combo

1 Like

Re: In Between by Dapalace: 5:48pm On Oct 19, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 9
By AMAH’S HEART

She called Jane and after several rings she picked up.
“…Jane what’s really going on with you… hope everything is fine?
“,Yes, everything is absolutely fine. I got your message…is very funny that you of all people was asking me to loan you money. Were you trying to mock or prank me… that was too much for a joke Vero”

“,It wasn’t a joke Jane, I needed your help but You never answered my call or replied my messages and ever since a month or two you haven’t come around. I was begining to wonder if there was a problem or did I do something wrong…?
Veronica heard her sigh and that was quiet surprising.
“…uhmm, maybe I will come over to your place. We can talk about whatever it is that may seem to be the problem…?

“No…no. don’t bother coming over I will come around tomorrow. I have to go now…byee” Jane quickly interrupted her before Veronica could say any other thing, after which she ended the call.
Veronica tries to figure out what was wrong with Jane. She did not even wait for her to finish before ending the call and the way she asked her not to come over to her place was unexpected.

Yet, all she could do was to wait for tomorrow to come.
At this point in her life she was far more confused than she had ever been.
No matter how many things she sold out to clear the debt on her head more kept arising.
She can’t seem to have peace of mind.
Pete is still not reachable and he haven’t called.
Everyday comes with hope that he may call or come home but on each end of the day her hopes is trashed and that never stopped her from hoping again.
She have prayed, asking God’s mercy and Forgiveness. She wants her husband home and needed God to make all her worries disappear.

The clear evidence that God had refused to heed to her plea is the fact that her husband is not home and no news from him, her fear and worries increases every day leaving her broken.

Maybe talking to Jane will atleast help her forge ahead.
Either to notify the police or start a search hunt for her dear husband.

The following day, Jane surprisingly kept to her word and visited.
“It was quiet surprising the way you did not want me coming over to your place but I’m happy that you’re here now. I was beginning to think I did something wrong or you just chose to…
Jane waved her hand asking her to stop talking.
“Vero, before anything happens there must have been something or action that triggers it. Without apology I can say it to your face that you are not a good friend and I have had enough of your ill attitude towards me and decided to keep my distance…
Veronica blinked severally before replying
“How… what exactly do you mean Jane? Because as far as I can remember I have always assisted, I never said no when you need financial help and I have the means. I have been there for you and your daughter, opened my home to you and had your back always. I have done things for you Jane that I haven’t even done quota for my own blood. I’m shocked that you of all people will open your mouth to say I’m not a good friend. Even if I offended you unknowingly are you not supposed to talk to me about it and we will settle it amicably? You stayed away for months i didn’t even think about it because I had my own personal problem to sort out. Only for you to show up today and call me a bad friend. How exactly… maybe you tell me how bad I have been to you…”?
Jane laughed sarcastically before saying.
“Wow Vero you never stopped amazing me. You act like molst righteous when deep down you know you’re not close to that. Ever since I have come to know you Vero, I have been a great friend to you without expecting anything in return. I will run unnecessary errand, advice you to the best of my ability, checked up on you and stood head strong when you’re in a cross confused road. I know I have never had the money to throw around you or show off like you did but I have always been there. I practically made your family mine. I was there when Pete refused to take responsibility for the pregnancy or agree to marry you in your terms. He wanted abortion and I advised you not to comply. You were shaken by the whole thing even his “never presence”…I assured you then that all will be well. When you ended things with Martin I was there. I have always wanted you to be happy…I might have dropped few wrongs advice that I can’t even remember but Vero… I’m a true friend who had always shown appreciation for the big and little. But you on the other hand show off, belittled me and make me look like I worth nothing. Everytime you will be filling my ears with “my husband this, I bought that, Pete gift me the whole world…blablabla. it makes me wonder if you are the first lady married to a wealthy man. Well, that will soon change because I’m next in line for something big too. It will shock you when you realize that I…..
Veronica who had heard enough interrupted her.
“Enough… you said too much nonsense already. I can’t make out anything from all you were saying except that you are unappreciative, jealous and wicked friend. when I was giving to you and your daughter I wasn’t showing off right, you suddenly realized that I’m not a good friend? Well, I thought I could count on you, I desperately needed a friend, someone to trust with my problems…it took me years to find out that you have never been a true friend. It was all along to your benefits and when things aren’t in your favor you become hostile and start keeping distance. Jane, you only wanted to be a wife to a wealthy man just to spite me…you thought we’re in a competition or something? I don’t get it. I pray that your jealousy won’t lead you to the wrong part. Get out of my house this second and stay out.
Jane threw back few words at her and told her to stop playing the victim and making her look like a bad person.

Jane said she was boastful, filled with pride and always take advantage of people because her husband had money.

Maybe because she was having some challenges and suddenly remembered she needed a true friend. After three months of not really checking up to know why she haven’t visited.
Veronica fired back at her, calling her a jealous friend that pretends to be good when the going is smooth. She said Jane was a friend with benefits and when she couldn’t benefit any more she began to show her true color.
Jane and Veronica threw harsh words back to back on each other.
After Jane left and Veronica was alone she fell to the chair heart broken.
She can’t believe that she no longer had anyone to run to with her problem.
Some of the things Jane said about her maybe true but not totally.

She allowed the wealth of her husband makes her a bully.
She became prideful and careless with others feeling.
She probably did some other things but she was oblivious to them.
She never did any of that intentionally. She had always be nice to Jane and helped when ever she was in need. It saddens her that Jane will write off every of her good deed towards her and her daughter and remember only the bad one which happened unintentionally.
No news from her husband’s whereabout and she doesn’t know where to start searching for him
Pete’s parents are late, his only sister is in far way from her.
She ones requested for his sister’s number just to check up and also introduced herself but Pete felt is not necessary.
He wrote down the number after much pressure but she never gets to call her.
Her sister never even called for ones.
Pete’s had few work documents packed up in a locked box which he puts in the store downstairs.
She will find means and open the box maybe that will give her an idea on how to start the search for Pete.
She will also look for means to get his only sister’s mobile number. She is the only relative he got.
She haven’t met her before or heard Pete spoke to her in her presence.
Since Jane decided to join the list of troubles in her life, she won’t let her or other of her problems weigh her down.
She have hope that Pete will return otherwise she will have to find him by herself, alone without the help of some lousy old friend.
She will have to start the search right away to bring her husband home wherever he maybe and also get to speak to her only sister in-law for the first time.

Tbc

1 Like

Re: In Between by Ogamysamo: 11:51pm On Oct 19, 2021
what a cautious advicious explanataria essay you have here.

thou my grammer may be senseless but the english is still intact, so don't mind the grammer mind the english. i was taught that our official language is english not grammer

1 Like

Re: In Between by Tonyspecial(m): 4:45pm On Oct 20, 2021
I'm following
Keep it up
Re: In Between by Dapalace: 7:10pm On Oct 21, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 10
By AMAH’S HEART

Immediately she entered the store she began her search.
After carrying out the locked box from where Pete kept it, since she didn’t have the keys the only option is to break it open.
But her worries was that what if Pete returns and find the box broken, he will really be mad. But what other choice do she have except to break it.
Veronica took hammer and began to break the lock.
It didn’t take long before the locks came off.
She opened the box and began to search for anything that will give her clue on how to get to Pete’s work place or his whereabout.
She knows quiet well that he works in a big pharmaceutical company located in another city, several kilometers away which was very far from her.

She needs the right address of the company or even the company’s phone number.

If she can even get any of his colleagues or even friend’s number that will be great.
The man that stood as a best man on their wedding day five years ago had no real identity to hold onto.
That was the first and last day she saw him. She haven’t met any other Pete’s friend, relatives or colleagues.
Maybe is high time to start meeting them all.
According to Pete it was work, work and home for him.
He doesn’t make friends and he kept official relationship with his colleagues.

His only family was her and the kids aside his only sister.
“Vero, You and the kids are my only family… and that’s why I’m working so hard to make sure that everyday life feels comfortable and peaceful for you and the kids…”
Veronica remembered him saying that and his words was very comforting and lovely to hear back then.

She felt very important and the centre of his world. She even wish he can keep saying that with every given opportunity because hearing those words from him means the world to her.
That was how she felt back then but looking back now, she wish she had mount more pressure on him to know other private things if there was any.

She won’t be caught in this dilemma that she presently found herself in without a guide on what steps to take.
The box was filled with receipts, some are even torn, while others are piled up in a rubber band.

several receipt filled the box, mostly back dated few years ago.
None was recent year.
There were about four crossed cheque, which either bounced or their was a mistake on it. That was the only explanation for still having years ago cheque in the box.
They were either cancelled and it was all in huge amount.

None of the digits were small. Two were in millions while others were in several thousands.
The names were all the same.
Jubril Elliot. And it does not ring a bell.
Who is Jubril Elliot to Pete?
She saw the same name in some of the signed receipts too.
Pete had never mentioned such name before and since the cheques was from a different body of company that either deals in medical equipment or supplies Veronica tossed it aside.
She couldn’t make any sense out of them
She was able to get the address and office number from the receipts.
Veronica quickly copied it out.
She did not stop her search until she saw a number that seems similar to the old number that Pete wrote down and said it was his sister’s.
She flashed back to the time, after she pressurized him into giving her the number back then, he wrote it out in a piece of paper and left it on the dresser.

she had double mind calling, after staring at the number, she dropped it back on the room dresser.
She wanted to think over what exactly to say and how best to introduced herself before making the call.
Pete engaged her into a sweet conversation that she totally forgot to make the call.
Pete later cleared off the dresser and that was how the number disappeared.
Seeing a similar number on a similar paper made her happy. She was finally arriving at something meaningful.
Her whole time spent in the store house was productive.
She had achieved a whole lot, and knows how to began her search from the information she gathered so far.
Before Veronica left the store house she checked several other boxes and lockers for more information.
After she returned to the main house, she stared at everything she brought out, she did not know where to start
Veronica decided she will start the following day by then she will be fully ready.
Through out that night she couldn’t sleep well.
“God, I really need you. If everyone leaves I know you won’t abandon me in my mess. Please, bring my husband home… let everything return back as it used to. I’m struggling with all the changes and I really don’t know where to start from. I need you Lord… please…”
Veronica prayed again asking God to intervene in her situation.
She tried calling Pete the next day but to no avail.
That afternoon, there was a knock on the door
Veronica’s heart skipped as she thought it might be Pete.
She had mixed feeling of Joy and worries as she rushed down to check who it was.
It was Jane and she did not hide the disappointment on her face.
“Yes, can I help you?
Veronica said while standing at the door.
“I owe you an apology Vero. I overacted yesterday. I hold this grudge against you for long and it was turning me into some wicked jealous friend. We had word banter and ended up saying things that we shouldn’t have said. For old times sake I’m sorry. I will help you in any way possible and won’t hold any past wrongs against you….I promise.
Veronica after staring at her for sometime opened the door and she Came in
She really needed someone to talk to.
“Pete is missing…I mean I haven’t been able to reach him or know where exactly to go look for him. He haven’t returned home or called for the past months. Is about five months now Jane. I’m left with no money or anything to hang onto. I sold some of the things in my possession including my jewelries just to pay bills but more are still piled up. When I sent you message that I needed to borrow money, I meant it… I’m totally drained both emotionally and otherwise…”
“Have you tried calling his work place or his relatives. His colleagues or friends… atleast one of them should have an idea of where he might be..”
Veronica sighed as she stood up to get the whole information she had been able to gather.
“Pete, according to him does not keep friends. I don’t have any of his colleagues number but I have his only sister’s number and I haven’t called her yet. Ever since I got married to Pete I have never spoken to her and she never called too… funny enough I haven’t even seen or heard Pete speaking to her. The whole thing is making me have double mind. This were all the information I gathered yesterday Jane.
Veronica showed Jane the papers.
Jane moved closer and checked it out.
Jane urged her to start by calling Pete’s only sister.
Veronica picked up her phone, dialed the number and when it began to ring she breathed deeply as she waits for the receiver.
When the person picked up she greeted and quickly introduced herself.
“Wrong number… I don’t know who you are talking about. I don’t have any brother or anyone by such name. I’m sorry…is a wrong number…”
The receiver ended the call leaving Veronica dumbfounded.
The supposed sister does not know who she was talking about or ever heard of him.
Is a wrong number.
Jane tapped her to stay calm and call his work place.
Veronica noticed that her airtime won’t be enough for the next call.
Jane quickly did airtime transfer to her phone.
She picked up the receipt and called the number of the company.
“I’m Mrs Johnson. My husband works in your company. He’s in the marketing and distributing department. His name is Pete Johnson. I want to know if he’s in the office please or when last he was at work…?
The receiver asked her to hold on. After sometime the person said there was nobody with such name in their company and it was a wrong number.
Veronica dropped the call more confused and shaken.
She held the papers and phone in her hand, staring at it strangely.
Jane collected the paper and began checking if there was another information that will link them to Pete.
While Veronica heart was beginning to race with speed at this moment.
His company does not know any one with such name.
His supposed sister said she never had a brother and it was a wrong number.
Something was wrong and she was not ready for any more shock.
 More episode@:-dapalace.com

Tbc
Re: In Between by aprilwise(m): 8:02pm On Oct 21, 2021
Please continue
Re: In Between by Dapalace: 12:55pm On Oct 23, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 11
By AMAH’S HEART

Noise kept coming from the kitchen, she was supposed to be the only one awake.
The kids were off to bed and she just locked up everywhere and was about going to bed when she heard the strange noise.
She peeped at the kids room and they were both asleep.

Veronica quietly started walking towards the kitchen as several thoughts crossed her mind.
Could it be a rodent or some pest? No…rats are hardly seen around.
And it was more like a human noise.
She walked to the kitchen and there he stood with his back facing her.
“Pete…?
She said more like a question. She was rather in a confused state.
He was obviously holding his personal tea cup and facing the kitchen washing basin.
A name was inscribed on the mug.
Due to the way Pete was backing her she couldn’t see it clearly.
She stretched her neck to check the name
“…ubril” that was all she saw.
There was something else before the “Ubril”
Probably a J or L. She couldn’t make sense out of it but the inscription was not much of a concern.
It was Pete standing like a ghost over the sink that worries her.
“… Pete, when did you return?
She said again as she took few feet closer but suddenly pause as Pete did not turn.
“…are you alright honey..I was worried sick about you. You never called or answered mine. What really happened… when did you return? The doors were locked how did you come in? Pete…?
He did not make move to turn.
The mug in his hand was very personal to him. He had always taken tea with the mug which he bought in set.
He had used three out of the set of four in the past years.
Veronica waited for him to turn and look at her.
But he was not making attempt to get off the sink.
“… Pete, are you alright? Is everything okay?
A plate suddenly fell off the shelf and landed close to where she was standing. It smashed into pieces.
Veronica screamed in terror and suddenly stopped when she realized it was just a plate.
She exhale deeply while looking around the kitchen.

She moved closer to where Pete was and stopped an inch away from him
She was startled by strange owl noise coming within the house.
Pete was in his long night robe, his usually night long milky colour jalamia which he uses to sleep when the weather is cold.
He does not use it often but will rather prefer it folded and kept close by whenever he was around.
Veronica noticed that he was bare footed, no foot wear or socks was on his feet.
All of a sudden, his hand began to shake making him spill the content in the his tea cup.
As she stretched out her hand to touch him the kitchen light bulbs suddenly began to go off and on.
“… what is going on?. Veronica asked while dropping back her hand to her side

Just then she noticed that Pete was gradually turning towards her.

Strange breeze from nowhere filled the kitchen making every strand of hair on her body to stand.
Her head felt big and heavy, goose bump filled her body.
The whole place began to move, even the roof and every item in the kitchen.
It was as if there was an earthquake in the kitchen as glass plates cups and other breakable items were falling to the ground and breaking into pieces.
“…. Pete… Pete… what is happening?
Veronica called out to her husband as she tried to shield herself from the breakable items.
Fear gripped her, when the light went off for seconds and later came back on again.
Pete turned to face her, he was no more holding the mug of tea.
It was a kitchen knife that was in his hand which he pointed directly towards her.
He had cotton wool stuck in his nose and ears.
only his white eye ball was seen, the black was gone.
Veronica began to move back but he was coming after her slowly still with the knife in his hand.

She kept screaming but there was nobody to rescue her.
Her scream doubled up when she saw that Pete was bleeding from the eyes.

Instead of tears, blood was pouring out of his eyes, ears and mouth as he kept coming closer.
Veronica ran into a corner and fell to the ground, she felt paralyzed and couldn’t get up.
She was struggling to drag herself out when Pete got to where she was, he raised the knife to stab her.
Veronica screamed out with the little strength left in her.
“Jesuuuuuuuussssssss…”
And she woke up from the night mare.
She sat up from the bed breathing heavily.
“Thank you Jesus… it was all a dream, it was a dream…oh my goodness…”
She said while trying to calm her racing heart.
The room felt so cold and quiet. She wanted to go and check the children in their room but the fear of the night mare was too much for her.
It felt as if there was someone in the room watching her like a hawk.
Like an invisible eyes staring at her and ready to consume her.
She looked around to be sure that she was the only one.
“Jesus… Jesus…I cancel the night mare in the name of Jesus. I cover myself, my kids and my husband with the blood of Jesus. Wherever my husband is Lord, please protect him and make him return to us safe…”,
Veronica muttered the prayer to the quiet room while her eyes kept traveling round the room in fear.
She managed to get up to check on the kids and they were both sound asleep.
She returned to the room and couldn’t sleep again.
She was afraid of another night mare.
When she checked the time it was almost 4am in the morning.
She can’t wait for day to break so that she can feel safe again and forget about the night mare.
That previous day, she with Jane couldn’t arrive at anything concerning Pete.
Before Jane left she promised to come by weekend so that they can carefully search the warehouse if they can find another clue.
Weekend is in two days time and she can’t wait to have Jane around.
The information she gathered couldn’t do much because it was either wrong number or wrong name.
She did not understand why even Pete’s work place does not have a record of Pete Johnson.

For more episode visit@:- dapalace.com

He worked in that company several years and it was quiet a shock that his name wasn’t in their record
There was no name like that.
She doesn’t understand what was going on or why her husband disappearance scares her alot.
He came in the dream in form of a dead scary man to kill her.
Pete is gentle, kind and he loves her.
She and the kids are all the family he got and that’s why he doesn’t joke with them neither will she ever joke with him.
it was the devil trying to manipulate the whole thing and very soon when Pete will return the devil will be put to shame.
Before the weekend she kept counting hours.
Every little harmless noise startles her.
She doesn’t waste time in the kitchen like before because the nightmare comes to play anytime she was there.
That weekend when Jane finally came around they both went back into the store and began to search again.
She showed Jane the cheques, the receipt that had the strange name,
“Jubril Elliot”.
Immediately she mentioned the name she remembered her night mare few nights ago.
The name inscribed on the mug was Jubril. The missing letter was a J.
She quickly narrated her dream to Jane while holding onto one of the cheques.

“That’s really scary Vero. Maybe we should call the company again and ask of Jubril Elliot..”?
Jane suggested but Veronica felt it was a stupid idea.
What if the person with the name is a bad person trying to hurt her husband or implicate her him.
Her husband name is Pete Johnson and whoever that is Jubril Elliot does not sound like a good man to her.
Especially remembering the cup inscription she saw in her dream.
Maybe Pete was trying to tell her something.
Jane insisted and said there was no harm in trying.
Veronica had to give in.
They decided to call Pete’s company but this time they will be asking of Jubril Elliot instead of Pete Johnson.

Tbc
Re: In Between by aprilwise(m): 2:22pm On Oct 23, 2021
I visited your blog I didn’t see the continuation of this story. Please update often

1 Like

Re: In Between by Dapalace: 9:16am On Oct 26, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 12
By AMAH’S HEART

They both left the store and went back to the main house to make the call.
Veronica picked up her phone but had another idea forming on her head.
She was going to ask of Pete Johnson again. Maybe the receptionist or whoever that answered the call the other day was either new or was going through some personal stuffs.
That could be the only reason why they don’t know who she was talking about.
She dialed the number and waited for them to pick it up.
Immediately somebody answered, it was a man this time and Veronica felt relieved.
A man will take his time and answer her far better than a lady.
Veronica greeted kindly and the receiver reply with a calm voice
“, How can we help you madam…?
“My name is Veronica Johnson, my husband’s name is Pete Johnson….”
She waited if the name will atleast ring a bell in the man’s ear but the man asked her to go ahead.
“…well, my husband works in your company, he had been a staff for over seven years…. that’s before we got married. Because we have been married for about five years now and he had always works there and does alot of traveling too. He is in the marketing department…he travels alot, sometimes for weeks and months. But this last one he had not returned home. Is been almost six months of his disappearance…i mean his usual work journey. My husband haven’t called or return his calls. No message or any kind of information from him. I called some days ago and the receptionist couldn’t give me a good explanation which was why I’m calling again today. I and the kids are worried. Please, check through the record, computer database or whatever that needs checking let me know the whereabout of my husband. I will really appreciate if you can give me a positive reply so that I hang onto that and know what exactly to do next…”
There was silent at the other end.
“…. hello, are you still there…”?
Veronica asked as she checked her phone to know if the call is still on.
“,Yes madam, I’m checking through our record. Both the old and the new ones. And from what I can see here there is no such name. No Pete Johnson ma’am. I checked through all the department on the system and I can’t find any. And you mentioned that he travels alot and have been gone for months, most of our assigned marketers do travel and the highest they can be gone is either a week if there is emergency of any sort then they make it two weeks. No marketer goes on a month or more journey except if is on a special assignment. A week is highest in our record so far and emergency does not come up often. And the journey is ones in four or six months when our new products arrives. Is not a monthly thing, it happens ones in six months. I’m giving you all this update for you to understand how some of our businesses runs here. Maybe is either a wrong name or you are calling the wrong number ma’am…”
Veronica opened and closed her mouth. She was speechless, she doesn’t know what to say next.
Since the call was on loud speaker, Jane could hear everything.
Jane kept giving signs and whispering to her friend to mention Jubril Elliot maybe they will have an idea.
“…. hello ma, if there’s no other request then I will have to end the call and I wish you well in your quest to find your husband….”
The man finally say.
Jane quickly dragged the phone out of Veronica’s hand
She interrupted the man before he will go off.
“Hold on sir… please…one more thing. Don’t be offended that we are bugging you too much. Is a very sensitive situation that we are into…please bear with us. Can you help us look up for another name… Jubril Elliot? Does such name exist in your company’s record?
The man asked her to hold on. After sometime he said
“Yes, there’s Jubril Elliot. He no longer works here though…he was dismissed from his duties long time ago and haven’t been seen or heard off. Who’s Mr Jubril to you?
The question sounded like a time bomb. A clear warning that something about him was fishy.
Veronica started throwing tantrum, she was reminding Jane of her warning but Jane having gotten a positive step on Jubril wanted to know more.
“We were wondering if Pete Johnson probably used such a name instead of his real name or they could be two different people. I don’t really know…is all confusing sir. I wish we can see a picture of what Jubril Elliot looks like. I’m sorry but we don’t want to leave any stone unturned. Or is there a problem with Mr Jubril…?
“, Jubril Elliot was in the sales department when he was working in this company and his seat as a salesman does not require him traveling. There was no need for him to go on a journey…we have people assigned for that. Mr Jubril was involved in….”
He paused and Jane who was very eager to hear the rest of what he had to say urged him to continue or even send a picture of the Jubril Elliot to them.
The man told them that they have to come over their office if they want to see the pictures of Mr Jubril and every other information about him.
Jane thanked the man and told him that they will decide on when exactly to come since is a long distance from where they live.
Jane thanked the man for his patients and the great help he rendered them.
After the call ended there was a short silent.
Jane managed to speak
“Vero, You have to drive over there and check out the pictures they have of Jubril Elliot in that way all this mystery will be solved. Even if Jubril is not Pete we can continue our search for him from a different angle or even involve the police. I know you don’t believe or want to believe that Jubril Elliot may have some similarities with Pete but Pete Johnson is not in there record while Jubril is… what will you say to that?
Veronica replied after long thought “this Jubril of a guy does not travel… his job description doesn’t requires such activity only those specially assigned for that. The man also said that he was dismissed, which means he was sacked by the company long time ago… which could be several years ago. But on the other hand Pete travels alot…he spent most of his life outside home. I will categorically say that Pete spend seventy five percent outside, traveling and just twenty five percent with us here. He had never spent a whole straight month with us due to the nature of his job according to him. So, I don’t think Pete have any connection with “Jubril” whoever he might be. The difference is huge Jane. However, he probably had some business stuffs or deal that they did together. What I can’t explain is the fact that this same company that Pete works for years doesn’t have his data. No data base on Pete Johnson who is a major staff, I don’t understand Jane…is getting all confusing…”
“That’s more reason why you need to go over there and find out for yourself Vero. Maybe if they see you in person they will explain further. Like I said earlier, let’s not leave any stone unturned. Let’s keep searching untill we find your husband…”
Vero complained of leaving the kids for such a journey.
Jane asked her not to worry she will watch them in her absence.
Veronica, after much thought decided that she will go over to the company herself.
They can’t possibly tell her that there’s no record of Pete Johnson, her husband.
It took her about a week to fully make up her mind.
Jane gave her some money and also fueled her car.
She promised to babysit the kids until she returns.
Veronica thanked her as she entered the road.
with the address of Pete’s company close by her side, she drove on without a second thought.
Her curiosity will soon be confirmed even though she had fears that she refused to speak off or admit to but she silently prayed that Pete is safe and not related in anyway to Jubril.
She will atleast get to see what Jubril Elliot looks like and also why his name was inscribed on Pete’s cup in her dream.
The man they spoke with said Jubril was involved in something, either accident or some shady deals.
he refused to say the rest.
That alone is a clear warning that Jubril is a bad news and can never be Pete Johnson or in anyway related.
Nothing was making sense but she hopes soon all this puzzle will be solved.

TBc
Re: In Between by Dapalace: 2:10pm On Oct 29, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 13
By AMAH’S HEART

Jane put the kids to work by giving them some children puzzle to sort out.
Veronica’s two kids and hers got busy as they concentrated on their different task.
Jane walked to the window, alot of things was going through her mind.
She checked the time and exhaled quietly.
“Lord I’m not much of a believer, my ways and wants kept us apart. I still struggle, is hard to be a single parent but I acknowledge your help at all time. I’m not sure if I’m truly good because my selfish, earthly desires gets in the way each time I try to focus. Forgive me… please, don’t look at my sins. My righteousness is like a filthy rag before you. Vero my friend is better off, she had always taken you serious and made herself available in your vineyard unlike me. So, this prayer is for her… she is in a difficult situation and needs you. Please show her mercy and help her to find her husband Pete. It seems her entire life is centered around him and she is not hiding it. Her world will crumple to dust if anything happens to Pete. I’m afraid of the unknown, what if something worst happened to him… what if he is the Jubril Elliot? Please, don’t listen to the crazy thoughts in my head. Vero is more than a friend for over a decade… she is a nice person but she sometimes gets carried away with her husband’s riches and seeing all of that got me pissed off. She is a human, I am too…filled with imperfections. Help her to find her husband and father to her kids….”
Veronica’s son called her attention, interrupting her from deep thought.
“Yes sweetie, what do you want?
“, Juice and snacks, and Aunty Jane I’m tired of the puzzle I want to watch the television…”
“Alright young man. I will fix juice and snacks for everyone and you will watch cartoon…”
As she stood to leave, Veronica daughter came to meet her
“Aunty Jane, when is my Mommy coming back?
Jane pat her gently on her shoulder and told her soon.
Is already an hour that Veronica have been gone, she needs to call her to know where she hai gotten to.

Jane opened the fridge and realized that there was no juice.
She closed back the the fridge and heaped a sigh of relief when she remembered that she packed some juice and snacks in her daughter’s lunch bag which will serve everyone
She put on the television before serving the kids.
just when she was about to finish, her phone rang.
Veronica was calling.
“Hello Jane, I’m stuck. My car refused to move in the middle of the road. Right in the middle of nowhere. I almost ran into an old man trying to cross the road. I lost control of the car while trying to dodge the strange man and it almost run into a bush. I was able to steady it and it stopped. Now, I’m right on this strange road… the car had refused to even start. I don’t even know where exactly I am right now except if I come down and ask. But how do I proceed when my car won’t start again…”
Jane sighed heavily before saying
“I’m sorry Vero. You have to come down and ask people for help so that they can push the car to a safe corner. Also ask them where exactly you are so that you will know how to proceed. The car probably needs servicing…my guess, because I don’t understand how an active car will suddenly stopped working just like that. Well, thank God there was no accident. What of the old man that you almost knocked down, hope he is alright?
“Funny enough I didn’t see him again. I don’t know where he entered or disappeared to. Jane, I’m really scared, worried and tired. I haven’t stopped thinking of what I will find out today at Pete’s office. What if Pete was involved in an accident, what if something bad happened to him. How will I cope with the kids… what will I do Jane? By the way… what of the kids?

Jane told her that the kids were alright and she shouldn’t be scared. She needs to proceed with the journey even if is by using public transport.
Veronica told her that motorist were horning for her to clear off the road properly.
She needs to find two or three person’s that will help her push the car off the road totally.
Jane said she was going to call her back.
After fifteen minutes Jane called back and Veronica said the car is finally off the road and it still refused to start but she will find her way.
Jane wished her well and ended the call.
After two hours there was a knock on the door.
It was Veronica.
“That was fast, how did it go? Did you get information on Pete, what does the Jubril Elliot guy look like? What was he involved in… tell me, what did they tell you Vero?
Jane was impatient to know what happened.
“I did not go again Jane. If I happened to go I won’t be coming back by this time. I will probably still be in their office or on my way back. After my car broke down, I lost the courage to proceed. I have to find my way home…”
Jane became speechless while Veronica went to get some chilled water to drink.

“Maybe I should go with you. We can both go tomorrow. Since school’s are on holiday I’m free except that I have to report to work in three days time but that’s not a problem, we will be done with our journey by then. and don’t worry about the kids, I will talk to my daughter’s nanny. She will take good care of them…”
Veronica was quiet for sometime.
“I don’t know Jane, I really don’t want to impose anything on you. You have done alot already. Maybe you should let me handle this since is my cross. I just hope I won’t mess things up…”
Jane sat with a smile on her face because she knew Veronica will reconsider.
Just as she thought, Veronica later said.
“….your presence will give me courage. If is okay with you then next tomorrow is fine and I also want to find means and bring my car home before then. I was owing our mechanic some money before he stopped coming, he won’t agree to come help me with the car if I call on him. How are we going to go without the car?
Jane told her that they will either use a taxi or public transport.

Veronica was not okay with the public transport but she was okay with a cab.
They finally agreed to go together with whatever means available.
On the said day they both set off.
the first taxi had a flat tyre, they took another and after few kilometers to the company’s address the second taxi they took broke down.
They have to look for another one but couldn’t find any.
Jane suggested that they continue their journey with public transportation.
Veronica objected and said they should wait for another taxi.
After about thirty minutes of not seeing any they had to join the public transport.
They finally got to the place but due to the whole delay on the road the security told them that they have to come tomorrow because the office was about to close for the day.
They pleaded and even told the man that they left children at home and needed to go back to them.

But the security in charge said the office hours is already closed and few more minutes they will shut down for the day.

He showed them the tag that indicates the opening and closing time.
He said there was nothing he can do except if they come the following day.
Jane needed to be at work the following day too and she may not be able to make it.

But as the security refused and some people were already leaving.
Veronica and Jane had to turn back.
Jane said they should get an affordable hotel and stay for the night and they will rise early in the morning and go to the company because if they go home who knows the difficulty they will encounter again on their way down.
Jane called her daughter’s nanny and briefed her of how difficult their journey was, she told her that they won’t be able to return tonight due to situation beyond their control but they will come back early tomorrow.

And that was how they got a hotel close to the company and stayed.
Waiting for tomorrow to come seem to be like a whole year as Veronica kept counting hours.
No matter how long it takes they will be inside the company tomorrow and despite all the strange problem from nowhere that they kept encountering nothing was going to stop them this time from finding out about Pete Johnson or Jubril Elliot.
Untill then, all they have to do was to wait.

Tbc
Re: In Between by Clachi(f): 8:16pm On Oct 29, 2021
Nice twist and turns; the suspense is real! Quite not so predictable; perhaps I am waiting for something I have never read or seen; you good, though I must confess, I did some run down, just to get the spice for details.Good job! There are many silent readers who are waiting for the next episode; so continue��

1 Like

Re: In Between by Dapalace: 9:40pm On Oct 29, 2021
Clachi:
Nice twist and turns; the suspense is real! Quite not so predictable; perhaps I am waiting for something I have never read or seen; you good, though I must confess, I did some run down, just to get the spice for details.Good job! There are many silent readers who are waiting for the next episode; so continue��
thanks for reading.;
Re: In Between by Nobody: 9:28am On Oct 30, 2021
Suspense!!!!

1 Like

Re: In Between by MummyIMadeIt: 10:14am On Oct 30, 2021
Nice story

1 Like

Re: In Between by ADUKKY(f): 10:29am On Oct 30, 2021
I feel for Veronica, definitely there's something sinister about Pete's disappearance. Welldone Op, the suspense is top notch.

1 Like

Re: In Between by Dapalace: 8:27pm On Oct 31, 2021
Thank y'all for your comment
Re: In Between by Dapalace: 8:30pm On Oct 31, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 14
By AMAH’S HEART.

She awaken in the middle of the night and tapped her friend awake.
“I just had another scary dream, it was as if I was going to pass out. A masked man was trying to suffocate me to death, I was struggling…so hard and when I couldn’t pull off his hand from my neck I grabbed him by the testicles he didn’t wince instead he slapped my hand off. He struck me in the eyes, I was not ready to give up the ghost yet, I know I needed to fight and it was in that process I held his face and was able to pull off his mask. Guess who it was Jane? My husband… Pete. It was Pete that was trying to strangle me to death again. He disappeared the moment I shouted his name, that was how I accompany it all with another heavy scream. I went screaming the blood of Jesus until I woke up…”
All sleepy head Jane who was quiet exhausted from their yesterday’s journey could utter was “hmmm”
Veronica continued
“…see Jane, this is no longer funny. Is not the first or second time I’m having a bad dream as such. I’m afraid to even close my eyes again because I don’t know what is waiting for me at the other end. The enemy is using Pete’s face to attack me everytime. Do you know that they can use somebody’s face that is very close to you to attack you but in reality this face the evil ones are using are oblivious to whatever that is going on. Is just like somebody using my face to chase you in the dream, you will be thinking I’m the one but I don’t even know what is going on. That’s exactly what the wicked one is doing with Pete’s face…”
“Hmmm” replied Jane again.
“I’m scared Jane, afraid of the unknown. Afraid of what I will find out in the morning at his office. The whole attack both in dream and even physical scares me. I know I hate to admit but Pete better be alive because I and the children needs him. I need my loving husband and wish all of this is just a night mare…”
Jane said few consoling word and asked her to get some sleep with the remaining three hours they have left.
Veronica who did not want to sleep just to avoid another nightmare struggled hard to stay awake but since she can’t cheat nature she later got carried away into the dream land.
Jane woke up around 5 :30am, she didn’t bother waking Veronica immediately because she knew how tired she must have been.
Jane called the hotel laundry service to bring their clothes which was given to them yesterday to tidy up since they didn’t come with any other wear.
Within few minutes there was a knock, she went to the door and collected their clothes from the room service staff that came to deliver it.
She asked them if they can have breakfast early because they were about leaving.
The staff told her that they were entitled to complimentary breakfast and it will be sent to their room within twenty minutes.
Jane freshened up and got dressed before waking Veronica.
Veronica was surprised that Jane was ready and there was breakfast too waiting on the table for her.
She quickly got ready, had her own breakfast and they both left by 8am.

Getting to the company which didn’t take upto an hour, Veronica introduced herself again to the man across the desk.

“Good morning, My name is Mrs Veronica Johnson and my husband’s name is Pete Johnson. I spoke with a man few days ago, I couldn’t get his name but he asked me to come. There’s information he needed to share with us…I will be grateful if you can help us get the man…?
“There’s a lot of men here madam that are qualified to attend to customers. I don’t know who you’re talking about, Maybe a name will do or you can tell me what exactly you want…?
Veronica sighed. To start narrating the whole story to another different person was a big deal for her.

She wish it was the same man attending to them now that spoke to them the other day, it would have been alot easier. she did not bother to know the name of the nice man that they spoke to the other day or maybe he mentioned it but she never took notice.
“Nelson….Mr Nelson…”
Jane suddenly said. She heard the man mention a name like that in the beginning of the call to Veronica, None of them took it serious due to the sensitive issue they had at hand.
Veronica and the staff across the counter turned to look at Jane.
“….I think his name is Nelson. I don’t know if I’m totally correct but…”
“Oh Mr Nelson, he is not yet in the office. He is one of the smart bosses here. We have alot of bosses in this company, you’re lucky to have Mr Nelson attend to you. If he is truly the one then is better you wait for him because I don’t know how sensitive is your request. Mr Nelson will be in a better position to answer all your questions…”
The man said while pointing at the reception for them to go and sit down and wait.
Veronica paused and said
“Before he arrives can you help me look up a name. Nobody have been able to give me a positive answer. My husband works here, he is a long time staff and should be well known. His name is Pete Johnson… please check your system or ask other old staffs. His name supposed to be in your records of staffs. check for me while I wait… Mr Nelson will handle the rest whenever he comes…”
The man searched the name on his computer but no such name. He called the intercoms to ask but the older staffs does not know anybody with such name.

He told Veronica that there was no staff with such name.
She sighed and asked him to check Jubril Elliot.
Without checking the man said he knows Jubril Elliot and his picture and name was plastered at the customer hall.
Just when Veronica was about asking where the customer hall was located the man said.
“Here comes Mr Nelson…he will take the rest of your questions…”
Veronica and Jane turned and saw a man in a nice suit and tie with briefcase, car keys and phone in hand approaching the counter.

The man across the counter greeted him with respect before introducing Veronica and Jane.
Nelson turned to them and said.
“Hello Ladies, you’re asking of me… now I’m here. How can I help you…oh, please follow me to my office…”
They followed him and after he settled down Veronica reintroduced herself again as Mrs Johnson.
“I remember madam, you wanted to see what Jubril Elliot looks like and also every other information regarding him… right?
Veronica and Jane chorused “yes” at the same time
He asked them to follow him to the customer hall where several pictures and other information were pasted.
He pointed at a particular information on the wall and said.
“That’s Jubril Elliot info and picture over there…”
Nelson told them to come back to his office whenever they are done.
He Left them and return to his office.
Just from few feet away Veronica can see clearly that it was Pete, her husband and not Jubril.
She looked at Jane and Jane looked back at her in total shock.

They moved closer to read what the information about Jubril says.
It was a clear heading which state that Jubril Elliot is no longer a staff of the company and the company issues a warning for customers not to transact any kind of business with him.
It was dated a year back.
Veronica stared at the picture for a long time
Pete never mentioned he had a twin that was his replica, that works in the same company with him.
But the strange thing is that Pete’s name wasn’t on the company’s record.
“Vero, that’s Pete…. your husband!.
Jane found her voice and said quietly to Vero.
Veronica shunned her immediately.
“, This isn’t Pete. The name on it says Jubril Elliot. I never get to ask Pete if he had twin or somebody with his whole physical appearance. They’re not only using his face in the dream to manipulate and attack me… even in physical, like what we are staring at right now. My husband name is Pete Johnson and I must get to the root of all this. I will find Pete because he is alive somewhere and never involved in a crime or one of the most wanted men in the list of the company. Pete had no bad reputation and I can swear with my last breath that there is a mix-up somewhere. This isn’t Pete although it may have his resemblance but my husband and father of my children is a clean, kind hearted man. Jubril is a bad news, I knew it right from start and he probably tries to lure Pete into some act of which Pete turned down. I won’t give up until my husband returns home to us…”
After standing there they decided to move back to Nelson’s office.

Jane believed is Pete but the whole thing was too confusing for her.
It became more confusing when Nelson said.
“You’re looking for your husband Pete Jonson and you have been married for just five years. Well, is obvious that he is not here. But make sure your husband has nothing to do with Mr Jubril. Mr Jubril is dubious and has a lot of criminal records. He was involved in so many illicit act while he was here. His case is not only with the police but he was locked up for about three months and was later released after certain bail was paid by his wife but that does not mean he won’t be returning back to prison if we confirm more criminating act leveled against him. We warned everyone, mainly our customers to stay off Jubril Elliot because our company won’t be responsible for any dubious or fraudulent charge against him…”
He cleared his throat and continued.
“…Your husband is not part of our staff Mrs Johnson. I don’t know the connection between your husband and Jubril but you need to be careful, Jubril Elliot is a dangerous man… I must warn you, you ladies needs to be careful…”
Jane who couldn’t stay calm asked.
“Did you say he was bailed out by his wife?
“Yes, he is married with kids. To our understanding Mr Jubril have been married for about sixteen years now and have grown kids… about three. His last child should be around ten or eleven. I can’t remember anymore…does it have any relating details with Pete Johnson’?
Veronica quickly replied that it does not.
Jane opened and shut her mouth as word dried up from her mouth.
Veronica whispered to Jane’s ear
“Can you see now that Jubril is a total different person from Pete? I have been married for only five years to my husband while Jubril Elliot has a wife of over ten, fifteen years…?
“Hmmm, this is scary and strange” that’s all Jane could say.
“So ladies, hope I have been able to answer all your questions. Sorry that I still don’t know who Pete Johnson is or his whereabout. Maybe you should report to the police. Mrs Johnson, your husband name does not exist in our record and you said earlier that he probably has something to do with Jubril Elli….”
Veronica interrupted him before he will finish.
“No…no…no. they’re totally two different people. I will continue the search for my husband. Thank you so much Mr Nelson, you have been very helpful and I truly appreciate your kind and patient heart. We will be on our way now…”
Veronica stood first with her bag in hand.
Jane who was ready to dig up more wanted to ask several questions but Veronica was already up.
The picture on the wall was that of Pete, her friend’s husband with a different name. The whole identity thing was totally different and yet it scares her.
Even though is hard to admit but what if Pete is truly Jubril Elliot
Is unbelievable yet anything was possible at this stage that they were in.
There was more to dig up, Yes there must be more to all of this.

What next now for Veronica who may never believe that Jubril might be Pete, her dear stainless husband.
But what if there’s truly a “mix-up” and they are two different persons?
What if…?
(

Tbc
Re: In Between by Ifyliss: 9:04am On Nov 02, 2021
Nice story..keep it coming

1 Like

Re: In Between by Dapalace: 11:46am On Nov 02, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 15
By AMAH’S HEART.

“… this better be some kind of expensive joke. That’s why I have refused to believe any of it. No…no God, it can’t be true. I will continue saying it no matter how long it takes…”
Veronica kept muttering to herself as she stared at Pete’s pictures on her phone.
The cheque she retrieved from the store was lying on the table.
“… Jubril Elliot can’t be Pete Johnson. They’re two different people. Yes, Make it to be so Lord… make it so or if not I’m a living corpse… please. I believe in you Lord and I know you will put my enemies to shame. How will I face the church, how do I move on? I will be ruined… totally. Jubril Elliot…it can’t be. Don’t let it be. God, I know you won’t…”
There was a knock on the door startling her.
“…God… let it be Pete, Pete…it must be my husband. A clear answer that you listened and heard all my prayers and already making it come to past. Yes Lord..I know you’ve done it. I believe in your miracle. Thank you Jesus… because I know and I can feel in my spirit that is my husband. I believe it by faith…yes, my faith is bigger than that of a mustard seed that you mentioned in the bible. Is like the size of a watermelon or coconut… big and strong. Thank you Lord for bringing Pete Johnson, my husband home…”
Veronica started singing a melodious song as she rushed downstairs to open the door.
As she opened the door she stared into the face of the man staring back at her.
She was supposed to jump on him and start leaping for joy but because he is not the man she wish he was the joy she had earlier disappeared.
“Good morning madam…”
Veronica angrily replied “yes, what do you want…?
The man seems surprised by the question. He reintroduced himself again.
“Is me Sinus, the guy from the waste company, I’m here to pack your dustbins like I do every Friday. I have packed the ones outside and will like to know if you have any other one inside and also the money for the…”

“I don’t have…” Veronica interrupted before he could complete what he was saying.
She shut the door and angrily walked back inside.
Just when she was climbing the staircase another knock came.
She boiled down angrily as she turned back and went to the door to warn the dustbin guy off her door.
“…. get out of my property, I said I don’t…”
She paused as she realized it was Jane.
“….oh Jane. I thought is the guy that packs my trash…”
“I was already wondering why you were ready to punch me in the face. How’re you doing? Jane said as she walked into the house.

“Good…but not too good. To be sincere I’m not close to anything good at this moment. I’m becoming a shadow of my self, acting like an aggressive crazy woman. Why is this happening to me…? I didn’t do anything wrong to deserve this. Jane, I don’t see why I should be going through this hell. My husband is out there, no one has any information about him. He is lost and I’m equally lost in this desert of worries. I don’t know which way or how to get out of this dark moment. Pete haven’t returned so I can’t be fine until I set my eyes on him…”
Jane sat down without a word.
Veronica continued
“…My kids resumed school for another term last week and the school is threatening to send them home this week if the fees and my outstanding debt is not cleared, they even said that they don’t run charity organization so I should be ready to either pay up or have my kids home. I don’t have any money and I used most of the money you gave me to bring back my car and the remaining I had to use it for foodstuffs. I don’t know what to sell, or who to run to..”
Jane cleared her throat and said.
“I thought there’s a car parked in the garage that you or your husband hardly use?
“Is in total bad shape. It belongs to Pete…he crashed it long time ago before I gave birth to my boy and ever since is being parked there. The mechanics where demanding for a huge amount to fix it, Pete said it should remain in the garage until he decides what to do with it…”
Jane breathed deeply and said
“,Sell it, sell it as scrap..sell it off and use the money for some other things. Your kids school is very expensive Vero, Pete isn’t here for now…is almost 8months that he haven’t showed up. You can’t continue like this Vero. Change the kids school to a more affordable school. I have list of schools that are good yet very affordable. I’m not saying you shouldn’t have hope or wait for Pete to show up and clear off the bills but for now you have to restrategize while waiting…”
Veronica flares up.
“Jane, are you in anyway assuming that my husband may not return?
“You know that’s not what I meant Vero bu…
Veronica interrupted
“Hold your”but” selling off his damaged expensive car, changing the children’s well recognized school and counting months of Pete’s absence is exactly what you meant. You never said anything positive because you’ve already concluded that Pete won’t return but I’m here to put it to you that he will return and my enemies will be put to shame. My husband will come back soon…I can feel it in my guts..”
She walks away from Jane who said nothing again but to sit with her phone in hand.
After sometime Veronica retuned.
Jane said to her.
“Listen to me Vero, is high time you start coming in term with the truth and get ready to face whatever may come thereafter. I understand how hard this whole thing must be for you but don’t make it harder on yourself by refusing to face the truth. You cast and bind Jubril Elliot having anything to do with your husband instead of digging deep to know the connection they share. Or isn’t it obvious that what we fear may actually be the truth? Vero, I’m your friend and can only help you to some extent, you’re the one in the shoe and you understand how much it pinches. You needs leave all this lies that you’re using to console yourself and face the truth and also the challenges that comes with it. Sell the car off, it will worth alot of money, change the kids school to a less expensive place. Set yourself up with some business or something else meaningful that will be fetching little money, Go in search of Pete or Jubril to know what becomes of him. I know is been about three weeks we visited his company but I believe Mr Nelson will be willing to give us the address to Jubril Elliot location. Don’t blame God or wallow in self pity… enough of all this. Is time to take action, if I leave here I won’t bother you again with plans of what to do because I’m tired of repeating the same thing each time and nothing is done. The last time I suggested that you get the address and let’s go and search for Jubril who may be related to Pete you almost swallowed me alive. You rejected and bind me up with the holy ghost fire because you’re afraid of the truth. I’m saying it again… maybe the last time. God is merciful to you and that’s why he is revealing the hidden things that could have been worst. Take action Vero…quit wasting time believing in some miracle that may never happen….”
Jane stood up and left. Leaving Veronica to think about all she said.
After two days Veronica’s kids were sent home from school and until the school debt is cleared they won’t be allowed to resume back.

Veronica had to start thinking about everything all over again.
She went into the garage some days Later and knew it was time to sell off Pete’s old car.
She called a mechanic and big work shop owner to come check it out.
Most of the parts cost lots of money and the engine was still very good but the body was damaged.
She had never thought of the car if not that Jane raised the topic, reminding her.
They negotiated and after taking so long to negotiate they finally agreed on a price.

Veronica sold it off and a towing company sent in their towing van and the car was carried out.
Veronica called Jane and asked her to suggest a good, cheap school and Jane willingly recommend a good one close to her.
After two weeks she was able to register her kids in another school which wasn’t too far from their house.
She made up her mind to take the big step of searching for Jubril maybe he will have connections with Pete.

Veronica called Mr Nelson and asked for Jubril Elliot’s address.

She later got the address and informed Jane on what she finally decided to do.
She was going to go alone and only needed her help with the kids.

Jane agreed to help take care of the children in her absence.

More episodes@ www.dapalace.com

Veronica looked round the big house and exhaled loudly.
It was time to go on this dreaded journey.
time to meet Jubril Elliot and face her fears.

Tbc
Re: In Between by Dapalace: 7:22pm On Nov 05, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 16.
By AMAH’S HEART.

She drove close to the location, parked in a private store before entering the road with leg.
She walked around the area before returning to her car

She was lucky to have fixed and came along with her car on this journey.
She arrived the city in the afternoon but the gut to proceed further left her and she decided to lodge in a hotel.

It was while she was alone in her hotel room that she planned on how exactly to go about it all.
The said address is still miles away from the hotel she lodged according to the people she asked.

She had fear, great fear of the unknown and wish Jane had come along with her but looking at the bright side of this whole journey this was her fight, and it should be personal.
And no matter what happens today she won’t give up until Pete returns home to her and the kids.

She called Jane to ask how the kids were doing, Jane was more eager for updates on how the whole journey was going.

Veronica told her that by tomorrow she will be going to the said address. She couldn’t meet up due to it was already late.

She asked Jane to say few prayers for her maybe God will hear her because right now she doesn’t have the right words to communicate to God.
All she was after is for her husband to return home to her and the kids.

Jane promised to do as she asked.

The

following day, Veronica set out.
She drove on and asked questions whenever she wasn’t sure.
When she got to the address, she sat in her car watching the gate and wondering what next.
She checked the time and it was 10am

Veronica mustered courage, came down from her car and walked to the gate.
She knocked twice but no response came. She knocked again and yet nobody answered.
She decided to return to her car and wait for anybody that will either come out or enter the gate but on a second thought she pushed the gate and it opened.

Veronica looked round the big compound and the beautiful three storey building in it

She does not know which way to the main house due to the way the house was built.
Cars, about three were relaxing under a big canopy shade.
The house looks more like a hotel with the whole architecture designs.

She was still looking round when she heard a door open.

“Yes, can I help you ma’am?
An average height fair lady in an apron asked .

Veronica forgot everything she had practice back at the hotel.
She quietly approached the woman who stood by the door watching her.

“Hiiii….uhmm… sorry, Good morning madam… I knocked on the gate but no response… so, I decided to come in.”

Her hands became sweaty. The lady is probably the main madam of the house she need to think fast before the lady either tagged her as a thief or throw her out.

“Yes, Who are you looking for or how can I help you?

She asked Veronica without a smile on her face.
Veronica who couldn’t think of what to say in such situations was trying to fabricate a lie in her head when another door, close to the first that the lady came out from opened up all of a sudden and a woman, way older and more sophisticated came out.

“Abby, what is going on and who is this?
The woman asked the first lady in an apron.
Obviously the lady in an apron that she called Abby must either be a worker or relative.

Abby opened her mouth to reply but the rich looking woman suddenly exclaimed with joy on her face as she pointed towards a surprised Veronica who haven’t been able to come up with anything yet.

“Jemima… you’re from Jemima…she sent you…?

Veronica startled a little before nodding as she wondered who the Jemima was.
The woman took few feet closer to her and said.

“…
you’re in the right place then. I’m Mrs Elliot, this is Abby my housekeeper. Forgive her manners. I have already made arrangements for your coming. What’s your name? Jemima told me that she had little accident yesterday morning and can’t make it down but she will be sending somebody down this morning. By the way, how is she doing… hope the accident isn’t serious?
Veronica managed to say
“No… Is just a minor injury. She will be fine. My name is… Ver… vVictoria, you can call me Vicky… madam”

The woman waved her hand in the air and said.
“Come off it Vicky, instead of calling me madam please call me Patricia or Mrs Elliot. Forgive my manners… come inside please.

Patricia led her into the fine looking house.
She tried to offer Veronica drink with snacks but she declined.

Patricia started showing her around the massive looking sitting room.

“…I will show you round but this particular place is where the main party will take place… you can take as many pictures as you want and also note down anything that needs few or more touches….”

Veronica was still lost on what exactly Jemima was supposed to be doing. She was just following the woman and nodding to everything she says without any objections.
She paused at a picture decorated wall, where many pictures where in display.

She stared at one particular wall framed picture that got her attention.

Patricia with her husband in their wedding attire which seems to be taken many years ago.
They had both traditional and a court wedding pictures hanging on the wall.

Jubril Elliot was the man in the picture.
she could have swear that he was a younger version of Pete but that can’t be possible or could it?
Well, that’s why she was in this risky mission. To find out the truth.

They both cuddled up in another picture beside the wedding picture and they both appeared inlove.
The other pictures where either with their children celebrating one thing or the other.

“That’s my husband…
Veronica was startled from the voice that spoke behind her ears.
She turned and it was Patricia who quickly apologised for coming at her like she did.

“Oh…I see. He is good looking. You two looks so lovely. But…Sorry for asking, How long have you been married and where is he now?

“This will be our sixteenth year wedding anniversary which was why we decided to throw big celebration. Blessed with two beautiful daughters and a son. When we contacted Jemima who is well known for her interior decorations I was eager to see how she will turn this whole interior into something unique. She did it before… two years ago when we celebrated our anniversary too and also my birthday. I was expecting something more outstanding until she called to inform us that she can’t make it due the accident but promised to send somebody to scoop through. As you can see there is enough space and room for creative design. We couldn’t celebrate last year due to some problem that came up but this year is going to be grand. If you need anything kindly let me know or call Abby my housekeeper. Oh, pardon me… you asked another question… where my husband is at the moment? He visited his family house to see his parents and siblings. He will be back soon…he went yesterday evening and should be on his way by now. Are you married…or do you have kids…”?

Veronica cleared her throat first as she tried to reply while her eyes was fixed on the man’s smiling picture with his wife.

“Yes…yes, I’m married with kids…”
Veronica without thinking touched the face of the man in the picture and said
“…He had the same eyes, same features… just as my husband… Pete. I wonder where he is…”

“Did you just say Pete? Patricia asked while Veronica withdraw back her hand.

She turned and looked at Patricia, not knowing what to say.

“…. that’s the name my husband calls me. Well, not exactly but he sometimes calls me either Pety or Pete. He is not the type that calls all this sugar coated name so he gave me a special name carved out from my name Patricia. Instead of Pat or Tricia as many will call me he decided that Pety or Pete was a perfect name and for years he had always calls me that… and I love it and already used to it. He used to travel a whole lot in the past but not again. I and the kids are happy to have him around while he run his personal pharmaceutical business which isn’t too far from the house. Alot of challenges in the past… that’s why we are both looking forward to this anniversary to remind ourselves of the importance of family, love and many other uncountable blessings in our lives. Do you say your husband name is Pete…”?

“No…is…pet..ter.
his name is Peter. Your family is so warm and your home is like a museum… beautiful.”
Veronica changed the topic immediately so that Patricia won’t ask her another personal question.

What a coincidence that her husband calls her Pete.
Veronica still couldn’t make sense out of everything and decided to continue her acting.

She brought out her phone and was taking pictures, making Patricia assume is part of the decor job description.

“We have had so many memories in this house. I had my three children in this house. We sold off some of our properties but this house held so many tears and laughter for us and this is why we always use it during each year celebration. As a top real estate agent, I haven’t been able to enter a house as warm and homely like ours….”
Patricia said smiling.

Veronica stared at her, she had a friendly aura around her. this was her opportunity to get her contact.

“If you don’t mind.. can I get your contact? I know Jemima has it but I don’t and just in case I’m interested in buying a home or selling one I know a reliable source to contact for that purpose.

“,Sure Vicky… there is no problem. Hold on let me get my business card for you…”
She later handed her contact card to Veronica before going back upstairs.

Few moments later, she heard a car horn outside.
Patricia who was upstairs interacting with either the kids or somebody else ran downstairs.
Her lookalike son and one of her daughter who was almost her height but obviously a teenager was with her.

Patricia looked over at Veronica, smiled and said.
“My husband is back…”
Veronica smiled back as she watched them walk to the door.
She rushed to the window to have a clearer view of the man but couldn’t see much.

Veronica returned to her previous position and continued acting like an interior decorator checking things out.

Few minutes later
The door swung open and they all entered the house talking and laughing at the same time as the kids asked of how their grandparents, aunty Helen and uncle Rico.
Veronica doesn’t know who the people they were mentioning are and is obvious that she was in a wrong house and needs to find her way out immediately before things get wrong or before Patricia finds out that she was not sent from Jemima.

She was in a wrong house, although the pictures looks like that of Pete but that’s obviously Jubril Elliot not her Pete Johnson who never had parents or siblings except his sister who was married and live far away.

Patricia said her husband visited his parents and that information alone makes her relax because Pete’s parents are late.
they died in a motor accident. He does not have much relative aside his only sister which was why none of his family members where present during their own wedding.

She

was in Jubril Elliot’s house, and with the whole dream and scary stories from his company about what he did in the past, it was far too dangerous for her to be here.
She needs to get out right away.
“Hey Vicky… meet the second upcoming celebrant, my husband… Mr Jubril Elliot…”

Patricia said laughing while Veronica quietly turned to greet the man.
Patricia introduced Veronica as the lady sent by Jemima the interior decorator.

His smiling face changed into a frown

“Vero… He said with a shocked voice mixed with anger.

Veronica opened her eyes in a wider shock.
Could this be Pete?
“Pete… is that you? She exclaimed loudly almost shaking.

The whole place fell silent that they can hear each others different breathing sound.

Tbc
Re: In Between by OlufemiWhit(m): 11:24am On Nov 06, 2021
She found him.....finally

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Man And The Prophet (a Short Story)_ohibenemma / Boarding School Secrets ( Afrimedia ) / The Earplug - A Short Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 384
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.