Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,245 members, 7,936,812 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 12:39 AM

In What Way Are Religious People Different From Atheists ? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / In What Way Are Religious People Different From Atheists ? (945 Views)

Famous Last Words, From Atheists, Before They Died / Donald Trump; "We Worship God......." Epic Reply From Atheists (screenshots) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In What Way Are Religious People Different From Atheists ? by Workch: 5:00pm On Nov 19, 2021
triplechoice:

You earlier said most scientist and never specify if they were professors. You don't need to be a scientist or practice more science to become an atheist. When you already believe in a god,( depending what god) an increase in scientific knowledge may result in non belief. That is the pattern. But not in all cases

The unintentionally contradiction has helped some of us , me especially, to have a rethink of what we used to believe. But this doesn't mean that science is actively interested in replacing religion.

Concerning quantum physics and believing in Noah's ark, not every Christian take the story as literal. So those can still be good in quantum physics and excell in it.

But wait. I thought they said that if you think you know quantum physics, then you don't know it. If that is true , then who are those that can excell in it?

And please which of the gods are we talking about

Please kindly show me where I said most scientists are atheists?

The data shows that the more one digs into the ranks of science, the lesser the believe in god prevails.

More science, less beliefs. Most professors and scientists at the top of their science field cadre usually do not believe in god. This is fact

The idea that one shouldn’t take the Noah ark story literally is a deceitful way of covering the loopholes in the story. It’s either the story is false or true and it’s obviously false from a scientific evidence point of view. No mincing words
Most Top scientists cannot believe such stories because it’s contradicts everything we know in science
Re: In What Way Are Religious People Different From Atheists ? by triplechoice(m): 6:39pm On Nov 19, 2021
Workch:
Please kindly show me where I said most scientists are atheists?

The data shows that the more one digs into the ranks of science, the lesser the believe in god prevails.

More science, less beliefs. Most professors and scientists at the top of their science field cadre usually do not believe in god. This is fact

The idea that one shouldn’t take the Noah ark story literally is a deceitful way of covering the loopholes in the story. It’s either the story is false or true and it’s obviously false from a scientific evidence point of view. No mincing words
Most Top scientists cannot believe such stories because it’s contradicts everything we know in science

Your first comment suggested that most within the scientific community are atheists. Go back and see.

As for your data, it captures those in the US alone. I hope you're not ignoring that? What of scientist in other countries. what do you know?

See, one doesn't need to be a professor in the sciences to become an atheist. Science doesn't extinguished belief completely and It has never succeeded in doing so.

Noah's story is a myth. It is unnecessary and a waste of time to use science to investigate what is obviously a myth.

There's is reason you were made to accept it as a real story; it is to stimulate believe in the Christian God. Every religion does the same thing.

Yes, it is deception but it is a means to an end and it is what you don't know..
Re: In What Way Are Religious People Different From Atheists ? by Workch: 6:57pm On Nov 19, 2021
triplechoice:

Your first comment suggested that most within the scientific community are atheists. Go back and see.
My first comment did not suggest that most scientist don’t believe in god, my first comment suggest that the disbelief in god in more prevalent in the scientific world than any other sphere. Please kindly know the difference.

[quote{ As for your data, it captures those in the US alone. I hope you're not ignoring that? What of scientist in other countries. what do you know? [/quote] That’s the only available data to work with, another data suggest that scientists in Europe and China are more atheistic.

See, one doesn't need to be a professor in the sciences to become an atheist. Science doesn't extinguished belief completely and It has never succeeded in doing so.
i didn’t say you have to be a professor to be an atheist. Data shows that the more scientific you become, the more you stop believing in religion. That’s why the U.S reveals that people who are excel up to the point of becoming professors in science have more atheistic tendencies. This may not be true in less advanced countries in Africa.

Noah's story is a myth. It is unnecessary and a waste of time to use science to investigate what is obviously a myth.
it’s also necessary to stop teaching it as fact and trying to teach it in science classes. Fundamentalist are trying to do that in Europe and U.S. please kindly read about how the church has been trying to integrate creation myths in science curriculum in U.S. specifically read about the Kansas school board creation motion and, Ken Ham’s effort and institute of creation science.

There's is reason you were made to accept it as a real story; it is to stimulate believe in the Christian God. Every religion does the same thing.
I don’t have a problem with people believing things as long as they keep those beliefs to themselves and not try to make it a universal fact and try to make it influence my personal space.

Yes, it is deception but it is a means to an end and it is what you don't know..

i don’t understand what you mean here
Re: In What Way Are Religious People Different From Atheists ? by Workch: 6:58pm On Nov 19, 2021
triplechoice:

My first comment did not suggest that most scientist don’t believe in god, my first comment suggest that the disbelief in god in more prevalent in the scientific world than any other sphere. Please kindly know the difference.

As for your data, it captures those in the US alone. I hope you're not ignoring that? What of scientist in other countries. what do you know?
That’s the only available data to work with, another data suggest that scientists in Europe and China are more atheistic.

i didn’t say you have to be a professor to be an atheist. Data shows that the more scientific you become, the more you stop believing in religion. That’s why the U.S data reveals that people who excel up to the point of becoming professors in science have more atheistic tendencies. This may not be true in less advanced countries like in Africa.

it’s also necessary to stop teaching it as fact and trying to teach it in science classes. Fundamentalist are trying to do that in Europe and U.S. please kindly read about how the church has been trying to integrate creation myths in science curriculum in U.S. specifically read about the Kansas school board creation motion and, Ken Ham’s effort and institute of creation science.

I don’t have a problem with people believing things as long as they keep those beliefs to themselves and not try to make it a universal fact and try to make it influence my personal space.

Re: In What Way Are Religious People Different From Atheists ? by triplechoice(m): 8:00pm On Nov 29, 2021
Workch:

You created the confusion at the beginning of our conversation.

At first, you asserted something confidently and it formed the basis of my initial response . I suspected you were trying to create a false impression; theist don't know science and how the world works and blah blah blah ,then naturally it should be more atheist and less theist in the scientific world.

If you deny that wasn't your intention, why did you then suddenly replace the word, atheist , in your next reply and your other replies with the phrase, " do not believe in a god" or "accept the god claim," which loosely covers atheist and continued until the point you succeeded in blurring the lines and thereby ended up steering the conversation from its normal course. I am not stupid not to notice

You were using different expressions to mean the same thing. The reason we got here.

No way you would have been confident in making your subsequent claims if you had been consistent . And now here you are telling me I should know the difference. You yourself should be sure of the meaning of the words and phrases you use in your conversation so as to avoid creating confusion.

The phrase, (people who) "do not believe in a god " doesn't exactly cover atheist. Atheism is a lack of or the absence of belief in the existence of God or gods and the supernatural due to lack of inadequate evidence. If you say you don't believe in a god and end it there, it doesn't equate atheist, it implies a god might exist somewhere or actually exist. but you don't believe in it .

There are people who don't believe in a god or accept the god claim but still believe in the supernatural or accept it. Those ones are not atheist. You should be the one doing this explanation as an atheist not me who is almost agnostic.

Below is your first comment and please stick to the key word ,"atheist," if we should continue. Don't blur the lines again with word abracadabra

Workch:
Delusions and profound inability to understand statistics/probabilities, science and how the universe works.
This is the reason why the scientific community has more atheists than any other group of people.
I believe you changed it because you don't want to be pinned down to one thing

That’s the only available data to work with, another data suggest that scientists in Europe and China are more atheistic.

There's data that don't fully give support to the above. If you don't know then you're arguing with limited information. The real reason why we have more atheist in certain regions of the world is due to the type of false religious constructs and fake supernatural claims or practices that they were exposed to at some point in their lifes. Once they get to know the truth about what they use to believe, they feel a deep sense of betrayer and anger that all their lives they have been duped with lies and so the
next thing is to abandon it.

And again in the western world, a lot of people are too embarrassed to be openly associated with any religion or anything supernatural because you would be regarded as not too educated or smart enough.
So shame is another reason some persons even become atheist in the western world.

And again,if US were to be a Buddhist country or a country
where some other kind of religion that are unlike the two mostly practiced, I believe we would have very few atheist practicing the sciences over there.

It has been argued that Buddhism is almost atheistic and there some atheist who find that religion very appealing . Buddhist don't worship a god and some of their religious practices find some support in science. Back home in Nigeria, an IFA initiate who is a scientist would hardly abandon that religion no matter the level of scientific education acquired. In IFA traditional religion, gods are a personification of natural energies and they are never worshipped contrary to what the public thinks. Infact in traditional African religion we "use" god in the form of energy. So my friend ,you need enough information before you can confidently state anything. It is obvious that your atheistic worldview is based on the two popular religions in the world which are false religious constructs and it is from this position you're interpreting everything around you. You won't know the complete truth from there.

i didn’t say you have to be a professor to be an atheist. Data shows that the more scientific you become, the more you stop believing in religion. That’s why the U.S data reveals that people who excel up to the point of becoming professors in science have more atheistic tendencies. This may not be true in less advanced countries like in Africa.
The above is not completely true because it is not so everywhere and I already explained why. And are you implying that African scientist are not practicing the same science as their counterparts elsewhere? Is it different set of scientific facts and theories for Africans and another for Europeans? If it is the case then you are included.

The Church has been trying and trying but it will never see the light of day. The people pushing for it a religious fundamentalist and nobody takes them serious and Ken Ham's head is not there at all.A lot of theist
even oppose the idea .So they have less support. You're just worried over nothing. In Nigeria ,it can't even work not to talk of US with strong laws ,which protects the rights of everyone. Such fantasies will be nipped in the bud before they even begin

What you should be more worried of is that atheist don't entrench themselves everywhere and it doesn't matter if you are one. If they do, especially the fanatical atheist then what is happening in China would be replicated everywhere. There are uprooting everywhere form of religious expression whether good or bad in order to take complete control of the lives of their people. Nobody wants that in the modern world that we live in.

Then also learn to respect the beliefs of others too by not intruding into their space. You constantly label religious people as not normal and yet you live amongst people who are mostly religious . how do you then expect to have harmonious relationship with people you look down upon as almost insane?

Get to do more readings and research on other world religion apart of the popular ones then my statement would make sense. Presently, your opinion on religion in general and the supernatural is founded on
wrong information given to you by Christians or Muslims
Re: In What Way Are Religious People Different From Atheists ? by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 9:53pm On Nov 29, 2021
LordReed:

LoLz. So for one thing how come the richest person in the world is not a "TRUE LOVERS OF GOD"?
Lol
Infact,the less religious a society becomes the more prosperous too
Re: In What Way Are Religious People Different From Atheists ? by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 9:59pm On Nov 29, 2021
Actually, religious people are special

Re: In What Way Are Religious People Different From Atheists ? by LordReed(m): 12:36am On Nov 30, 2021
BeLookingIDIOT:

Lol
Infact,the less religious a society becomes the more prosperous too

I choose to see it as the less people misuse religion the more prosperous the society.

(1) (2) (Reply)

If You Are A Yahoo Boy In This Church, Take Your Money And Go" - Pastor Ibiyeomi / Why Jehovah Is A Massive Failure / This Is Why Satan And His Demonic Spirits Are Obsessed With Blood Sacrifice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.