Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,932 members, 7,962,972 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 09:50 PM

Between Ojukwu And Igbos Love For PDP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Between Ojukwu And Igbos Love For PDP (239 Views)

GRV Praises David Hundenyin, Colonel Ojukwu, And Others / Anambra PDP, Godwin Maduka, Bianca Ojukwu And Lessons From APGA / 22-Year-Old Ojukwu And His Aunty, Winifred, On His Return From Oxford In 1955 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Ojukwu And Igbos Love For PDP by TooNoisy(f): 4:48pm On Jan 23, 2022
As the South East continues to clamour for the Presidency of Nigeria, it is important that we revisit how we got here and what lessons can be learnt.

At the return to democracy, PDP as a party was created by the retired generals mainly of Northern extraction and policians from across the South South and South East. Though there were politicians from the South West, the majority of their politicians were in the AD.

PDP had a clean sweep of the South East and got the presidency while the AD/ANPP played opposition. Ikemba Ojukwu later decided to form APGA as a pan-Igbo political party almost similar to the AD in the South West. Please note that Ojukwu is widely regarded as the greatest Igbo leader who ever lived and it was expected that APGA would begin to dominate South East politics and would turn the SE into one voting block.

Ojukwu decided to run for the presidency in 2003 under APGA and the result was very disappointing. He not only came a distant third to Obasanjo and Buhari, he actually lost to Obasanjo in the South East only winning in Anambra. Ojukwu performed so poorly in Ebonyi, he had about the same votes as Buhari. Why did the Igbo reject their lifetime hero.

Ojukwu again ran for President in 2007 against Yar Adua, Buhari and Atiku. It even got worse. Ojukwu came 6th, even coming behind Orji Uzo Kalu and getting only 155k votes. He did not win one state in the South East. How could this be. The Igbos had voted for a Fulani in Yar Adua over their own two sons - Ikemba Ojukwu and Orji Uzo Kalu.

My question is - why did the Igbo voters reject Ojukwu and his party APGA. How did they vote PDP twice- a party dominated by Fulani against their own hero? They keep shouting Ojukwu everyday but twice refused to vote for him. The party he created - APGA- is at best a one state party and has not won anything outside Anambra.

One thing is clear - the SE blindly vote for the PDP. Even if the PDP presents a cat for president, they can be sure of the Igbo vote. So I believe the Igbo should genuinely ask the Fulani dominated PDP for a presidential slot or a vice presidential slot for once. But if I were PDP, I will zone the presidency to the North and the VP to the South South because the Igbo will always vote PDP. They have always voted PDP and they will not vote another party. With that assurance, the PDP can zone the presidency to the North since it looks like APC will zone to South West.

My question is this. Why do the Igbos love PDP so much that they twice voted for PDP against Ojukwu- their greatest hero.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Between Ojukwu And Igbos Love For PDP by tamdun: 5:20pm On Jan 23, 2022
They abandoned ojukwu for pdp cheesy
I swear remote control dey pdp hand,even if PDP insult their mama, they'll still vote pdp, them go chose pdp over their mama any day
Re: Between Ojukwu And Igbos Love For PDP by headSmasher: 5:33pm On Jan 23, 2022
So insightful revelation, like slavery, the Igbos glued to the PDP but wanted the APC presidency, is that not witchcraft

1 Like

Re: Between Ojukwu And Igbos Love For PDP by Is04970: 5:41pm On Jan 23, 2022
Some Ibos don't consider him a hero because he bolted.

1 Like

Re: Between Ojukwu And Igbos Love For PDP by Shetemi12(m): 5:57pm On Jan 23, 2022
Our dear people from the east are my favorite
They don't usually know what to do

1 Like

Re: Between Ojukwu And Igbos Love For PDP by TooNoisy(f): 8:25pm On Jan 23, 2022
Is04970:
Some Ibos don't consider him a hero because he bolted.

All Igbos on Nairaland consider him their hero. They worship him. He started Biafra. So I wonder why they will reject him as their president and vite for Yar Adua - a Fulani.

And now they are claiming they want Igbo president but they clearly are going to vote for Atiku. Anyim, Moghalu, Umahi and Monye are all contesting and all they will end up voting for Atiku even in PDP primaries.

3 Likes

Re: Between Ojukwu And Igbos Love For PDP by TooNoisy(f): 8:28pm On Jan 23, 2022
headSmasher:
So insightful revelation, like slavery, the Igbos glued to the PDP but wanted the APC presidency, is that not witchcraft

It is the greatest witchcraft. They have called APC - Almajeri and Albert Peoples party for 7 years. Then they expect that APC will give Umahi presidential ticket. Umahi that just crossed over two weeks ago. Even Ben Ayade who crossed over before Umahi isn't asking for presidential ticket. But Umahi feels he should be given the ticket ahead of Osinbajo and Tinubu... like complete madness and witchcraft.

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

What Needs To Be Done To Make Heavy Manufacturing Possible In Nigeria / 2023: Stakeholders Nominate Rev Umo Eno As Gov Emmanuel's Successor / Why Buhari Is Worried About The Coup In Guinea Bissau

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.