Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,165 members, 7,936,599 topics. Date: Saturday, 31 August 2024 at 05:30 PM

Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau (19357 Views)

Heavy Gunfire At Guinea Presidential Palace. Military Coup Ongoing (Video) / Haitian President Jovenel Moise Burial: Gunfire Breaks Out At Funeral (Photos) / Cipriano Cassamá Resigns As President Of Guinea Bissau After One Day In Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by NairaMaster1(m): 6:22pm On Feb 01, 2022
Mindlog:
Military men are thirsting for presidential powers.

Good for useless African leaders.
Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by dhope: 6:34pm On Feb 01, 2022
joshjc:
Ecowas should mobilise a strong military force and deal with any nation that there's coup
Mobilize military force to keep defending corrupt politicians in power? Democracy doesn't look like political solution to govern people in Africa.
Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by Realists(m): 6:35pm On Feb 01, 2022
southsouthking:
Africa has been cursed.
God has left Africa long time ago.

You are a liar, I was lost before, but God in his infinite mercy, opened my eyes that all those years he was still with me. God is every where, only we choose to be blind to him.

Allah is the greatest.
Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by Ade3131: 6:39pm On Feb 01, 2022
okerekeikpo:
Our generals here no get balls

Military wey no fit defeat Boko Haram for almost two decades, that one na military?
Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by peterious10(m): 6:44pm On Feb 01, 2022
fergie001:

BBC

I see Army taking over Nigeria before 2023 elections ����
Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by Nobody: 6:47pm On Feb 01, 2022
2elliot:
you know the nhmbernof weapons for civilians hands now for naija?

I could say the same thing for army rule times, you know.
Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by Man4djob: 6:50pm On Feb 01, 2022
Macgyver1:

Taaa coup is needed to flush these old men
To bring back anoda Abacha?
How old are u? I want to confirm sth

2 Likes

Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by Nobody: 6:50pm On Feb 01, 2022
Omodua:
Good.
When will it happen in Nigeria. We need it badly to sanitize the system. Unfortunately, our soldiers don't have the balls. Era of Nzeogwu or Gideon Orkar is gone. These were real soldiers. Not the baby and overfed soldiers we have today.

Thanks to Nzeogwu, we ended up with four years of inter-ethic violence, pogroms,and a brutal civil war...simply because the man could not resign his commission, and go into politics, and present his programme....peacefully.

And thanks to Orkar, we very nearly entered into civil war round 2....plus his coup was poorly planned. Did not control the vital infantry units, and got messed up as a result.

And by extension, you should also hail Buhari, who had the balls, and was a real soldier...in your opinion, to overthrow a civillian government that was just as corrupt as the one he runs now. No be man thing be that. Instead of him to resign and go into politics then, he trhew them out...and sent us backward for another 15 years for nothing.

Plus, you guys call for sanity, then when sanity involves arresting your fave politican, you people will start crying foul.Right.

1 Like

Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by Abujaexpress: 6:57pm On Feb 01, 2022
Men on suit and ties humble themselves. They sat on the floor like school pupils in northern Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by tnerro1(m): 7:05pm On Feb 01, 2022
Tallesty1:
I have a feeling that this would have happened in Nigeria if Buhari isn't the president

Any coup against a southern president by northern officials will break this country . So don’t pray for it
Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by Nobody: 7:24pm On Feb 01, 2022
Tallesty1:
I have a feeling that this would have happened in Nigeria if Buhari isn't the president

People have always called for coup since 1999...

Like this one from 2013....

There is panic in the Nigerian presidential villa, Abuja over a secret document prepared by a group of senior Army officers detailing the crisis rocking the Nigeria Army over recruitments and promotion exercises being carried out by the Chief of Army Staff, Lt General Azubuike Ihejirika among other issues. The officers operating under the name “Group for the Salvation of the Nigerian Army and the Motherland (GROSNAMM)” however warned in the document that the crisis in the Army has already generated serious heat that can lead to mutiny in the military barracks and eventually result in a conflagration in the polity.

According to them “The President, the National Assembly, the Minister of Defence and the National Security adviser should know that the actions and inactions of General Ihejirika portend great danger for the army and the country at large. A disgruntled officer corps is a recipe for disaster. It means the army will lack unity, cohesion and purpose. It will be pre- occupied with fighting itself, as our terrible experiences of 1966 -67 showed. Already, information filtering out of the barracks indicate rising tension which is not unconnected with the injustices discussed above. There are even reports of officers moving their immediate families out of the barracks, away from harms way. President Jonathan needs to act and act NOW. He must not allow himself to be a pawn in a grand design to destroy his government by brewing the kind of discontent within the Nigerian Armed Forces which could become contagious and eventually engulf the entire society?” The document which content could however not be verified by iReports-ng.com as none of those contacted in government was ready to speak on it, is reproduced below unedited:

Sauce :https://www.nairaland.com/1180803/panic-presidency-over-mounting-tension

That's from 2013. Did the coup happen? No.
Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by kansoboy: 7:29pm On Feb 01, 2022
southsouthking:
Africa has been cursed.

Bruce Willis
Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by Nobody: 7:39pm On Feb 01, 2022
southsouthking:
Africa has been cursed.

Why was Africa cursed? Just because your imported and imposed system of government is in jeopardy? Na wa o.
Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by Nobody: 8:14pm On Feb 01, 2022
fergie001:

BBC
when are they coming here please?
Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by dfrost: 8:39pm On Feb 01, 2022
joshjc:
Ecowas should mobilise a strong military force and deal with any nation that there's coup

So that's the only thing ECOWAS stands for? I never knew cheesy grin
Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by Badonasty(m): 8:40pm On Feb 01, 2022
I won’t be surprised if it’s France that’s behind all these coups
Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by sirp9898(m): 8:54pm On Feb 01, 2022
Since Nigeria that suppose be the watchdog of west Africa is busy wickeding her citizenry's
The other west Africa country's is no afraid again
Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by zumbigbo(m): 9:37pm On Feb 01, 2022
BlackBaron:
Francophone West African countries are more or less accursed back water states.

The lack of general knowledge about African countries is stunning. Yet, ask a Nigerian about Dubai or New York, different kasala.

1 Like

Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by Kirkman: 10:51pm On Feb 01, 2022
joshjc:
Like how e wan take happen?

Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by Nobody: 10:56pm On Feb 01, 2022
Good news, coup appears to have been quashed...

BISSAU, Feb 1 (Reuters) - Guinea-Bissau's President Umaro Sissoco Embalo survived an attempted coup on Tuesday but said many members of the security forces had been killed repelling an attack on democracy that may have been linked to drug trafficking.

Earlier, heavy gunfire rang out near a government compound where Embalo had been chairing a cabinet meeting. The situation was unclear for several hours, during which the African Union and West African bloc ECOWAS condemned what they called "an attempted coup".

The fast-moving events in the former Portuguese colony on the West African coast came just over a week after the military in Burkina Faso, another country in the region, deposed the president there. read more

Appearing in the evening in a video posted on the Guinea-Bissau presidency's Facebook page, Embalo said attackers had tried to enter the compound just after the cabinet meeting but had been repelled.

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/heavy-gunfire-heard-near-guinea-bissau-presidential-palace-2022-02-01/

Finally some sanity. Let us hope that we the people learn that democracy is hard work, not ready made.
Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by KayCee92(m): 11:01pm On Feb 01, 2022
UAE123:
What are the military men waiting for in Nigeria. Buhari's government has over suffocated Nigerians that they need to be chased out of government

Shut up o. What's ur problem. U want this chaos abi. Better shut up. Which kind wahala be this grin
Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by PaNnamdi: 7:04am On Feb 02, 2022
Abujaexpress:
Men on suit and ties humble themselves. They sat on the floor like school pupils in northern Nigeria
Dem nor get gun
Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by Omodua(m): 4:06pm On Feb 03, 2022
backbencher:

Thanks to Nzeogwu, we ended up with four years of inter-ethic violence, pogroms,and a brutal civil war...simply because the man could not resign his commission, and go into politics, and present his programme....peacefully.

And thanks to Orkar, we very nearly entered into civil war round 2....plus his coup was poorly planned. Did not control the vital infantry units, and got messed up as a result.

And by extension, you should also hail Buhari, who had the balls, and was a real soldier...in your opinion, to overthrow a civillian government that was just as corrupt as the one he runs now. No be man thing be that. Instead of him to resign and go into politics then, he trhew them out...and sent us backward for another 15 years for nothing.

Plus, you guys call for sanity, then when sanity involves arresting your fave politican, you people will start crying foul.Right.
You're talking of the past. Talk of the present. Life is dynamic. And the dynamism should be related to the present. Buhari has failed. A mitigated disaster. Coup is the only option to remove him. Not Ballot box. You know his antecedents. He has virtually destroyed Nigeria.
Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by Nobody: 6:14pm On Feb 03, 2022
Omodua:
You're talking of the past. Talk of the present. Life is dynamic. And the dynamism should be related to the present. Buhari has failed. A mitigated disaster. Coup is the only option to remove him. Not Ballot box. You know his antecedents. He has virtually destroyed Nigeria.

You should know that what you are saying...and yes, Buhari is a failure, was said in 1965, and 1983, and each time, we ended up with brutal army rule (in 1983, we ended up with Buhari round 1)

Plus, the Army is made up of Nigerians like the civilian leadership are made up of Nigerians. Corruption is in the Army the same way as it is in the civillian rule.The Army is as much a reflection of the Nigerian people as their civillian rulers, only they have guns. Nothing will change, and you know it.

I regard all of Nigeria's civillian rulers as unmitigated failures. Nigeria has not developed properly since 1999. But millitary rule...won't work. And we all know i

Lord knows how many times people have tried Army rule with the idea that 'it would be better' Every time, within ten years, it was worse.

We have to work harder at our democracy. Because democracy is not working in Nigeria because Nigerians prefer to vote and go home.

1 Like

Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by Omodua(m): 10:51am On Feb 08, 2022
backbencher:

You should know that what you are saying...and yes, Buhari is a failure, was said in 1965, and 1983, and each time, we ended up with brutal army rule (in 1983, we ended up with Buhari round 1)

Plus, the Army is made up of Nigerians like the civilian leadership are made up of Nigerians. Corruption is in the Army the same way as it is in the civillian rule.The Army is as much a reflection of the Nigerian people as their civillian rulers, only they have guns. Nothing will change, and you know it.

I regard all of Nigeria's civillian rulers as unmitigated failures. Nigeria has not developed properly since 1999. But millitary rule...won't work. And we all know i

Lord knows how many times people have tried Army rule with the idea that 'it would be better' Every time, within ten years, it was worse.

We have to work harder at our democracy. Because democracy is not working in Nigeria because Nigerians prefer to vote and go home.
I still vote for Military rule. Under the military we had breathing of life. No insurgency. No banditry. Farmers were happy going to their farms. There was peace in the Land. Not graveyard peace.
Buhari has mismanaged our diversity. Everywhere IDP camps. And is it something to be proud of?
Think again. Your support for Democracy is misplaced!
Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by Nobody: 10:54am On Feb 08, 2022
Omodua:
I still vote for Military rule. Under the military we had breathing of life. No insurgency. No banditry. Farmers were happy going to their farms. There was peace in the Land. Not graveyard peace.
Buhari has mismanaged our diversity. Everywhere IDP camps. And is it something to be proud of?
Think again. Your support for Democracy is misplaced!

Actually, there wasn't peace in the land, there was violence , and the same tribal and religious warfare was present under army rule.

And the economy was bad.

I grew up under Army rule. I know what I saw, and in addition freedom of speech and conscience was shut down

Army rule does not look nice, the way you see it.

1 Like

Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by Omodua(m): 11:26am On Feb 08, 2022
backbencher:

Actually, there wasn't peace in the land, there was violence , and the same tribal and religious warfare was present under army rule.

And the economy was bad.

I grew up under Army rule. I know what I saw, and in addition freedom of speech and conscience was shut down

Army rule does not look nice, the way you see it.
Comparatively, Army rule was better. That's my grouse. Under civilian democracy, Nigeria's experiencing anomie and tension. No respite. Fulani ethnic cleansing was not there or rife. There was relative peace. And we want such template to thrive at the moment.
Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by Nobody: 12:10pm On Feb 08, 2022
Omodua:
Comparatively, Army rule was better. That's my grouse. Under civilian democracy, Nigeria's experiencing anomie and tension. No respite. Fulani ethnic cleansing was not there or rife. There was relative peace. And we want such template to thrive at the moment.

There was a lot of ethinc and religious violence under army rule.

Need i remind you of the pogroms of the 1960s and the long religious conflict of the 1980s.

Also, no freedom of speech at all.

If you want things to be better, run for office. Participate. Campaign. Change

1 Like

Re: Sustained Gunfire Amid Reports Of Military Coup In Guinea Bissau by Omodua(m): 11:41pm On Feb 10, 2022
backbencher:

There was a lot of ethinc and religious violence under army rule.

Need i remind you of the pogroms of the 1960s and the long religious conflict of the 1980s.

Also, no freedom of speech at all.

If you want things to be better, run for office. Participate. Campaign. Change
Yes. There was strife under previous Democratic experiment. But not at the scale we are witnessing today. Under Buhari, life is meaningless and brutish. Banditry and Fulani hegemony. IDP camps dotted over the place. Essence of leadership is lost and no hope for tomorrow as life is cheapened. National pride is lost in ethnic cleansing. We are no longer at ease. The list goes on and on...!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

US Intel Indicates War Between Israel And Hezbollah Inching Closer / Joe Biden Will Not Be President / Iraq Proposes Legislation To Lower The Legal Age Of Marriage For Girls To 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.