Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,397 members, 7,950,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 01:48 AM

. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / . (1225 Views)

Nigerian Lady Celebrates Bagging A PhD In Mathematics At 27 (Photos) / Nigerian Couple Bag Phds In Mathematics / 50 Courses You Can Study Without Credit In Mathematics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by degreee: 1:37pm On Apr 05, 2022
Re: . by degreee: 1:39pm On Apr 05, 2022
jarushub , basalt , gerrard59 , tensazangetsu20 , mrphysics , ideaspro , mynd44 , lalasticlacla
Re: . by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:40pm On Apr 05, 2022
Definitely. Computer science is a subset of mathematics. Maths is definitely a good degree. If that's your department, stay put.
Re: . by dayoscape: 1:41pm On Apr 05, 2022
Yeah sure

I sell old Facebook accounts
Check my signature
Re: . by degreee: 1:43pm On Apr 05, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
Definitely. Computer science is a subset of mathematics. Maths is definitely a good degree. If that's your department, stay put.
ok, thank you.
no, maths is not my department but i'm planning to cross
Re: . by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:44pm On Apr 05, 2022
degreee:

ok, thank you.
no, maths is not my department but i'm planning to cross

Then no issues. You are making a good choice.
Re: . by degreee: 1:45pm On Apr 05, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Then no issues. You are making a good choice.
thanks boss
Re: . by Yohans(m): 3:21pm On Apr 05, 2022
Yes you can.
Re: . by IdeasPro(m): 3:25pm On Apr 05, 2022
degreee:
jarushub , basalt , gerrard59 , tensazangetsu20 , mrphysics , ideaspro , mynd44 , lalasticlacla
Yes, you don't even need PGD for it.

1 Like

Re: . by Gerrard59(m): 5:18pm On Apr 05, 2022
degreee:
can i further msc in computer science or I.T related courses with bsc in maths?

i am an engr student with the aim of crossing over to math department in 200l.
i should have crossed to physics or computer science. but in my school here at uniben, it is almost impossible to achieve 1.1 in those departments (and this might be a disadvantage to my plan).

my view of crossing over to faculty of physical science is to 'japa'(not for looking for job). so with many submissions i've read here on nairaland, i see engr as a pure waste of my 'time', coulpled with ASUU strike.

ps: i don't have any challenge academically.

Yes to your question. Mathematics is the most similar course to CS, next is Physics. In the meantime, learn how to code so that it is a job you use to japa, not as a postgraduate student. You could later pursue a masters in CS after earning some dollars as a programmer. wink

At the bold, I am glad you have seen the reason Tensa20 and I encouraged young folks to study 4-year course instead of 5.
Re: . by 7victor(m): 8:41pm On Apr 05, 2022
If you want to do MSc in computer science, you will be required to do a PGD in computer science.

Although Mathematics statistics and computer science are all one department and in a normal University, any graduate in Mathematics should be very good in computer science, because you would be offering computer science courses.

So you will not need a PGD to do MSc in computer science.

But in Nigeria, you need PGD in most Universities because they know you didn't acquire enough computer science knowledge as a Mathematics student.
Re: . by The5DME(m): 10:31am On Apr 06, 2022
degreee:
can i further msc in computer science or I.T related courses with bsc in maths?

i am an engr student with the aim of crossing over to math department in 200l.
i should have crossed to physics or computer science. but in my school here at uniben, it is almost impossible to achieve 1.1 in those departments (and this might be a disadvantage to my plan).

my view of crossing over to faculty of physical science is to 'japa'(not for looking for job). so with many submissions i've read here on nairaland, i see engr as a pure waste of my 'time', coulpled with ASUU strike.

ps: i don't have any challenge academically.
This was the same reason I switched from computer engineering to applied mathematics in this same Uniben and now, there's a strike that's been on for close to 2 months.
Re: . by degreee: 11:31am On Apr 06, 2022
The5DME:
This was the same reason I switched from computer engineering to applied mathematics in this same Uniben and now, there's a strike that's been on for close to 2 months.
at least that is better,
you'll be saving yourself one year.
or do you ever regret doing that?
and pls, is there any way i can contact you?
Re: . by The5DME(m): 11:33am On Apr 06, 2022
degreee:

at least that is better,
you'll be saving yourself one year.
or do you ever regret doing that?
and pls, is there any way i can contact you?
I was just recently admitted into the Mathematics department, I forgot to add that. So the strike is preventing me from resuming.

You can contact send me a DM through Nairaland.
Re: . by CollinsNeuman: 5:00pm On Apr 06, 2022
7victor:
If you want to do MSc in computer science, you will be required to do a PGD in computer science.

Although Mathematics statistics and computer science are all one department and in a normal University, any graduate in Mathematics should be very good in computer science, because you would be offering computer science courses.

So you will not need a PGD to do MSc in computer science.

But in Nigeria, you need PGD in most Universities because they know you didn't acquire enough computer science knowledge as a Mathematics student.

PGD Never!!! I beg to differ. From Bsc mathematic you'll move straight to MSC computer science without any PGD. Please ask around.

Dear OP, YOU'RE making the best decision ever! When you do maths, you'll understand better the principle of computation.
Re: . by atom080: 6:30pm On Apr 06, 2022
This is FP worthy, lalasticlacla mynd44
Re: . by Ajibade123(m): 11:08pm On Apr 06, 2022
CollinsNeuman:

PGD Never!!! I beg to differ. From Bsc mathematic you'll move straight to MSC computer science without any PGD. Please ask around.

Dear OP, YOU'RE making the best decision ever! When you do maths, you'll understand better the principle of computation.
which school??
Re: . by Ajibade123(m): 11:09pm On Apr 06, 2022
as a math student you will have some computer courses as electives don't miss them
Re: . by HeavenVGate: 5:02pm On Apr 10, 2022
CollinsNeuman:

I don't know of other universities but you will need PGD to do so here in futminna.

(1) (Reply)

NECO Mathematics Free Questions And Answers 2022 / LASU Lockout Voters From Exercising Their Rights Alleged Thugs Stationed (VIDEO) / Peter Obi's Interview Unsettles Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.